Menu

The Vaccine Thread

JennyD

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

A "13-fold higher risk of breakthrough infection compared to reinfection" sounds huge, but one of the comments on that paper says that if you look at the actual numbers, the breakthrough infection rate is 1.46% vs 0.12% for reinfections. And what these stats leave out is that 1.5% of previously infected people are immune from reinfection because they're dead. So the chance of having a breakthrough infection if you're vaccinated is lower than the chance of dying of covid if you catch it while unvaccinated? 

I haven't had time to go through the paper myself, I will try to do that later tonight, but there were multiple comments on the paper pointing out the above issues.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Looks like there's a couple of new vaccines being developed in Australia - one is needle-free. They're up to human trials, so maybe another year?

First Australian COVID-19 DNA vaccine trial commences - The University of Sydney

Promising COVID vaccine developed in Australia gets green light for human clinical trials (themandarin.com.au)

Ooh, and here's the French one being tested in NZ

Better against Delta? New vaccine trial in NZ set to start (theworldnews.net)

Edited by bookbard

By the way, I know of so many people in Australia who are totally not happy about the vaccine, but are vaccinated because their bosses told them to. Like, people who are posting anti-vax stuff on their fb, but they want to keep their jobs. Not necessarily govt jobs, either - just private employees who are telling their employees that they have to get done by a certain date, because they're dealing with the public. 

2 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Makes one wonder about mixing shots for the boosters, doesn’t it?

Dh and I had Moderna and will for sure get that for a booster.  My kids had Pfizer.  Gosh I wish they would have had the choice of Moderna.  I would like them to get that for a booster but I am bit worried about it with the heart issues for younger people.  Maybe that wouldn't be a good idea. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

This is in contrast to the 425 pediatric Covid deaths reported in the US so far. 47 of those 425 (more than ten percent) have happened in just the past two weeks 😥

eta link to AAP data: https://downloads.aap.org/AAP/PDF/AAP and CHA - Children and COVID-19 State Data Report 8.26 FINAL.pdf

Edited by KSera
Added link
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Dh and I had Moderna and will for sure get that for a booster.  My kids had Pfizer.  Gosh I wish they would have had the choice of Moderna.  I would like them to get that for a booster but I am bit worried about it with the heart issues for younger people.  Maybe that wouldn't be a good idea. 

Luckily kids were more recently vaccinated. I'd like to see the data, because there has been some concern about the Moderna booster.

5 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

Luckily kids were more recently vaccinated. I'd like to see the data, because there has been some concern about the Moderna booster.

What's the concern about the Moderna booster? I've also thought about switching it up (I got Pfizer) if we end up getting a choice...

• Like 1

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/pair-sold-registered-fake-vaccine-cards-for-nyc-healthcare-workers-da-says/3249082/

"An anti-vaccine entrepreneur sold about 250 fake COVID-19 vaccination cards through Instagram to New York healthcare workers, while a conspirator entered some of those people into a state database for vaccination registrations, Manhattan prosecutors said Tuesday. 

The Manhattan District Attorney's Office charged Jasmine Clifford, 31, of Lyndhurst, New Jersey, with selling the fake cards, and Nadayza Barkley, 27, of Bellport, NY, with entering at least 10 of the buyers into the state's centralized NYSIIS database -- which powers the state's Excelsior Pass. 

The DA's office also charged 13 people with buying the fake cards from Clifford via her "@AntiVaxMomma" account, among them hospital and nursing home workers. The DA's office said Clifford charged $200 for the cards and Barkley charged an extra $250 to register buyers in the database."

So healthcare workers were paying $450 to commit fraud rather than get a vaccine that would cost them nothing and protect them from a potentially deadly disease. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

I Was Nervous About Getting the COVID-19 Vaccine While Pregnant. Here's What Convinced Me to Do It (msn.com)

My friend's coworker just died after giving birth to her 5th child because she was afraid to get the vaccine while pregnant.  She was 37.  Her DH (I assume he wasn't vaccinated) is in the hospital on a ventilator and they don't know if he's going to make it.  😞  So sad. 

• Sad 6

My son was booked to have his second jab after 12 weeks, and couldn't find availability to move it to 8 weeks after that was allowed - the system insisted that he attend the original centre and there were no appointments.  He was planning on - legally - bypassing the system this week to attend a walk-in clinic.

Out of the blue, a member of NHS staff called him up today and offered him an appointment on Friday.  He's pleased to be getting the jab but also to find that the 8-week period pinged a reminder for someone to call him, and presumably a lot of other young people.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 18

12 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Out of the blue, a member of NHS staff called him up today and offered him an appointment on Friday.  He's pleased to be getting the jab but also to find that the 8-week period pinged a reminder for someone to call him, and presumably a lot of other young people.

Your system has consistently been so much more organized than ours. Glad he’ll get his second this week. 

• Like 3

I'm clinging onto the hope that the higher vaccination rates in older cohorts in Scotland compared to Israel will protect them/us and the hospitals, even with some waning immunity. These are the sources,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timesofisrael.com/among-older-israelis-serious-covid-rate-six-times-higher-if-unvaccinated/amp/

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/phs.covid.19/viz/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Screenshot_20210902-055617_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210902-060402_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

Our local vaccination rate is 37% fully vaxxed. Our hospital puts out statistics and it seems admissions/ICU/ and ventilator use is running about 13% vaccinated vs. 87% unvaccinated. 

