Menu

If you had $350 to spend on a family gift

Excelsior! Academy

Depending on current want / needs of those in the family:

maybe an equal share each towards something to spruce up each person’s room (every time they see that thing they will think of Grandma)

Like PPs mentioned, a special outing for the family - would need to be flexible though if anything changed last minute

A class for each person or special supplies for a loved hobby of each person 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, plansrme said:

A fire pit. That's what I gave as a family gift this year. Handmade steel firepit with fancy marshmallow sticks and other fun accessories. They loved it.

Oooh, I love that idea! We have so many wonderful memories with our firepit! 

8 minutes ago, MrsMommy said:

If I also have a time machine, I would have taken the family to see the symphony play the score of the Muppet Christmas Carol live while they show the movie last month.

If you find a time machine for $350 can you post a link because I will absolutely get that for our family's next gift giving occasion.

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

A weekend at a cabin. Either now or in a preferred season. I would likely have to put money with it, but to have time away, with limited tech availability, is pure heaven to me. I would chose a place with hiking, snow sports or a lake to swim in near by. A puzzle for the weekend, a movie each night, fun snacks, games, simple dinners and some lovely family favorites.

DD23 and I rented a cabin for 3 nights this past fall, in an area we used to frequent when she was growing up. It made me realize how much I miss having that opportunity and pledge to make it happen more as time goes on.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 7

Right now, I'd ask my kids to make suggestions.  Maybe I'd put it in the bank for a future k-pop concert.

When my kids were little, I'd probably have used it to buy a membership at some amenity we all enjoy / benefit from.  Or a road trip including one or more fun attractions.

• Like 1

When the kids were small, their granddad gave us a chunk of money and we bought them a table football/foosball set. It was just the right thing to bridge between two kids with different energy levels. And there weren't any rules - that we let them know about - for anyone to get legalistic about.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

When the kids were small, their granddad gave us a chunk of money and we bought them a table football/foosball set. It was just the right thing to bridge between two kids with different energy levels. And there weren't any rules - that we let them know about - for anyone to get legalistic about.

This or something along this line. 

• Like 2

Depends so much on the family and what works for them. May mom bought the kids a go kart, it was great. 

I just spent about that much on a Nintendo switch , which came with Mario Kart,  and extra controllers (but the aftermarket, not Nintendo ones). I also spent more than that on a few extra games. It’s been great for all the kids, but other years  if my parents had wanted to buy them that, I’d have said no.

An air hockey table would be awesome, but only if there’s room for it.

Combined, that's about what we usually get from grandparents for Christmas, so I've thought about this a lot. We've done science/childrens museum passes. We've built all 4 girls their own raised bed gardens. We put that money towards themepark season passes near us. We plan to build a zipline. We also put that money towards short-term classes for them, like homeschool 4-week STEM classes. 

A bluetooth great set of really good portable speakers so we could listen to music outside, inside, upstairs, downstairs.  As a matter of fact, that is exactly what we bought.  Something like this; we didn't get this exact model.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Pro-Addon-Multi-Room-Compatible/dp/B06Y2LTVCF/ref=asc_df_B06Y2LTVCF/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242015686760&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18445188807165386653&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052182&hvtargid=pla-350344682316&psc=1

Family pass to somewhere, game console, trampoline, keyboard. . .

Given that my kiddos are 3-20, I could also spend the money on some really nice games.  Some of the cool ones that adults and older kids like are pretty expensive.  I would add things like a big puzzle/game board, card holders for young ones, etc.  One year when we were kids (four of us in a nine year span), my grandparents sent my parents some money for us, and they bought a whole bunch of games, which we then played a lot.