Menu

The Vaccine Thread

JennyD

I apologize if someone posted this, and I missed it, but here's a little vaccine levity: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/08/27/most-everyone-gets-coronavirus-vaccine-arm-butt-this-brazilian-city-is-shooting-lower/?utm_campaign=wp_to_your_health&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_tyh&wpmk=1&pwapi_token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJjb29raWVuYW1lIjoid3BfY3J0aWQiLCJpc3MiOiJDYXJ0YSIsImNvb2tpZXZhbHVlIjoiNWZlZjYzNzI5YmJjMGYyNTEyYmNmYzQyIiwidGFnIjoiNjEyOTM3ZDg5ZDJmZGEyZjQ3MGU0ZDY0IiwidXJsIjoiaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cud2FzaGluZ3RvbnBvc3QuY29tL3dvcmxkLzIwMjEvMDgvMjcvbW9zdC1ldmVyeW9uZS1nZXRzLWNvcm9uYXZpcnVzLXZhY2NpbmUtYXJtLWJ1dHQtdGhpcy1icmF6aWxpYW4tY2l0eS1pcy1zaG9vdGluZy1sb3dlci8_dXRtX2NhbXBhaWduPXdwX3RvX3lvdXJfaGVhbHRoJnV0bV9tZWRpdW09ZW1haWwmdXRtX3NvdXJjZT1uZXdzbGV0dGVyJndwaXNyYz1ubF90eWgmd3Btaz0xIn0.EFM_NzTDb74Gk3eFdGhlWyPhxvUE0wWtBbpbpQ4Yae0

“I didn’t understand why almost no one in Joinville was posting vaccine photos,” editorial assistant Ana Siedschlag said in a tweet that went viral. “Until I found out that almost everyone (including me) WAS TAKING THE VACCINE IN THE BUNDA.”

The article has some lighthearted puns in addition to the news. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kokotg said:

Hmm. Waning immunity vs. Delta ruins everything. This guys comes down strongly in favor of the latter and says we need to slow down re: boosters because of it:

https://insidemedicine.bulletin.com/537599687311876/?fbclid=IwAR3R_-gM-WatKZGMtCWIhD8P0CjDMeVEWyy5Bclq54LAMqUZA1b32_ce428

It's an interesting perspective, but I think there's a bit of hubris in stating "with confidence" that waning immunity isn't a thing, based on data from a few selected states in the US. IMO he's making some fairly simplistic assumptions about very complex data. Even if he's correct that cases increased at a similar rate  in younger age groups as well as over 65s, that doesn't eliminate the possibility of waning immunity. For example, it's possible that cases increased in younger, more recently-vaccinated age groups primarily because of greater social interaction and riskier behavior + Delta, while increased cases in the elderly may be due to waning immunity + Delta, rather than an increase in riskier behavior. 

He claims that waning antibody levels don't matter in terms of immunity, but if the "superantigen" theory is correct and Delta has the ability to evade T cells, then his claim that antibody levels don't matter goes out the window. 

I'm confused by the part where he says that we should "study whether a Delta-specific booster might perform better than either the original two-dose series, or better than a 3rd dose of the original vaccine. We have time to learn whether half or full doses of these boosters would provide all the protection we need but with fewer adverse events." Since that's exactly what the Pfizer and Moderna booster trials have done, I don't understand his point here. 

I don't know, on one side I see data showing that immunity against actual disease does seem to be waning, and data showing that boosters are highly effective in increasing antibody levels and would most likely also increase protection against disease, and on the other side I see people saying "meh, it might not be a big deal, we really don't know," and I feel like it makes more sense to come down on the side of being proactive (for once!) rather than waiting to see if things get much worse before deciding to do something about it.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

It's an interesting perspective, but I think there's a bit of hubris in stating "with confidence" that waning immunity isn't a thing, based on data from a few selected states in the US. IMO he's making some fairly simplistic assumptions about very complex data. Even if he's correct that cases increased at a similar rate  in younger age groups as well as over 65s, that doesn't eliminate the possibility of waning immunity. For example, it's possible that cases increased in younger, more recently-vaccinated age groups primarily because of greater social interaction and riskier behavior + Delta, while increased cases in the elderly may be due to waning immunity + Delta, rather than an increase in riskier behavior. 

He claims that waning antibody levels don't matter in terms of immunity, but if the "superantigen" theory is correct and Delta has the ability to evade T cells, then his claim that antibody levels don't matter goes out the window. 