I am not good enough at math to figure out what the effective usefulness is of the vaccine here but I am smart enough to realize with more of the population unvaccinated, even if all other things were equal the number of unvaccinated in the hospital would be higher than the vaxxed. But it seems as if that is a higher number of vaccinated in the hospital than I would have hoped for. We are all vaccinated here and I am glad for it but it seems the numbers are not as great as I would have hoped for and initially believed they would be. 

Ugh. We got involved in some things based on the idea we were pretty protected by our vaccines but now I am uncomfortable with some things I made a commitment to. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Our local vaccination rate is 37% fully vaxxed. Our hospital puts out statistics and it seems admissions/ICU/ and ventilator use is running about 13% vaccinated vs. 87% unvaccinated. 

I am not good enough at math to figure out what the effective usefulness is of the vaccine here but I am smart enough to realize with more of the population unvaccinated, even if all other things were equal the number of unvaccinated in the hospital would be higher than the vaxxed. But it seems as if that is a higher number of vaccinated in the hospital than I would have hoped for. We are all vaccinated here and I am glad for it but it seems the numbers are not as great as I would have hoped for and initially believed they would be. 

From what I've read, the vast majority of vaccinated hospitalized people are elderly — one report I saw said 87% of hospitalized vaccinated people were over 65, but I don't remember if that was for one hospital system or a whole state or what. That is not really surprising since that population is mostly likely to have been vaccinated 6-8 months ago, to have had a poor immune response to begin with, and to have multiple underlying conditions that could affect their ability to fight off infection.

ETA: My father & stepmother are in their 80s, and each has a long list of serious health conditions. They are both fully vaccinated, but if either of them caught covid they would definitely be hospitalized and would very likely die. So they would count as fully vaccinated hospitalizations and/or deaths, but those stats would be totally irrelevant to most vaccinated people.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

From what I've read, the vast majority of vaccinated hospitalized people are elderly — one report I saw said 87%, but I don't remember if that was for one hospital system or a while state or what. That is not really surprising since that population is mostly likely to have been vaccinated 6-8 months ago, to have had a poor immune response to begin with, and to have multiple underlying conditions that could affect their ability to fight off infection.

Thank you. One case I know of someone who has been vaccinated and in and out of the hospital over the last month is a transplant recipient. So I suppose there are cases like that in the numbers that doesn’t really reflect on my situation. I just feel defeated. I go back and forth between wanting to hunker down and thinking that if being infected is inevitable we might as well get it before our vaccines wear off any more than they have. And it is hard to hunker down or expect modifications when you are in an area that just is anti all of it. 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Ugh. We got involved in some things based on the idea we were pretty protected by our vaccines but now I am uncomfortable with some things I made a commitment to. 

Are you able to see a more detailed breakdown that separates our hospitalized/iCU/ventilated? I’m wondering which of those is 13%, because that does make a difference. All the hospital dashboards I’ve seen have a very tiny percentage of hospitalized vaccinated patients in the ICU or on a ventilator. Nurses have said their vaccinated patients tend to have much shorter stays and rarely progress to that level of seriousness (not that just being hospitalized isn’t a super big deal that I and everyone I know I want to avoid at all costs.)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KSera said:

Are you able to see a more detailed breakdown that separates our hospitalized/iCU/ventilated? I’m wondering which of those is 13%, because that does make a difference. All the hospital dashboards I’ve seen have a very tiny percentage of hospitalized vaccinated patients in the ICU or on a ventilator. Nurses have said their vaccinated patients tend to have much shorter stays and rarely progress to that level of seriousness (not that just being hospitalized isn’t a super big deal that I and everyone I know I want to avoid at all costs.)

It has been pretty consistently about 13% for total hospitalizations and 11% for ICU/ventilator. 

I also think there is some kind of bias in here that the unvaxxed wait longer to seek treatment. Part of the denial of the whole thing whereas the vaxxed people are more likely to seek treatment sooner. I don’t know. I just know that the anti-vaxxers I know don’t even want to be tested or seek any kind of treatment unless it is dire. They want to prove it is just a cold and will go away. So does that influence the fact that the unvaccinated that come to the hospital are in worse shape?

I don’t know. I’m just trying to make sense of the numbers and frame them in a way that is better for the vaccinated than what it looks like. But it just doesn’t look as promising as I thought it would. 

5 hours ago, whitestavern said:

Do you have articles you could link? That is surprising to me. Everything I've read indicates it can occur but it's rare. 

I will look, but the sources are infectious disease docs at the teaching hospital in my city, who are friends of our family, as well as friends who are ER nurses in the 3 largest hospitals here.

Having had alpha in mid 2020 is not lots of protection.

Edited by ScoutTN

Here are the latest CDC stats (as of 8/23) on breakthrough hospitalizations and deaths. Note that 1 in 4 hospitalizations and 1 in 5 deaths in vaccinated patients were not caused by covid. So of the 175,000,000 fully vaccinated people in the US, 6782 have been hospitalized for covid and 1623 have died of covid, and the vast majority of those hospitalizations and deaths have been in the elderly, who generally have poorer immune response and more high risk factors.

CDC data.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2