Menu

More misinformation in Uvalde

Katy

1 minute ago, KSera said:

You're right that it's not the place to go in conversation. That came out of sheer utter frustration and, frankly, anger, because the deafening message really does come down to a vocal minority of gun owners being unwilling to do a damn thing to reduce gun deaths. Such that, it really does come across that if they had the psychic ability to know that giving up their own guns would prevent kids from dying, that they still wouldn't do it. It's not an actual proposal that they do so.

I know. It is too frustrating. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heartstrings said:

There have also been examples of schools cosplaying shootings complete with flash bangs and smoke bombs, both with and without students present as a drill.  Kind of hard to say which way it could go.  

I think the idea behind these drills was originally probably a good one -- because when you just talk through something, you often miss issues/problems that would show up in a live situation.  Doing a lockdown exercise or even having someone regularly trying to get in does not find those kind of issues -- because it only tests a small portion of the actual situation.  And doing a live drill could give a lot of information that could be shared with many schools.   But I'm imagining something like an EMT simulation with people playing injured etc -- not shooting pellets into teachers to actually injure them!  

And, I'm with you all in that I can't agree with having students there and any teachers should be not only be aware but have to actually sign up for it! (although perhaps any elected government official who says "schools should only have one door" should automatically have to attend one to play the students! 🙄)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

The more I hear, the angrier I get.   I wish somehow Arredondo would be punished, but I fear he’s going to walk away like nothing happened and like he’s totally innocent.  

YES.  This is horrible.  Horrible.  There have been so many lies.  Why would you lie about this as a police officer?  Don't you know there is going to be so much evidence to prove what happened?  There is so much awful news about this.  My heart goes out to all the families.  This would have to be devasting to hear. And they are already devasted so this is just extra pain they don't deserve. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

YES.  This is horrible.  Horrible.  There have been so many lies.  Why would you lie about this as a police officer?  Don't you know there is going to be so much evidence to prove what happened?  There is so much awful news about this.  My heart goes out to all the families.  This would have to be devasting to hear. And they are already devasted so this is just extra pain they don't deserve. 

I can’t even begin to imagine what the families are going through.  It has to feel like they’re being victimized over and over again.    
I would like to see Arredondo in prison for years.    It can’t and won’t happen, obviously.   But he deserves it.   

• Sad 3

31 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

That says Arredondo intentionally left his radio behind because it might have "slowed him down"?  WTF?  

Slowed him down to do what? Just stand there and wring his hands? This whole story... I can only think he panicked and made a lot of irrational decisions and probably feels terrible now, but. What an epically tragic series of errors.

• Like 8

And the door was not locked. So why did one guy tell the story about waiting for keys and saying a prayer each time he tried one, but none fit. If he was trying them on a safe door away from the killer, he sure conveniently forgot to say so.

The speech today just sounded like them trying to pass the blame on to anyone else.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Idalou said:

And the door was not locked. So why did one guy tell the story about waiting for keys and saying a prayer each time he tried one, but none fit. If he was trying them on a safe door away from the killer, he sure conveniently forgot to say so.

The speech today just sounded like them trying to pass the blame on to anyone else.

I didn’t see that, but the report I saw says the janitor was trying the keys on another door to find the master key.

If I was a janitor and the police asked me to find a master key, I would probably assume they knew whether the door was locked.  

Just clarifying because we’ve already seen an attempt to blame the teachers rather than the guns or the cops, so gotta stand up for the janitor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Arredondo has resigned from thr City Council, I think on Friday.

In other news, for once, the police actually listened and stopped a mass shooting by a 19 in San Antonio who wasa fanboy of the Uvalde shooter. He planned to shoot up the Amazon distribution site in San Antonio or suburbs.

I can't even remember all the mass killings and attempted killings where concrete c8ncerns were blown off - from the shooting in the school in South Florida to bombing  in Nashville to mowing down people in parade in Wisconsin.    

Maybe there may be sliw changes for the better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

Maybe there may be sliw changes for the better.

Hopefully not as slow as they currently are. Couldn’t we start with agreement that 19 year olds should not have access to high capacity semi automatic weapons? That seems like a much bigger help than hoping police will catch wind of every plot before it is carried out. 