I'm confused by the part where he says that we should "study whether a Delta-specific booster might perform better than either the original two-dose series, or better than a 3rd dose of the original vaccine. We have time to learn whether half or full doses of these boosters would provide all the protection we need but with fewer adverse events." Since that's exactly what the Pfizer and Moderna booster trials have done, I don't understand his point here. 

I don't know, on one side I see data showing that immunity against actual disease does seem to be waning, and data showing that boosters are highly effective in increasing antibody levels and would most likely also increase protection against disease, and on the other side I see people saying "meh, it might not be a big deal, we really don't know," and I feel like it makes more sense to come down on the side of being proactive (for once!) rather than waiting to see if things get much worse before deciding to do something about it.

Yeah, I've definitely been team boosters ASAP...but I also recognize that my personal perspective as someone who doesn't want to get covid (and who still has an unvaccinated kid) might be different from the public health perspective. I'm still lining up for a third dose as soon as I can, but since it's not clear that that will happen particularly soon (Moderna here), I do like that some people think I don't need to worry about it yet anyway. But I'm also not clear on what he sees as the downside of third doses sooner rather than later. Mostly I thought it was interesting...and I like to remind myself that there's still a ton that's up in the air about covid. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, bookbard said:

Oy!

I do think it is hard to tell exactly how it was transmitted. Here we see beach parties go on, and a tourist bus will pull up and 50 people spill out. That's just a covid outbreak waiting to happen. I think some of spread that looks like outdoor spread could be linked to transportation but also the shared bathroom spaces. When our state park day use areas have several hundred people during the day, those bathrooms are simply going to be swamped with covid droplets, and no one masks anymore making it exponentially worse. But it is also impossible to discount that the actually infection could have been from the actual outdoor activity. Back in summer 2020, there was an outbreak from a sandbar party at Torch Lake, and public restrooms was not the issue...multiple boats anchored out there bringing in all of those people was likely....pontoon boats that held 12-16 people and those don't have cabins that people spend time in. The whole point is being above deck. The party lasted many hours, and though the portapots on the boats might have been a contributing factor, from the pictures one can see this huge glob of humans practically shoulder to shoulder crammed onto that sandbar. At that time, Michigan was still only seeing cases of the Alpha strain which is exponentially less transmissible than Delta. My guess is we are going to see an explosion of cases in several days linked to all the Labor Day parties.

We launched our sailboat this weekend, just Mark and I alone on the water. The boys went hiking, no groups. Mostly we just look at groups of people as nothing more than ticking time bombs. 

In my county, less then 43% of eligible 12 year olds through adults are vaccinated. No masks. No social distancing. School is five days face on with no contact tracing, and they will not be informing parents of covid numbers nor student exposures. There are literally exactly ZERO precautions being taken, and no virtual school option being offered. It is prudent to assume that everyone around you is a super spreading covid petri dish. 

• Like 1

Trigger warning: skip this post if upsetting Covid news is not what you need to hear at this moment.

I just got a call from my wife. Last week the special needs (autism) classroom she works in was shut down because a child in that class (who is too young to be vaccinated) came to school with Covid.

My wife just learned that that student's father, who was unvaccinated, died today of Covid.

That's the reality of this illness. Unfortunately.

My wife is in a state of shock. She knew the dad. Young guy. Very likeable I'm told. Gone.

Bill

• Sad 41

29 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Trigger warning: skip this post if upsetting Covid news is not what you need to hear at this moment.

I just got a call from my wife. Last week the special needs (autism) classroom she works in was shut down because a child in that class (who is too young to be vaccinated) came to school with Covid.

My wife just learned that that student's father, who was unvaccinated, died today of Covid.

My wife is in a state of shock. She knew the dad. Young guy. Very likeable I'm told. Gone.

Bill

Bill, please convey my deepest sympathy to your wife. She is a hero to be working in these conditions with special needs children, and I fear, will spend a good deal of the year trying to comfort her students. I cannot imagine.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

Oh, that is awful and so sad.  I'm sorry for everyone involved.  😞 

• Thanks 1

@Spy Carthat is profoundly sad and feels like a senseless death. It is hard for your wife to see all this hurt and suffering.

That's the cost nobody talks about either...he hundreds of thousands in US and millions of children worldwide who have lost their parent or primary caregiver. That's trauma with long term consequences and for far too many poverty and diminished outcomes/opportunities.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Bill, please convey my deepest sympathy to your wife. She is a hero to be working in these conditions with special needs children, and I fear, will spend a good deal of the year trying to comfort her students. I cannot imagine.

Thank you. My wife is back home now and completely disconsolate.

