Menu

How is the economy affecting your curriculum choices?

sweetbaby

Daisy had this post on another forum where we are both members but I wanted to share her great post here. I love reading ANYTHING about saving $. WE are sticking with the same curriculum for the upcoming year but it won't be any side or extra purchases aside from our main curriculum. The library will be our best friend and used to its full advantage here. So are you making any changes or cutting back in the curriculum area?

I've begun using the library - and actually getting the books back on time. That last part is new for me. In the past I've paid library fines of over $50. DH says I deserve my own parking space. LOL!

I'm also making my own spelling curriculum. I think AAS might work, but I'm not sure, can't preview it, and just won't shell out the money for it now if it's not a definite.

We're also doing just a bit less school (still more than ps) so I can focus more on my paid work (programming from home)

It sucks doesn't it? Our food bill is almost $200 more a month than it was 18 months ago. At least gas is cheap again.

(I love your avatar!)

I have always been frugal about curriculum choices -- that is, I usually buy used books, though I probably buy too many. There are a few things I would like to buy that are very expensive, but am holding off; for example, the bird biology home study course by Cornell Ornithology Lab, $300.

You know, I haven't found the library to be super-duper useful. Our lives are not arranged in such a way that we can get there on a regular basis, so I usually end up with fines. (I do use the library at the college where I work, but only for things like big art books, to look at pictures, and music recordings, since they don't have kid-friendly books.) I always have good intentions about not buying so many books, but then I read here about something and poof! You know where those good intentions lead. I wanted to throw out the fines thing, in case others are feeling guilty about not using the library more. Fines, not frugal.

I'm curious about what others are doing. Thank you for asking.

I haven't found our library to be useful either. Instead I am spacing out our purchases, watching for free shipping sales, and looking for items used.

I've also written down what I want from this helpful form from Donna Young. I've broken down my shopping by subject and listed my budget. That way I'm not tempted to buy unnecessary items.

I'm also using paperbackswap, thrift stores, and the clearance table for readers.

I am not making any changes because I already buy used and make extensive use of the library. So far this year I have spent approximately $210 on materials, including printer paper and cartridges. My kids are young, and I know that my expenditures will go up as the kids get older, but so far we have been able to do K and 1st grade on that amount of money.

Tara

I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one with accumulating library fines. LOL Well, I'm good now. My last fine was $1.25! Keeping it down. :lol:

Our grocery has been $700 for a house with seven people and I have tremendously cut back. Last month I spent $500 for the entire month by shopping at the cheaper stores and giving up my name brand items along with cooking in bulk.

Yes, thank the Lord that gas prices have dropped. I can now fill my van with $20! Unreal!

As for as curriculum, I'm finally at the place where we are very satisfied with our choices and feel no need to change but we are definitely trimming the extras. We also have opted to buy only educational games and such for Christmas, things that we would buy as extras. We are asking family members, who want to buy something for our children, to buy educational items only.

Our library has no fines on children's books, so the only fines I accrue are on videos and adult materials (erm, well, you know what I mean :tongue_smilie:). Luckily, I have a teacher card and I can check things out for 6 weeks at a time with one renewal allowed, so all the kids' books that I take out on my teacher card are fine-free. If that weren't the case, my fines would be HUGE!!!

Tara

Since our rural library is very small I have opted to not do unit studies at this time. I use very inexpensive materials like Christian Liberty Press or non-consumables that I can re-sale to pay for the next years materials.

ETA:

I buy non-consumables used. Since we take good care of our books I can usually get what I paid for them when I re-sale them.

Edited by Susie in MS

Thanks for putting this on my wish list! I never heard of it before.

This, my friend, is the entire trouble with these boards! Yesterday my (used) copy of Human Odyssey, the K12 text, arrived in the mail. Do I need another history book? No! Will I torture myself, trying to figure out how to integrate this into our current studies? Yes! Too many good things out there. I wish I could train myself to just say "la la la la" when I read these boards, but no! No willpower. Just like Frog and Toad and those cookies.

So really I guess the best way for me to save money during these trying economic times would be to simply not come here.... ;)

I am thinking ahead to high school with DD12. She loves birds - remember last weekend's great debate about whether or not the bird we saw was a great blue heron. Not to mention - I love birdwatching too, so I would like to do the course too!

My 12yo son has been begging for this bird course from Cornell. He's a bird fanatic. He even said he'd go without toys for Christmas if we got him this course. That's dedication to our fine feathered friends.

(Sorry for the hijack.)

Cathmom, you've got some serious self control, only buying once / year.

