Menu

What glassware do you have/use?

DawnM

Do you have an everyday set and a fancier set?

I just inherited my mom's dishes and glassware, but it isn't my style, so I will use it, but not all the time.

The set is Friendly Village and she had these glasses, you can see why they only go with the set she had:

https://laurelleaffarm.com/item-pages/The-Friendly-Village-Johnson-Bros-goalong-wine-glasses-vintage-glassware-set-Laurel-Leaf-Farm-item-no-m41205.htm

I need to get some everyday glassware and maybe some Chrystal glasses as well.

I can't believe I am spending this much time looking at drinking glasses!

Just decide for me!  Show me what you have.

I love the French Picardie glasses from Williams Sonoma except I didn't pay that much for them. I lucked up on a full set for $30 at the Williams Sonoma outlet about 15 years ago and they are still going strong.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/picardie-glass-tumblers-assorted/?catalogId=44&sku=4101460&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Tabletop %26 Bar > Tumblers %26 Drinking Glasses&region_id=772240&cm_ite=4101460&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk53-BRD0ARIsAJuNhps4EH7pcy0H0-UCfApmdWxxnZ24Y-pJf1yYcAyGajaxPknRyYTf2ZMaAk_TEALw_wcB

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

We're very casual people. We use Tervis tumblers for everyday glasses, and we don't have anything fancy. We did years ago, including a good collection of Tiffany glasses. But we never used them and saw no reason to let them continue occupying our space, so they got donated.

Yep, we use and love Tervis tumblers. I despise sweat on my cups, so this was my solution. I have some fancy Noritake water goblets (glass) that only make an appearance at Christmas and thanksgiving. 

Edited by mmasc
Link
  • Like 2

Our everyday drinkware consists of an assortment of Yeti tumblers. We have some pretty glassware that we got for our wedding, but haven't used it for many years. Nobody here drinks wine and we don't do fancy meals that would require water goblets, so I'll probably donate it.

• Like 2

We have a horrible mish-mash of IKEA plastic cups that my teens still love, some cheap WalMart glass that are almost all broken (Yay!), some nice glass-looking plastic cups that are my favourites, and a few glasses that were gift sets. Our mugs are the same way - a crazy collection from everywhere. 

I do have a small set of thinner, more fragile 'fancy' glasses that I rarely use because I don't want to break them. I also have a similar fragile set of glass dessert bowls that never get used for the same reason. 

We don't entertain guests very often, so matching glasses isn't a priority. I'd like to find another set of the good quality plastic ones that I found years ago. They are still in amazing shape. 

• Like 1

No fancy glasses. I do have Gorham crystal water goblets and wine glasses from our wedding. I used to use them back when we hosted holidays but dss took over hosting after their now 8yo was born. I keep meaning to get rid of them but for now they're stored on a high shelf out of the way since we got rid of our china cabinet when we moved in May.

We have these Anchor Hocking glasses that you can buy just about anywhere.  Both sizes get used daily.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

I just inherited my mom's dishes and glassware, but it isn't my style, so I will use it, but not all the time.

The set is Friendly Village and she had these glasses, you can see why they only go with the set she had:

https://laurelleaffarm.com/item-pages/The-Friendly-Village-Johnson-Bros-goalong-wine-glasses-vintage-glassware-set-Laurel-Leaf-Farm-item-no-m41205.htm

Those look perfect for Christmas use!

We have (the remaining few from) 2 sets of glasses received at our wedding, 20 years ago. Nothing special. We mostly use a hodgepodge of plastic cups that were freebies. 

• Like 1

Our “fancy” stuff is packed away in storage since we moved here about 10 years ago. We do have the remains of a set of wine glasses that are stored in the kitchen and get used a few times a year. We each have a Yeti cup, and I use mine constantly. Our collection of plastic freebie drink ware has slowly dwindled down, and we have some plastic cups that I bought at Target and some from the dollar store.

After years of experimentation (inadvertent) we concluded that we needed sturdy glasses from a restaurant supply store for our significant water drinking habit, so that’s what we use.  We can literally drop them on the floor and have them survive, and they have flats around them so they are less slippery than completely round ones.

We use Spode highball glasses for water at Christmas time.  They are more fragile but very festive.  

We do have water goblets as well as wine glasses in our wedding crystal pattern, but they need to be hand washed, which I hate to do, and also lead from crystal does get into the drink somewhat so it’s kind of squicky to use them.  So I have not gotten them out to use for quite a few years now.  

We have very few plastic drinking cups though of course we had more when ds was growing up. I just counted them because of this thread and it seems we have seven. Four of them are kid cups for when our grandkids come over. Of those four, two are Chuck E Cheese cups and two are these cups with built-in straws. Another plastic cup is a souvenir cup belonging to ds from Universal's Halloween Horror Nights several years ago. All of those are on a high shelf and I bring the kid cups down when I know the boys will be coming over. That leaves two actual drinking cups and ds is generally the only one who uses them. I use one of the bigger ones (16oz. size) occasionally to water my houseplants. 

