Menu

Boardies with Covid experience of vaccinated

TexasProud

Updated- DD is negative. Her mask and Pfizer were protective. 

We're still waiting on DD's test results. I think she'll be negative because she remains asymptomatic. I'm concerned, however, about testing accuracy because we had to decline the rapid test multiple times- everyone we talked to wanted to give her the rapid test. On the clinic's own website it says the rapid test is not for asymptomatic individuals and I reminded them of that. They told me they were required to offer it and to say it was only a matter of "personal choice." It's discouraging and not confidence boosting! 

If I wanted a rapid test, I'd have picked one of the OTC ones up and stayed out of the germy clinic! 

Edited by Paige
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

A family member in her earlys 40s has COVID.  She was fully vaccinated with Pfizer this spring.  

A young (under 12) relative who is living with them was sick first--probably got COVID at a church camp.  Then her own daughter (also under 12) got COVID, and now she has it.  She said so far she has felt mostly tired but nothing  too bad.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

A family member in her earlys 40s has COVID.  She was fully vaccinated with Pfizer this spring.  

A young (under 12) relative who is living with them was sick first--probably got COVID at a church camp.  Then her own daughter (also under 12) got COVID, and now she has it.  She said so far she has felt mostly tired but nothing  too bad.

I haven’t seen anything yet about the most common index case in breakthrough Delta infections, but with the people I know, it keeps being the unvaccinated kids who are the index cases. Would be interesting to know just how common that pattern is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

My mom just called and told me my sister is very sick with Covid.  She had Covid in the spring of 2020 and then got vaccinated with Moderna.  She has significant lung issues from her first round with Covid and is pretty sick again now.  

Wow! That's awful. 😞

14 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

My mom just called and told me my sister is very sick with Covid.  She had Covid in the spring of 2020 and then got vaccinated with Moderna.  She has significant lung issues from her first round with Covid and is pretty sick again now.  

Oh no! Do you have any known autoimmune or immune compromising issues in your family? You’ve had quite a few repeat infections among you, no?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KSera said:

Oh no! Do you have any known autoimmune or immune compromising issues in your family? You’ve had quite a few repeat infections among you, no?

Nope. I have diabetes but that’s it. My sister has no medical conditions aside from lung damage the first round and my cousin who got so sick has no underlying medical conditions either.  We are known to tend to be vaccine resistant to a couple vaccines though.

My mother is getting over it.   Fully vaxxed with Pfizer (I think).    She got hit bad for about 36 hrs or so and then started feeling better.   She hasn't had to have any meds except Tylenol and mucinex and she's had no infusion.    So far, my (fully vaxxed) dad in the same house, is fine.  🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by WildflowerMom
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

She’s in Florida so it’s rampant.  Her kids started school last week and she has foster kids with lots of appointments, so she’s got a lot of exposure unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Nope. I have diabetes but that’s it. My sister has no medical conditions aside from lung damage the first round and my cousin who got so sick has no underlying medical conditions either.  We are known to tend to be vaccine resistant to a couple vaccines though.

Yeah, It seems y'all must have a type of immunodeficiency that keeps you from making proper antibodies to this type of virus/vaccine. A form of Specific Antibody Deficiency is probably the category - often those are tested for specifically by vaccinating for a particular thing (usually one of the pneumonia bacteria) and then testing titers. Those who don't respond have an antibody deficiency of some sort. Likely genetic.

Which is interesting, but not helpful when it is your family. I'm so sorry. Maybe something to look into later when the world is less insane. My friend's son has this and she is terrified for him - they are also in Florida. https://primaryimmune.org/about-primary-immunodeficiencies/specific-disease-types/specific-antibody-deficiency/

Edit - if you/she do have something like that, I wonder if plasma therapy would be especially helpful. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So we are on round two of quarantine. Youngest DS tested positive. Both he and his brother were sick so I had them tested. One came back negative and one positive. Both had what seemed like cold symptoms.

DH and I still have had no symptoms whatsoever. We are all testing again Monday. If they come back negative I can start counting down days until I'm free again. 

Everyone in our family had the Pfizer vaccine but the kids had their vaccines months after the adults. The whole thing is strange. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, frogger said:

]The whole thing is strange. 

It really is strange and seems so random at times.  Hope you and DH stay healthy!  

My great aunt is vaccinated and caught Covid at her nursing home from an unvaccinated worker.  She's 104.  Her daughter (my cousin) said she's not doing well but she's still at the home and not in the hospital, so I don't know.  

• Sad 9

I'm close to a healthy 29yo with a breakthrough case.  They're still miserable after two and a half weeks and still testing positive.   Nothing needing hospitalization though. Vax was early on because of work.

The timing is such that they're pretty sure they caught it at a multi day outdoor music festival/camping. 

In general, we need to stop thinking that outdoors is completely safe.

• Sad 4

The news from Venezuela is pretty grim. My BIL has Covid after getting fully vaxxed with Sinopharm. He lives with my 87 yo FIL who has had one dose of Sputnik. They also live with a home health aide who's also been vaxxed with Sinopharm and is sick. A cousin who shops for them (this is a huge job in Caracas involving hunting down products and sometimes standing in line) also got Sinopharm and is sick. 

We knew that Sinopharm was not the best vaccine but it was the only one available at vaccine clinics. There was a special program for the elderly that used Sputnik but they ran out of vaccine and could only give one dose to participants, so FIL was left minimally protected since he can't get the Sinopharm at a public event after starting the Sputnik course. We couldn't find anyone who was black marketing Pfizer or Moderna. 

I'm pretty bitter about all the doses of vaccine the US has had to discard because people refuse to get vaccinated. There are people all over the world who would gladly take them if they could.

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

20 hours ago, happi duck said:

Well, the other thing is these outdoor festivals usually involve shared restrooms with tons of traffic, very tight spaces and lines, sitting in strangers bubbles for potentially hours in places without good air flow, etc.  Heck I wouldn't want my tent pitched within 20+ feet of someone I didn't know right now.  I think we need to look harder at specifics of these situations.  

• Like 6

20 hours ago, happi duck said:

That’s definitely an oversimplification, but I’ll say that my impression is that it’s like 10 times safer, from personal experience as well as the stats. We still haven’t picked up a single respiratory infection this summer. It’s been 3 months. Our friends at indoor camps are NOT having this experience. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Well, the other thing is these outdoor festivals usually involve shared restrooms with tons of traffic, very tight spaces and lines, sitting in strangers bubbles for potentially hours in places without good air flow, etc.  Heck I wouldn't want my tent pitched within 20+ feet of someone I didn't know right now.  I think we need to look harder at specifics of these situations.  

This is what I meant but you were much clearer!  Thanks!

I think people hear "outdoor" and stop thinking about covid precautions.  I have seen photos of summer fest type things and mask less people are packed tight in front of the stage.  It might be outdoors but being packed tight with people who are definitely singing along and shouting is a big nope!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1