We'll still spend the same amount on curricula as we've spent in the past. Our budget has remained the same for everything...effectively this means that in some areas we get less bang for our buck (food), and in some areas we get more (gas). So far curricula prices for the types of things I buy are relatively steady. I would cut a lot of other things before I'd mess with the curricula budget

We're making significant cuts in other areas, so I don't have to make any curriculum changes to our plans for 2009-2010.

I cut the Nanny ($1600)

I cut the food budget (slightly) ($100)

I cut miscelaneous expenses ($500)

I added piano (+200)

I added swimming (+$200)

Net cuts... $1800 a month.

I was a very frugal homeschooler years ago when we first started, and I've realized that that's when I was the most content AND the most consistent with day-to-day schooling. Curriculum shopping has become a real problem for me, so in a lot of ways, I'm glad we're at a point where we (where I :glare: ) have to really crack down on spending. This of course translates to making more careful curriculum choices, and in some cases, maybe using something that's "good enough" rather than looking around for the "best". Lord knows we have PLENTY of curriculum right here in the house... esp for the younger two!

Our library has no fines on children's books, so the only fines I accrue are on videos and adult materials (erm, well, you know what I mean :tongue_smilie:). Luckily, I have a teacher card and I can check things out for 6 weeks at a time with one renewal allowed, so all the kids' books that I take out on my teacher card are fine-free. If that weren't the case, my fines would be HUGE!!!

Tara

I want a teacher card!! How do I get one? (Become a certified teacher? :tongue_smilie:)

I haven't had to make any big changes, but curriculum costs do impact some of my decisions. I have been intrigued by TOG for a couple of years and thought I might use it for our next cycle. Now I am leaning toward sticking with Biblioplan. I've been very happy with it, but I thought the TOG teacher notes would be worth having. Now I'm thinking their not worth the steep price tag. For grammar this year I thought I might use FLL3 and also have R&S 3 on the shelf. I ordered R&S 3 first, realized it would do what I want, and didn't order a second resource (FLL3). For spelling we switched from SWO to R&S. It's still consumable (the student workbook anyway), but it's cheaper than SWO (and I like it better). Buying history books is the largest budget chunk here. I am using the library more and trying to buy only those books that I think I really want to own. So anyway, no big changes, but I do try to use our home school dollars wisely.

I am buying a couple of things for our new year starting february, but mostly I am glad I have already bought nearly everything over the last year.

I am buying what I need now though, before we feel any recession here. It hasn't hit Australia very hard yet- we are buffered- apart from the fact that our dollar is only worth just over half of one of yours, and a few months back it was 97 cents! That is definitely deterring me from buying from Amazon or overseas at all.

I have plenty I can make do with, and I just keep an eye out for bargains anyway.

Most of this is just echoes of what others have posted, but fwiw:

*I buy used as much as possible

*I stopped my "extras" spending sprees (although they were usually used materials too)

*Christmas presents will largely be educational games or things w/ some educational value

*I do grab things I know I'll be using in future years if they're extremely discounted.

*Haven't cut back curriculum yet, but I'm feeling the pinch when planning next year. I'll have to choose something and stick to it - something would have to be absolutely dreadful to justify the cost of "curriculum hopping" anymore.

*Use the library more, and turn things in on time so I can check out stuff for the next topics we're studying. No fines here unless you just don't ever turn things in - as long as it gets returned the fees are waived.

*Gas isn't as cheap here yet so we still limit driving, and have cut into the grocery budget.

*I'd rather keep aquiring books, animals, science experiment materials, etc. and cut into other areas of the budget. Thing is, now there's nowhere left to trim anymore fat!

But I think that's because I've always been relatively thrifty (not like some folks here, but better than a lot!). I have a son who is middle school aged but will be doing mostly high school work next year, and we're holding steady at right around $500. That includes the basics (history, literature, science, math) plus two languages (Spanish and Greek) and art history/appreciation.

I could do it for less, certainly. However, what I'm doing provides a full, rigorous, designed-just-for-this-kid educational experience for significantly less than most of the popular packaged materials (less than 40% the cost of Songlight or Calvert, for example).

What I am doing is trying to think ahead and be very aware of what I already have on the shelf and could re-use if needed. My daughter's already done the high school thing, so I have on hand lots of things I used with her. My son is a very different creature, and I much perfer to plan things specifically for him. However, in a pinch, we could fall back on what I have here.

And, by the way, I can completely sympathize with the folks who can't make libraries work for them. I've definitely gone through those phases, myself. I've paid fines of well over $100 more than once and swore off libraries all together for a few years. Last summer, my son and I waded back into the library waters because he got to the point at which he was reading so much and so quickly that it felt silly to keep buying him that many books. We now do about 50% of our pleasure reading from the library, and it helps. I just have to be really good about staying on top of the situation.

