Menu

Boardies with Covid experience of vaccinated

TexasProud

I know we had a thread like this earlier, but I would like to start a thread for those or close relatives who got Covid, but were vaccinated.  How long and how severe. (You may have to come back to update that.)

Please add what vaccine they had and when they got it as well. 

Edited by TexasProud
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My sister-in-law was fully vaccinated with Moderna in March-April timeframe. In late May/early June, her daughter was quarantined due to a Covid exposure at school. SIL had cold symptoms and tested positive. Her illness was fairly mild, but I'm grateful she was vaccinated as she has underlying conditions that could have made things worse. Niece also tested positive but was completely asymptomatic. 

25 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I know we had a thread like this earlier, but I would like to start a thread for those or close relatives who got Covid, but were vaccinated.  How long and how severe. (You may have to come back to update that.)

Thank you for starting this thread, @TexasProud! I have been wondering about this, too.

• Like 7

My 33yo niece got it and was vaccinated.  It lasted a few weeks and was like a bad cold.

That said, I'm' not sure how her parents know for sure that she was actually vaccinated.  She's a bit wild (acts like she's still a teenager).

ETA:  Covid was confirmed with testing.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1

Can we extend to people we know IRL? My best friend's mother is fully vaxxed and in the hospital. She is in her 70s but very active and in good health. She is holding her own but sleeping almost 24/7. 
ETA She had Moderna. Her husband also got Covid (also Moderna) but was not hospitalized though very sick. Interesting because he is not as healthy as she. She is home now thank goodness. 

Edited by whitestavern
  • Sad 8

1 minute ago, whitestavern said:

Can we extend to people we know IRL? My best friend's mother is fully vaxxed and in the hospital. She is in her 70s but very active and in good health. She is holding her own but sleeping almost 24/7. 

Yes, if you know them pretty well.

• Like 4

A college student that we are close to is vaccinated and tested positive (from the same outbreak that infected our family). She was sick a few days with pretty mild flu-like symptoms. She lives in an apartment with 5 or 6 other vaccinated students, and none of them caught it. (She was able to isolate in her room, had her own bathroom.)

• Like 4

Caveat: I'm still not completely sure dh did have Covid.  While symptomatic (fever) he had a negative rapid and 3 days later a positive one but they never sent in the PCR, so idk. We are in a high vax area with very low local cases and he is careful. A visitor did corner him at church and lecture him about asking non-vaccinated folks to mask (which is the state guidance).  He was masked, she was not.  I am blaming her if it was covid. LOL

He had a "mild" case which doesn't mean it was comfortable.  He had a temperature for a week with a high (102-104 temp) for 3 or 4 days. When his temp was up he had a headache.  He basically lay in bed for 5-6 days.  He got Moderna, but had no vaccine reaction at all, which makes me wonder.

He was then fine for a week but has been having afternoon temperature rises.  He went to the doc today and they are sending him for a chest xray in case he has a touch of pneumonia. He had a negative PCR on Sunday. The are retesting him for tick born disease.

In the house are 4 other vaxxed folks and one not.  No one else got covid (3 of us were tested out of an abundance of caution.)

• Sad 4

DS tested positive today. He was vaccinated back in april I Think? 

He is congested, but has been for months due to allergies. (literally, we both are congested from Feb to October). His only new symptom is loss of smell. 

I took a test today as well, since I am having runny nose, etc but it was negative. Hoping it stays that way. He's been out of town - left last Thursday at 2am, got back yesterday at 10:30am, went to work at 1pm, came home at 6pm and was only in the shared space for about 15 minutes, then took food to his room, played a game online, and went to bed. He'd been up most of th enight before stuck in the airport after a flight delay, so was understandably tired. Woke up this morning with no sense of smell. 

I'm hoping that if he caught it while out of town, he wasn't home long enough with enough contact to spread it to us. But I ordered more rapid tests so we can retest people later. 

Edit: he had Pfizer. First dose in March, second dose early April. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Sad 6

I don't know which Covid thread to put this in, but this looks like the first study showing the possibility of long Covid in vaccinated people who get breakthrough infections 😔 https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/07/28/1021888033/breakthrough-infections-may-cause-long-covid-symptoms-small-study-suggests

Researchers studied 1,497 vaccinated health care workers at the Sheba Medical Center in Israel. Among them, only 39 got infected despite their inoculations. Of those, seven — or about 19% — developed symptoms that lasted at least six weeks, including headaches, muscle pain, loss of taste and smell and fatigue.

• Sad 13

My cousin was vaccinated, though probably not fully(not quite to second dose). She’s been very sick and hospitalized. It was confirmed to be Delta.

