Menu

Dr. Hive. My back suddenly hurts UPDATE: pee strip positive for leukocytes

Ginevra

How would I know if I had a kidney stone? Or something else? 

There was nothing wrong with my back at all today. I haven’t done anything unusual that would pull a muscle. But my right side/back just started feeling like a pulled muscle a couple hours ago. I have no symptoms to suggest a UTI or kidney infection. I don’t have a fever or anything else apparently wrong with me. 

What is the deal? 

Edited by Quill

So, when I had a kidney stone, the tip off was that the pain was really, really bad.  Like transition in labor bad.  With vomiting.  It in no way felt like a pulled muscle.  It was actually unmistakable enough that I immediately knew what it was, despite never having had one before.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Rub your fingers along your back, especially close to your spine.  If it's regular low back pain from sciatica or tight hip muscles (from sitting too much), there will be a tender spot that may be extremely painful, often close to your spine.  If it's your kidneys you won't make the pain worse no matter where you press.

If it's your hips you can put the flat part of the bottom of your foot up on a high surface and lean forward, preferably until your shoulder is below your raised knee.  Then do the other side.

If it's sciatica you can do a few stretches (there are dozens online, but these are the two most effective for me):

1. Lean back over your kitchen sink.  Start by backing up to your sink, stand up straight with feet about shoulder width apart.  Back up until your butt has a bit of pressure on the front of your sink, but you're still standing up straight. Then, while continuing to stand up straight, lean back slightly over your sink.  It's very subtle, but you're stretching the muscles along the front of your spine that don't get properly stretched when you spend too much time sitting.  If this is the problem you'll feel some slight relief almost immediately.
  2. For the second, back up to a chair or sofa. Bend one knee behind you up into almost a quadriceps stretch, but instead of grabbing your ankle and pulling, instead lean forward and scoot that knee back on the seat of the couch until your knee is resting in the place you would sit.  Relax your leg up, and lean forward into the stretch as if you are doing the forward splits.  Then do the other side.

ETA:  I've had doctors threaten to hospitalize me for kidney infections twice, but I didn't feel ill so they didn't.  I have a high pain tolerance, but never did an infection get as bad as labor transition for me.  It just felt like a backache.  Only pushing on the area and discovering it was muscular (after my doctor showed me how) made it obvious to me.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just to throw another idea in there, I have IBS and sometimes that manifests as back pain.  You might think about how your digestive system is rolling the past couple days or if you have eaten or done anything unusual that might throw that system off.  I get the sat or slept weird back aches too at time, sometimes both in combo.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Just to throw another idea in there, I have IBS and sometimes that manifests as back pain.  You might think about how your digestive system is rolling the past couple days or if you have eaten or done anything unusual that might throw that system off.  I get the sat or slept weird back aches too at time, sometimes both in combo.  

I do have IBS, so that’s not completely out there for explanation. 

Go pee in a cup ASAP. I almost died from a kidney infection in my 20s that had zero typical UTI symptoms. I suddenly had a backache for no reason, then started to feel generally bad. Went to urgent care after work, they told me to go straight to the ER (no home for pajamas, ER!) and the ER put me in ICU. 

It was a severe kidney infection, and I had zero reasons to think I even had a UTI. I had no fever that day, I think it developed as we headed to urgent care but possibly not till we headed to the hospital. I went from a work meeting to the ICU very, very quickly. 

• Sad 10

I just remembered that you can buy OTC UTI infection strips at the drugstore. You can pee on a strip before you pee in a cup, lol. 

If you are still awake, send someone to the 24-hour drugstore for you. I would not want to wait hours to know if I had an infection, it's better to get things rolling as soon as you can. Doctors have call services for a reason. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, katilac said:

Go pee in a cup ASAP. I almost died from a kidney infection in my 20s that had zero typical UTI symptoms. I suddenly had a backache for no reason, then started to feel generally bad. Went to urgent care after work, they told me to go straight to the ER (no home for pajamas, ER!) and the ER put me in ICU. 

It was a severe kidney infection, and I had zero reasons to think I even had a UTI. I had no fever that day, I think it developed as we headed to urgent care but possibly not till we headed to the hospital. I went from a work meeting to the ICU very, very quickly. 

