Menu

Have you had COVID yourself?

Not_a_Number

At this point, the "personal experiences" thread is really not as helpful as it might be, since it has a lot of stories from people who don't know the people they are talking about very well. So that means that people can't report anything for certain except for hospitalizations and deaths, since I would guess people you know tangentially wouldn't tell you if they had long COVID or other weird after-effects. 

So, I want to narrow my data-collecting down to just the members of this forum. Have you had COVID? (You can list if you were asymptomatic but had a positive test, either antibody or PCR.) What was the initial sickness like for you? Were there after-effects, and how long did they last? 

I hope you don't find this ghoulish; just trying to gather data for decisions going forward. If this doesn't work, I'll start a thread for people and their IMMEDIATE families, but I'm curious how many people I'll get like this. 

I had it in November. Caught if from college age son who came for a couple days without realizing he had been exposed (and had it). There were 8 of us living at home when he came and only 2 of us caught it. Myself and my 6 year old. We PCR tested everyone at 5 days post exposure.  He caught it at a small family event (less than 10 people). All the adults present caught it and one 15 year old.   No idea who had it first as everyone mostly got sick on the same day. He came home in between getting it and getting sick.   He shared a room and a bed with two younger brothers who did not get it from him.  I shared a bed with my husband between sample taking and results.  My husband was re tested and he didn't get it.  Looking back I was symptomatic with what i now "fondly" call my covid headache but we didn't realize it at the time so didn't isolate.  We isolated after together (myself and the 6 year old) and no one else in the house got it. 

6 year old had at most a mild fever one night and a headache.  I had the headache, fever(low), cough, loss of taste and smell, horrible fatigue.  I have asthma but took my inhaler and did not have any issues. Cough only lasted 2 days.  O2 level normal the entire time.  

I have long covid.   Seeing some improvement with massive supplementation and tons of sleep.   I'm finally not having headaches anymore (knock on wood!) But the fatigue and brain fog is horrible.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

Well, I don't know if you want to hear my story because I was never tested, but I think I had it in December 2019.  Before it all began.

My family went to Las Vegas for a conference my husband attended.  Stayed a few days. On the way home we swung by Legoland for one day. 

A few days later my son was sick with what I thought was a 24 hour virus.  Because it lasted 24 hours.  A few days after that I was sick.  Slept a LOT!  Like 18 hours a day.  I was down by 3 pm, but up in the mornings to teach.  Had a HUGE headache.  Even the lights bothered me.  This started on a Monday, but I felt better by Friday.  Still had my headache and decided to finally take an aspirin for it friday night.  At least I was not sleeping that day.  Felt better on Saturday.  I just thought I was tired.  LOL  

Anyhow, my husband is always congested, so this is why we didn't notice anything with him.  But in hindsight, in mid-January 2020, he told me he was tired and something wasn't right.  And for him to confess that, that meant a lot.  He's like never sick.  My youngest daughter caught a fever (104.5) as well.  (She had a little cough as well.  She was sick on a sunday and better by wednesday.  The fever only last for a day.  But no one in my family ever had that high of a temp.)  I didn't get much sleep that night, and if it weren't for that I would never have heard my husband's breathing problems.  He would stop breathing after every third breath.  Then gasp for air in the next breath.  I told him this the next day, so he was going to see a doctor.  This is probably why he was so tired.  Not breathing right for over a month.  As it turns out my husband does not have a breathing problem.  In fact since we stay in, he's hardly congested anymore and doesn't snore anymore.  🙂 

My other daughter was never sick.

Anyhow, at this point Covid was not well known.  So, we didn't think anything of it.  Was it covid?  Who knows.  It could be any virus.  But I've never been that sick before.  The timing is just a coincidence.  The last time I had the flu was 25 years ago. 

We don't have any long lasting effects that we know of. 

This might not count to you-  We had it in late December2019/early January 2020.  I was part of a group who had members who had traveled to China who came back sick. We all got it.  Most of the group was diagnosed with atypical pneumonia.  For DH-  it was a nasty illness that wasn’t like a cold nor the flu.  The worst part for him was the exhaustion that counted for a bit after he was well.  For me-  it was an exhausting weird illness that took about three-four weeks to feel back to normal. I ended up antibiotics for a sinus infection during it. For my kids- it was like a weird cold that left them very tired. No one in my house has any lingering issues from having it.

We did have antibody testing and we have the antibodies. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 2

Yes, I've had Covid. Confirmed positive test and illness. I have no special health problems. I'm a healthy weight, I weight train and walk between 7 and 10 miles a day.