Not that I “know” them, but I had three patients last week who said they were vaccinated and were going to the ER. They had confirmed Covid but symptoms were pretty miserable.  “Hospitalized” statistics usually are people who have been admitted, not people who feels so awful they wind up in the emergency room but are not admitted. A whole lot of people have shortness of breath and dehydration but don’t get admitted, so they don’t count in the hospitalized statistics.  What the CDC  calls “mild Covid” does not really mean it feels mild. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

2 hours ago, freesia said:

Caveat: I'm still not completely sure dh did have Covid.  While symptomatic (fever) he had a negative rapid and 3 days later a positive one but they never sent in the PCR, so idk. We are in a high vax area with very low local cases and he is careful. A visitor did corner him at church and lecture him about asking non-vaccinated folks to mask (which is the state guidance).  He was masked, she was not.  I am blaming her if it was covid. LOL

He had a "mild" case which doesn't mean it was comfortable.  He had a temperature for a week with a high (102-104 temp) for 3 or 4 days. When his temp was up he had a headache.  He basically lay in bed for 5-6 days.  He got Moderna, but had no vaccine reaction at all, which makes me wonder.

He was then fine for a week but has been having afternoon temperature rises.  He went to the doc today and they are sending him for a chest xray in case he has a touch of pneumonia. He had a negative PCR on Sunday. The are retesting him for tick born disease.

In the house are 4 other vaxxed folks and one not.  No one else got covid (3 of us were tested out of an abundance of caution.)

I hope your dh is ok, Freesia! It’s scary when fevers return, so I hope you can get some answers quickly, and that it turns out to be something that is easily treatable.

• Like 1

I have a friend who just got over her Covid quarantine. She was fully vaccinated with Moderna in the spring.

She had just returned on a Sunday from an out of state trip to Texas to visit family, when her throat started hurting by Tuesday or Wednesday. She had a fever on Friday. On Saturday, she got her test results back and was astonished to find out that she was Covid positive. She started feeling better quickly after that.

They found out that their nephew in Texas tested positive after they had seen him, so they are sure that is where she was exposed. The others at the family gathering didn't report any illness, and they speculate that she got infected, because she is diabetic and a cancer survivor. Her husband didn't get sick.

I'm so thankful that she was vaccinated and had a mild case.

• Like 5

My colleague was off work sick for two weeks - high temperature,  cough, aches, exhaustion. He is back working from home now with lingering chest and leg pain, clammy sweatiness, insomnia. He said it was worse than his experience of swine flu and avian flu.

However, I believe that he is morbidly obese, and he wasn't hospitalised.

Pfizer or Moderna. ETA second dose 17 June.  Started to feel ill on 7 July.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Sad 4

I think it would be helpful if people posted which vax the person with breakthrough Covid had.  I assume this could help us to better understand our families' risks.

I wish the government sources would include this info in their stats.  It doesn't tell me anything if I don't know whether the breakthrough cases were J&J or mRNA.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SKL said:

I think it would be helpful if people posted which vax the person with breakthrough Covid had.  I assume this could help us to better understand our families' risks.

I wish the government sources would include this info in their stats.  It doesn't tell me anything if I don't know whether the breakthrough cases were J&J or mRNA.

Good idea. I've edited my post.

10 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Good idea. I've edited my post.

Also just thought of this - it might be useful to know how long ago the person was vaccinated, in case that is a factor, i.e., in case the vax effectiveness decreases over time.

• Like 5

Several friends who had the vaccine in April ( finished in May) who have been diagnosed with it.  They were very cautious and no underlying conditions. Two were hospitalized.  Another one lives in Britain was diagnosed recently.  She is fully vaccinated along with her family and is the only one who came down with it. She described it as the worst flu fatigue with no appetite.  However, as a bright side she is telling anyone who gets to try foods they usually hate as she is finding those currently more appealing/ can taste them if they are salty or bitter ( we are cracking up at her former hatred of broccoli and spinach as they are now some of her favorite foods). 

Not personal but a local talk radio the other day asked people who were fully vaccinated to call in if they had covid after vaccinating.  There were a good amount of calls including talking about the difficulty in getting tested as they are not testing the vaccinated here. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

One of my children was fully vaccinated with Pfizer in May. They tested positive this week. No symptoms. Their only known exposure was at work, where they were masked unless eating or drinking. Multiple co-workers tested positive, which is why they tested despite being asymptomatic. The rest of the family (also vaccinated) has tested negative.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Clear Creek said:

One of my children was fully vaccinated with Pfizer in May. They tested positive this week. No symptoms. Their only known exposure was at work, where they were masked unless eating or drinking. Multiple co-workers tested positive, which is why they tested despite being asymptomatic. The rest of the family (also vaccinated) has tested negative.