I’m so sorry that happened to you. My sister did actually die from a kidney infection, so I am hyper-alert to that possibility. She did have symptoms, though; she thought she was coming down with the flu. 

I think I may still have pee strips lying about here. My back hurts less this morning, but the pee strips are a good idea. 

• Sad 14

• Ginevra changed the title to Dr. Hive. My back suddenly hurts UPDATE: pee strip positive for leukocytes
4 minutes ago, Kassia said:

@Quill glad you are being seen right away.  Please update when you can.

Yup. Sitting in the socially-distanced and masked waiting room right now. Can I just say, for this setting, I hope masking never goes away. All the times I have been sitting here with some dreadfully ill person feet away from me, coughing their heads off...I can absolutely get on board with these precautions as permanent  policy here. 

• Like 21
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I hope you don’t have to wait for very long!!!

Me too because honestly, I am beginning to feel rather poorly. 

• Sad 6

4 minutes ago, Quill said:

Me too because honestly, I am beginning to feel rather poorly. 

It’s good that you are there. Hopefully the doctor will be good — and thorough! 

Did you drink anything so you’ll be able to pee in the cup? (I remember stopping in the bathroom right before I left for a gyn appointment once, and I was halfway through and thought, NOOOOOOO!!! So I drank some water in the car on the way to the doctor’s office and all was well. 🙂)

Edited by Catwoman
  • Haha 2

Just now, Catwoman said:

It’s good that you are there. Hopefully the doctor will be good — and thorough! 

Did you drink anything so you’ll be able to pee in the cup? (I remember stopping in the bathroom right before I left for a gyn appointment once, and I was halfway through and thought, NOOOOOOO!!! So I drank some water in the car on the way to the doctor’s office and all was well. 🤪)

I have a water bottle with me and I will be able. The bigger concern in my mind was that I will need some relief before they see me. 

33 minutes ago, Quill said:

I have a water bottle with me and I will be able. The bigger concern in my mind was that I will need some relief before they see me. 

If you need to pee before they see you, ask the front desk if you can do the cup then.  Usually they're pretty accommodating about that.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Hoping for a good update soon!

Definitely a kidney infection. Prescribing me Cipro and pyridium. Very annoyed that I’m wasting my weekend in this nonsense. Heh. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

1 minute ago, Quill said:

Definitely a kidney infection. Prescribing me Cipro and pyridium. Very annoyed that I’m wasting my weekend in this nonsense. Heh. 

I'm glad you got it checked out and got a presciption! Hopefully it kicks in quickly and you feel better soon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Quill said:

Wow, I'm so glad you went in and are being treated already.  Feel better soon.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pen said:

Quill, I hope your back gets better too - and kidneys too if it’s that!!! Or whatever it is May it get better!

@Catwoman I sent you some things on PM thread 

Thanks, Pen -- I'll go look now!

Edited to add:  Thank you for the links to the articles, video, and studies. I will definitely look at them as soon as I have some uninterrupted time. I really appreciate it that you are thinking of my dh. It's very kind of you!!!

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Quill said:

glad you know and are getting treated!

sounds like those per strips would be good to have in home first aid kit

• Like 7

Quill, I am glad ypu are diagnosed and getting meds. Cipro is really tough stuff! You know to take probiotics as well? Take at a different time than the antibiotic. I would strongly recommend Florator (s boulardii) once a day and another one like Align once a day (but not at the same time). Also consider collagen supplements and bone broth. Those should help your gut stay in better shape while you are blasting the infection with Cipro.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pen said:

glad you know and are getting treated!

sounds like those per strips would be good to have in home first aid kit

I was thinking the same thing! 

I had them once, but I’m sure they expired a long time ago. I just added them to my list of things I need to order.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Quill, I am glad ypu are diagnosed and getting meds. Cipro is really tough stuff! You know to take probiotics as well? Take at a different time than the antibiotic. I would strongly recommend Florator (s boulardii) once a day and another one like Align once a day (but not at the same time). Also consider collagen supplements and bone broth. Those should help your gut stay in better shape while you are blasting the infection with Cipro.

Thanks for the tips. I take a probiotic all the time ordinarily. But I may look at Florator and collagen too

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Catwoman said:

I was thinking the same thing! 

