Menu

Prayers and good thoughts

Mrs Tiggywinkle

I was in the ER all morning and diagnosed with a serious kidney infection. It wasn’t quite septic levels and they discharged me home with zofran and antibiotics.  I didn’t make it 30 minutes without vomiting up the antibiotics and I’m now in severe pain.  

the thing is, I am supposed to fly out Saturday to Florida with my 11 year old. He has autism and switching plans would be so hard for him. Pray that I get better quickly? This is important for my kid and honestly I just need to feel better.

• Sad 34

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

Did you have travel insurance? It seems like you need to change your plans. 

I do for Universal, but we don’t actually go there till Tuesday. I can skip going to my sister’s and buy some time if I need to.  Plane tickets were $55 a piece and insurance cost more than the tickets themselves so I didn’t get that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Plane tickets

Can they change? Southwest lets you change right up to the last minute. 

If you're getting this sick, maybe you're pretty run down from stress and everything you've been doing? I know you're saying autism, but surely he could handle a date change. Surely Universal has a way to change dates too. It's not like you're the only person to have this happen.

I’m praying! I was just in a similar boat when I had an allergic reaction to shrimp. I was supposed to take my youngest (who is also autistic) to visit her sister in Atlanta. I had to delay a day, and it didn’t go over well with dd.

I’m praying you feel better fast so you both can enjoy your trip. 

Kidney infections are no joke. I’m so sorry.

4 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

The resident ER doctor told me, well, if you get worse tomorrow you can come back and after that there’s hospitals in Florida, you know.

I had asked for a loading dose of IV antibiotics because I knew I wasn’t going to keep oral pills down tonight even with zofran. 

Did they actually do that? If not, can you hit an urgent care or go back to the ER for a quick shot at least?

• Like 2

Can you get a different form of antibiotics?  (Liquid, instead of a pill, for example.)  Would that be easier to swallow and keep down?  If so, can you get it tonight?  Or if you took it with a little food, could you keep it down?  (So maybe you could try another one right away.)

One thing that helps with the pain almost immediately is Phenazopyridine.  (Also known as Pyridium.)   It is worth driving to an all-night pharmacy right now if you can.  They're specifically for UTI's that are so painful that you can't wait for the antibiotics to kick in to help.  I needed them just once, and it is like a miracle pill.  They take care of the pain until the antibiotics work.   They do turn your urine pink or orange, as I recall.  I got mine as a prescription, but I think nowadays I've seen them sold over-the-counter.

• Like 1