Menu

Teen girl and monthly issue - vacation

Just Kate

We are going to the beach in a few weeks and dd (14) will most likely have her period the whole time we are there. She has tried and tried to use tampons, but just can’t. She is super bummed because we are letting her bring a friend and she is worried that she won’t be able to go into the pool or ocean and will make the whole trip bad. I wish I could help her, but other than trying to explain how to insert a tampon correctly (again), I just don’t know what to do. Oh and we have watched many YouTube videos, still with no luck. Thoughts or suggestions??

We tried period swimwear when my kid had lifeguard training.  Said kid feels unable to use tampons.  She said the period swimwear did work.

I would try finding the smallest available tampon with a plastic applicator (my other kid finds these the only ones she can really use).  Let her practice before the trip.  Keep it ready as an option.  I would also bring period swimwear as a second layer of protection.  If she still can't bear to use a tampon on the trip, maybe she can swim on her lighter days with the period swimwear.

• Thanks 1

If she hasn't tried U by Kotex Click tampons, she should. They are the only ones my daughter likes. I hate tampons myself and I find them tolerable too. They are shorter than most. 

What helped my DD14 most was telling her to aim for the small of her back, not straight up. 

Poor girl; I remember those days! DD did go through a lot of tampons before she was able to get the hang of it but now she uses them almost exclusively.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SKL said:

We tried period swimwear when my kid had lifeguard training.  Said kid feels unable to use tampons.  She said the period swimwear did work.

I would try finding the smallest available tampon with a plastic applicator (my other kid finds these the only ones she can really use).  Let her practice before the trip.  Keep it ready as an option.  I would also bring period swimwear as a second layer of protection.  If she still can't bear to use a tampon on the trip, maybe she can swim on her lighter days with the period swimwear.

I’m so glad to know they worked!  We will definitely pack tampons and take with us to have dd try again. The friend who is coming with us does wear tampons (dd told me) so maybe she can provide her with some ideas on using them that I haven’t thought of. I will definitely buy the period swimwear and give it a try. Thanks!!

What brand did your dd try?

3 minutes ago, MercyA said:

If she hasn't tried U by Kotex Click tampons, she should. They are the only ones my daughter likes. I hate tampons myself and I find them tolerable too. They are shorter than most. 

What helped my DD14 most was telling her to aim for the small of her back, not straight up. 

Poor girl; I remember those days! DD did go through a lot of tampons before she was able to get the hang of it but now she uses them almost exclusively.

Great tip! I will purchase that brand. Thank you. I always use tampax, so that’s the brand dd has tried. 

Last summer we were at the beach for a dance competition and we had the same issue. Dd tried and tried, but just couldn’t figure out how to use the tampons. Since we were there with dance friends, she was upset that she couldn’t go in the water with them. I hate that it’s happening again this year (terrible luck!!). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

I’m so glad to know they worked!  We will definitely pack tampons and take with us to have dd try again. The friend who is coming with us does wear tampons (dd told me) so maybe she can provide her with some ideas on using them that I haven’t thought of. I will definitely buy the period swimwear and give it a try. Thanks!!

What brand did your dd try?

I think it’s called Ruby Love.  Not cheap, but you only need one or two.

• Thanks 1

When I was that age, I used to stand on the bathroom floor with one foot on the toilet seat, which kind of relaxed and opened up the area a bit.  Key is to push more backwards than up, and to use an applicator.  Some of my friends used Vaseline, which is not recommended but helpful.  I found that the smooth applicators made all the difference.  

• Like 2

Definitely try the period swim bottoms. I’m tempted by them myself!

Both of my girls got their periods at 10 (so smaller kids). They were able to use “lite” tampons, though I see those less in stores these days. There are a few brands that used to be marketed as slim or lite or teen. I’d be sure to try those. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Do they still sell tampons without applicators?  OB was the brand years ago.  No applicator was better for me.

Same. If I have to use a tampon with an applicator, I pull it out of the applicator because it just makes things more complicated. 

5 hours ago, Just Kate said:

Great tip! I will purchase that brand. Thank you. I always use tampax, so that’s the brand dd has tried. 

Last summer we were at the beach for a dance competition and we had the same issue. Dd tried and tried, but just couldn’t figure out how to use the tampons. Since we were there with dance friends, she was upset that she couldn’t go in the water with them. I hate that it’s happening again this year (terrible luck!!). 

Oh, tampax are much harder to use, much longer. The Click kotex are so much smaller. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Oh, tampax are much harder to use, much longer. The Click kotex are so much smaller. 

