Menu

Has anyone, or their child, bought a tiny house?

DawnM

I know tiny houses have been discussed here before.

I am not sure we can put one on our property where we are, but we are considering looking into it for our 24 year old with Autism.   He is over stimulated by the noise level and number of people in our house and it is difficult for him.   

Today I suggested to my husband that we rent a trailer for a couple of months and see if he likes staying in it.   It would test out the idea for him and if the HOA gives us a hard time, we know we can't have one on the property.   I found a place that rents out large trailers with pop outs for $700/mo.   I know that isn't cheap, but for a trial before buying, it is fine.

Just curious if any of you have done it and your thoughts.

And yes, we have looked into the sewer, electrical, and water that we will need to add.

• Like 5

In our location, they are called "Accessory Dwelling Units" by the town and will change property taxes (big deal here, but maybe not so bad in other locations).

(Edit: We don't have one yet, but have done the research as it's a future possibility. Footprint size is a huge consideration here - 10x10x10 means a lot of zoning things are easy, but bigger than that opens up a lot of permits. These are completely different from town to town in my area.)

Edited by Lucy the Valiant
  • Like 1

Here it really wonks up the property taxes because they are considered separate houses, so two houses on one property. But, if we convert a garage that is attached to the house to an apartment it does not. Go figure.

In our Bama house, we are converting the walk out basement. Galley kitchen, and 3/4 bath for a son with health issues who may need to be with us even after we retire. It will add value to the home, but not likely to raise our property taxes since the conversion will not be obvious, and we won't be collecting rent. Do you have a space you could convert instead of getting a freestanding unit?

• Like 3

If the tiny house turns out to be untenable, would it help to have a separate space he can spend a lot of time in that isn't a dwelling? If a shed (or a second shed, if you already have one) is an easier sell to the HOA than a camper or tiny house, you can run electricity to it and furnish it. He could spend most of his free time there is he so chose, and could sleep there sometimes - I say sometimes bc I assume he wouldn't want to give up a lot of space to a bed. 

dh built a small office in our yard, smaller than our shed, and he spends quite a lot of time there. The kids have used it as a quiet study space over the years, and we've all used it for Zoom calls and such when the house was crowded. If it were as big as our shed, it would be even more popular. It's basically a desk, cabinet, two bookshelves, and a bench seat from our old van, lol. It has electricity for his computer and a window unit. 

So, he would have to go inside for kitchen and bathroom, but it would still be a quiet, private space where he could comfortably spend hours. Maybe a backup plan. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Our township zoning has a minimum square footage for dwellings (It’s 700-something sf) and our HOAs both have 1-dwelling-only rules. So it’s a no for us.

But we did have plumbing put in our basement, along with a proper egress window and a door that could potentially be reconfigured to a normal outside exit.  It’s originally meant for my current 18yo, but we figure kids might come and go over the years. 

ETA: Our township also has a limit of either 1 or 2 weeks, up to twice a year, for in-use campers.

Edited by Carrie12345
  • Like 1

Thanks guys.   Definitely things to think about.

1. I don't know how long dad will need his space, but oldest son says he would still be able to hear the toddler screaming, etc....and he want quiet.

2. A shed or something for use might be a better option, thanks for the suggestion.   Coming in to the house for showers and food (although we can put a fridge and microwave out there) would possibly work well.

3. And, in reading through your responses, converting the attic above the 3 car garage could also be an option.   It is already there, but would need insulating, etc....but is enough away from the actual house that he wouldn't hear anything in the house AND we could triple insulate the space between the house and the attic area.   It might be super expensive, but worth a look.

In the meantime, I am going to look at the restrictions for having a trailer in the backyard and what kind of sheds we are allowed to have with our HOA.

He just really wants to get away from the screaming toddler.   His sensory issues shoot through the roof.  

• Like 12

Our church sponsors a tiny house in a tiny house village.

It does not have an oven, and I don’t think it has a stove.  Maybe it has a stove.  But no oven.  

It seems really well-equipped other than that and it so one of those details that can be hard to notice if you just look at the kitchen and kind-of assume it has an oven.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lecka said:

Our church sponsors a tiny house in a tiny house village.

It does not have an oven, and I don’t think it has a stove.  Maybe it has a stove.  But no oven.  

It seems really well-equipped other than that and it so one of those details that can be hard to notice if you just look at the kitchen and kind-of assume it has an oven.  

Honestly, we use our Breville convection/toaster oven more than our big oven anyway, so something like that would be perfect for one person.

• Like 3

Well, phooey......I just read the HOA rules and it says we can't have any temporary/moveable dwellings or sheds on our property......so that is out anyway, although, they don't check backyards and as long as it isn't visible from the street when they check or the neighbors don't complain, it would be ok.

But another thought I had is to look into how much it would be to add a "pool house" type thing as many of our neighbors have done, and make that into a small room that could be what some of you are describing without a full kitchen or anything, but would have a toilet and shower most likely.   I am sure that would be really expensive though.

• Like 1

You can't have a "shed" but you can have a "pool house"? What's the difference?

Neighbors of my mom years ago had a mother in law "shed" built in their backyard. It was super fancy. She lived there but it had no kitchen. Now accessory dwelling units are all the rage where she lives now. The city finally put some major restrictions on them, but mostly to stop people from building giant apartment buildings behind their tiny 1920's houses. Seriously, because that was happening. There's no HOA's there. Now you can have a tiny house style thing back there. If my mother lives long enough, it may make sense for us to do this with her in order to be able to support her staying in the house. She'll run out of money in a decade or so and we'll all have to make some decisions before then. Sigh.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

You can't have a "shed" but you can have a "pool house"? What's the difference?

