Menu

Favorite things

lovinmyboys

One of my groups is doing a favorite things exchange. Basically just an upgrade on necessary items or more boring ones- pens, cosmetics,  chapstick, socks, kitchen items, etc. The problem is I don’t really have any favorite things. I am realizing that lots of my things are very old and could use an upgrade. So what are some of your favorite things?

Edited by lovinmyboys
  • Like 1

I like having a candle burning most of the day.  I treated myself to Posh hand lotion and moisturizer after trying them out in the little packs.  My youngest dd loves to come in my room use my hand lotion.

I like pretty pens that flow smoothly on my planner.  Mysteriously, my pens disappear so I don’t have a favorite to recommend.

I like soft, fuzzy socks to wear around the house, and fun, colorful socks to wear out and about.

I treat myself to Mrs. Meyers cleaner to inspire me to clean.  I don’t think it cleans any better than dish soap or Mr Clean, but I enjoy the scents.

Hope those give you some ideas.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, school17777 said:

I like having a candle burning most of the day.  I treated myself to Posh hand lotion and moisturizer after trying them out in the little packs.  My youngest dd loves to come in my room use my hand lotion.

I like pretty pens that flow smoothly on my planner.  Mysteriously, my pens disappear so I don’t have a favorite to recommend.

I like soft, fuzzy socks to wear around the house, and fun, colorful socks to wear out and about.

I treat myself to Mrs. Meyers cleaner to inspire me to clean.  I don’t think it cleans any better than dish soap or Mr Clean, but I enjoy the scents.

Hope those give you some ideas.

Yes! I love how my house smells using lemon verbena spray before wiping down counters, tables, stove and other appliances. I don't do it for the extra cleaning power but use it for the wonderful smell. https://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Meyers-Clean-Day-Multi-Surface/dp/B01IQ9R37E/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=mrs+meyers+spray&qid=1605935997&sr=8-2

purple pens - these are my favorite that I try to keep stocked https://www.amazon.com/Pentel-EnerGel-Deluxe-Retractable-BL77BP3V-BC/dp/B001TDKOOO/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=purple+pen&qid=1605935227&sr=8-8

my favorite lip balm that's not thick or waxy but it really is the most moisturizing I've tried. https://www.amazon.com/Burts-Bees-Natural-Moisturizing-Conditioning/dp/B005PNAOPS/ref=psdc_979546011_t2_B01IAEZNQI

Hope you're able to find some things that will brighten your day and make you smile, lovinmyboys!

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 4

I really like my red cloth oven mitts that have silicone on the front sides. I had years of not great hot pads and oven mitts. I don't see any like mine online, but they are similar to this: https://www.jcpenney.com/p/oxo-good-grips-silicone-oven-mitt-pot-holders/ppr5007782077?pTmplType=regular&catId=SearchResults&searchTerm=oven+mitts&productGridView=medium&badge=fewleft

Flour sack dishtowels make me happy. I have really fun seasonal ones. These are fun: www.potpourrigift.com/itemdy00.aspx?T1=R0E092+JOLL and www.etsy.com/listing/849323570/christmas-towel-merry-christmas-holiday?gpla=1&gao=1&

• Like 1

Not sure these are exactly kitchen necessities, but as someone who is not at all into stuff, the one exception is I like small handmade dishes such as dipping containers, ceramic creamers, small snack bowls, custard dishes, etc. I have an eclectic mix. Some I use almost every day, others I display on my kitchen windowsill and use only occasionally, such as when we have a guest that actually uses cream or milk in tea or coffee. They bring me joy every time I use them. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Frances said:

Not sure these are exactly kitchen necessities, but as someone who is not at all into stuff, the one exception is I like small handmade dishes such as dipping containers, ceramic creamers, small snack bowls, custard dishes, etc. I have an eclectic mix. Some I use almost every day, others I display on my kitchen windowsill and use only occasionally, such as when we have a guest that actually uses cream or milk in tea or coffee. They bring me joy every time I use them. 

Me too! These are not handmade, but I actually bought some of these for my adult daughters' stockings because we girls all like little bowls (snack size and smaller): https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Pioneer-Woman-Flea-Market-8-Piece-3-12-Inch-Dip-Bowl-Set/56113116?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, iamonlyone said:

Me too! These are not handmade, but I actually bought some of these for my adult daughters' stockings because we girls all like little bowls (snack size and smaller): https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Pioneer-Woman-Flea-Market-8-Piece-3-12-Inch-Dip-Bowl-Set/56113116?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0

Those are so cute! My husband made several of mine, but he doesn’t do really small ones, custard size dishes are about his limit, as he doesn’t like do anything that can’t be made on his wheel. But whenever he sees a pottery display somewhere he likes to stop and look, so it’s a good time for me to pick up something small. I actually got to use both of my small handmade ceramic creamers this week! It’s almost enough to make me start drinking tea or coffee, even though I can’t stand the taste of either one.