She tells me this is the sweetest family. A very lovely wife who is  kind and supportive and she tells me the father who passed was also a great guy. The boy in the class--who has profound autism--is also really sweet and has a neurotypical older brother who totally looks out for him.

A heavy day in our household.

Bill

• Sad 22

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Thank you. My wife is back home now and completely disconsolate.

She tells me this is the sweetest family. A very lovely wife who is  kind and supportive and she tells me the father who passed was also a great guy. The boy in the class--who has profound autism--is also really sweet and has a neurotypical older brother who totally looks out for him.

A heavy day in our household.

Bill

I am so very, very sorry. 

• Thanks 1

DD says the university where she works has vaccination mandates for everyone, students, professors, and all staff. Everyone is to be masked unless in their own room or office. There isn't of course masking mandates off campus. They are testing on some rotation every couple of days and breakthrough delta cases are showing up. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

Oh, that is terrible 😞 . I'm so sorry. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

I'm so sorry. As the parent of a child (adult, actually) with severe autism, I really feel for this family.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

I'm so sorry. As the parent of a child (adult, actually) with severe autism, I really feel for this family.

Me too. My wife has been sharing stories and photos she's taken of the little boy who lost his Dad today. 

The whole thing is so utterly tragic. 

Bill

• Sad 7

5 hours ago, Starr said:

DD says the university where she works has vaccination mandates for everyone, students, professors, and all staff. Everyone is to be masked unless in their own room or office. There isn't of course masking mandates off campus. They are testing on some rotation every couple of days and breakthrough delta cases are showing up. 

I guess the question is whether these breakthrough cases are spreading to others and causing any kind of outbreak in that setting. I have a kid in a university with similar measures (though I don't know about testing other than when they arrive), and I'm realizing that cases will inevitably happen because people do things off campus, go to work, visit family, etc. What will make the difference in how comfortable I (and my kid) feel will be whether those people who test positive are causing spread on campus. It does seem likely they might transmit to their roommate(s), but I'm hoping we'll find not usually to people just in classes or hallways or whatever.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Starr said:

People eat unmasked generally. And, there’s always off-campus life. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

People eat unmasked generally. And, there’s always off-campus life. 

Also, if a school has a music program, that's another potential source of spread. Masking for wind instruments is only partially effective because the player has to breathe in, not just out, and while you can use masks with holes and cover openings on the instruments, wind instrumentalists typically breathe in through the mouth unless they're circular breathing, which isn't standard. I'm particularly concerned about schools doing marching band this fall. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

Also, if a school has a music program, that's another potential source of spread. Masking for wind instruments is only partially effective because the player has to breathe in, not just out, and while you can use masks with holes and cover openings on the instruments, wind instrumentalists typically breathe in through the mouth unless they're circular breathing, which isn't standard. I'm particularly concerned about schools doing marching band this fall. 

Ds's college is doing a half time show with no choreography except from the masked color guard. They form a huge line facing forward with about 12ft between players and percussion, masked, forming a second line. Masked director on a ladder very far away, and he also uses a face shield. Stadium is only 20% capacity, mandatory and strictly enforced masks required which has pissed off the locals. Sports participation required vaccines as did on campus housing. Masking on campus indoors except when eating and inside dorm room, financial penalties and disciplinary action for not complying. 73% of the student body and 80+% of faculty and staff are vaxed. So it seems okay. But in my mind, I am still very worried, and vaxed ds is not going to attend a single game.

All four of Ds's suite mates are vaxed, and he says they are champion maskers. Until it gets really cold out, they are meeting for dinner and eating outside. Their campus is beautiful, and on one of the hills, Great Lake views abound. So it is definitely pleasant. But when it gets really nasty out, he is going to start ordering his food to go from one of the dining halls and take it back to his room which means earing a lot of cold food all winter.

Individual wind instrument and singing lessons are being done with masked and face shield instructor, student behind a plexiglass three sided cove, and  Hepa filters the school bought last fall and unless the student has a medical exemption, the professor can refuse to give lessons inside to unvaxed students. I don't know what they are doing for voice.

The high schools are doing let it rip. Sigh. They are no even trying. The local band director quit and they couldn't get a new one, so I guess that is a default "protection".

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Ds's college is doing a half time show with no choreography except from the masked color guard. They form a huge line facing forward with about 12ft between players and percussion, masked, forming a second line. Masked director on a ladder very far away, and he also uses a face shield. Stadium is only 20% capacity, mandatory and strictly enforced masks required which has pissed off the locals. Sports participation required vaccines as did on campus housing. Masking on campus indoors except when eating and inside dorm room, financial penalties and disciplinary action for not complying. 73% of the student body and 80+% of faculty and staff are vaxed. So it seems okay. But in my mind, I am still very worried, and vaxed ds is not going to attend a single game.

