Menu

What's for dinner on a very hot day?

Ali in OR

Just trying to think ahead to Saturday when we might hit 100°. I don't want to grill. I don't want to heat up the house too much. I don't really want to work too hard. What are some of your go-to heat wave meals? Ideas so far:

• breakfast for dinner (but this is usually our Tuesday plan)
  • paninis on the George Forman grill
  • cereal or ice cream (I don't think I can really get away with this for dh)

I'd precook some bacon and then have BLT's when it's too hot to cook.  Or gyros, or other sandwiches/subs.  Huge salad with cold chicken.  Tacos (again can precook the meat when it's cooler).  Make something in the instapot (full meal or just use it heat up some frozen meatballs and make meatball sandwiches). 

• Like 5

I might cook some pasta on the side burner of my grill for cold pasta salad.  Or heat the water quickly in my electric kettle and use the absorption method. https://lifehacker.com/you-don-t-need-to-boil-your-pasta-just-the-water-1750491260

Otherwise the cheese, sausage, fruit and veggie platter...which we fondly call "Opa's lunch" around here. 

• Like 1

When we have a string of hot days coming up, I'll make 6-8 salad-ish things that we will eat for lunches and dinners in whatever combo each prefers.  There are endless possibilities but some are listed below.  I try to make 2 of them higher protein and/or will beef up the green salad with hard boiled eggs, cheese, nuts, avocado, etc.....  Most will keep for several days in the fridge so we can graze as needed without ANY cooking.

Tomato-basil-mozz salad

Green salad

Potato Salad

Baba Ganoush

Deviled eggs

Stuffed grape leaves

Cucumber salad

Hummus

Black bean caviar

Tabouli

Pasta salad

Quinoa salad

Gaspacho

Fruit salad

Guacamole

• Like 3

I find having something like taco meat in my crock pot doesn't seem as "hot" in the kitchen as something on the stove or in the oven.  I also find people just don't want to eat as much hot and heavy food.  We eat a lot of fruit when it gets really hot.  One of my kids' favorites is a dip made with peanut butter and and yogurt with apples slices for dippers.  We also eat a lot of cold chicken salad (DH eats tuna salad).  We also often have cold fried chicken with potato salad, cole slaw, or fruit.  

• Like 2

1) Pesto pasta salad with rotisserie chicken, peas, and tomatoes

2) Chipotle slaw - 1 bag (or more) of red cabbage slaw, shredded rotisserie chicken, and 1/4 c Parmesan cheese tossed with chipotle vinaigrette (1 canned chipotle pepper, 2 tbsp balsamic vinager, 1/4-1/2c olive oil, salt to taste) served with chips and sliced avocado (or toss the avocado in if your people are not like my picky people).

2) The Silver Palate recipe with tomatoes, garlic, basil, and Brie.

All make good leftovers.  Eat cold or room temperature, except the last one.

Edited by medawyn
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Do you have an air fryer?  Ours doesn't seem to heat up the house.  I've been doing a lot of sausage and veggies in there.

Oh yeah, we use our air fryer a lot when it’s hot. It makes the perfect corn on the cob. 🙂 

• Like 2

These salads sound wonderful, with some kind of sandwiches because I do have picky eaters too. Please @skimomma, make me some baba ganoush (I looked at a recipe once and found it intimidating), and @medawyn the chipotle slaw sounds wonderful, so if you two could just drop those by my house in Oregon, that would be great!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

These salads sound wonderful, with some kind of sandwiches because I do have picky eaters too. Please @skimomma, make me some baba ganoush (I looked at a recipe once and found it intimidating), and @medawyn the chipotle slaw sounds wonderful, so if you two could just drop those by my house in Oregon, that would be great!

Ha ha!  It really isn't as hard to make as it looks.  I use this simple recipe:  https://minimalistbaker.com/simple-baba-ganoush/

I do char my eggplant over a BBQ.  But I char HUGE batches all at one time and freeze because I end up with a million eggplants and this is the only way my family will eat it.  I for sure do not recommend turning on a broiler in hot weather!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skimomma said:

I do char my eggplant over a BBQ.  But I char HUGE batches all at one time and freeze because I end up with a million eggplants and this is the only way my family will eat it.  I for sure do not recommend turning on a broiler in hot weather!

Do you use the skinny eggplant or the fat ones?

I use my crock pot a lot. It's easy and it doesn't heat up the kitchen.  Plus I don't necessarily differentiate between cold/hot weather food (we probably grill most often in colder months).  

We're having salsa verde chicken today, served shredded in burrito bowls. Rice will be the only thing I really have to cook later. I did make a Mexican street corn-inspired salad; it's already in the fridge, ready to go. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I use my crock pot a lot. It's easy and it doesn't heat up the kitchen.  Plus I don't necessarily differentiate between cold/hot weather food (we probably grill most often in colder months).  

We're having salsa verde chicken today, served shredded in burrito bowls. Rice will be the only thing I really have to cook later. I did make a Mexican street corn-inspired salad; it's already in the fridge, ready to go. 

Sometimes I plug my crockpot or roaster out on my deck. No heat in the house!

• Like 2

Snooty cheese platter our ploughman's lunch? However you brand it you won't heat up the kitchen.  We like to do a baguette, or crackers a few cheeses, some pickled veggies, some good mustard, some sort of meat (roast beef or ham or salami or pepperoni), and occasionally a smoked seafood (oysters or salmon).  I like to have seasonal fruit with it and maybe some hard boiled eggs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carriede said:

Chicken, potatoes, and carrots in a slow cooker, but put the slow cooker IN THE GARAGE (or on a porch) to keep the heat out.

My dh sets up a little metal table on the deck and we plug the crockpot up out there. I am embarrassed it took me too many years to think of it. I have also cooked on our electric griddle outside on the little table.

We also have "salad bar" if it's too hot. I put all of the separate ingredients out with different dressing choices and everyone builds their own salad. I am so uncreative that one time I took a picture of a salad bar so that I would remember what types of things to put out! haha

tortilla rollups/subs- put out choices of lunch meat, cheeses, veg and condiments, and everyone builds their own.

Several of us are "sensitive" to heat (me mostly) so by making everything build your own, those of us who don't like to eat heavy/much food can have what we like while those whose appetites aren't bothered by the heat can load up.

Edited by saraha
  • Like 1

When I was growing up, my mom would sometimes make a fruit salad for supper. She would cut up several different fruits -- berries, pineapple, bananas, grapes -- but instead of mixing them together, she would arrange them around the edge of a dinner plate and then put a scoop of sherbet in the middle. It was fun to see how each type of fruit tasted with the sherbet.

This all-carb meal won't work for me anymore, so I haven't had it in a long time, but it was yum.

Another idea from my childhood -- cut a tomato into wedges but not all the way through, so that the tomato stays together, but you can splay out the wedges, so that it looks like a flower. Then fill the inside with tuna salad.

• Like 1