• Haha 1

Smartwool socks (the PHD line if you’re going for warmth. The cute patterned socks for going out since they are thinner than I prefer for at home)  you can find previous seasons’ socks cheaper at various places  (REI outlet, socks addict, Sierra trading post, Zulily, steep and cheap, etc)

manual pencil sharpener from  https://www.classroomfriendlysupplies.com 

maybe a itunes / Google play gift card so that they can upgrade their apps from free to no-ad versions?

ETA:  microplane. A tool that looks like a veggie peeler, but has a julienne-ing blade instead. 

Edited by domestic_engineer
Typo and more ideas
  • Like 2

Ghirardelli chocolate—especially the dark chocolate mint bars

Williams Sonoma Peppermint Bark

Microplane rasp for zesting citrus fruit

Rombaur Zinfandel

Wrightsock double layer thin socks

E and O lavender liquid hand soap

Fig balsamic vinegar

Cereve daily moisturizing lotion (I use this for body lotion after my bath during dry months)

Twinings decaf chai tea bags

Good Earth herbal cinnamon tea tea bags

Dragon Well tea bags

Weird sugars—colored ones, or Demorata sugar, or lavender sugar (but I like to bake)

• Like 4

Favorite pen - black gel pen, Energel, 0.5 mm (fine but not extra-fine). This is the only pen I use at work. 

Favorite pencils - Ticonderoga. This I discovered during our homeschooling years Nd still the only kind I buy. 

Socks - Thorlo walking socks.  Expensive but so worth it! Again, the only socks I buy

Floss - OralB Glide, mint flavored

• Like 1

I love lip gloss and have tons, but this is my all-time favorite. And it’s super cheap and probably universally flattering. 

This is amazing on winter dry lips! we keep little tubes of it all around the house. they usually end up in stockings too. 

This cream is a lifesaver for me. I use it on my hands, face, and body. The little purse size one is good for tossing in your purse or travel bag.

I adore this chocolate bar. 

if you have access to an Aldi, These are also surprisingly delicious and cheap.

like other posters, I adore little cups for snacks, yogurt, nuts, dips, etc. I have two different sets of the Pioneer Woman ones, some little Fiesta fruit bowls, and some plain white ramekins. I feel like I could never have too many because I love them all!

i also love injinji toe socks, but not everyone would like them probably. I wear them with any closed toe shoes though and they really help my little toe to not get a blister. With winter boots, I wear the crew hiking ones. With my running shoes, I wear the no-show ones.  

• Like 3

With mask-wearing, I feel like my eyes are so much more in the spotlight, so I recently decided I would do more eyebrow grooming and makeup than I used to (i.e., I did basically none before.) I went to Ulta and spoke with someone who helped me choose the right product. I did not want something painted on (she called this the “Instagram brow”), but wanted something very natural but that would let my brows look darker and with no sparse patches. 

She set me up with a powder by Anastasia and a brow tool for brushing and applying the powder. I like the way this looks so much! It is now one of my favorite things in makeup. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Quill said:

With mask-wearing, I feel like my eyes are so much more in the spotlight, so I recently decided I would do more eyebrow grooming and makeup than I used to (i.e., I did basically none before.) I went to Ulta and spoke with someone who helped me choose the right product. I did not want something painted on (she called this the “Instagram brow”), but wanted something very natural but that would let my brows look darker and with no sparse patches. 

She set me up with a powder by Anastasia and a brow tool for brushing and applying the powder. I like the way this looks so much! It is now one of my favorite things in makeup. 

I’m glad you posted this! I’ve thought of trying that brand but wasn’t sure what color to choose from looking online. I currently use Gimme Brow and it’s easy and very natural looking, but I’ve heard good things about the Anastasia one. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2020 at 12:58 AM, MissLemon said:

This is my favorite lip balm, (the clear one). It smells a little like fresh lemonade to me. 

Yes, I know it's ridiculous to pay $24 for lip balm. It's the only "make up" item I buy. 

Fresh Sugar

I have a huge weakness for lip balms.  I tried this at your suggestion and just love it!  They sent me samples of some face creams that seem very good, yet oh so expensive.  Do you use any of their other products, do you think they are worth the money?  I don't buy make up either and rarely wear anything other than mascara and lip balm (always clear).   Menopause, cancer, and cancer meds are taking a toll on my skin, so it might be time to invest in a decent face cream ( I use neutrogena and/or olay now).  Thank you so much for the suggestion of the lip balm.

