Menu

Boardies with Covid experience of vaccinated

TexasProud

11 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

It's evidence that it's waning.  Most of it is with delta, so they are comparing breakthrough rates for people vaccinated by month.  By this, I mean everyone infected in July, for example, is broken down by when they were vaccinated.  The highest breakthrough rates are for January vaccinated, then decrease as we get more recent.  It's true that the older folks were vaccinated first, so that could confound it a little, but the differences are sharp, and we don't see those differences in hospitalization and death rates.  There does exist plenty of other evidence that delta is more contagious, but that is not what this is concerned with.  It's a double whammy.

Not sure if it was the same everywhere, but here first responders/healthcare workers were among the first group to be vaccinated.

• Like 2

Just now, AbcdeDooDah said:

Not sure if it was the same everywhere, but here first responders/healthcare workers were among the first group to be vaccinated.

I’m a first responder and get my second Moderna shot in January. I also had Covid.

Before going to Florida, I had my kids and I checked for antibodies. DD, who never had Covid that we knew of, was positive. I was not(but I have a history of being vaccine resistant. I’ve done the full Hep B series twice and chickenpox twice and don’t have positive titers for either).   It’s anecdotal, of course, but at this point I assume I am not particularly immune.

39 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

I still think it's best for most of us to be vaccinated, but this is the kind of BS that makes people distrust the government.

I'm sorry, I'm not following which part of what you said is BS from the government. I thought we were talking about whether the 39% number out of Israel is accurate. Can you clarify?

1 minute ago, KSera said:

I'm sorry, I'm not following which part of what you said is BS from the government. I thought we were talking about whether the 39% number out of Israel is accurate. Can you clarify?

Playing up the 88% number from the UK and playing down the 39% number from Israel all the while referring to "very rare" breakthrough cases is BS.  Breakthrough is happening in a big way, not a "very rare" way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

Playing up the 88% number from the UK and playing down the 39% number from Israel all the while referring to "very rare" breakthrough cases is BS.  Breakthrough is happening in a big way, not a "very rare" way.

It’s not rare.

But preventing 40% of infections (rounding up) is HUGE and not to be dismissed. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

It's evidence that it's waning.  Most of it is with delta, so they are comparing breakthrough rates for people vaccinated by month.  By this, I mean everyone infected in July, for example, is broken down by when they were vaccinated.  The highest breakthrough rates are for January vaccinated, then decrease as we get more recent.  It's true that the older folks were vaccinated first, so that could confound it a little, but the differences are sharp, and we don't see those differences in hospitalization and death rates.  There does exist plenty of other evidence that delta is more contagious, but that is not what this is concerned with.  It's a double whammy.

Which is really discouraging. I had my second shot in February.  I kind of expected we'd eventually need a yearly shot like the flu but 1) I don't really want a third of this new technology shot. I remember reading something about doctors being concerned about 3 shorts for some reason and I don't remember the details and 2) Not this soon! I should have at least until time the flu shot comes out and maybe it can be combination -- flu/COVID?

If we remember that a LOT of vaccines we are familiar with take 3 or more doses to hit full efficacy, we’d maybe feel better about a third Covid shot. 

Hep B is 3, for instance. TDaP/DTaP is at least 3, polio is at least 3 doses, etc. 

Why Covid being 3 is so weird to people I don’t understand. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

Oh. I guess I'm not thinking of those numbers as coming from the government, but maybe that's because they haven't been my primary source of virus news throughout all this. I follow virologists, immunologists, epidemiologists, and public health people and keep tabs on what they're saying. The CDC obviously is a public health agency, and I do keep up with what they are saying, but I also think they have done a particularly poor job with the messaging aspects of this from the very start.

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Hep B is 3, for instance.

I hadn't considered Hep B. I mean, I was aware that lots and lots of vaccines are a series, but was thinking most of those were done in kids. I had to have Hep B in college as a health care provider though, and it was pretty new then, and I had three shots, as an adult.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

If we remember that a LOT of vaccines we are familiar with take 3 or more doses to hit full efficacy, we’d maybe feel better about a third Covid shot. 