My friend's son was also fully vaccinated with Pfizer in May and just tested positive (had symptoms) yesterday.  He ate 2x in a restaurant over two weeks in a town with an 87% adult vaccination rate!  😞    My friend is distraught about this after being super cautious for the past 18 months. 

ETA - he's 17

Edited by Kassia
  • Sad 8

40 minutes ago, Kassia said:

My friend's son was also fully vaccinated with Pfizer in May and just tested positive (had symptoms) yesterday.  He ate 2x in a restaurant over two weeks in a town with an 87% adult vaccination rate!  😞    My friend is distraught about this after being super cautious for the past 18 months. 

Oh dear.

Relative is in her late nineties and in assisted living.  She was vaccinated pretty early on in the process.  Her facility locked everything down tight and actually had zero cases until a few months ago, when they had some positive tests for the first time ever.  She was one who tested positive, but she had zero symptoms.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

I think as long as under 12 isn't vaccinated, it won't matter how high the adult rate is. 

And yes, super frustrating. He's worked 10 hour days masked, since this started. Got vaccinated the minute he could. Planned this trip with only vaccinated people. Stayed in an Air B&B to avoid hotel lobbies. Mostly hiked and did almost all outdoor stuff, other than the Pez Factory and an arcade. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

33 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I think as long as under 12 isn't vaccinated, it won't matter how high the adult rate is. 

And yes, super frustrating. He's worked 10 hour days masked, since this started. Got vaccinated the minute he could. Planned this trip with only vaccinated people. Stayed in an Air B&B to avoid hotel lobbies. Mostly hiked and did almost all outdoor stuff, other than the Pez Factory and an arcade. 

I thought of you right away when she told me the news.  😞  

Edited by Kassia
  • Sad 1

My BIL and SIL and their kids all have covid right now.  Both adults were vaccinated a month or two ago, one with Moderna and one with Pfeizer.  SIL said it has been about like a bad head cold for them, but with the addition of loss of her senses of taste and smell for a day or two, but they are already back now.  BIL has also had some fatigue and so has been sleeping several hours longer each morning than he normally does.  Mostly they're just trying to figure out how to entertain the bored, disappointed kids that are quarantined at home instead of having their planned visit with Grandma before the school year starts back up.

Pretty good local friend who got Moderna in February just tested positive yesterday, Delta varient.  She's immunocompromised for a prior condition. She describes her symptoms as not-terrible flu-y.  Everyone else in her (fully vaxxed) household also tested but only she seems to have it.

Breakthrough cases are alarming, as is the surge in cases more broadly; and I'm getting grumpy that what looked in April like light at the end in the tunnel is more likely only a temporary reprieve. Hospitalizations in four states are back to Jan-Feb levels. But I'm trying to steady myself by repeating like a mantra, what 93% efficacy means, is that out of 100 million fully vaccinated people there will be 7 million breakthrough cases.  It's simultaneously alarming and exactly what math says is going to happen.

And the good news is, thus far this seems to be holding:

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

But I'm trying to steady myself by repeating like a mantra, what 93% efficacy means, is that out of 100 million fully vaccinated people there will be 7 million breakthrough cases.  It's simultaneously alarming and exactly what math says is going to happen.

Thanks for posting - I had forgotten about this.  

• Like 3

what 93% efficacy means, is that out of 100 million fully vaccinated people there will be 7 million breakthrough cases. 

That's not quite how they calculate it.  It's just the ratio of the cases in the control group compared to the cases in the vaccine group, which at 50% coverage would be closer to: for every 100 million infected, unvaccinated people, there will be 7 million breakthroughs.  That's going to result in a much smaller number of breakthroughs.I

I think our efficacy against delta will end up closer to Israel's numbers.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, ktgrok said:

It's so unfortunate. He really did do all things correctly and was in a pretty low risk area other than potentially tourists. 

Friends who were vaccinated with Pfizer the same week as us (2nd shots in mid-June) came down with covid. They masked and socially distanced, but traveled out of state. All symptomatic, bad cold symptoms. 

I have heard of six different families this week who have come down with covid, fully vaccinated. At least two previously had covid as well.

• Sad 8

I shared on the other thread but our friend, who had been vaccinated with J&J in March, died of covid about a week ago. He was in his mid 60’s. 

At the hospital that I work at, we have 28 people admitted, only 1 vaccinated. 

