Menu

Where do you put your exercise bike?

PeterPan

43 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Mine stays in a corner of the living room -- in the spot where my tree is currently located. (Which means I have to creatively rearrange the house for 2 months.)

I know, I have one of those corners and was so tempted!

44 minutes ago, MEmama said:

In our bonus room. 

DH has his home office set up in the same room, so now on long calls (where he doesn’t have to speak, just listen), he sometimes rides at the same time. 🙂

Oh that's interesting. I had assumed I wanted it in the basement, facing the tv. But you're right, it could be in dd's old room. It's just sitting there, unused. Hmm.

41 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

In a corner of our sun room.

Wow!! I hadn't thought of that at all, and you're right I have one!! 

38 minutes ago, Kassia said:

It's so dreary and boring to use it there

Yeah, I definitely want to use it and not be talking myself out of it.

• Like 2

I keep mine next to the bed because I like a lot of privacy when I work out. I also only drape folded workout clothes neatly on the seat. And my tennis shoes on top. (Mine is a recumbent too.)

It is never a clothes hanger. I've gotten semi-anal about my workout clothes looking tidy on the seat.

Dh tried to put something on the seat and I freaked out on the poor guy!

W.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

In the sunniest and favorite room of the house. The room has been a few things over the years: a school room and now a bedroom.  

I used to have workout stuff in the basement, but it just doesn’t get used down there (my basement is 70 years old and is kinda dingy.

Actually...it’s a treadmill and not a bike, but same idea.  It has a stand where I put my ipad and watch Netflix while I walk.

• Like 1

My favorite place has been in our guest room, facing the window.  I could watch kids playing in the cul de sac while I biked.  Though I usually watch a show on the laptop.  It was good for keeping an eye on kids, in the BeforeTimes.

My mom has moved into that room, and I’ve considered moving the bike to the basement.  But it’s sooo heavy.  So, for now, it’s in my bedroom.  We have two window alcoves, and it fits perfectly in one.  I can still look out the window, too. As a location, it’s grown on me.  

Years ago, I used another guest room, which is now a sitting room and sometimes home office if DH needs more quiet than his usual office allows.  So I don’t want to use that room now.  At the time, I really liked that location, but adult DSS moved into that room back then, so I tried the big basement rec room.  That never felt comfortable.  Too open, no privacy.  Which is how I ended up in the upstairs guest room.  Hmmm, there’s a pattern here, of people moving into my workout spaces... 🤣

OP, what are your options?

2 hours ago, Acadie said:

Basement, in view of the TV.

After Christmas it will be joined at the back of the TV room by weights and a bench.

Yeah, my dh doesn't know that's what I want next...

43 minutes ago, Spryte said:

OP, what are your options?

Well the idea of putting it in a spare room, redefining dd's old room sounds nice. That's probably more than my current scope. I really loved the sunroom idea, but I kind of have a good thing going with the baker's rack I put in there with plants. (It's a small space.) That may go on my someday when I'm old and can't walk to the basement list. 

I *think* I'm going to put it beside the treadmill in the basement, facing the tv. But to do it and be able to walk by, I have to clear out these REALLY DUSTY bookshelves filled with all kinds of glorious has beens, books I used with dd or ds or both. But I think that's where it's going to go. It's a good decluttering project I guess. I've kept the book cases there (just old things, nothing fancy) for 15 years, but I guess things have changed. It's really hard decluttering books when you don't have a reader. It's not even like they're going out on nice terms. You look at each one wondering if he'd like them in the future. (sorry, I'm whining or sentimental or both)

I can move those two little book cases into a closet or somewhere else, shake things up. Variety is good. I think it's time to think of my space a new way and the book hoarder look is the OLD way. The plump woman who works out and has exercise equipment seems to be the new look. I got a rack for my dumbbells, some new resistance bands, etc., so I'm very into it, hehe.