I had them once, but I’m sure they expired a long time ago. I just added them to my list of things I need to order.

I think I had some when my MIL was staying here. I think they were expired and I threw them away, but I got more this morning. 

• Like 2

Just now, Quill said:

Thanks for the tips. I take a probiotic all the time ordinarily. But I may look at Florator and collagen too

Florastor is specifically to guard against c diff, an infection that is often directly caused by antibiotic use.

Collagen is just super-helpful for any digestive issues. I have experienced good results since my doctor prescribed it for ongoing gut dysfunction following a c diff infection and sepsis.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Florastor is specifically to guard against c diff, an infection that is often directly caused by antibiotic use.

Collagen is just super-helpful for any digestive issues. I have experienced good results since my doctor prescribed it for ongoing gut dysfunction following a c diff infection and sepsis.

Not trying to hijack the thread (OR AM I??? 😉 ) but what brand of collagen do you use?

I have been buying Vital Proteins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quill said:

Yup. Sitting in the socially-distanced and masked waiting room right now. Can I just say, for this setting, I hope masking never goes away. All the times I have been sitting here with some dreadfully ill person feet away from me, coughing their heads off...I can absolutely get on board with these precautions as permanent  policy here. 

I agree in medical places.  I think they are a really good idea.  Because that is where sick people are supposed to go, even if they are staying home from stores, work, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I am sorry, too.  I should have written this in my earlier post - I've been thinking about her ever since I read your post, @Quill.  

Thank you. It’s almost the anniversary of her death - June 18th. She was 42 years old. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 20

3 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Not trying to hijack the thread (OR AM I??? 😉 ) but what brand of collagen do you use?

I have been buying Vital Proteins.

I have been using Vital Proteins. That was the brand recommended by my doctor. He recently switched to a different brand, but I am not sure why and I have not yet tried it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Quill, I’m so sorry about your sister.  My heart hurts for you.

Please take good care of yourself.  If things don’t improve, or if they get worse, head to the ER.  Did they tell you that if you vomit, it’s straight to the ER?  Don’t stop, don’t wonder, just go.  Cipro should do the trick, but always good to know.

Feel better!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t believe D-Mannose works for kidney infections (someone can correct me if I’m wrong), but it does work for UTIs. Whenever anyone posts about UTIs, I feel a need to do my pitch for D-mannose: 

I used to get UTIs once every year or two and I hated them with the heat of a 1000 burning suns.

Someone here on the hive told me about D-Mannose, and that it can prevent UTIs and cure an active infection.  So, I either take some D-Mannose in the evenings with a little bit of water (my UTIs always developed overnight) or I drink a ton of water without the D-Mannose before bed and just deal with getting up twice in the night to empty out. I fall back asleep easily—I wouldn’t recommend drinking lots of water before bed to someone who can’t fall back asleep.

Haven’t had an infection in years.

Just throwing this out there for anyone who deals with UTIs a lot. It works as long as the infection was caused by e. coli and 90% of the time, UTIs are coasd by e. coli.

Here’s a link to D-Mannose on Amazon. The comments explain how to use it as a preventative measure and how to use it to clear up an infection. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JWKDF6A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Garga
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Spryte said:

Quill, I’m so sorry about your sister.  My heart hurts for you.

Please take good care of yourself.  If things don’t improve, or if they get worse, head to the ER.  Did they tell you that if you vomit, it’s straight to the ER?  Don’t stop, don’t wonder, just go.  Cipro should do the trick, but always good to know.

Feel better!

They didnt tell me that but I know that from my sister. If I vomit, I am going straight to the ER. 

I was planning to call my mom this weekend but I dont think I can tell her I have a kidney infection so close to the anniversary of my sister’s death. She will be plagued with worry and then, convinced that the worry is God preparing her to lose me too. 

• Sad 14

Just now, Quill said:

They didnt tell me that but I know that from my sister. If I vomit, I am going straight to the ER. 

I was planning to call my mom this weekend but I dont think I can tell her I have a kidney infection so close to the anniversary of my sister’s death. She will be plagued with worry and then, convinced that the worry is God preparing her to lose me too. 

I agree, don't tell her.  Only if you get worse and end up hospitalized.

• Like 3