Yes, my daughter can use Click Kotex in both Regular and Super with no problem at all but didn't like even the Light Tampax. 

Thanks, Katie, for recommending them to ME years ago! ❤️

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

When I was that age, I used to stand on the bathroom floor with one foot on the toilet seat, which kind of relaxed and opened up the area a bit.  Key is to push more backwards than up, and to use an applicator.  Some of my friends used Vaseline, which is not recommended but helpful.  I found that the smooth applicators made all the difference.  

KY Jelly would accomplish the same thing, I think, and is safer than Vaseline. I also think it helps when you have enough flow to not need another lubricant. 

I remember the diagrams in the Tampax packages showing you to stand with a foot on the toilet! I wonder if they still include those little booklets. 

11 hours ago, MercyA said:

This helped me too. Along with trying it in a tub so I could try doing it in different positions. I like the smooth plastic applicators and start with a "lite" one. 

• Like 1

I think that aiming up and back helps, as well as standing with one foot up on the toilet. I had trouble with tampons when I was younger and those two things fixed the problem, ALONG WITH realizing that you had to push it up further than I had been. They’re terribly uncomfortable if not pushed up far enough.

1 hour ago, Emba said:

I think that aiming up and back helps, as well as standing with one foot up on the toilet. I had trouble with tampons when I was younger and those two things fixed the problem, ALONG WITH realizing that you had to push it up further than I had been. They’re terribly uncomfortable if not pushed up far enough.

Yes - a teacher in 5 or 6th grade sex education told us that - that if you can feel it, it means it isn't high enough. She also told us if she comes back from the bathroom then immediately excuses herself to go right back there, to assume that her tampon was in wrong, lol. (public school, 5th and 6th grade they separated the boys and girls, and had us learn about reproduction, body parts, periods, etc. Even passed around two tampons, one in the applicator, one out, and also showed us one that was soaking in water to see how it expanded. I think 5th grade boys only learned about boy bodies and issues, girls learned only about girls. In 6th grade we learned about both, but still in separate gender divided classes)

So, what is the consensus on period swim bottoms, as far as brand? About to order some for DD11, as her cycle is a bit irregular, so light, but more often, and it is summer and we have a pool in our neighborhood. too hot to do anything outside BUT swim - heat advisories for "feels like" temps up to 111 F yesterday!. 

I know when this stuff first came out, several people said the Thinx brand panties were tight and gave wedgies or something, just not cut generously, so wanted to ask about brand. 

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

So, what is the consensus on period swim bottoms, as far as brand? About to order some for DD11, as her cycle is a bit irregular, so light, but more often, and it is summer and we have a pool in our neighborhood. too hot to do anything outside BUT swim - heat advisories for "feels like" temps up to 111 F yesterday!. 

I know when this stuff first came out, several people said the Thinx brand panties were tight and gave wedgies or something, just not cut generously, so wanted to ask about brand. 

I don't have the swim ones, but have Thinx undies and I they don't give wedgies and fit just like normal underwear.  No complaints on sizing there from dd or me.

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I’m still researching but I think I’m going to try Ruby Love because the marketing says the swimsuit has 3 tampons of protection (vs 2 for other brands). I am just buying back bottoms so she can wear with any top. 

• Like 2

Just now, Just Kate said:

I’m still researching but I think I’m going to try Ruby Love because the marketing says the swimsuit has 3 tampons of protection (vs 2 for other brands). I am just buying back bottoms so she can wear with any top. 

ooh, good to know. And same, just going to get basic bottoms. She actually wears swim shorts, so she'll have to wear these under those (they have built in bikini bottoms, but better more layers than too few, and better layers than not swimming at all!. If it works out, she can always get some other shorts to wear over these, that don't have the built in bikini bottoms. 

13 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

We have the ruby love swimwear and the kids like it. 

5 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

We have the ruby love swimwear and the kids like it. 

ok just ordered the hipster bottoms. Ouch on the price! I guess we will wash out right away, and re wear the next day, so one should be fine. But between this and her only like lands end swimwear, her swimming is not cheap, lol. At least, not compared to the littler kids who will wear Target stuff. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

Do your kids also use tampons? 

They do now but didn't when we first got them.  We swim a lot and never had issues.

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

ok just ordered the hipster bottoms. Ouch on the price! I guess we will wash out right away, and re wear the next day, so one should be fine. But between this and her only like lands end swimwear, her swimming is not cheap, lol. At least, not compared to the littler kids who will wear Target stuff. 

Yes,  it is.