Menu

Updates 2023 (job hunt etc)

heartlikealion

I had trouble finding the water dept. Half the street was blocked off and I don’t understand the parking at all yet. What do I owe if I pay using the app? There are no rates marked, no actual meters for quarters. There was a parking lot that charged $9. 

I parked illegally for less than 5 min to run inside and see what the wait time was. They said a little under an hour probably. I knew I had no time. Plus traffic was so bad you have to add onto the GPS estimate I got last night. Traffic was a nightmare really… all these one way streets, forks you don’t expect (gps suddenly saying “stay left of the fork”), streets without visible street name signs. My gps says turn on ____ street. Ok is that here?? I see no label. 

I normally avoid pastries these days but they had complimentary food at our morning presentation/training. I was the only new employee that took one lol I don’t care, I’m not embarrassed. I believe am older than the other new hires. And none of us will work in the same branch after training. 

We were sent to a room to do paperwork. We won’t meet back up til 1 which means I have enough time to go get lunch. I might go to a nearby hospital cafeteria so I don’t have ti drive. 

The staff agreed that the water dept is a nightmare and takes forever so I’m not sure when I’ll go back. At this rate I might have to go there on Friday (my day off) as I’m scheduled to work at 9 the other days and the water dept opens at 8. 

• Like 7

I don’t want to jump into school now but there is some tuition assistance for an MLS/MLIS. No idea pay grade. 

I got a tour of most of this branch. The teen zone is amazing. I’ll have to take ds… though it may or may not appeal to him. There is a music recording area and other cool things. Apparently Best Buy sponsors these teen zones for several places, constantly upgrading the computers in the teen zone. 

They have a large population of illiterate people (40%) and a lot of people that still check out CDs and DVDs. 600 DVDs in that branch and typically 300 checked out at a time. You can take home 30 at once! Hearing this made me feel like “ohhh this is a population I can connect with” given my experience with a very poor area (and my own financial obstacles lol I get not always wanting to pay for streaming!). 

I asked if I could wear my combat boots lol they said yes. Screw these heels 🤣 I figured yes when I saw an employee wearing red ones getting into a library van. 

• Like 20

Drove to the gym to test location. Not worth it. Crazy traffic and took over 20 min. Online estimate was faster.

When I can I’ll get back to using my exercise bike & at-home strength training equipment. It sucks because I like the “get out of the house” option the gym grants me. Oh well. 

I checked on kitty and the house was freezing. Don’t ask me why landlord left it on 55 a/c. He was in there last because he was finishing something as I left the other day. I moved it to heat. Poor kitty. 

I like the staff but I won’t actually work with most of the people I’ve met… different branches. 

My unemployment money is processing. My food stamps will automatically end in Dec so I won’t do anything. 

You can get a raise if you’re bilingual and pass a test but I’ve failed every attempt to learn Spanish so not sure how much I’d have to do to meet the requirements. They do have Mango (never tried. I’ve tried just about every other popular language program plus 4 college Spanish classes). 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

You can get a raise if you’re bilingual and pass a test but I’ve failed every attempt to learn Spanish so not sure how much I’d have to do to meet the requirements. They do have Mango (never tried. I’ve tried just about every other popular language program plus 4 college Spanish classes). 

Does it have to be Spanish?

I'm rubbish at spoken languages, but was top of my Auslan class for receptive skills and third in productive. Maybe you'd find the same for ASL.

1 minute ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Does it have to be Spanish?

I'm rubbish at spoken languages, but was top of my Auslan class for receptive skills and third in productive. Maybe you'd find the same for ASL.

I don’t know what languages they accept but I know way more about Spanish than ASL. The test is over the phone so I doubt there’s an ASL test. 

2 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I don’t know what languages they accept but I know way more about Spanish than ASL. The test is over the phone so I doubt there’s an ASL test. 

Who knows? They have video calls these days!

Anyway, it was just a thought. I'm all in favour of you having pay rises.

Just now, Rosie_0801 said:

Who knows? They have video calls these days!

Anyway, it was just a thought. I'm all in favour of you having pay rises.

I’ll try to find out from someone else what the test entails to know how in depth it is. I do still own Spanish books (Getting Started with Spanish). But I went through like 22 levels of Duolingo and never felt like I could speak it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

I’ll try to find out from someone else what the test entails to know how in depth it is. I do still own Spanish books (Getting Started with Spanish). But I went through like 22 levels of Duolingo and never felt like I could speak it

In order to practice speaking, you need to find a conversation partner. There are various sites online to do this where you can help a native Spanish speaker improve their English and they will help you with Spanish. Things like Duolingo are more for building vocabulary. The only way to really get proficient at understanding and speaking Spanish is to actually regularly converse in Spanish, no computer program or book alone will get you there.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Frances said:

In order to practice speaking, you need to find a conversation partner. There are various sites online to do this where you can help a native Spanish speaker improve their English and they will help you with Spanish. Things like Duolingo are more for building vocabulary. The only way to really get proficient at understanding and speaking Spanish is to actually regularly converse in Spanish, no computer program or book alone will get you there.

This. I had the issue with French. I took four semesters in college, and conversation was my weak spot. I could read and write it very well. I had to pay a t.a. to practice with me because there were no study groups.

• Like 1

I got to practice some stuff today and activated my library card. It comes with perks!! I can get me and others (number varies by facility) into local places like museums & the zoo. So basically I can take the kids for free. It’s good once every 30 days. 