It was bad. I've never been that sick before in my life.

Fever, fatigue, cough, body aches, brain fog, sore throat, loss of taste and smell

The fatigue was the worst and it lasted for almost 3 weeks.

The other symptoms were manageable after 7 to 10 days, but the fatigue was terrible.

Dh had pretty much the same experience, except he ended up with pneumonia.

Kids all had it but no positive tests. 

19 yo was sick for about 3-4 days

15 yo was sick for about 2-3 days.

13 yo was sick for about 2 days.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Sad 4

Just now, fairfarmhand said:

Yes, I've had Covid. Confirmed positive test and illness. I have no special health problems. I'm a healthy weight, I weight train and walk between 7 and 10 miles a day.

It was bad. I've never been that sick before in my life.

Fever, fatigue, cough, body aches, brain fog, sore throat, loss of taste and smell

The fatigue was the worst and it lasted for almost 3 weeks.

The other symptoms were manageable after 7 to 10 days, but the fatigue was terrible.

I don't think I realized your fatigue lasted that long! I remember that you had it, of course. 

Are you back to normal? 

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

I don't think I realized your fatigue lasted that long! I remember that you had it, of course. 

Are you back to normal? 

Yes, totally back to normal now. Though my 19 yo has a messed up sense of taste and smell still. We were sick during December,

• Sad 2

I tested positive on October 1. That was a Thursday. On Tuesday or Wednesday, I had diarrhea, but thought it was because of a junkfest I had eaten. Wednesday night I had a low grade temp. I had no thought that it was Covid because I thought I had been so careful. Thursday at work, I started coughing-I went and got a fast test on the way home and it was positive.

About a week later, I got a lot worse, coughing, fever higher, and short of breath. Went back to ER and had pneumonia. I was so short of breath for the next several days. When I went back to work on October 21, I was still kind of weak, but a lot better. 

Even now, when I take a deep breath, I still feel something in my lungs.

• Sad 5

I strongly suspect that my 11 year old had it in late Jan 2019. We came back from a big swim meet and she started complaining of a headache, then her fever started. For a full week, she was either crying or asleep. Her fever lasted all week, even with cycling ibuprofen and Tylenol. Looking back, I should have taken her to the doctor, but I was already dealing with undiagnosed severe anemia and pulmonary embolisms and I thought, “The doctor isn’t going to be able to do any more than this for a virus.” 

After a week, when her fever broke, she wanted to go back to swim practice. Her coach said that she had to be back to eating 3 meals a day, and she had to be able to walk from room to room without getting out of breath. It took her 3 more weeks to meet those requirements and it took her a full year after that illness to get back to making the same swim times she  had before she got sick.  She also experienced an increase in anxiety and depression afterwards. 

So, maybe it was COVID, maybe not, but it was the worse illness any of my kids have ever had. 

1 minute ago, Amy Gen said:

I strongly suspect that my 11 year old had it in late Jan 2019. We came back from a big swim meet and she started complaining of a headache, then her fever started. For a full week, she was either crying or asleep. Her fever lasted all week, even with cycling ibuprofen and Tylenol. Looking back, I should have taken her to the doctor, but I was already dealing with undiagnosed severe anemia and pulmonary embolisms and I thought, “The doctor isn’t going to be able to do any more than this for a virus.” 

After a week, when her fever broke, she wanted to go back to swim practice. Her coach said that she had to be back to eating 3 meals a day, and she had to be able to walk from room to room without getting out of breath. It took her 3 more weeks to meet those requirements and it took her a full year after that illness to get back to making the same swim times she  had before she got sick.  She also experienced an increase in anxiety and depression afterwards. 

So, maybe it was COVID, maybe not, but it was the worse illness any of my kids have ever had. 

You mean 2020 or 2019?

In early February I had a scratchy throat and a slightly elevated temperature, I went for a rapid test and was telling the nurse I felt silly for coming in when it came back positive. I had diarrhea the day before (assumed it was related to food I had eaten). After testing positive I had diminished loss of smell and taste for a total of 3 days (kind of like when you have a cold), and complete loss for a little over a day. I was pretty tired too, I couldn’t get though the day without a nap. I had about 3-5 total days of any symptoms, I also have no idea how I got it. 

My entire family had a PCR test when my quarantine was over, one son (13) was positive but asymptomatic. We isolated him from the rest of the family. Everyone in our family had a negative PCR test 5 days after last exposure to him and again when his quarantine was over.  He has never had any symptoms. What was surprising  was when that son tested positive, all the other family members were showing potential Covid symptoms and had spent significant time with me, but they were negative. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lulalu said:

Dh, ds, and I had it March 2020. 