Hep B is 3, for instance. TDaP/DTaP is at least 3, polio is at least 3 doses, etc. 

Yeah, you know, I don't really have a problem with needing a booster, and I do think the reduction in hospitalization s and deaths is worth getting vaccinated for most people.  I guess what is working me up is the dishonesty of it.  It's like the CDC is trying to pretend breakthroughs are rare and we won't need boosters just until we can get all the fence-sitters jabbed.  Then they'll be like, oh, we didnt know, this is new data.  It's not a good way to win a war against internet conspiracy theories.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

Yeah, you know, I don't really have a problem with needing a booster, and I do think the reduction in hospitalization s and deaths is worth getting vaccinated for most people.  I guess what is working me up is the dishonesty of it.  It's like the CDC is trying to pretend breakthroughs are rare and we won't need boosters just until we can get all the fence-sitters jabbed.  Then they'll be like, oh, we didnt know, this is new data.  It's not a good way to win a war against internet conspiracy theories.

I think the CDC messaging has been pretty consistently terrible (in all different directions) from the beginning. I feel like they just throw different things at the wall every month or two, trying to get something to stick. 

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

I think the CDC has done a really poor job with the messaging, no question. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Is there a sense, generally, of how people have caught COVID while vaccinated? (I read the descriptions in people's posts but am wondering if anyone has anything to add.) 

So I can tell you what happened with my mom.  She drove a friend to a luncheon a week ago Sunday.  This friend was vaccinated and "sniffling" a bit.  At some point during the (45 min) ride, the friend said that her teenage daughter had "a really horrible cold, but it's ok because I'm vaccinated."  (The woman's daughter was not vaccinated, BTW, because the father wouldn't let her.)  Three days later, my mom felt like her allergies were acting up, which is normal for her this time of year.  The next day, it seemed more like a cold than allergies.  Then the next day she went for a test "just in case."  It hasn't been worse than a cold for her, thankfully, except that she also has no sense of taste and smell.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kokotg said:

I think the CDC messaging has been pretty consistently terrible (in all different directions) from the beginning. I feel like they just throw different things at the wall every month or two, trying to get something to stick. 

I feel like public health in general in the U.S. is going to experience a huge hit in confidence going forward... from the anti-vax conspiracy theorists to the furious vaccinated who feel they were sold a bill of goods.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cecropia said:

I feel like public health in general in the U.S. is going to experience a huge hit in confidence going forward... from the anti-vax conspiracy theorists to the furious vaccinated who feel they were sold a bill of goods.

Having the virus mutate so it is more transmissible doesn’t mean they were sold a bill of goods. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Syllieann said:

2 hours ago, kokotg said:

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I think the CDC has done a really poor job with the messaging, no question. 

It looks like we can all agree on this point. While that's super unfortunate, there are lots of more trustworthy scientific sources people can rely on (most have which have agreed that the CDC messaging has been awful).

30 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

So I can tell you what happened with my mom.  She drove a friend to a luncheon a week ago Sunday.  This friend was vaccinated and "sniffling" a bit.  At some point during the (45 min) ride, the friend said that her teenage daughter had "a really horrible cold, but it's ok because I'm vaccinated."  (The woman's daughter was not vaccinated, BTW, because the father wouldn't let her.)  Three days later, my mom felt like her allergies were acting up, which is normal for her this time of year.  The next day, it seemed more like a cold than allergies.  Then the next day she went for a test "just in case."  It hasn't been worse than a cold for her, thankfully, except that she also has no sense of taste and smell.  

This matches the vast majority of breakthrough cases I've heard of--the majority I know of have started in an unvaccinated kid, who then transmitted to someone they live with or spend a lot of time with.

1 minute ago, Cecropia said:

I don't think most vaccinated are going to feel they were sold a bill of goods, unless they did so begrudgingly and have been looking for reasons to be mad about it.  Their vaccine is going to keep them alive and out of the hospital, which is a lot better to me than a bill of goods. I guess like anything that keeps people alive, those that would otherwise have died will never know it. (It's like all those people who say things like, "I never wore a seatbelt growing up, and I'm still here!")

