Menu

Outings

klmama

My kids are teens, but it feels like "outings" these days, just because if I didn't choose to take a kid somewhere and make us go out we wouldn't go anywhere at all since there's nowhere to go. I mean, we're just on a rotation of different spots to take a walk in the big central park, the monuments/Mall, and the arboretum. Sometimes we get wild and go for a walk at a park in Maryland or Virginia. 

We go hiking.

Sometimes we take drives to explore areas we've always driven straight by in the past, because we had to get somewhere quickly then.

We've visited some local battlefields: lots of space; people (if any) spaced faaar, far apart; plenty of signs to explain what happened. In ordinary times my dds would *not* have been interested in any elements of military history, lol, but these days...? Those battlefield trips are pretty interesting.

When we get some slightly better weather I have a historic cemetery or two in mind. 😄 I mean-- these particular ones are really highly historic and park-like.

• Like 1

We have only had 1 "fun" outing since last March -- LOL.  In October, I took the boys to a beautiful winery to take pictures for their photography elective.  It felt really good to get out, wasn't too far away, and there were no close calls with other people where we went.

We live near a bunch of civil war battlefields, etc.  We will heading out to those when the weather gets nice.

Mine prefer not to go out :-(.  They are going to start walking with me everyday when it gets nice.  They are exercising in our basement at least.

We go to our local park and take a picnic when the weather is warm enough. The playground gets pretty crowded on those nice days, but it's easy to stay safely distanced on the trails and the rest of the green space. My kids are too old for playgrounds, so it's not an issue for us.

I took my youngest to the grocery store recently. We have a mask mandate, and everyone complies here. I consider that an outing for her. 

We sometimes go for a ride somewhere with some scenery. 

Our twins had a birthday last weekend (15 year olds) and we paid for the Urban Adventure Quest -- it's a website and they have scavenger hunts for a lot of big cities.  So we went to the downtown area where the museums are and then followed the scavenger hunt on our cell phones.  It took about 3 hours and they had a really nice time.  Most places were closed but it was designed to be all outside.  They did have kiosks for coffees and sandwiches.

Sometimes we go hiking together.  Sometimes we brave a book store and then get frozen yogurt afterward to eat in the little plaza.  For the most part we just don't go out much. Oh, we did rent a sailboat once and sailed in the bay, and we went boogie boarding in the summer. And the zoo.  So I guess we've done a lot!

• Like 2

We went on an amazing outing the week before COVID hit last year. It was a DaVinci exhibit at a local college with replicas of his inventions, designs, art...it was awesome.   😭  

We did some outings over the summer -- the zoo, botanical gardens, parks.  No outings now unless you count an occasional store. 

3 hours ago, Shelydon said:

We have gone to the lake, botanical gardens, weekly horseback writing lessons, co-op twice per week since Sept. (mask required), outdoor sports practice.  Nothing is closed here, just reduced capacity.  We avoid restaurants or crowded indoor places. 

That sounds fun: writing while riding, or teaching the horse to write?   🙂

2 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

We went on an amazing outing the week before COVID hit last year. It was a DaVinci exhibit at a local college with replicas of his inventions, designs, art...it was awesome.   😭  

If this was a traveling exhibit, we saw it a couple years ago at an area museum. I agree, it was amazing!

My teen refuses to step outside. We take him for a scenic drive on Highway 1 along the Pacific Coast once a week. We go through mountains and forests to reach there. He is not much impressed by the scenery, but, we make him go anyway.

He was walking and biking alone in my neighborhood before it started getting wet and windy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 10:17 AM, klmama said:

People keep mentioning they take their kids on "outings."  Where do you go?  What do you do?

My dc are grown now, but when they were home, we left the house for a field trip every Thursday.

Sometimes we worked on badges for scouts. Sometimes we went to the tide pools (we lived in San Diego at the time), Sometimes I read about something in the newspaper (such as a suspension foot bridge crossing a canyon near downtown San Diego, or a living history event). Once we drove up to San Juan Capistrano, where the swallows were supposed to return (I'm not sure if they did or not, but there were hundreds of other people there for the same reason, lol). Or we went to museums, or to the zoo (we happened to go to the children's zoo when a TV show being filmed). Sometimes we went to a large mall in another city for lunch and hanging around 🙂 which is how we happened to see Dorothy Hamil skating at the rink there. Later, we moved to San Jose, California, near San Francisco and Monterey, which gave us all new places to visit. 🙂

I did the science center a lot when my olders were young.  (one looked at me and said "that's where it came from").

I tried with dudeling.  the zoo, the science center, other stuff specific to our area, parks, etc.  he'd rather just stay home.