Neighbors of my mom years ago had a mother in law "shed" built in their backyard. It was super fancy. She lived there but it had no kitchen. Now accessory dwelling units are all the rage where she lives now. The city finally put some major restrictions on them, but mostly to stop people from building giant apartment buildings behind their tiny 1920's houses. Seriously, because that was happening. There's no HOA's there. Now you can have a tiny house style thing back there. If my mother lives long enough, it may make sense for us to do this with her in order to be able to support her staying in the house. She'll run out of money in a decade or so and we'll all have to make some decisions before then. Sigh.

No, we CAN have a shed, it just has to be a permanent structure, not one of the kind that can be easily removed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

Thanks guys.   Definitely things to think about.

1. I don't know how long dad will need his space, but oldest son says he would still be able to hear the toddler screaming, etc....and he want quiet.

2. A shed or something for use might be a better option, thanks for the suggestion.   Coming in to the house for showers and food (although we can put a fridge and microwave out there) would possibly work well.

3. And, in reading through your responses, converting the attic above the 3 car garage could also be an option.   It is already there, but would need insulating, etc....but is enough away from the actual house that he wouldn't hear anything in the house AND we could triple insulate the space between the house and the attic area.   It might be super expensive, but worth a look.

In the meantime, I am going to look at the restrictions for having a trailer in the backyard and what kind of sheds we are allowed to have with our HOA.

He just really wants to get away from the screaming toddler.   His sensory issues shoot through the roof.  

Can you convert part of the 3 car garage, to make it a 2 car garage with a small room for DS? If it was on the far side of the garage from the house it would be quiet I'd think, and maybe easier than converting the attic. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Can you convert part of the 3 car garage, to make it a 2 car garage with a small room for DS? If it was on the far side of the garage from the house it would be quiet I'd think, and maybe easier than converting the attic. 

maybe, but I am not sure that will actually be easier.

My vote would be to convert the area above the garage, because it would give your son the quiet and privacy he wants, and it will also add value to your home in the long run. Is the garage anywhere near where the water and other utilities come into your house? If it is, that will help a lot with expenses. 

• Like 4

A friend of ours got around the "no second home on the same lot" rule in the zoning ordinances and HOA covenants by connecting the new guest house and the main house with a covered walkway. The walkway is not enclosed, but it is permanent and enough to keep the guest house from being a second house.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DawnM said:

Honestly, we use our Breville convection/toaster oven more than our big oven anyway, so something like that would be perfect for one person.

I agree. We used a Breville convection/toaster oven and hot plate for almost 18 months during our home renovation. It was just fine and I barely missed our old stove.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

My vote would be to convert the area above the garage, because it would give your son the quiet and privacy he wants, and it will also add value to your home in the long run. Is the garage anywhere near where the water and other utilities come into your house? If it is, that will help a lot with expenses. 

No, it isn't, but we can add a door from the attic to the house on the 2nd floor and he can access a bathroom that way.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

my 18 year old is renting a room - really a converted shed in a backyard in a town 100 km away. he is paying $190 per week for the room. he goes into the landlords house for shower and bathroom. He also can use the laundry in the house. 

Yikes, that's expensive!! 

6 hours ago, DawnM said:

No, we CAN have a shed, it just has to be a permanent structure, not one of the kind that can be easily removed.

I would definitely check pricing on everything. A permanent shed isn't cheap, but I'm thinking it might be a lot less than some other options (including running electricity)  and it's also still a shed if/when he's no longer using it. 

Edited by katilac

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

No, it isn't, but we can add a door from the attic to the house on the 2nd floor and he can access a bathroom that way.   

Oh, that might work well then! Even if it wasn't his official "room" but more a lounge area type thing. Put in a window AC if climate requires and if there is a window? 

• Like 1

If you go with the workshop/studio/shed type option, and plan to have him use the main house for showers, etc, will he have a bathroom at all in his garden studio?

I am going to say the “ick!” thing here and point out that he will, most likely, errrr, water your garden at some point, possibly in the middle of the night when he doesn’t want to go inside, it’s too much trouble, something.

Do you care? I would factor that into your thoughts while planning.

Speaking from experience with having a 20-something live with us, in a basement without a bathroom. Oops! He didn’t fess up till he moved out, but we knew anyway.

I think the room over the garage sounds like a good plan. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Oh, that might work well then! Even if it wasn't his official "room" but more a lounge area type thing. Put in a window AC if climate requires and if there is a window? 

There is a window but it is small, I would probably want a larger one put in.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Spryte said:

If you go with the workshop/studio/shed type option, and plan to have him use the main house for showers, etc, will he have a bathroom at all in his garden studio?

I am going to say the “ick!” thing here and point out that he will, most likely, errrr, water your garden at some point, possibly in the middle of the night when he doesn’t want to go inside, it’s too much trouble, something.

Do you care? I would factor that into your thoughts while planning.

Speaking from experience with having a 20-something live with us, in a basement without a bathroom. Oops! He didn’t fess up till he moved out, but we knew anyway.

I think the room over the garage sounds like a good plan. 

We were thinking more of a pool house type shed that would have some water.

But in talking to DH today he likes the attic idea better.

• Like 2