Menu

Do I want to buy a Comfy? Or Baby it's cold outside!

PeterPan

So fess up, do you wear a Comfy or other wearable blanket product? Do you like it? Love it? 

https://www.amazon.com/Comfy-Sweatshirt-Comfortable-Originally-Featured/dp/B07DKSY26D/ref=sxin_10_ac_d_rm?ac_md=0-0-c251Z2dpZQ%3D%3D-ac_d_rm&cv_ct_cx=snuggie&dchild=1&keywords=snuggie&pd_rd_i=B07DKSY26D&pd_rd_r=4f80be9d-6734-4575-82ec-5d6f5f3f2138&pd_rd_w=uSjJg&pd_rd_wg=XcsX2&pf_rd_p=e8fe1770-368d-4f3a-9196-c44d9c45be8c&pf_rd_r=EC1E58VEYN2DMJN54XHJ&qid=1613053638&sr=1-1-12d4272d-8adb-4121-8624-135149aa9081&th=1  

I like to get up in the morning and do things before showering and getting dressed. Normally I end up freezing and wrapping in an afghan, which of course leaves you with DRAFTS. So do you have one of these and like them? Any particular brand or design? Should it be a little more fitted or is the looseness great? I'm a Lands End XL and 5'5". 

Bonus for pics! :biggrin:

• Like 2

I bought DD this lap blanket/ convertible wearing thing

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07Y87KBYS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Y3QN5AD00YB7GZMG2H3B?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

because she frequently wore a blanket over her shoulders anyway, it is flannel (and that's her preferred clothing style), and she deserved a treat. 

I'd post a picture of her wearing it but she would be very displeased with me for doing so. 

She goes to college in the south so it isn't as cold there as it is here or where you are!!

• Like 3

I have a long, fluffy, leopard print fleece robe for winter mornings--it's several times thicker than your average fleece. Not slenderizing, but so toasty and easy to wear over anything. And the leopard print is fun 🙂 I got it from Soma several years ago, so they won't have it now but I'm sure lots of stores sell such a thing.

At present I'm writing at my desk with the bathroom space heater blowing warm air over my ankles. Maybe my pants got a little damp when I walked in the snow this morning? In any case my ankles and feet were freezing and I had to do something!

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 2

My girls and I have the exact one that you linked to. One DD uses hers a lot; the other has stashed hers somewhere, and I don't see her using it. I find mine to be awkward. It keeps me very warm, and I end up getting too hot and taking it off, which is an ordeal when I'm in the middle of something, since it is so bulky and not easy to slip off. I would wear it more, if it had a zipper down the front, so that I could unzip it to regulate my temperature as needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

I have a pair of fleece lined pants, a sweater and warm socks that I throw on first thing in the morning.  I wouldn't like the bulk of a blanket-type thing if I was actually walking around doing stuff.

Yes. I am wearing Smartwool socks, fleece lined walking trousers,  baselayer, turtleneck,  fleece, down vest, fingerless gloves . I  can move easily  and take off layers  I use a throw on my knees sometimes. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Yes. I am wearing Smartwool socks, fleece lined walking trousers,  baselayer, turtleneck,  fleece, down vest, fingerless gloves . I  can move easily  and take off layers  I use a throw on my knees sometimes. 

This is basically what I do too.  I don't think I'd want to walk around with something so bulky on.

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 2

I’ve got one. It was the only thing I asked for Christmas. It’s been especially nice while recovering from my shoulder surgery. I can’t always get my sweatshirts and hoodies off or on by myself. The Comfy is so large that I could put it on by myself right away.

Edited by City Mouse
  • Like 4

Not what quite you're talking about, but my knitted wide scarf/narrow shawl feels just like a blanket you can wear - so very warm and comforting.  But it's also easy to put on and take off, and it's stylish enough to wear out.  It's about 16" wide by 7-8' long (but the dimensions are flexible, as you can pull it wider or narrower - it easily pulls to 20" wide, which gives good coverage when sitting), made out of bulky yarn (a color-changing muted rainbow yarn, in my case - matches everything), knitted in a garter stitch ,with 2" tassels at the ends.  When I'm sitting I can put the ends over each leg (reaches just past my knees) and it's just like a blanket.  When I'm standing, it's just like a long scarf (I wear it as a scarf with my coat going out), ending just past my knees.  If I want to do things without the ends getting in my way, I throw each end over the opposite shoulder and it's long enough to stay there.  My mom bought mine at a craft fair, but it's an easy knit.