While I am posting on this thread, I might as well answer the OP. It hasn't at all, because I never bought much anyway. I buy once a year with our tax refund and that's pretty much it.

A bit like that normally here, except we don't expect to get to use our tax refund this year. Due to dh being laid off in late January or early February, we expect the tax refund will go entirely towards any bills it can pay off to help keep us afloat on a greatly reduce income.

I keep a list of what I have and what I need or plan to use for K - 12.

So all I have to do is note what items are needed for which kids next year.

Since I plan well in advance, it gives me lots of chances to shop free/used options.

Any items I haven't come across by the time May comes around, we'll have to figure out how to purchase. Pawn a tv if we have to I suppose. (win -win! less tv more books!:lol:)

There's very little if any extras on the list.

Except for my oldest, I've thankfuly reached a point where I'm comfortable and fairly confident of what I use and don't jump around much.

The economy hasn't affected what I buy as much as how I buy. I have tended to go toward a simplier lifestyle and I am really pushing towards a decluttered life. I am purging all of my "This would be great to use!" curricula and sticking with what I've planned. If I don't use it, it doesn't need to take up the valuable space in my house.

At our house, we are definitely cutting back on purchases. I will usually look for something to sell, post it somewhere, and sell it before I buy anything.

I think that the library is a wonderful resource for those of you who have a good one. I moved away from the best library and at the time I didn't know what an asset it was. So for those of you who have a good library system, count your blessings!

1. Buying books- I've decided to cut book buying unless it's a Christian book that I really think we need and absolutely cannot get at the library. We have so many wonderful books that we really haven't even dug into yet anyway, and our shelves are full.

2. I've decided to cut educational extras - "fun stuff" like special globes, special art supplies, computer software, etc.

3. I'm sticking with a very basic curriculum and then just adding library books. We learn best this way anyway, and it saves me tons of money. My budget for two kids next year is only going to be about 300.00 and I am getting more than I need or want.

4. Look for some extras at the used curriculum sale. My county has a local curriculum sale and they have not only books, curriculum, but also games, and other "fun" educational products. but in reality we hardly use this stuff anyway. Reading seems to be our best bet, and it's free at the library!

BUT we are adding extra curricular activities. Lord willing if my dh still has a job here and we don't move, my son is starting Judo (really inexpensive a great deal at our local rec center) and my dd will be starting ballet/tap. THat is expensive, more than 80/mo not including registration and shoes.

So I've decided to spend money only on what we can't get elsewhere and what's important to my kids. *I* like tons of educational fru-fru and they don't. They like library books and they really want to get out and join those activities.

I think that the library is a wonderful resource for those of you who have a good one. I moved away from the best library and at the time I didn't know what an asset it was. So for those of you who have a good library system, count your blessings!

:iagree: We were blessed with a GREAT library system when we lived in Illinois. We used it a lot, but moved before we started HSing our kids. I almost weep with missing it now!

The economy certainly affects my decisions on buying most things. It makes some decisions easier. For example, I really like the looks of NOEO science, but I can't justify $160 for the curriculum (none of the books are available at the local library). While I would have tried to justify it for awhile before picking my #2 or #3 choice, I don't even spend the time on trying to justify it now. Although, I can still drool over it. I definitely couldn't justify buying Artistic Pursuits no matter how great it looks.

I do still look for "good deals" and start looking early. For example, I can sometimes find curriculum that is going to be revised, so the older edition is cheaper for a limited time (until they run out of stock). I buy the older edition to save $$.

I tell people only half jokingly that the reason I decided on Classical Christian was because we already had most of the books!

I had several beginning Latin books that I got for myself but never did much with, I studied the first few chapters.

From my phonics tutoring, I have all the phonics needed (although that didn't stop me from buying a few new ones for my remedial students and printing out Webster's Speller and Blend Phonics!)

And, many of the other books we've purchased over the years are classics. We have two copies of The Landmark Thucydides, and I can't get my husband to part with either of them! (He accidently got two copies, he started highlighting in one and ended up in another...)

I'm hoping I'll be more motivated by the Latin when I'm learning it with my children. It's working for memorizing Bible Verses. (My daughter learns them faster than me! If only her addition facts came so easily...)

Being part of a co-op has been a great money saver here. I am part of a small co-op, all of the moms are committed to classical ed and we all use the same core curriculum. We all pitch in to teach various classes. The teacher takes care of bringing in extra supplies and TM's if needed. We take turns planning field trips (done once a month on the same day we do co-op-only 1 trip to town) and we pitch in on supplies.