Dh had long term loss of taste and smell and fatigue. (Months)

I never lost taste or smell but had fatigue for about a month. And had difficulty breathing. 

Ds had headache and fatigue. 

How long did it take everyone to get back to normal? 

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

How long did it take everyone to get back to normal? 

Ds was only a week. 

Dh has underlying health issues so he took a good 2 months before he was feeling like he had energy. 

I also was 3ish months before full energy. 

BUT- the energy part is hard to determine because we were also in complete lockdowns. So really I don't know if it was also a lack of sunlight from not being outside at all for 16 weeks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Ugh. I get headaches a lot, and I sympathize. I hate them. 

Thanks. I did not get regular headaches before having covid.  I know so many people who suffer from them but I really only got them if I was severely sleep deprived.  Not even with my menstrual cycle.  

Speaking of which, I am having issues with that too which is a common issue with long haulers. 🙄

23 hours ago, busymama7 said:

Thanks. I did not get regular headaches before having covid.  I know so many people who suffer from them but I really only got them if I was severely sleep deprived.  Not even with my menstrual cycle.  

Speaking of which, I am having issues with that too which is a common issue with long haulers. 🙄

Ugh. I didn't know that 😞 . How does the menstrual cycle thing manifest, if you don't mind me asking? 😞 

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Ugh. I didn't know that 😞 . How does the menstrual cycle thing manifest, if you don't mind me asking? 😞 

Early/late cycles. Long cycles. Skipped cycles. It can be anything really.  The posts are frequent on the long haulers board.  Women wondering if it is normal/common. Apparently common since it gets asked all the time and lots of women reply that it's happening to them too.   I thought I was ok as I don't have cycles anymore due to taking bioidentical progesterone And being peri-menopausal(ugh so hard to spell too) But I had one this week for the first time in years. And I had my blood work done last week and my progesterone levels are half of what they were last time despite continuing to take mine as normal. So something is for sure gong on. Waiting for my doctor to call with results so I can ask him what's he's seen and what the plan is. 

• Sad 2

I don’t want to derail the thread to much but the podcast I listen to mentioned that the blood clot with Astra Zeneca thing is occurring in women aged in their 20s and 30s - who can also have blood clots from the pill etc - May of course all be completely coincidental anyway just wondering if there’s any feasible connection with the post covid weird cycles.  

A second thought is some people seem to be developing insulin issues and diabetes post Covid.  PCOS seems to involve insulin issues as well and also causes out of whack cycles.  Any chance women are developing pcos post Covid somehow?  

42 minutes ago, kand said:

Since so far it doesn’t seem the rate of blood clots is higher than background levels, I wonder if the women who have had them are on bcp and they are just the “usual” bcp blood clots that don’t normally get any attention. I would guess that would be easy information to get. They’re either on bcp or they’re not. 

I believe the European scientists looking into it do believe it’s linked and that they have worked out the mechanism causing it.  But they aren’t overly concerned because now they know they give people the information of what to look out for and it’s treatable.  And it’s about 1/40,000 so well less than the serious outcomes for COVID

https://www.wsj.com/articles/scientists-say-they-found-cause-of-blood-clotting-linked-to-astrazeneca-vaccine-11616169108

This article may be paywalled for you but there is some detail there.  

From what I heard explained the other day the rate is not higher than the background rate but it is higher than the background rate in the specific subgroup of population they’re occurring in.

edited to add a non paywalled but less detailed article 

https://m.dw.com/en/astrazeneca-german-team-discovers-thrombosis-trigger/a-56925550

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

It is believed that I had it in Feb 2020.

A coworker had traveled internationally and 7 of us ended up sick.  

I had a terrible cough that was not touched by inhalers, steroids or nebulizer or any rx cough med. I had a lot of trouble breathing, esp when sleeping.   I don't know if I had a loss's of taste or smell as that wasn't on the radar.

At urgent care they did an x ray and I had the classic covid pneumonia....but no one knew that yet so they called it atypical pneumonia with scar tissue in my lungs from a surgery 45 years earlier.

The cough took a long time to get better.  My doctor repeated the chest x ray 6-8 weeks later as she didn't like the looks of it.....and the "scar tissue" was completely gone.   So it never was scar tissue.

