Menu

I can't believe I have a child this blonde

kayleelew

I know genetics can be unpredictable, but I just think it's so funny his dad and I both have jet black hair and yet we ended up with this little blondie. People are always pointing out the contrast and for the most part we have fun with it. Then I'll see a picture like this that makes even me go "Wow!"

(Random, but thanks for letting me share - super bored right now, lol. 😁)

*removed*

Edited by kayleelew
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

DS had surfer blond hair when he was little, even though both of us have dark hair. Year by year it got darker, as expected, but I sure do love the photos from that time. He did get to keep the blue eyes though (that neither DH Nor I have). 🙂 

• Like 2

I have a funny story regarding hair color in children.  When dh and I were dating but already talking marriage and kids he made some comment about picturing having a bunch of little blonde kids.  I thought that was odd as his hair is dark brown and mine is medium brown and there none of out siblings are blonde.  So I ask why would you picture them as blondes.  His response is to stare at my hair like I'm crazy.  That is when I realized he didn't know I dyed my hair blonde. I laughed pretty hard.  But ultimately, he got the last laugh because 4 of our 6 children were blondes through toddler hood.  Now only one is a blonde.  The other three have my color hair which only gets blonde highlights in the summer.

• Like 3

My youngest sister is the only blonde in our family of 8.  Though most of us were blonde-ish as tots.

We know sister gets her blonde hair from my dad's mom.  But still, the contrast is interesting within our nuclear family.  Similar to the height contrast - all the guys are 5'7-5'8 except one brother who is at least 6'0.

Edited by SKL

I find genetics so fascinating ... but I've had to censor many of my thoughts since my kids were adopted.  Though, on the other hand, that provides opportunities for discussion.  Like, it's interesting to know things their birth moms enjoyed or struggled with, that appear to have been inherited.

toe heads.

Towheads. Tow is another word for straw flax or hemp, or apparently "An untwisted bundle of fibers such as cellulose acetate, flax, hemp or jute. "  The image of people having toes on their heads is too funny 🙂

And like most people here, I assume that if both parents have darker hair it's likely the kid's hair will darken too as he gets older. It happened to both me and my sister - she started out blond and turned dishwater, I started out mousy and ended up with a nice dark brown. (Actually happened to my father too, but then we went white really early so you couldn't tell!)

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 2

My brothers had blonde hair when they were little. The oldest ended up with dark, dark brown hair. The other two had brownish hair by the time they were teens. Eventually, two of the three shaved their heads because they were going bald by their early 30s.

One if my boys was a towhead but now has light brown hair. I still refer to my two oldest girls as blondes, but eldest is more dishwater blonde now & #2 has light brown hair that gets lighter highlights if she's been swimming.

I surprised my parents on arrival by being blonde with a very light complexion. My oldest sister was very dark, olive skin, black hair. The next sister had coal black dark eyes at birth and jet black hair.  (Both of my parents had very dark hair, though my mother has blue eyes.) My hair did turn brunette once I hit puberty. But then my youngest sister had blonde hair, light skin and beautiful blue eyes; her hair remained blonde. My brother had light brown hair and blue eyes. So yeah, definitely some surprising genes in there. 

And apparently I carried recessive blue eyes and so does dh because my youngest got blue eyes in the genetics lottery. 

12 hours ago, klmama said:

OP, was your hair blonde when you were little?  I've known several people whose blonde hair changed to black as they matured, and then they had blonde children. It's quite startling to see them together.

No, my hair has always been black. Same with my husband. Then this little guy comes along looking like a baby chick. 😁

• Like 1

I have dark hair, brown eyes, dh med brown hair hazel eyes.  First born light blonde hair, blue eyes.  The first day I went to get him from Mothers day out the lady looked at him, looked at me and said "he cannot be our baby".  She did give him to me.  My nana was also shocked the first time she saw him, she couldn't get over the blonde hair.   Child #2 had dark hair and beautiful sky blue eyes.  #3&4 look more like they belong to me, dark bair, Brown eyes.  You never know.

Edited by lynn

I have the full spectrum. White blond like that (funny note my white blond young man? He had the blackest hair of all my kids at birth!), light blond, brown, black and red.  Brown eyes, blue eyes, grey eyes, green eyes. Freckles, dimples, neither, over 6 ft and 5’3”.

But you know what everyone always says?

”All your kids look so much alike!!”

um  except not at all? LOL

ETA:

me: ave height, light brown curl hair blue eyes (but I was very blond as a child)

dh: ave height, red hair, brown eyes

both sets of our parents are straight black hair.  My dad had blue eyes, mom green, both his parents brown eyes. 

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 1

Adorable picture!

I was the blonde little girl with rather old parents with dark brown hair.  Everyone asked if I was adopted......so rude.  As a teen I ran into a picture of my mom pregnant in a house I knew they didn’t move to until a couple years befor I was born, I was secretly thrilled......I have two much older brothers and one had light hair as a very young child which was almost 20 years before me, and his pictures were all black and white.