Menu

Life expectancies of clothes dryers?

Terabith

Our dryer is older than our oldest kid, who is 18.  It's still ticking along just fine.  I commented the other day that I couldn't believe it was still functional and tried to ask my husband how long they usually lasted, and the only response I got was him running across the room, covering up my mouth, and hissing, "DON'T TALK ABOUT IT WHERE IT CAN HEAR YOU!!!"  

Which was certainly good advice, but I'm kinda wondering if we should be preparing for its demise.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

😂 My similar vintage dryer is still going strong. We did have to replace a part that had worn through, but YouTube showed us the way.

That said, we do have a general "house repair" type category in our finances that would be expected to step up if suddenly the dryer does drying (or the water softener leaks, or a window breaks, etc) Also, if you do ever have to replace it, I imagine the next one won't last nearly as long. That seems to be the trend.

In fact, I'm thinking that soon we won't actually own anything outright. Everything will be on permanent installment plans. For instance, I think they have backed away from it, but Toyota was going to charge $8/month to use the remote start feature on the key fob.

• Like 1

Our stackable washer and dryer are 12-13 years young (ssshhhhh). All our other big appliances pre-date the previous owners so 13+ years. I assume they will all go at once, probably quickly and when there are no decent replacements available.

We don’t talk about it, either. I’ve already said too much. 

Forever.  We got ours used.  In the 90s.  We don’t know how old it is.  It’s all mechanical, and it has only failed once, and DH figured out how to repair it.  (The symptom was that it ran and blew but did not heat up.  I don’t remember what had failed but it was an easy replacement.  Which it occurs to me we should buy a back up one of in case it ever happens again.). 

We hope it lasts for the rest of our lives.  We figure, why not?  It’s old enough for that to be a reasonable hope.

• Like 1

PS. When we got our heavy duty Kenmore washer, which was in the mid90s, DH lobbied for buying the matching dryer.  I resisted because our dryer worked fine.  Getting restless and wanting to replace old appliances fails to show proper appreciation for the quality built into them, and may cause them to fail.  I might have gone in and patted the old dryer consolingly a few times to make sure it knew how much I loved its sturdy workhorse qualities after DH suggested getting rid of it just to be matchy matchy.  🙂

• Haha 2

We are at almost 15 years here (got it when the house burned down so I dont have any appliances older than that). Dh has made a few repairs over the years but it is going strong. We've found even with today's appliances most last way long than average with good maintenance and minor repairs. 

23 years and still going. We’ve replaced a couple of belts and a heating element 

i also have a fridge that is over 20 years old. 

I have taken to looking at appliances from time to time and I’m prepared for one to give up the ghost. Probably the fridge first. 

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 1

I have nightmares about our fridge dying.  We bought the house 13 years ago, and it came with the house.  I hate it; it's a just under standard size fridge, but it has its own alcove.  I really, really, really, REALLY want an icemaker that makes crushed ice.  But I can't get one that fits the stupid alcove.  I'm not even sure they make them the size of the alcove anymore.  We have an emergency fund, and we could absorb a new dryer with little issue, but a new refrigerator would require completely redoing the whole kitchen and would be something like $10k.  

3 hours ago, Terabith said:

Our dryer is older than our oldest kid, who is 18.  It's still ticking along just fine.  I commented the other day that I couldn't believe it was still functional and tried to ask my husband how long they usually lasted, and the only response I got was him running across the room, covering up my mouth, and hissing, "DON'T TALK ABOUT IT WHERE IT CAN HEAR YOU!!!"  

Which was certainly good advice, but I'm kinda wondering if we should be preparing for its demise.  

Haha yes! I spoke this way about our 16 year old refrigerator and dh wanted to scream. He’s like, yeah it will break down NOW!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our first one lasted around 20 years, and was still working when we sold it.  The matching washing machine died and we were about a month from moving and decided just to get new ones after the move.  My moms dryer lasted for over 30 years, but she didn't use it very often.  She mostly hung up clothes to dry.

Our "new" one is three years old and we haven't had any problems so far, but I have been told that new appliances aren't made to last near as long.

7 hours ago, Terabith said:

I have nightmares about our fridge dying.  We bought the house 13 years ago, and it came with the house.  I hate it; it's a just under standard size fridge, but it has its own alcove.  I really, really, really, REALLY want an icemaker that makes crushed ice.  But I can't get one that fits the stupid alcove.  I'm not even sure they make them the size of the alcove anymore.  We have an emergency fund, and we could absorb a new dryer with little issue, but a new refrigerator would require completely redoing the whole kitchen and would be something like $10k.  

You can buy portable crushed ice makers. 

Also, start looking at the rooms adjacent to your kitchen with imaginative eyes. The fridge doesn't have to be in the kitchen. We have one in our kitchen, but we have a second one in the dining room. I would have it in the living room before I spent $10k just to have it in the kitchen. 

• Like 1

Say some very, very nice things about your dryer and washer as soon as you can. (They are likely good buddies and you don't want to make your washer jealous). Say thank you for the many years of helping your family stay fresh and clean. For drying your jeans all the way, fluffing up blankets, and being so soft and gentle on your delicates.  You could leave some money in your jeans, and tell her that it for her, so she knows how much you appreciate her! Maybe wipe out her seals, and use some window cleaner to make her shine, while you tell her how pretty and young she looks! A little appliance love goes a long way! 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Tap said:

Say some very, very nice things about your drier and washer as soon as you can. (They are likely good buddies and you don't want to make your washer jealous). Say thank you for the many years of helping your family stay fresh and clean. For drying your jeans all the way, fluffing up blankets, and being so soft and gentle on your delicates.  You could leave some money in your jeans, and tell her that it for her, so she knows how much you appreciate her! Maybe wipe out her seals, and use some window cleaner to make her shine, while you tell her how pretty and young she looks! A little appliance love goes a long way! 

I do this. 

I also have conversations with my cats.

I have a 1987  Maytag that's had a few repairs along the way, but I give it that for going strong for 35 years.  I fully dry towels, sheets, underwear and some other items. Pants, shirts, and sweatshirts go in for ten minutes to get the wrinkles out and then are hung to dry in my laundry room.

Shhhhh! Definitely don't say anything within hearing of your dryer!!!!!!! Ours was 18 and still going strong when we replaced it. The only reason we replaced it is that our 18yo washer died it's absolute last crumbling part death and we had to buy a new one off the store floor 2 months into the pandemic and my husband wanted the matching new dryer since it was right there on the store floor and we didn't know what was going to happen with Covid.

And I hear you on the fridge. It is 19yo and it can't die because I don't like any fridge out there. I also have a 1960s kitchen space issue and I refuse to give up cabinet space to accommodate the new standard fridges and nobody makes my old one.

We are on our 2nd washer and dryer. We bought the first pair in 1991  We replaced the washer in 2014 and the dryer in 2019, so that was 23 and 28 years.  I know these will not last that long. We already had to replace the timer on the dryer. The repairman said they put in a cheap plastic part that wears out quickly. We bought base model appliances, though. I didn't want a lot of sensors for things I don't really need. That just seemed like more things to break down. 

• Like 1