Edited by sassenach
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 15

21 hours ago, ktgrok said:

My county is such an interesting case study because we have very high vaccination rates and our health department puts out a ton of detailed data. 

eligible (12+) vaccination rate is 93.3%
total population rate 82%

current cases are being driven, by 3-fold, by the 19-49 age group. That same group has 94% (18-34) and 90% (35-49) vaccination rates. 

Case rate for vaccinated is 8.8 per 100k, unvaccinated is 27.8. 

So my interpretation is that Delta is quite good at finding the unvaccinated and that we probably have a lot of vaccinated, asymptomatic spreaders.  

Four coworkers came down sick last week (at a hospital). I’m back to N95ing all day long and not being unmasked around my coworkers. Also going back to weekly testing.

It’s all a big bummer because unlike everyone who lives in low vaccination areas and feels like that is the answer, I’m coming to grips with the fact that it’s not. So how do we live now? Do we just make peace with covid the way we always have with the flu? Flu filled our hospitals every year and killed the occasional young person (and frequently killed the compromised). Somehow we all kept living. I’ve lost my light at the end of the tunnel (vaccines) and now I’m just trying to sort my head out. The upside is that I think Delta would be devastating us if it weren’t for the vaccines. What we are experiencing now is quite manageable (8 hospitalizations in my county- I work in a different county, if you’re wondering about the 28 at my hospital that I posted above). 

Anyhow, those are all my thoughts in no particular order. This covid sh$t is getting old. 

Edited by sassenach
  • Like 12
  • Sad 6

52 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Has anyone seen cases or data about the very elderly and breakthrough covid?  

I am trying to get a handle on the level of risk ton my GFIL, who is 90 and was vaccinated with Pfizer pretty early on.

The most recent update from our state health department said most breakthrough cases who died were over 75 with underlying conditions and living in congregate care. So similar to the demographic most affected early in the pandemic.

Edited by Frances
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

My county is such an interesting case study because we have very high vaccination rates and our health department puts out a ton of detailed data. 

current cases are being driven, by 3-fold, by the 19-49 age group. That same group has 94% (18-34) and 90% (35-49) vaccination rates. 

So my interpretation is that Delta is quite good at finding the unvaccinated and that we probably have a lot of vaccinated, asymptomatic spreaders.  

Four coworkers came down sick last week (at a hospital). I’m back to N95ing all day long and not being unmasked around my coworkers. Also going back to weekly testing.

It’s all a big bummer because unlike everyone who lives in low vaccination areas and feels like that is the answer, I’m coming to grips with the fact that it’s not. So how do we live now? Do we just make peace with covid the way we always have with the flu?

I think so, yes. 

I think that’s probably what people will ultimately realize must be the case

And I also think we should also have readily easy  availability (as much OTC as possible) the medicines etc from many early treatment protocols 

Vitamin D level tests should be easy (and inexpensive)  to get ...

Etc 

Flu filled our hospitals every year and killed the occasional young person (and frequently killed the compromised). Somehow we all kept living. I’ve lost my light at the end of the tunnel (vaccines) and now I’m just trying to sort my head out.

I never saw it as a light at the end of the tunnel.

But I can understand how for people who do, this is a very hard stage of realization to get to. 

The upside is that I think Delta would be devastating us if it weren’t for the vaccines.

I am glad that it seems to be of some help in your area at the moment. I continue to have concerns about the effects of the vaccines themselves. I personally know more people who have had severe vaccine reactions than who have had severe Covid. 

What we are experiencing now is quite manageable (8 hospitalizations in my county- I work in a different county, if you’re wondering about the 28 at my hospital that I posted above). 

I am glad to hear that at least. 

Anyhow, those are all my thoughts in no particular order. This covid sh$t is getting old. 

Yes. It is. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I personally know more people who have had severe vaccine reactions than who have had severe Covid.

That’s fortunate for you. Unfortunately, 99% of those dying from Covid are unvaccinated, regardless of individual anecdotes. Fortunately, the vaccine is highly protective. Unfortunately, vaccine misinformation continues to influence people and cause thousands of horrible deaths that are easily preventable. 

eta: I want to add that I'm not saying this to be a jerk. I'm legitimately upset over continually seeing new videos from people who are hospitalized, or from the loved ones of those who have died, who are agonizing over the fact that they bought into the vaccine misinformation and didn't get vaccinated because of it. These people are begging others not to make the same mistake. These people were trying to do what they thought was the right decision, but they believed the people spreading anti vax stuff, and the results were deadly. It's heartbreaking to read and see these stories, and it makes me unable to just shrug it off when I see people continuing to spread these ideas. At this point, it's not just a harmless opinion.