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 3

Nope, what you want is a floor length very warm fleece robe from LLBean.  It can double as a blanket in a pinch, but it stays out of your way better than that poncho shaped thing, it keeps drafts off your legs, and it is very very warm.  Along with that, get some of their Wicked Good Slippers with indoor/outdoor soles, and you'll be ready for anything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, forty-two said:

Not what quite you're talking about, but my knitted wide scarf/narrow shawl feels just like a blanket you can wear - so very warm and comforting.  But it's also easy to put on and take off, and it's stylish enough to wear out.  It's about 16" wide by 7-8' long (but the dimensions are flexible, as you can pull it wider or narrower - it easily pulls to 20" wide, which gives good coverage when sitting), made out of bulky yarn (a color-changing muted rainbow yarn, in my case - matches everything), knitted in a garter stitch ,with 2" tassels at the ends.  When I'm sitting I can put the ends over each leg (reaches just past my knees) and it's just like a blanket.  When I'm standing, it's just like a long scarf (I wear it as a scarf with my coat going out), ending just past my knees.  If I want to do things without the ends getting in my way, I throw each end over the opposite shoulder and it's long enough to stay there.  My mom bought mine at a craft fair, but it's an easy knit.

Man I wish I had one of these.    I don't know how to knit or I would make myself one.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PeterPan said:

So fess up, do you wear a Comfy or other wearable blanket product? Do you like it? Love it? 

https://www.amazon.com/Comfy-Sweatshirt-Comfortable-Originally-Featured/dp/B07DKSY26D/ref=sxin_10_ac_d_rm?ac_md=0-0-c251Z2dpZQ%3D%3D-ac_d_rm&cv_ct_cx=snuggie&dchild=1&keywords=snuggie&pd_rd_i=B07DKSY26D&pd_rd_r=4f80be9d-6734-4575-82ec-5d6f5f3f2138&pd_rd_w=uSjJg&pd_rd_wg=XcsX2&pf_rd_p=e8fe1770-368d-4f3a-9196-c44d9c45be8c&pf_rd_r=EC1E58VEYN2DMJN54XHJ&qid=1613053638&sr=1-1-12d4272d-8adb-4121-8624-135149aa9081&th=1  

I like to get up in the morning and do things before showering and getting dressed. Normally I end up freezing and wrapping in an afghan, which of course leaves you with DRAFTS. So do you have one of these and like them? Any particular brand or design? Should it be a little more fitted or is the looseness great? I'm a Lands End XL and 5'5". 

Bonus for pics! :biggrin:

My daughter and her best friend have them, wear them, and love them. They bought me one for Christmas. It's FUGLY as all get out but it is handy and I've worn it more than once. I've even cooked dinner in it. Mostly, I wear it sitting in my favorite book-reading spot. It's big enough to cover all of me when I tuck my legs in.

Edited by Sneezyone

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Are you currently staying in an ice hotel? What is the temperature in your house/outside? 

I am currently.wearing wool socks. I did have a cardigan on earlier.... Then a regular layer elsewhere. Ds had on his thermals at the airfield this morning (in the 20s this AM and 4 hours outdoors) 

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

Are you currently staying in an ice hotel? What is the temperature in your house/outside? 

I am currently.wearing wool socks. I did have a cardigan on earlier.... Then a regular layer elsewhere. Ds had on his thermals at the airfield this morning (in the 20s this AM and 4 hours outdoors) 

I am always bundled up and still freezing.  My fingers get so cold inside that I have to use a rechargeable hand warmer and my Raynaud's/chilblains flare up all winter long.  We keep our house at 67 and live in NE Ohio, but I am cold inside all year round except for the warmest days of summer.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

I am always bundled up and still freezing.  My fingers get so cold inside that I have to use a rechargeable hand warmer and my Raynaud's/chilblains flare up all winter long.  We keep our house at 67 and live in NE Ohio, but I am cold inside all year round except for the warmest days of summer.  

We keep our house at 72 year round, and I'm still often cold (full disclosure: I am also often hot, because menopause). I would freeze at 67. I wonder if you might consider raising your heating temperature? Yes, it would cost more, but I would think the extra money a good exchange for a better quality of daily life.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Storygirl said:

We keep our house at 72 year round

Ok, that's really hot! How do you sleep at night? LOL

11 hours ago, Storygirl said:

I end up getting too hot and taking it off, which is an ordeal when I'm in the middle of something, since it is so bulky and not easy to slip off. I would wear it more, if it had a zipper down the front, so that I could unzip it to regulate my temperature as needed.