The three of us mostly drink water on a daily basis. I don't think it matters to ds, but dh and I feel like water "tastes" better in glass than in plastic.

• Haha 1

These are my everyday glasses. I like them.  They're stemless wine glasses that I use for everything.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5FQD0U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20 years ago I got a set of cheap crystal stemware glasses ($2 each at Ross)  to go with my cream with silver trim plates (inexpensive ones from Bed Bath & Beyond.)I could honestly tell nervous parents with kids (including my spouse) it's no big deal if they get broken, they were $2 each so we could include kids.  I have settings for 24 because before I moved I easily had 24+ people at a gathering and hosted 1-3 times a year for about 15 years, then at least once a year after that. Middle daughter asked me to bring the stemware as she and her husband hosted Thanksgiving this year.  She put them with pretty paper plates and a pretty paper tablecloth which was lovely.

I make the table seasonal by adding cut flowers and I have 3 table runners: autumn gold for Thanksgiving, beige linen with cream embroidery for Easter, and red for Christmas. The tablecloths are cream microfiber that resist stains. So are the napkins.

Still mulling over the idea of reducing permanently.  I seat 7-10 now once a year. I have room in the garage of clearly labeled bins tucked neatly away in an easily accessible place with room to spare, so need to decide right away. I put them in the dishwasher on the gentlest cycle and whatever happens, happens. A few have a little fading in spots on the silver rims, which I'm calling a petina.

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

I have a set of goblets that I use with the china; otherwise we use the same glasses for everything else. When the dc were little, they used Tupperware cups, but when they were trustworthy (more or less, lol), they used the regular glasses. For many yeas we just used some Anchor Hocking classes I bought at the grocery store; eventually, I bought Princess House crystal glasses. They look like regular ol' glasses (they're also no longer manufactured, so the nine that I now have are precious, lol).

• Like 1

I always thought of "Friendly Village" as being very "Thanksgivingy".

I have Godinger Shannon Dublin I started buying back in the 90s - they're made from a three-part mold (which makes it inexpensive), but they do a better than average job finishing the seams.  it really is crystal.    I also have a set of iced water glasses - they get used for chocolate mousse too.   I also use them to dress up my everyday dishes - as well as with any set of china (mine, dh's grandmother's, and my holiday china.)

my everyday glasses are from costco. (two sizes)  we bought a lot, extras are stored in the garage to replace those that get broken.

• Like 1

For everyday use, I bought a set of Zenkel's 8 piece double walled glass set during their Christmas sale. It is perfect for hot coffee, cold drinks and for water. I have used it for 3 years and it is still going strong. I put it in the dishwasher, microwave etc.

https://www.zwilling.com/us/zwilling-sorrento-8-pc-double-wall-glass-latte-cup-set-39500-099/39500-099-0.html?cgid=our-brands_zwilling_glassware_sorrento#start=1

• Like 1

My "fancy" set is the mix-matched glasses- the remains of a set got for Christmas and a partial set I found on discount because it had a glass missing. I prefer to use a glass. Dh's favorite cup is a giant plastic cup from Fuzzy Taco that we got on vacation one year. I have some plastic and metal cups (a mix of Goodwill and gifts) that the kids usually use. I prefer glass for the aesthetics but dh prefers plastic for the practicality.

I'm too practical for glasses or dishes that I only use a few times a year. Maybe once all the kids are grown(and less likely to break things) I'll spring for dishes that match. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CTVKath said:

I love the French Picardie glasses from Williams Sonoma except I didn't pay that much for them. I lucked up on a full set for $30 at the Williams Sonoma outlet about 15 years ago and they are still going strong.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/picardie-glass-tumblers-assorted/?catalogId=44&sku=4101460&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Tabletop %26 Bar > Tumblers %26 Drinking Glasses&region_id=772240&cm_ite=4101460&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk53-BRD0ARIsAJuNhps4EH7pcy0H0-UCfApmdWxxnZ24Y-pJf1yYcAyGajaxPknRyYTf2ZMaAk_TEALw_wcB

We have these too! I just bought them a few weeks ago from Costco where the price is way better. They may even still be on sale. I really love them so far!

• Like 1

Our everyday glasses are simple glasses from IKEA.  They are inexpensive and fit in the cabinet well.  DH uses a variety of plastic cups collected from restaurants over the years--they drive me crazy.  

We have DH's mother's glassware for when we are being a bit more formal and some of my grandmother's crystal If I want something very special.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

I always thought of "Friendly Village" as being very "Thanksgivingy".