• Like 9

On 7/4/2022 at 3:49 PM, KSera said:

Hopefully not as slow as they currently are. Couldn’t we start with agreement that 19 year olds should not have access to high capacity semi automatic weapons? That seems like a much bigger help than hoping police will catch wind of every plot before it is carried out. 

I would be totally fine with that.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Texas House Committee Report on law enforcement response to Uvalde school shooting:

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/special-reports/uvalde-school-shooting/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-house-committee-report-texas-tribune/287-dfdaebf9-d887-432a-8870-b0709f0cf1ea

"In total, 376 law enforcement officers — a force larger than the garrison that defended the Alamo — descended upon the school in a chaotic, uncoordinated scene that lasted for more than an hour. The group was devoid of clear leadership, basic communications and sufficient urgency to take down the gunman, the report says."

"The report also reveals for the first time that the overwhelming majority of responders were federal and state law enforcement: 149 were U.S. Border Patrol, and 91 were state police — whose responsibilities include responding to “mass attacks in public places.” There were 25 Uvalde police officers and 16 sheriff’s deputies. Arredondo’s school police force accounted for five of the officers on the scene. The rest of the force was made up of neighboring county law enforcement, U.S. Marshals, and federal Drug Enforcement Agency officers."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 11

13 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

Texas House Committee Report on law enforcement response to Uvalde school shooting:

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/special-reports/uvalde-school-shooting/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-house-committee-report-texas-tribune/287-dfdaebf9-d887-432a-8870-b0709f0cf1ea

"In total, 376 law enforcement officers — a force larger than the garrison that defended the Alamo — descended upon the school in a chaotic, uncoordinated scene that lasted for more than an hour. The group was devoid of clear leadership, basic communications and sufficient urgency to take down the gunman, the report says."

"The report also reveals for the first time that the overwhelming majority of responders were federal and state law enforcement: 149 were U.S. Border Patrol, and 91 were state police — whose responsibilities include responding to “mass attacks in public places.” There were 25 Uvalde police officers and 16 sheriff’s deputies. Arredondo’s school police force accounted for five of the officers on the scene. The rest of the force was made up of neighboring county law enforcement, U.S. Marshals, and federal Drug Enforcement Agency officers."

This is the first time I have heard how many it was.  I am have no words to even comprehend that.  A small army.  And yet they didn't act for over an hour.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

This is the first time I have heard how many it was.  I am have no words to even comprehend that.  A small army.  And yet they didn't act for over an hour.   

I just saw this too and felt the same way.  It's truly unbelievable and such a tragedy.  😞 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, DoraBora said:

Tell me again how all we need to stop bad guys with guns are some good guys with guns, but this time tell me how many. Because apparently 376 good guys with guns won't be enough.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 15

1 hour ago, KSera said:

Tell me again how all we need to stop bad guys with guns are some good guys with guns, but this time tell me how many. Because apparently 376 good guys with guns won't be enough.

This. And SCOTUS ruled LEO's are under no obligation to protect or defend people. So if the people who take the oath and the job and supposedly spend time being trained, and shooting at the range to be prepared aren't going to save anyone, for damn sure Cletus and Buford wildly waving a gun they haven't spent time on the range or in simulations with aren't going to hit the broad side of the barn they aim at, but will probably manage to kill a bystander or victim if not themselves.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Wow. I knew a bunch of different LEO's had showed up, but if you'd asked me to guess how many, I probably would have said a number that was a third of that if not less.

Defund this nonsense.

Indeed.  I wasn't a fan of that slogan before, but this is seriously radicalizing me.  Why the hell is our city giving over a third of its budget to police?  Why the heck did this tragedy spur our school district to double the number of school resource officers?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Indeed.  I wasn't a fan of that slogan before, but this is seriously radicalizing me.  Why the hell is our city giving over a third of its budget to police?  Why the heck did this tragedy spur our school district to double the number of school resource officers?  