Toured the grant funded maker space. They have so much there (button making, T-shirts, music recording, sewing etc). Some is off limits even to us but we were allowed to play with certain things. I played the drums 😆

IMG_5789.jpeg

• Like 15

1 minute ago, WildflowerMom said:

What kind of heavenly library is this!?!? Wow!!!!! 

They even give the teens temp bus passes in the maker space so they can travel to the branches easier. They have to go through certain courses on the computers here to get access to other certain things (like time inside the recording studio). 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

This is awesome!!!    I wish this could be a feature at all libraries or at least the major library in each region.   Ds would’ve been all over this stuff and can you imagine the good it could do, especially with teens?!

We aren't getting grants for most of iyr libraries but the new i w near me haa a number of machines for Public use.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2023 at 6:06 PM, heartlikealion said:

I asked if I could wear my combat boots lol they said yes. Screw these heels 🤣 I figured yes when I saw an employee wearing red ones getting into a library van. 

One of the cons to my new job was going from wearing sweats to work to business casual.  I cobbled together a pretty decent capsule wardrobe starting with what I had and adding a few pieces.  I was ready.  As it turns out, the office is chilly and people wear whatever they want.  We're still more dressed up than the college students in their pjs.  I'm wearing jeans or yoga pants and sweatshirts most days along with my boots. 

Getting used to a new job is a LOT.  I wouldn't worry about the Spanish for a while.  Later on, you may meet a conversation partner at work; perhaps if you crash an ESL class if they have them there.  I wouldn't even think about it until the new year.  You have so much going on.

It stinks that you have to go to the water company in person.  You'd think they'd be just as invested as the general public in NOT having people come to the office.  Why can't they get signatures and stuff when they are AT your house turning on the water?  I'll go to great lengths to avoid traffic, but going without water is out of the question.

8 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I think I’m too overwhelmed to pursue all this now. It’s sounding like more and more work. 

• Like 6

Well the locals told me the water dept usually takes longer than their estimate. They open at 8 and I have work at 9. But my landlord said if you’re one of the first ones there you can get out in 10 min. However, I don’t know if there’s a line at the door. If I can manage tomorrow I’ll show up early and try. But I’ve been so physically exhausted. I did not check on the cat today. It’s in the opposite direction and difficult to head that way from the library due to traffic and one-way streets. I’ve also been freezing for about 2 days solid. The library is cold and I wore a jacket one day and a thick sweater today but we all agreed it’s cold. And it’s cold outside so not looking forward to literally standing outside the water dept if I need to line up. 

My main motivation to try before my day off is that the water doesn’t heat up well in the cottage. Also I have no way to do much here. I bought a couple frozen meals but have to store them in my friend’s deep freeze in her garage as all I have here is a keg fridge which just fits a few bottles or something small like a yogurt cup.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

No worries Heart, you need to protect your new position. I get it. Sometimes it is best to not go into specifics. For some pretty serious reasons, I never talk about my husband's work in any detail.

I only hear funny storiea that have nothing to do w dh's job.  In fact, 2 out of 3 kids have clearances too.  And I know that medical personnel, like your husband, Frances, also have provacy concerns fuecto patient privacy.  As should lawyers-   however; I was shocked when around 6 years ago, I heard a female lawyer discussing a female  murderer she was representing in a grocery line.  I don't live in such a big city that I couldn’t figure out who she was talking about.

Paid for water but it’s still not on. I dunno why I got a note saying I wasn’t home… that shouldn’t matter? And Amazon said they delivered a package but it’s not there. I can’t report it missing for another day according to their contact us. I don’t think it was stolen. I think the notification was wrong. And no, they don’t send me pics of my deliveries. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

My dh always gets wrong delivery times from Amazon.  They say they will deliver by 9pm and anytime he sees that notice, he knows it is going to be there the next day.  We don't get 9pm deliveries ever here.

It said it had been delivered. I drove to the house the other night just so I didn’t leave a package on the porch. And it wasn’t there at all nor tonight when I went by to test the water. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

Well we have had that too. Says it was delivered but is delivered the next day.

I've had that happen too. DH speculates that they are on such a tight schedule that sometimes they fudge their deliveries so they can get back in time. Usually, the package will come the next day, but I did have one stay missing and needed to report it so I could get a refund.

• Like 2

My water is on! 
I don’t know when I can get my couch etc. Weather and time constraints. 

I’ve been so tired I’m excited to sleep in tomorrow!! Kitty is happy I’m here. 

I like my job and the staff. I think it’s a good fit for me. I don’t intend to go back to school - I know what the starting salary is for a few titles above me and it’s imo not worth it. But you didn’t hear me say that. I’ll have this thread deleted soon. 

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

My water is on! 
I don’t know when I can get my couch etc. Weather and time constraints. 

I’ve been so tired I’m excited to sleep in tomorrow!! Kitty is happy I’m here. 

I like my job and the staff. I think it’s a good fit for me. I don’t intend to go back to school - I know what the starting salary is for a few titles above me and it’s imo not worth it. But you didn’t hear me say that. I’ll have this thread deleted soon. 

Well, even if you delete this one, please start a new one keeping us up to date on what's happening with you. Even if it's not work related, I'm interested in your life in general. I've been rooting for you for so long and I'm so glad things are starting to work in your favor.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1