Beeswax candles

Nice tea in a pretty mug

Thistle Farms Lavender Lotion or Body Butter.

Smartwool socks 

Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut butter. (Way better than Nutella!)

Chili lime almonds or honey sesame cashews from Trader Joe's

Silicone spatulas from Williams Sonoma - nice long wooden handles. 

I always like new scrunchies or a thick barrette. Ditto on nice oven mitts.  Though my Ove Glove is my favorite.  More flexible because of the fingers than my silicone mitts, and I can touch anything- oven or grill with it. A nice flashlight?  We have only one decent one these days.  And it was a gift a couple years ago.  

1 hour ago, Ditto said:

I have a huge weakness for lip balms.  I tried this at your suggestion and just love it!  They sent me samples of some face creams that seem very good, yet oh so expensive.  Do you use any of their other products, do you think they are worth the money?  I don't buy make up either and rarely wear anything other than mascara and lip balm (always clear).   Menopause, cancer, and cancer meds are taking a toll on my skin, so it might be time to invest in a decent face cream ( I use neutrogena and/or olay now).  Thank you so much for the suggestion of the lip balm.

I have not tried their other products, no. I tried Elizabeth Arden's Prevage once, (had a sample), and really liked it, but it's expensive. 😒 

My "routine" is simple and cheap right now. Olay face wash, toner with salicylic acid from Paula's Choice, and lotion from either Olay or Cera Ve. I have an anti-aging serum from Peter Thomas Roth, but I have no idea if it's really doing anything, lol. 

I do like the skin care products from Paula's Choice. I read one of her books years ago and it helped me get my skin care routine sorted out so that I no longer dealt with break outs. Her products are fairly priced and the product lines don't change very often, thankfully.  It makes me crazy to find a good drug store brand and then sorry! Stopped making it, but here's a new and "improved" product instead. 😠 

• Thanks 1

Here are some “little luxuries” that I’ve enjoyed over the years:

Bombas footie socks w/grippers

Small purse size bottle of hand sanitizer from Bath & Body Works - I like the fresh scents and they have yummy seasonal scents, too

Micron pens for Bible Study

Moleskine notebooks

Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm (I found this just recently)

personalized note cards - available online, shop around for good prices

Edited by TechWife
  • Thanks 1

I bought a great potato peeler a few years ago that makes peeling potatoes and carrots a breeze!

Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CT3RZQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also recently discovered Kiehl's facial cream a few months ago, and I love it!  So light and hydrating for these dry winter months.  I bought the smallest size container (.95 ounce) and it's still a good supply.  (I have the Ultra Facial Cream.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I have not tried their other products, no. I tried Elizabeth Arden's Prevage once, (had a sample), and really liked it, but it's expensive. 😒 

My "routine" is simple and cheap right now. Olay face wash, toner with salicylic acid from Paula's Choice, and lotion from either Olay or Cera Ve. I have an anti-aging serum from Peter Thomas Roth, but I have no idea if it's really doing anything, lol. 

I do like the skin care products from Paula's Choice. I read one of her books years ago and it helped me get my skin care routine sorted out so that I no longer dealt with break outs. Her products are fairly priced and the product lines don't change very often, thankfully.  It makes me crazy to find a good drug store brand and then sorry! Stopped making it, but here's a new and "improved" product instead. 😠 

Thank you!   I have heard of Paul's Choice but never checked into it.  I will now.  There has to be a great moisturizer that isn't so darn expensive. You are right, it is really hard to find a drug store brand that doesn't eventually screw up their product by "improving" it.   I will also look into the serum you mentioned.  

8 hours ago, TechWife said:

Bombas footie socks w/grippers

I hadn’t replied because I couldn’t think of anything that I really, really love and would recommend.  I can’t believe I forgot about Bombas!  They are the best socks I have ever worn.  I buy them every year now and since I gave my grandfather a pair when he needed dry socks he has requested them for a Christmas gift.  They are the first socks everyone in the house digs through the sock basket for.  I highly recommend them!  The fact that for every pair purchased they donate a pair to the homeless is great, too.  

• Like 1

I have a new favorite thing: Betabrand dress pants yoga pants with 7 pockets. They had (but may now be sold out) a charming pattern that looks, at a glance, like houndstooth, but is actually a tessellation of black and white cats. It’s called “catstooth”. The pants themselves are absolutely dreamy to wear; they look good and are literally as comfortable as leggings. 

0FF20106-1D91-47CE-8D8D-1351C02985E1.jpeg

8B3F90D9-90FC-404D-800D-BD1BD5A165B4.jpeg

Edited by Quill
Add pics
  • Like 6