Ooo, I just realized if I put those two things there parallel (treadmill and bike) and toss the book cases and other clutter there, I could put a workout bench in front of them!!! It's sort of an odd space with a support beam defining it. So yeah, that could really work! And the beam pole thing turns out to be really useful, because you can wrap resistance bands around it to do exercises!

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 4

I am not pleased about it, but mine lives in our kitchen/dining room.

It was not my plan. I wanted to put it on the enclosed patio, but we realized that we looking be in Florida, meaning that even for me it would be too warm to bike much of the time. We considered buying a large fan to point at me, but then we got nervous about the leaky roof and the potential for the bike and tablet.

So, dining area it is.

34 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Yeah, my dh doesn't know that's what I want next...

Well the idea of putting it in a spare room, redefining dd's old room sounds nice. That's probably more than my current scope. I really loved the sunroom idea, but I kind of have a good thing going with the baker's rack I put in there with plants. (It's a small space.) That may go on my someday when I'm old and can't walk to the basement list. 

I *think* I'm going to put it beside the treadmill in the basement, facing the tv. But to do it and be able to walk by, I have to clear out these REALLY DUSTY bookshelves filled with all kinds of glorious has beens, books I used with dd or ds or both. But I think that's where it's going to go. It's a good decluttering project I guess. I've kept the book cases there (just old things, nothing fancy) for 15 years, but I guess things have changed. It's really hard decluttering books when you don't have a reader. It's not even like they're going out on nice terms. You look at each one wondering if he'd like them in the future. (sorry, I'm whining or sentimental or both)

I can move those two little book cases into a closet or somewhere else, shake things up. Variety is good. I think it's time to think of my space a new way and the book hoarder look is the OLD way. The plump woman who works out and has exercise equipment seems to be the new look. I got a rack for my dumbbells, some new resistance bands, etc., so I'm very into it, hehe.

Ooo, I just realized if I put those two things there parallel (treadmill and bike) and toss the book cases and other clutter there, I could put a workout bench in front of them!!! It's sort of an odd space with a support beam defining it. So yeah, that could really work! And the beam pole thing turns out to be really useful, because you can wrap resistance bands around it to do exercises!

You have a plan!!!  It sounds like a great space.  And change is good.  Yay for you!

I hope it’s just the right spot, and you get some great workouts.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Acadie said:

Basement, in view of the TV.

After Christmas it will be joined at the back of the TV room by weights and a bench.

Our elliptical is in the basement with view of TV also. And I'm trying to get dh to pick out something else like a bench for Christmas since he can't go to the gym. My dd want's him to get a squat rack.

@PeterPanif a sunroom is an option, that would get my vote. ETA: oops I missed your comment. I wouldn't give up plants in a sunroom either. Plants definitely spark joy. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

Ours is in our family room, which is the lower level of a split level house (1/2 flight down from the main level.)  It is a longish rectangle.  The TV is on one of the short walls and the couch faces it with the love seat at a right angle to it.  The couch is about 6 feet from the wall opposite the TV (better for viewing and conversing) so we have a space behind it for the exercise bike.  We used to have some homeschool bookshelves there, but since my kids are grown, we didn't need that anymore.  We have a Schwinn Airdyne, which I love, but it makes too much noise to watch regular TV.  So I watch stuff on my laptop with headphones (and the laptop is on a rolling height-adjustable table.)  Maybe someday, I'll get wireless headphones that work with the TV.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterPan said:

The plump woman who works out and has exercise equipment seems to be the new look.

Hey, this is what I'm going for too!  My exercise bike is supposed to arrive on Friday.  It is going to go in The Room Formerly Known as The Guest Room, which in recent months has become DH's office + hamster habitat + cello storage + laundry hanging, but in the New Look will be DH's office + hamster habitat + my exercise bike.  (Today I moved the cellos and the laundry into our bedroom.  DH is not crazy about having damp bras hanging in the background on zoom calls.)  

• Like 1