I have Godinger Shannon Dublin I started buying back in the 90s - they're made from a three-part mold (which makes it inexpensive), but they do a better than average job finishing the seams.  it really is crystal.    I also have a set of iced water glasses - they get used for chocolate mousse too.   I also use them to dress up my everyday dishes - as well as with any set of china (mine, dh's grandmother's, and my holiday china.)

my everyday glasses are from costco. (two sizes)  we bought a lot, extras are stored in the garage to replace those that get broken.

It was my mom's everyday dish set.   I meant to pull it down for Thanksgiving but I haven't unpacked it yet, and just got too busy.

I think I will use it for Christmas though.

• Like 1

I have been looking at bit more today and I really like the colorful glasses for everyday.   

While I am casual, I also much prefer drinking cold drinks from glass than from plastic or metal.

I have Fiestaware as my everyday dishes.

Maybe these?

https://www.amazon.com/Prism-Colored-Stemless-Beverage-Glasses/dp/B00P2Y3AV0/ref=sr_1_46?crid=3CS75VZDBY2F4&dchild=1&keywords=multicolor+glasses+drinking&qid=1606933533&sprefix=multicolor+glasses%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-46

I want clear for my nicer glasses, but I am going to get everyday first.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I have been looking at bit more today and I really like the colorful glasses for everyday.   

While I am casual, I also much prefer drinking cold drinks from glass than from plastic or metal.

I have Fiestaware as my everyday dishes.

Maybe these?

https://www.amazon.com/Prism-Colored-Stemless-Beverage-Glasses/dp/B00P2Y3AV0/ref=sr_1_46?crid=3CS75VZDBY2F4&dchild=1&keywords=multicolor+glasses+drinking&qid=1606933533&sprefix=multicolor+glasses%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-46

I want clear for my nicer glasses, but I am going to get everyday first.

I like these, but in my world they look easy to drop, what with the two direction curves and completely smooth sides.  Plus for us they would not hold enough for water with dinner.  But we are heavy drinkers, LOL, so YMMV.

What about these?  

https://www.amazon.com/NOVICA-Rainbow-Centrifuge-Highball-Glasses/dp/B014LB9ARW/ref=sr_1_28?dchild=1&keywords=multicolor+glasses+drinking&qid=1606934543&rnid=2941120011&s=kitchen&sr=1-28

Or these are simpler, more similar to the ones you posted, but with that essential increase in friction:

https://www.amazon.com/Style-Setter-229221-HB-4C-Provence-Multicolor/dp/B01K1E990G/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=multicolor+glasses+drinking&qid=1606934543&rnid=2941120011&s=kitchen&sr=1-18

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I like these, but in my world they look easy to drop, what with the two direction curves and completely smooth sides.  Plus for us they would not hold enough for water with dinner.  But we are heavy drinkers, LOL, so YMMV.

What about these?  

https://www.amazon.com/NOVICA-Rainbow-Centrifuge-Highball-Glasses/dp/B014LB9ARW/ref=sr_1_28?dchild=1&keywords=multicolor+glasses+drinking&qid=1606934543&rnid=2941120011&s=kitchen&sr=1-28

Or these are simpler, more similar to the ones you posted, but with that essential increase in friction:

https://www.amazon.com/Style-Setter-229221-HB-4C-Provence-Multicolor/dp/B01K1E990G/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=multicolor+glasses+drinking&qid=1606934543&rnid=2941120011&s=kitchen&sr=1-18

The first are too yellow for my taste, but I like the second set.  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, matrips said:

We have a set of Waterford crystal glasses that we never use (wedding gift), and a mish mosh of basic drinking glasses and Tervis tumblers. I actually prefer a variety so we can tell who is whose, and therefore use less glasses.

I was thinking that would be a good idea with the various colored matching glasses as well.

1 minute ago, DawnM said:

I was thinking that would be a good idea with the various colored matching glasses as well.

Even when guests come to stay, we assign them a glass. (They can pick).  Is that terrible?  😳😂. But before we did that, the first time my sister and her dh came to stay, we easily went through well over a dozen glasses with them in a day.  I thought it was crazy. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, matrips said:

Even when guests come to stay, we assign them a glass. (They can pick).  Is that terrible?  😳😂. But before we did that, the first time my sister and her dh came to stay, we easily went through well over a dozen glasses with them in a day.  I thought it was crazy. 

That is crazy!

2 hours ago, matrips said:

I like that idea!

• Like 1

I bought these Duralex Manhatten clear tumbers/glasses, six of each, before we were married 30 years ago.  We only lost one which was dropped on cement.  Along the way we also got odds and ends of glassware cleaning out mil's and sil's homes, which the kids used the most.  And in their 20s, a couple of the kids insist on using the little Tupperware glasses yet. haha.

I also have Princess House mugs that get used whenever someone's in the mood or brings wine.

https://www.duralexusa.com/collections/tumblers

• Like 1