I've had it out with dh and a bunch of friends about that slogan. They're all like, it's too radical. It doesn't mean no policing at all so it just rubs people the wrong way, it's not good because it turns people off. Now I'm just Uvalde. UVALDE. And people shut up. It's like, can you see it now? Can you?

There are posters up all over my neighborhood right now that are like fund rails, not prisons and fund job programs, not police, and fund schools, not police. They have a nice graphic style. And a good message.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I've had it out with dh and a bunch of friends about that slogan. They're all like, it's too radical. It doesn't mean no policing at all so it just rubs people the wrong way, it's not good because it turns people off. Now I'm just Uvalde. UVALDE. And people shut up. It's like, can you see it now? Can you?

There are posters up all over my neighborhood right now that are like fund rails, not prisons and fund job programs, not police, and fund schools, not police. They have a nice graphic style. And a good message.

I agree with this. More alcohol rehab, more drug rehab and out patient options for both, more mental healthcare workers, more social workers, more safety net, more intervention, more safe spaces for kids and teens to be engaged in wholesome activity, more therapy, more therapy dogs, more people with their eyes and ears "to the ground" so to speak, more healthy food in food desserts, more quality of life for as many people as possible. Having police isn't doing us a bit of good really. The system it too broken. We also need an overhaul of the criminal justice system. Threats need to be a crime that gets a person in the system for intervention. They may be A cry for help OR they may be viable. Either way, instead of throwing hands up and saying there is nothing that can be done UNTIL a crime occurs, until someone is hurt or dead. In the case of my son and his roommate, nothing was done over and over again about threats made to them in person, in public on his college campus, and on social media. But when son burst into his dorm room to find the perp trying to strangle.his roommate to death, then it was "Oops, our bad." Sick.of.it. Free speech goes only so far as you don't threaten the safety and well being of others. Then it isn't free because it suppresses the rights of others.

What do we need less of? Guns, guns, guns, guns, guns, and frankly, police. We just do not need more of the same.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I agree with this. More alcohol rehab, more drug rehab and out patient options for both, more mental healthcare workers, more social workers, more safety net, more intervention, more safe spaces for kids and teens to be engaged in wholesome activity, more therapy, more therapy dogs, more people with their eyes and ears "to the ground" so to speak, more healthy food in food desserts, more quality of life for as many people as possible. Having police isn't doing us a bit of good really. The system it too broken. We also need an overhaul of the criminal justice system. Threats need to be a crime that gets a person in the system for intervention. They may be A cry for help OR they may be viable. Either way, instead of throwing hands up and saying there is nothing that can be done UNTIL a crime occurs, until someone is hurt or dead. In the case of my son and his roommate, nothing was done over and over again about threats made to them in person, in public on his college campus, and on social media. But when son burst into his dorm room to find the perp trying to strangle.his roommate to death, then it was "Oops, our bad." Sick.of.it. Free speech goes only so far as you don't threaten the safety and well being of others. Then it isn't free because it suppresses the rights of others.

What do we need less of? Guns, guns, guns, guns, guns, and frankly, police. We just do not need more of the same.

ALL this. 

When addicts and alcoholics and those with psychiatirc issues and chronic pain issues and learning disabilities and lead poisoning and PTSD can all get the help they need, THEN talk to me about jails. 

Whatever happened to the old saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"???? 

People just don't realize that an addict can't just "go to rehab", that a pregnant woman on drugs can't get help getting off of them, that someone in a mental health crisis can't actually see a doctor for weeks or months on end, etc etc. And then wonder why this all happens. Kids are growing up with PTSD, plus their brains are damaged from lead and who knows what else, etc etc. 

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

ALL this. 

When addicts and alcoholics and those with psychiatirc issues and chronic pain issues and learning disabilities and lead poisoning and PTSD can all get the help they need, THEN talk to me about jails. 

Whatever happened to the old saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"???? 

People just don't realize that an addict can't just "go to rehab", that a pregnant woman on drugs can't get help getting off of them, that someone in a mental health crisis can't actually see a doctor for weeks or months on end, etc etc. And then wonder why this all happens. Kids are growing up with PTSD, plus their brains are damaged from lead and who knows what else, etc etc. 