That's what my mother said, so you're probably right.

11 hours ago, Acadie said:

I have a long, fluffy, leopard print fleece robe for winter mornings--it's several times thicker than your average fleece.

Ooo, that does sound nice!!!

9 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Nope, what you want is a floor length very warm fleece robe from LLBean.

So I'm seeing Wicked Plush and Winter Fleece. Do you know which it is you're preferring? 

8 hours ago, JennyD said:

I have this robe.  It is admittedly not the most alluring item of nightwear one might possess, but I LOVE it.

I have a *short* robe that zips that I've worn for years and loved. I hadn't thought about a long one in a heavy fleece, but you're right it would be wonderful! And I think I'd like it better than a wrap front robe. The LLBean Wicked Plus seems very nice, but I'd prefer the zip front, like you're saying. 

9 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Nope, what you want is a floor length very warm fleece robe from LLBean.

I seem to have missed the buying window, as they have only stray sizes left in the zip versions. It does look like theri Winter Fleece came as a zip front and also they have a sweatshirt robe that came in zip front. So now i'll know to watch and snag them in the fall when they come out again! or is the Wicked Fleece that much better?

10 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

I live in an early nineteenth century house in Scotland.  We will be renovating once the pandemic is over, aiming for about 17 degrees C inside (around 62 F), but currently it's around 14 degrees (57 F). We could really crank up the heat, but we are not sure that the boiler would cope, given the current poor insulation. It has been sitting at just below freezing outside recently - we have snow on the ground. 

There is a question of habit - I was really uncomfortable at my parents in law's place in Texas in winter, heated to 72  degrees F. It felt hot and unseasonable.  I grew up in a late eighteenth century house in England,  and bundling up feels cosy.

ETA: there's the environmental aspect: I can make myself comfortable with clothes and am not using extra fuel to heat the house, when all that is needed is to heat the two inches around my body.  The outer layers of clothes are not washed often, as they don't touch my body, so I'm doing barely more washing than I would if I wore fewer layers.  Meanwhile, I'm reducing pollution.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

Here you go:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/90070?page=winter-fleece-robe-wrap-revised-misses&bc=12-27-613-502982&feat=502982-GN3&csp=a&pos=4

They do seem awfully short on sizes.  Personally I don’t find zip up robes as warm as the custom cinched ones, so unless you want size M in green or size 3X in blue, you might need to wait.  Drat.

And the slippers:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/123161?page=womens-wicked-good-slipper-squam-lake-womens&bc=474-511913-503422&feat=503422-GN3&csp=a&pos=4

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Storygirl said:

We keep our house at 72 year round, and I'm still often cold (full disclosure: I am also often hot, because menopause). I would freeze at 67. I wonder if you might consider raising your heating temperature? Yes, it would cost more, but I would think the extra money a good exchange for a better quality of daily life.

It would cost a fortune to do that! I'll bundle up with my electric blanket and deal with it as long as DH doesn't mind that I'm always wearing a billion layers!  🙂  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Storygirl said:

I can't sleep with it hot at night, so I used to turn the heat down to 66 at night, but kept it nice and cozy during the day (72-74).  I loved it as I don't like being cold.  DH started working from home about 3 years ago and now "we" keep the heat at around 70 during the day (during the winter) and he turns it down to 62 at night (for cost not comfort).  I can't wait until winter is over so I don't have to be bundled up all the time.  

Our first floor is all wood floors and I have found the thing that makes the biggest difference to me, other than a nice fleece hoodie, is to have on slippers that have a sole.  Growing up my dad always told us that if your feet were warm the rest of you would be warm, and I'm finding that to be true.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mlktwins said:

DH started working from home about 3 years ago and now "we" keep the heat at around 70 during the day  

I tell my kids that marriage is serious business, and you have to ask yourself: Is this the person I want to be arguing over the thermostat with for the next fifty years? 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, katilac said:

I tell my kids that marriage is serious business, and you have to ask yourself: Is this the person I want to be arguing over the thermostat with for the next fifty years? 

YES!!!!  It hasn't been an issue at all until 3 years ago and we will be married 18 years on Tuesday!!!  He used to leave the house at 5:45 am and come home at 7:55 pm.  Good times -- LOL.  Just kidding, but definitely a good question to ask -- LOL!!!