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

I don't think most vaccinated are going to feel they were sold a bill of goods, unless they did so begrudgingly and have been looking for reasons to be mad about it. 

I personally don't feel like I've been sold a bill of goods, but I'm pretty irritated about the whole thing.  I am thankful that my mom is experiencing what only feels like a cold, because I think she would be in the hospital by now if she wasn't vaccinated, with her history of really bad bronchitis and pneumonia and other lung issues. I feel pretty confident that if any of the rest of us get it, it will be mild, and I think we have the vaccine to thank for that.  I guess I'm mostly irritated that people are selfish and irresponsible and choose to ignore their own symptoms and serious symptoms of their unvaccinated kids.  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

I personally don't feel like I've been sold a bill of goods, but I'm pretty irritated about the whole thing.  I am thankful that my mom is experiencing what only feels like a cold, because I think she would be in the hospital by now if she wasn't vaccinated, with her history of really bad bronchitis and pneumonia and other lung issues. I feel pretty confident that if any of the rest of us get it, it will be mild, and I think we have the vaccine to thank for that.  I guess I'm mostly irritated that people are selfish and irresponsible and choose to ignore their own symptoms and serious symptoms of their unvaccinated kids.  

I'm also irritated about how people are behaving. I have to say, you'd think by now people would be taking respiratory symptoms seriously... but nooo. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Having the virus mutate so it is more transmissible doesn’t mean they were sold a bill of goods. 

I said "who feel they were sold a bill of goods."  Many people only got vaccinated so that they could be rewarded with going around maskless, traveling, attending events, and "going back to normal," while feeling confident that they're "safe."  Would they define "safe" as "not hospitalized or dead"?  I don't know... plenty of posters here have expressed much concern over long covid and the hidden damage of even asymptomatic covid.  Others were vaccinated because they want to hug Grandma freely without having to worry about spreading the virus to her.  I don't know about you, but the TV ads in my state have been (and are still) incessantly hammering the vaccine promises for many months, without any caveats.  People can talk about how that was then, and now Delta has changed things, and how could anyone have known --- but I'm not going to be at all surprised if many of the vaccinated are angry and direct the blame at public health because they were promised a carrot, and they ain't gonna get it!

Disclaimer: I have also been very angry at the CDC/government response to covid since this whole thing began, but not for personal reasons like those stated above.  I went into my vaccine decision after much agonizing, tons of research, as aware of the risks/limitations as I felt I could be, and I take responsibility for whatever outcome lies ahead.  (My time/ability to do that research was a luxury, and I am so grateful that I was not limited to the public health messages.)

• Like 3

Just now, ktgrok said:

Things changed, crap happens. It is totally unreasonable to be angry that those saying something consistent with the science then. The dang virus changed. That’s not a messaging mistake, it’s just what happened. 

I am not angry at the people who did the messaging. I am just REALLY REALLY angry. And I don't get angry. I just don't. But I am tired of feeling trapped. I have tried to do everything right and nothing will be normal for at least a year, maybe longer no matter what I do.   I am really, really pissed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I am not angry at the people who did the messaging. I am just REALLY REALLY angry. And I don't get angry. I just don't. But I am tired of feeling trapped. I have tried to do everything right and nothing will be normal for at least a year, maybe longer no matter what I do.   I am really, really pissed. 

I'm not ready to lock down for another year and I don't expect we'll have to. 

I'll get a booster, I'll get the kids vaccinated, and then we're going to go back to normal life, more or less. Unless there's really dire data about long COVID in vaccinated people, I guess. But I'm crossing my fingers that doesn't happen. 

• Like 3

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

I'm not ready to lock down for another year and I don't expect we'll have to. 

I'll get a booster, I'll get the kids vaccinated, and then we're going to go back to normal life, more or less. Unless there's really dire data about long COVID in vaccinated people, I guess. But I'm crossing my fingers that doesn't happen. 

I am not either, but people are living normal lives here with no masks or social distancing, 60 youth kids going to youth camp and cramming together. I cannot really interact safely and who knows when they will say the booster is ok.