All four of Ds's suite mates are vaxed, and he says they are champion maskers. Until it gets really cold out, they are meeting for dinner and eating outside. Their campus is beautiful, and on one of the hills, Great Lake views abound. So it is definitely pleasant. But when it gets really nasty out, he is going to start ordering his food to go from one of the dining halls and take it back to his room which means earing a lot of cold food all winter.

Individual wind instrument and singing lessons are being done with masked and face shield instructor, student behind a plexiglass three sided cove, and  Hepa filters the school bought last fall and unless the student has a medical exemption, the professor can refuse to give lessons inside to invaded students. I don't know what they are doing for voice.

The high schools are doing let it rip. Sigh. They are no even trying. The local band director quit and they couldn't get a new one, so I guess that is a default "protection".

the state U here is doing football like there's no COVID, except for masks in the stands being theoretically required (but if you have a drink or a hot dog in your hands, you're exempt). Full marching band with choreo, and lots of practice. 

Somehow, I feel like masks being required on campus isn't going to help those band kids much....

One of the local high school band directors died of COVID recently. His band played the show "in his honor" that weekend. 

• Sad 9

This happened over the weekend in my state. ☹️

Jefferson County Public Health executive director Dawn Comstock said medical staff working at a mobile vaccine clinic in neighboring Gilpin County, about 30 miles (48 kilometers) northwest of Denver, were yelled at and threatened by people passing by, the Denver Post reported.

“Additional cars drove by screaming obscenities at vaccine staff and throwing garbage at them,” Comstock said. “I will not put the hard-working public health staff in harm’s way.”

Comstock said that a driver ran over and destroyed signs put up around the vaccine clinic’s tent. In a separate incident that day, someone threw an unidentified liquid at a nurse working a different mobile clinic in front of a restaurant.

https://www.outtherecolorado.com/news/colorado-county-covid-vaccine-workers-harassed-over-holiday/article_d38abefc-10e7-11ec-9a9c-c7c7beeb858f.html?fbclid=IwAR3D90XVnEN0x0_c3gXPkW9nXvR01ruoA7ZWmK_53EBadBFlRG3jbwZxy1E

• Sad 15

12 hours ago, Starr said:

How crazy are people?

Totally unhinged. I think we need to build some temp jails, maybe National Guard units could man them, and round up the ones that vandalize, make physical threats, and throw stuff at medical workers. Give them all three days in lockdown, bologna sandwiches and water. I guarantee you all but the most hardened ones will calm the eff down. They like their lives and aren't thrilled about lost wages, possibly losing their jobs over it, using paid vacation, finding daycare, etc. Right now these scums are getting away without consequences. I think we need security and traffic cams at vaccine sites so license plate numbers, faces, and other identifying info of the perps can be gathered.

Put some arrests and lock up video on Primetime, maybe half show advertising on Monday night football!

• Like 2

In other news, a young woman who used to be in our 4H club and is a sophomore in college, called to ask if we would write more letters of recommendation because she wants to transfer. The semester has just started, and so we asked what was up. She and her parents are "it's a hoax" people and believe the entire medical profession globally is lying, that virtually no one has ever been hospitalized for covid much less died. It is a cold. 😡 Her current college has a mask mandate and a recent vaccine mandate with students needing to have their first shot by Oct. 1st, and they cannot attend in person classes if they are not vaxed or in process because their county is starting to get hammered again so she was moved to synchronous online. She is furious and so are her parents so she wants to transfer to a college with no protocols. I guess that means Florida or Texas because so many schools are at least requiring masks indoors.

This was really hard for us to do because we always try to boost our former club kids, and letters of rec have always been things we did. A lot of letters. Every fall it is busy writing, writing, writing. But we turned her down. I just said "We retired this year from 4H and since we already wrote these for you when you applied as a high school senior, we have a full year gap that we haven't worked with you." She was unhappy, but said she understood. The reality is I would have normally said yes and wrote one based on our previous years of experience with her. However, I can't in good conscience recommend a student to a college who is militantly "covid is a hoax" and will deliberately go out of their way to put others at risk.

I sat on the couch and cried about it last night. This is so horrible. I have never had to do this to one of my 4H members. We worked so hard to help as many of them as we could, and this just stinks. It hurts! But there is a moral issue here.

• Sad 16