I did have weird female issues to where I had bleeding that wouldn't stop (18 months after my last cycle) and ended up having ultrasound and biopsy done .  Never thought of it as related but it happened 2 months after I was sick.

To be honest though, while all doctors feel I had covid, my antibody test was negative....but was drawn outside of the window of reliability for the test.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

To be honest though, while all doctors feel I had covid, my antibody test was negative....but was drawn outside of the window of reliability for the test.

I think if your doctors think you had it, we may as well go with that. We do know that antibodies fade. 

Thanks for sharing your experiences. 

Is the fact that the "scar tissue" was gone normal for COVID pneumonia? I haven't been following, so I don't know. 

I had a terrible cough that was not touched by inhalers, steroids or nebulizer or any rx cough med. I had a lot of trouble breathing, esp when sleeping.   I don't know if I had a loss's of taste or smell as that wasn't on the radar.

I think if you had lost your smell or taste completely, you would have noticed. It is a pretty strange feeling. I first noticed it drinking a glass of cool water, I noticed the sensation but no flavor. I could tell if foods were sweet or spicy, but couldn’t actually taste the flavors. Not everyone who gets Covid loses their taste or smell. For me it was an indication that my rapid test was accurate. 

My doctor had one patient who instead of losing taste, developed extreme taste. It was apparently so intense that eating was painful. 

• Sad 3

51 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I think if your doctors think you had it, we may as well go with that. We do know that antibodies fade. 

Thanks for sharing your experiences. 

Is the fact that the "scar tissue" was gone normal for COVID pneumonia? I haven't been following, so I don't know. 

The "scar tissue" that they saw on the x ray was the covid pneumonia....not scar tissue.   The radiologist said it looked "funny" and since x rays of covid pneumonia were not well known at that point, he decided to call it scar tissue from my surgery and chest tube 45+ years earlier.   

Since that was totally gone on my follow up x-ray , it obviously wasn't true scar tissue.

The thing I remember from when I was sick was the gurgling/whistling in my airway, esp. when I tried to sleep.  My peeks flows were down at about 50% for days.    For some reason I never thought to check my o2 with the oximeter when I was laying down.....again, this was before covid was really known.

• Like 2

The "scar tissue" that they saw on the x ray was the covid pneumonia....not scar tissue.   The radiologist said it looked "funny" and since x rays of covid pneumonia were not well known at that point, he decided to call it scar tissue from my surgery and chest tube 45+ years earlier. 

Ah, OK. I don't actually know what the COVID pneumonia is... I've heard about the specific looks of the X-ray, but I guess I don't know what causes it!! 

Since that was totally gone on my follow up x-ray , it obviously wasn't true scar tissue.

Clearly! 

The thing I remember from when I was sick was the gurgling/whistling in my airway, esp. when I tried to sleep.  My peeks flows were down at about 50% for days.    For some reason I never thought to check my o2 with the oximeter when I was laying down.....again, this was before covid was really known.

That sounds really unpleasant 😞 . 

Maybe, MDd had a slightly elevated temp and sore throat.  I have a slightly scratchy throat and some mild congestion.  We both tested negative but DH tested positive with no symptoms.  I am severally obese, DH is obese with asthma. We both have had our first shot but not our second.  

I had it one year ago in March (not fun way to spend spring break).  Testing was new and NOT accurate at that time.

Mine came on suddenly one afternoon:

Violent chills  (felt fine one minute then suddenly started shaking-- this was my first symptom)

BAD headache-- located at very top of head.

Fever-- up to 102F off an on for first week

Sore throat

Upset Tummy-- felt like my tummy was full of glass shards!!

Diarrhea-- not pleasant

Starting 2nd week I have had a mild cough EVERY SINGLE DAY for the past year-- Dr thinks I had some minor lung damage that he wants to check out AFTER this is all over-- nothing they can do so no rush but wants to know how bad it is.

DD who lives with us started similar symptoms a day after mine started.  DH started the week after mine.

--I'm fully vaccinated now.  I do NOT want a repeat or worse!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Wondering how @Quill’s husband is doing. Hope all is well and things are improving. 

3 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I've been wondering that! I hope Quill chimes in. 

He’s doing pretty good. His quarantine officially ends today - I am not sure yet whether he intends to come up to our bedroom tonight or spend one more night downstairs. My guess is he won’t stay down there tonight. 

He’s been outdoors pretty much all day today. I think the fresh air is a big benefit. 

