Menu

(updated first post) tell me I don't have a bug in my ear

ktgrok

Update: Just got back from urgent care, I did in fact have a bug in my ear!!! A small gnat, but it sounded bigger and I had some sharp pains from it, which were what sent me into urgent care. 

I just came in from doing lawn work - mowing, string trimming, edging, cleaning poop, etc. Because I wasn't allowed to do this stuff for weeks after having my toenail removed it was overgrown, lots of insects around. Came in, and noticed a crackling noise in one ear. 

Commence freakout that one of those bugs flew in my ear and is trapped. Googling, dancing around with ear tilted down, then having DS 22 put oil in my ear per google to kill bug, etc. 

Then remembered I'd worn heavy duty sound canceling headphones while mowing - the kind that go over your ear. Big padded ones. 

So it probably isn't a bug, right???

I've had something sort of similar before, was always a hair in my ear from one of the animals. I also am on antibiotics for a sinus infection, although that's the other side, and eustachian tube issues can cause this sound, per google. 

It's NOT a bug, right????

Edited by ktgrok
  • Confused 2

It's almost certainly a weird pressure thing or congestion and not a bug. However, if symptoms don't clear up, for goodness sake just go in to the doctor. It's worth feeling a little silly when you say "Can you check if there's something in my ear?" if the end result is peace of mind.

• Like 2

Update - it was a bug!!!! Had a sharp pain, jumped out of the dang tub, threw on the first clothes I could find and drove to Urgent Care, thankfully only 1 mile away. Cracklng noise got worse and more persistant. I told them there it was almost definitely not a bug, and just ear/sinus stuff, but that I needed to KNOW it wasn't a bug. 

yeah...it was a bug.

"It definitely is a bug. It's alive, and moving! It's moving toward my light actually!"

I started chanting, "go towards the light...go towards the light" and it got close enough to the entrance of the ear she could crush it with the end of the otoscope, then scrape it out. 

I am to keep my ear dry for the next few days in case it caused any scrapes in there - she didn't see anything but given the pain, maybe. And she said I could put cotton in my ears when gardening, lol. 

• Sad 18

• ktgrok changed the title to (updated first post) tell me I don't have a bug in my ear
9 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Ok, EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

I was really, really, really hoping it wasn't a bug! Did she clean your ear out with alcohol or anything, to disinfect it? Because, BUG! 😱

No..but that probably would have hurt...and it was just a gnat, so not a "gross bug" like a fly or something?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Oh my gosh, I just saw this post!  A bug in your ear! Glad you went in and they got it!   You've had quite an interesting year so far...

That's one word for it, lol!

Now I get to finish the taxes...sigh. 

• Like 1

My son was swimming in a friend's pool about 10 years ago and somehow he had a spider crawl in his ear. He, too, could hear it moving around. Thankfully, friend's dad was a doctor who was also in the pool and did just what your urgent care doc did- shined a light in it and let the spider crawl out.

I'm glad the gnat came out! I can't imagine hearing it fly around, bumping into my ear parts!

42 minutes ago, Tree Frog said:

My son was swimming in a friend's pool about 10 years ago and somehow he had a spider crawl in his ear. He, too, could hear it moving around. Thankfully, friend's dad was a doctor who was also in the pool and did just what your urgent care doc did- shined a light in it and let the spider crawl out.

I'm glad the gnat came out! I can't imagine hearing it fly around, bumping into my ear parts!

I was REALLY afraid it was a small spider - I saw a TON of them scurrying around while weed whacking and was terrified one had gotten whacked into the air into my ear! I am not afraid of spiders, but the thought of one in my ear was awful. Also afraid it was a big fly - there were a ton by the trash cans that I disturbed. VERY thankful that it was a small gnat. That seems less terrible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh, honey. This might be one of the Epic Hive Stories in years to come. 

"Do y'all remember when Katie had a bug in her ear, and we told her it wasn't a bug, but a doctor shined a light in there and something started moving toward the light...."

I'm glad you're okay! 🙂 

• Haha 8