Ask the people of Flint about what lead has done to children. And it is estimated that for every $1 spent on lead abatement, cleaning up water supplies, $17 is saved on future services required including on jail/prison. If all this stupid nation cares about is money, one would think the powers that be would get on board. But short term gain is far more values than long term. No one cares about the road to riches being paved with human bodies.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Ask the people of Flint about what lead has done to children. And it is estimated that for every $1 spent on lead abatement, cleaning up water supplies, $17 is saved on future services required including on jail/prison. If all this stupid nation cares about is money, one would think the powers that be would get on board. But short term gain is far more values than long term. No one cares about the road to riches being paved with human bodies.

They only care about this quarter's profit, as who knows where they will be a few years from now. 

30 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

ALL this. 

I used to think that it was "about" saving money. That if you could prove to people that it was cheaper to provide the services and do the things, that they would do that in order to save money. That that would become the unifying thing between left and right. The left wants to provide services and help people. The right wants to save money. And the left isn't against saving money! Since so many of these things save money in the long run in study after study, it seems perfect.

It turns out people would rather pay more to punish people and let people die. It's all I can conclude at this point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/uvalde-robb-elementary-school-mandy-gutierrez-principal-administrative-leave/?dc_data=4165335_samsung-browser-us&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=taboola_news&jd=V1_-8778528845861108362#app

"Robb Elementary School principal Mandy Gutierrez has been placed on administrative leave with pay, her lawyer told CBS News on Monday."

"The news comes shortly after Uvalde schools police chief Pete Arredondo was also placed on leave. An emergency school board meeting to consider firing Arredondo, whose termination was recommended by Harrell, was canceled Friday."

OK so I haven't heard anything criticizing the principal so this seems very much out of the blue.

1 minute ago, SHP said:

OK so I haven't heard anything criticizing the principal so this seems very much out of the blue.

I agree. It did seem to come out of the blue because, like you, I've heard nothing about her until today. I can understand the decision, but does Arrendondo still have his job??? smh

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 11:07 AM, Farrar said:

I used to think that it was "about" saving money. That if you could prove to people that it was cheaper to provide the services and do the things, that they would do that in order to save money. That that would become the unifying thing between left and right. The left wants to provide services and help people. The right wants to save money. And the left isn't against saving money! Since so many of these things save money in the long run in study after study, it seems perfect.

It turns out people would rather pay more to punish people and let people die. It's all I can conclude at this point.

Yup. 

When I found out that it was FAR cheaper to put immigrants/refugees awaiting their court case in housing, and provide them with a lawyer, than it was to put them in a detention center, and yet peple STILL wanted them in a detention center, I broke. My soul cracked. I had thought SURELY if people knew it was cheaper, AND HUGELY effective regarding people showing up for their court dates, AND they were better prepared for court, no one could be against that.

But they were. People wanted families put into detention centers for no logical or practical reason - just because they were born on the wrong side of an imaginary line, and were willing and eager to PAY MORE just to be harsh. 

and in fact, our government did a trial program, which is how we know how effective it was - both in terms of cost and in terms of better prepared for court. But then discontinued the program because it was "too effective", aka people showed up for court and had the documents they needed to prove they qualified for asylum. And no one wanted that. 

Broken. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I agree. It did seem to come out of the blue because, like you, I've heard nothing about her until today. I can understand the decision, but does Arrendondo still have his job??? smh

My understanding is that one of the classrooms where the shooting took place had a broken lock. Apparently, she knew it was broken but didn't submit a work request. 

Just now, stephanier.1765 said:

My understanding is that one of the classrooms where the shooting took place had a broken lock. Apparently, she knew it was broken but didn't submit a work request. 

Yes, that's why I understand the decision to suspend her. It just seems like more definitive action should have been taken on Arrendondo a long time ago.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

That seems a little weird to me. I know school districts and schools are hyper local in the states, but, in my area, I don't think a principal would have anything to do with something so specific as submitting a work request for a broken lock. 

The principal would be more concerned with establishing the expectation of following safety and security protocols overall, yes, but at a much more macro level. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, katilac said:

That seems a little weird to me. I know school districts and schools are hyper local in the states, but, in my area, I don't think a principal would have anything to do with something so specific as submitting a work request for a broken lock. 