In other news, MD just opened up all their vax appointments to anyone over 16. I also heard on the news that Giant is asking for people to vaccinate as they have more doses than people with appointments. (I don’t know if it is just true in MD or other states with Giant stores.) My DS21 was able to get an appointment today. He got his first shot but - and this is a common occurrence with him - he fainted. Fortunately his gf was there attending to him but it was not ideal. I have told him several times that, as a fainter myself, there are specific strategies to help mitigate it, but either he isn’t doing the things or they aren’t working. 

The law clerk where I work also got his first vax yesterday. I am so pleased with how the vaccination offerings are really ramping up. 

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

I’m sorry. Poor guy. I’m a fainter, too. My first shot is on Tuesday. It’s drive through, I think. So glad to hear your husband is okay.

Well I’ll give you the advice I give him. Be sure you are well-fed. Don’t talk in your head about getting a shot. If necessary, do very logical and boring things with your mind, like calculating percentages or figuring out how many days it is until next Tuesday. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kand said:

How long after his shot did your dh get it?

He tested positive about two weeks after getting his shot.  No idea of when he picked it up.  He is completely asymptomatic.  We only got tested to rule it out because we were sure MDD was having a strep flair - she is a carrier.  The rest of us tested negative.

1 minute ago, rebcoola said:

He tested positive about two weeks after getting his shot.  No idea of when he picked it up.  He is completely asymptomatic.  We only got tested to rule it out because we were sure MDD was having a strep flair - she is a carrier.  The rest of us tested negative.

Was it rapid or pcr testing?

8 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Was it rapid or pcr testing?

PCR.  No one doubts he is positive.  Some doubt that it is a new/current infection.  He has a couple of times when we thought he was exposed but the contact tracers said no it didn't count for one reason or another.  It doesn't really matter we are all quarantined together.  He was isolating in the second master but than they told us we would still be considered in contact since it's the same HVAC system.  So he is free on Friday and than the rest of us will quarantine for another week to 10 days.

• Like 1

I just had it a couple of weeks ago. I think I picked it up at the ER with a friend. I had a positive test about a week later, but the symptoms--as mild as they are--started at Day 5 after the ER visit. Sniffles, partial loss of taste and almost complete loss of smell that are, thankfully, coming back (smelling is my super power). I did not have a fever, body aches or breathing issues. My home is rapidly approaching herd immunity, as one of my exchange students had it in January (before he lived here full-time, but he quarantined here); the other I think had it about a month ago (but I did not get him a test); my husband has symptoms now, including pneumonia, chills and fever, but he tested negative; my actual son is the last man standing. Ironically, my husband is the only one of us with any concerning symptoms, and he's negative. Go figure.

The only thing I have done that might have contributed to my mild symptoms is take Vitamin D supplements, which I started in January after my very heavy exposure. I also have attended a lot of high school baseball games for more sun exposure. The other confirmed positive, my then-bonus exchange student was 15 at the time, but he plays baseball year-around and is also not hurting for sun exposure. I am glad to have it over with.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, plansrme said:

I just had it a couple of weeks ago. I think I picked it up at the ER with a friend. I had a positive test about a week later, but the symptoms--as mild as they are--started at Day 5 after the ER visit. Sniffles, partial loss of taste and almost complete loss of smell that are, thankfully, coming back (smelling is my super power). I did not have a fever, body aches or breathing issues. My home is rapidly approaching herd immunity, as one of my exchange students had it in January (before he lived here full-time, but he quarantined here); the other I think had it about a month ago (but I did not get him a test); my husband has symptoms now, including pneumonia, chills and fever, but he tested negative; my actual son is the last man standing. Ironically, my husband is the only one of us with any concerning symptoms, and he's negative. Go figure.

The only thing I have done that might have contributed to my mild symptoms is take Vitamin D supplements, which I started in January after my very heavy exposure. I also have attended a lot of high school baseball games for more sun exposure. The other confirmed positive, my then-bonus exchange student was 15 at the time, but he plays baseball year-around and is also not hurting for sun exposure. I am glad to have it over with.

Not to be a Debbie Downer...but previous exposure does not provide immunity to some of the new strains. I know the P1 strain in particular seems to easily infect those who previously had Covid - I think it was 25-60% of people who already had Covid were susceptible to the P1 strain. So as exhausting as it is, please don't let your guard down. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer...but previous exposure does not provide immunity to some of the new strains. I know the P1 strain in particular seems to easily infect those who previously had Covid - I think it was 25-60% of people who already had Covid were susceptible to the P1 strain. So as exhausting as it is, please don't let your guard down. 

Well, I've never actually had my guard UP, so no worries there. 

• Like 2