My earlier reply had to do with being both frugal and content, and therefore saving money. I'm going to step out on a limb here and say that our economics problems are the result of SPENDING, plain and simple. Why? Because we are bombarded daily with advertising for fast food, Christmas shopping, vehicles, houses, clothing, toys..... and even homeschool curriculum. How many of us could actually stop spending *today* and be fine with what we have, except for an occasional needed math book or something else that has to move along in a specific progression? I bet the majority of us here have a bunch of unused curriculum sitting around in our homes, just taking up space. How many of us have a big PILE of curriculum catalogs in our house? (Or worse, maybe they're not even in a pile... maybe they're scattered around the house!) How many of us tend to spend time drooling over the thicker, more colorful catalogs vs. the smaller, more concise ones?

"The grass is greener" syndrome, caused in large part by marketing on the television, internet, billboards as we drive down the road, and even inside the stores themselves (layout), IS the economy... it's what makes it thrive. Buy consumables, not non-consumables. Buy this bigger, more colorful item. Buy this "more classical" or "more Charlotte Mason" or "better theology" or "all-inclusive" curriculum. Don't spend time putting together your own curriculum... that would save you money! Buy your books instead of using the library. (I realize some can't use the library; I'm generalizing here.) Buy this item (whatever it is... curriculum or vehicle or house...) that makes you feel better about yourself. Buy this item (whatever it is) that puts you in a different status group... or tax bracket... or at least gives the appearance of being in a different tax bracket. Don't use real plates that you have to wash; buy paper. Don't use napkins; buy paper. Don't use cloth rags for dusting furniture; buy disposable wipes. Don't cook your meals at home; buy fast food packed in paper. Buy, buy, buy!

Don't stay at home during the day and save money; go out running around and spend it. Spend it on gasoline, car expense, fast food, activities for all the kids, shopping, etc. (And if you really must stay home, then at least get on the internet and spend.) Spend, spend, spend!

Anybody see the correlation between the bad economy, the environmental issues, and discontentment? I am NOT a "treehugger", so to speak. LOL. But there's definitely wisdom in using what we have instead of constantly replacing disposables or buying something "better".

Ironic that the motto of the day is to "go green", and yet we spend entirely too much money because of "greener grass". :lol:

Anybody see the correlation between the bad economy, the environmental issues, and discontentment? I am NOT a "treehugger", so to speak. LOL. But there's definitely wisdom in using what we have instead of constantly replacing disposables or buying something "better".

Ironic that the motto of the day is to "go green", and yet we spend entirely too much money because of "greener grass". :lol:

That about sums it up!

Great post, Donna!

The economy hasn't affected our curriculum buying so far, it's the one area I don't feel bad about not trimming and we have been blessed not to have to trim our book buying or curriculum buying, which are the only areas we really spend on. Though I am working hard on curing myself of the curriculum junkie, "grass is always greener" syndrome that Donna mentioned; I do need to stick with what we have and stop looking.

I'm also going too use the library more, I was thinking of buying some of the math picture books suggested on livingmath.net, but I think I'll just buy the plans and use the library. Same for the FIAR books I was going to get. And I am more hesitant to buy consumables.

This, my friend, is the entire trouble with these boards! Yesterday my (used) copy of Human Odyssey, the K12 text, arrived in the mail. Do I need another history book? No! Will I torture myself, trying to figure out how to integrate this into our current studies? Yes! Too many good things out there. I wish I could train myself to just say "la la la la" when I read these boards, but no! No willpower. Just like Frog and Toad and those cookies.

So really I guess the best way for me to save money during these trying economic times would be to simply not come here.... ;)

I just have to chime in here and say that you are cracking me up over here! :lol::lol::lol:

That is exactly how I feel... and yet I keep coming back to these boards to see what everyone else is using! :lurk5:

In fact, I had to tell myself over and over again (out loud, even) that I don't need Writing With Ease books for my 3rd grader... as I already have R & S English 3, Just Write 2, Writing Aids from TOG, Writing Strands 3, and IEW!!!! I just have to actually USE something of what I already have on my shelf! So I got out R&S English 3 this afternoon and it felt wonderful to start using it! I was going to wait until my youngest could join in with us, but that's another story. Sigh....

Brenda

It may be a little late now, but I just ordered books for the next year and got free shipping. I just happen to have the money for books set aside and found that a lot of sites had free shipping for December. Of coarse you have to have a place to store them. The rest of the books I need I will be getting at Amazon and Ebay plus the Library is great, in fact they know my boys by name. Also, I have learned to set aside a little something for school expenses only, $1,$5 a week, it all helps.