Edited by KSera
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Friends who were vaccinated with Pfizer the same week as us (2nd shots in mid-June) came down with covid. They masked and socially distanced, but traveled out of state. All symptomatic, bad cold symptoms. 

I have heard of six different families this week who have come down with covid, fully vaccinated. At least two previously had covid as well.

do you know which vaccine they had?  Did they have o e or 2 doses?

I know two people, both women in their mid-late forties, who are fully vaccinated and have symptomatic covid.

One is a homeschool friend who I really only see on facebook these days but ds23 and her oldest son still hang out. In fact, he's gone there a few times over the last months to play video games after work. She's a fitness instructor and has held some in-person classes and she recently traveled. She said it's like having a very bad case of the flu and one that lasts longer than the flu. She had Pfizer and has been fully vaccinated since April

The other is one of dh's adult nieces who lives about an hour from us. She too traveled recently. I don't know which vaccine she had but she's been fully vaxxed for several months. She too said it's like having an awful case of the flu. She also said she's sure if she wasn't vaccinated she'd be in the hospital. 

I'm sure both women felt safe because they were vaccinated. Both thought they were traveling safely and with people they thought were safe. 

Finally, not a case of knowing someone vaccinated who has covid, but dss is a firemedic with our county fire department. He said they're transporting more and more people to the hospital each day - it's back up to peak times. One of the first questions they ask the person or their family member is whether or not they're vaccinated. He works in one of the busier stations and said everyone they've had to transport so far is unvaccinated. 

4 hours ago, sassenach said:

It’s all a big bummer because unlike everyone who lives in low vaccination areas and feels like that is the answer, I’m coming to grips with the fact that it’s not. So how do we live now? Do we just make peace with covid the way we always have with the flu? Flu filled our hospitals every year and killed the occasional young person (and frequently killed the compromised). Somehow we all kept living. I’ve lost my light at the end of the tunnel (vaccines) and now I’m just trying to sort my head out. The upside is that I think Delta would be devastating us if it weren’t for the vaccines. What we are experiencing now is quite manageable (8 hospitalizations in my county- I work in a different county, if you’re wondering about the 28 at my hospital that I posted above). 

If you look at the morbidity numbers from influenza, they are so much lower. I am hoping covid is following the usual novel virus cycle and this is the bad version (like influenza did year 2) and that soon it will continue to modify into milder variants. The R0 factor of Delta is just scary though.

I also find it super reassuring that in my circle of people who have gotten it, none have been hospitalized despite the risk factors pooled among them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I know two people, both women in their mid-late forties, who are fully vaccinated and have symptomatic covid.

One is a homeschool friend who I really only see on facebook these days but ds23 and her oldest son still hang out. In fact, he's gone there a few times over the last months to play video games after work. She's a fitness instructor and has held some in-person classes and she recently traveled. She said it's like having a very bad case of the flu and one that lasts longer than the flu. She had Pfizer and has been fully vaccinated since April

The other is one of dh's adult nieces who lives about an hour from us. She too traveled recently. I don't know which vaccine she had but she's been fully vaxxed for several months. She too said it's like having an awful case of the flu. She also said she's sure if she wasn't vaccinated she'd be in the hospital. 

I'm sure both women felt safe because they were vaccinated. Both thought they were traveling safely and with people they thought were safe. 

Finally, not a case of knowing someone vaccinated who has covid, but dss is a firemedic with our county fire department. He said they're transporting more and more people to the hospital each day - it's back up to peak times. One of the first questions they ask the person or their family member is whether or not they're vaccinated. He works in one of the busier stations and said everyone they've had to transport so far is unvaccinated. 

The travel correlation is interesting - DS22 was also traveling. I'm wondering if it is planes in particular that are a problem, or if it is maybe the stress of travel that is lowering immune system? I mean, heck, DS22 has been here in Florida, which is now at critical levels, and not caught it but went to upstate New York with positivity under 2% and caught it. Crazy!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

The travel correlation is interesting - DS22 was also traveling. I'm wondering if it is planes in particular that are a problem, or if it is maybe the stress of travel that is lowering immune system? I mean, heck, DS22 has been here in Florida, which is now at critical levels, and not caught it but went to upstate New York with positivity under 2% and caught it. Crazy!

But he was also in Florida airports.  I would think that Florida airports would be pretty germy places right now (no offense!)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, lynn said:

do you know which vaccine they had?  Did they have o e or 2 doses?

Please literally re-read your quote of my post. I said they were vaccinated with Pfizer, with second doses in mid-June. 🙂 

The other families were also all fully vaccinated. I don’t know that they all masked consistently, I am pretty sure one didn’t. They were also sicker—so I wonder if they had higher viral loads—but they were also older so who knows.