The principal would be more concerned with establishing the expectation of following safety and security protocols overall, yes, but at a much more macro level. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/07/26/uvalde-texas-robb-elementary-shooting-principal-leave/

This article says she didn't use the intercom system to alert the classrooms. She's going to make a statement about what the report claims in a few days.

Edited by Idalou

8 minutes ago, katilac said:

Honestly this. Why is the principal the one to submit work requests? Does the principal have to submit work requests for every single thing? It seems like a very odd thing to fall on the principal's work load. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Idalou said:

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/07/26/uvalde-texas-robb-elementary-shooting-principal-leave/

This article says she didn't use the intercom system to alert the classrooms. She's going to make a statement about what the report claims in a few days.

Here everything is prerecorded and the intercom is linked with the text and website alerts because employees have other tasks to do during an emergency than to dig out a binder with a pretyped out script, send texts, and update the website. Each staff member has specific steps to follow based on their job in order and deviation is not allowed. 

31 minutes ago, Idalou said:

But she did try to use the Raptor emergency alert app, which presumably is approved by the district (bc it seems like it would be impossible to go rogue and set it up). 

The article states there was a bad wifi signal, but, barring that, the emergency app makes a lot more sense to me than the intercom system. 

2 minutes ago, katilac said:

But she did try to use the Raptor emergency alert app, which presumably is approved by the district (bc it seems like it would be impossible to go rogue and set it up). 

The article states there was a bad wifi signal, but, barring that, the emergency app makes a lot more sense to me than the intercom system. 

Why would an app be better?

Just now, Baseballandhockey said:

Why would an app be better?

For instance, I was off campus to go get some supplies and came back on campus in the middle of the code orange drill.  I wasn't on campus to hear it. They were like, "Why are you moving around???"  Plus, when we went to all text.  We had to text the principal if all the students were accounted for. If a kid was in the bathroom, we let them know because it was their job to find the student, not mine.  Plus it is safer to text and say live shooter is in such and such building rather than saying it over the intercom. 

2 minutes ago, cajunmom3 said:

For instance, I was off campus to go get some supplies and came back on campus in the middle of the code orange drill.  I wasn't on campus to hear it. They were like, "Why are you moving around???"  Plus, when we went to all text.  We had to text the principal if all the students were accounted for. If a kid was in the bathroom, we let them know because it was their job to find the student, not mine.  Plus it is safer to text and say live shooter is in such and such building rather than saying it over the intercom. 

How do the kids know if their phone is off or out of battery, or they're like many of my students who can't read?  How do parents in the building know?  

4 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Yup. 

When I found out that it was FAR cheaper to put immigrants/refugees awaiting their court case in housing, and provide them with a lawyer, than it was to put them in a detention center, and yet peple STILL wanted them in a detention center, I broke. My soul cracked. I had thought SURELY if people knew it was cheaper, AND HUGELY effective regarding people showing up for their court dates, AND they were better prepared for court, no one could be against that.

But they were. People wanted families put into detention centers for no logical or practical reason - just because they were born on the wrong side of an imaginary line, and were willing and eager to PAY MORE just to be harsh. 

and in fact, our government did a trial program, which is how we know how effective it was - both in terms of cost and in terms of better prepared for court. But then discontinued the program because it was "too effective", aka people showed up for court and had the documents they needed to prove they qualified for asylum. And no one wanted that. 

Broken. 

Foster care is similar. Most people who are "officials" in the system do not want children aware of their rights or aware of really anything going on. It is horrifying and heartbreaking.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

How do the kids know if their phone is off or out of battery, or they're like many of my students who can't read?  How do parents in the building know?  

Oh, well in my school, kids turned in their phones when they came to school.  So teachers are the only ones with phones.  I cannot remember, but there was a code that went out over the loudspeaker or bells or something. I haven't taught in 5 years, so i do not completely remember. Parents would know because they are with a teacher. We didn't allow parents to aimlessly wander the hills.  All doors were locked and you had to be let in the front door. Not many parents were there.