Just now, TexasProud said:

I am not either, but people are living normal lives here with no masks or social distancing, 60 youth kids going to youth camp and cramming together. I cannot really interact safely and who knows when they will say the booster is ok.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that you're in "COVID is nonsense" land 😕 . 

16 hours ago, TexasProud said:

same. 

And it does make you ANGRY, because if everyone was being responsible, we could be so much closer to normal. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Syllieann said:

I am super annoyed at the statistics of "99.9%" of vaccinated people aren't getting covid. That's playing unfair with numbers. It's true, but to make a proper comparison, they would also have to give the percentage of unvaccinated people that aren't getting covid, right? So it might sound like "99.9% of vaccinated and 99.5% of unvaccinated people haven't gotten covid." Or whatever the numbers are. I would much prefer to see what percent of infected people are vaccinated vs. unvaccinated - I feel that would be more informative. I am vaccinated, as is my family and would be more than happy to get a booster - I just don't think the way the CDC is presenting stats right now makes much sense and is not likely to convince many people to get vaccinated.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AmandaVT said:

I am super annoyed at the statistics of "99.9%" of vaccinated people aren't getting covid. That's playing unfair with numbers. It's true, but to make a proper comparison, they would also have to give the percentage of unvaccinated people that aren't getting covid, right? So it might sound like "99.9% of vaccinated and 99.5% of unvaccinated people haven't gotten covid." Or whatever the numbers are. I would much prefer to see what percent of infected people are vaccinated vs. unvaccinated - I feel that would be more informative. I am vaccinated, as is my family and would be more than happy to get a booster - I just don't think the way the CDC is presenting stats right now makes much sense and is not likely to convince many people to get vaccinated.

Plus they don’t know that. They aren’t tracking the infected vaccinated people!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

So my dad got a test and it came back negative.  His February vax seems to be holding up.  (He didn't have symptoms, just wanted to rule it out, because he has been in the closest proximity to my mom.)  I'm hoping the rest of us remain covid-free. I'm planning to get antibody testing done next month.  I would love to start the fall vaxxed AND with antibodies and without having suffered through covid!  Maybe wishful thinking, I know.  

Also, my mom's experience with covid had  been just a bad cold and no sense of taste/smell.  She's doing much better one week in. 

• Like 9

I know a few vaccinated people now who just knew to test and had a very minor case of covid.  It also didn't seem like they were spreading it much if at all either.  My vaccinated kid was exposed and did not get covid.  

I do think at least some states and counties are tracking vax vs unvaxed cases.  One thing I was thinking about though is there is almost no way to track that back and verify the vaccination I'm sure.  Like my kid was exposed by a college student that said he was vaccinated.  But is he?  Meh - no idea.  You hope most people would not be lying.  But I could see a new college student in a pro vax area stumbling on that question if asked.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

If I were tested it'd be through my Medical Office and they definitely know about my vaccination.

The only issue with that is some are being charged after getting tested at their doctors instead of testing sites.  If anyone is wondering, it is about 200 for the charge.  My friend is currently arguing against this charge.  

8 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

The only issue with that is some are being charged after getting tested at their doctors instead of testing sites.  If anyone is wondering, it is about 200 for the charge.  My friend is currently arguing against this charge.  

So far we have not been. (My husband has been tested three times and just last week my daughter was -- my daughter is on different insurance so we'll see)

6 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Interesting. How? Is there a survey when they test? 

I'm also still getting v-safe checkups and they ask each time if I have had a positive covid test since my last checkin (among other questions).

• Like 5

We truly have no idea how much mild to asymptomatic caseload we have.

I have had increased allergy and cough variant asthma this week. Kids are also showing their usual allergy flares also. I ended up swabbing myself with a Binax test because I could but most wouldn’t bother. (It came back negative. I am still isolating—mostly because I don’t want to pick up germs from the community.)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We truly have no idea how much mild to asymptomatic caseload we have.

I have had increased allergy and cough variant asthma this week. Kids are also showing their usual allergy flares also. I ended up swabbing myself with a Binax test because I could but most wouldn’t bother. (It came back negative. I am still isolating—mostly because I don’t want to pick up germs from the community.)

And even if you do swab yourself, who even knows about it?? 

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

And even if you do swab yourself, who even knows about it?? 

Exactly. Here they don’t want reports from self testing. I looked into testing here and they’ve closed most of the easy to access sites. Urgent cares and my doctor’s office aren’t swabbing—I have to get an appointment with a central office.

Binax kits are hard to find here as well. We had to hit multiple stores. Super frustrating. It’s very different from where my parents live where they give away tons of tests and you can get a walk-up appointment at the drive thru site.

• Like 1

And, last vent of the day, none of that is feasible for people like me who have allergy symptoms 40+ weeks of the year and yet still are making weekly decisions about taking immunosuppressants. I am not supposed to use them if ill but if the symptoms for mild covid line up with allergies, I have no good basis for decision making other than getting a weekly test. I can afford it, but at $12.50/week, I am exercising my privilege to do so.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, KSera said:

I'm also still getting v-safe checkups and they ask each time if I have had a positive covid test since my last checkin (among other questions).

Interestingly. I had not gotten a checkup in MONTHS and got one yesterday. I wondered if they reactivated it for determining breakthrough

• Like 1

Just now, vonfirmath said:

Interestingly. I had not gotten a checkup in MONTHS and got one yesterday. I wondered if they reactivated it for determining breakthrough

I got one a few days ago, but it was for my three month check in. From the CDC

How long do v-safe check-ins last?
During the first week after you get your vaccine, v-safe will send you a text message each day to ask how you are doing. Then you will get check-in messages once a week for up to 5 weeks. The questions v-safe asks take less than 5 minutes to answer.

If you need a second dose of vaccine, v-safe will provide a new 6-week check-in process so you can share your second-dose vaccine experience as well. Finally, you’ll receive check-ins 3, 6, and 12 months after your final dose of vaccine.

49 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

And, last vent of the day, none of that is feasible for people like me who have allergy symptoms 40+ weeks of the year and yet still are making weekly decisions about taking immunosuppressants. I am not supposed to use them if ill but if the symptoms for mild covid line up with allergies, I have no good basis for decision making other than getting a weekly test. I can afford it, but at $12.50/week, I am exercising my privilege to do so.

My infusion team was talking about this.  They were talking about tests before IV treatments because it is allergy season. 🤷‍♀️

I did a drive-through test today, because my whole family was exposed to a lot of people on Saturday and then three of us had sniffles and sore throats starting Monday.  The appointment forms asked for my vaccination dates.  

Part of our family attended a wedding last weekend, first time attending an event since the pandemic event.  It was held outside, a very pro-vaccine bunch.  Yesterday I got a call from the host saying that someone from our table began to feel ill the next day, so took a Covid test to rule that out -- it was positive.  He was fully vaccinated, around 65 years old, seemingly fit and healthy.  (He still works full time, bikes a lot, etc.)  He's very sick... not hospitalized, but feeling so sick and lethargic that he's been in bed now for five days.  His wife tested negative.

Our family will be tested today, although we're not experiencing any symptoms.  

Edited by J-rap
spelling error!
  • Sad 14

3 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Part of our family attended a wedding last weekend, first time attending an event since the pandemic event.  It was held outside, a very pro-vaccine bunch.  Yesterday I got a call from the host saying that someone from our table began to fill ill the next day, so took a Covid test to rule that out -- it was positive.  He was fully vaccinated, around 65 years old, seemingly fit and healthy.  (He still works full time, bikes a lot, etc.)  He's very sick... not hospitalized, but feeling so sick and lethargic that he's been in bed now for five days.  His wife tested negative.

Our family will be tested today, although we're not experiencing any symptoms.  

Hope you and your family stay healthy.  Please update when you can.

Earlier in the thread, I posted that someone I went to high school with was very sick and hospitalized with Covid and was fully vaccinated.  He was just released from the hospital after a two week stay.  He's 56.  I don't know if he had any underlying conditions. 

• Like 6