Menu

What are your Young Adults doing socially?

Familia

We have YA’s living here and afar.  From the beginning, ours have had the feeling that they want to keep others healthy since they themselves were a low-risk group.  They have been able to do school and work at home.  But, socially, I see more restlessness; seeing them get together for jogs and workouts, and ready to get going, even if that means with masks.  Overall.  But, I am wondering if YA’s are getting together socially more than we realize in private homes, etc.  What is the experience with your family?

Nothing out of the house.

Mine is 18.

She went to work for 3 hours for the first time since early march this week.

She and her friends have been incredibly creative though. They've had Zoom tea parties, yesterday they had a "political debate" with each of them dressing up and posing as leaders of fictitious countries over Zoom.

They also have a Zoom book club.

All of her friends live at home, so I'm sure that influences the fact that they're not getting together in person much. 

Ds has been in his off campus apartment with his roommate (they are high school friends). I'm not positive but I think a few of their high school friends have probably visited a few times. Most are living back at home because they were in dorms that closed. I think they've all been careful and it's a small group of friends. Ds will be coming home next week when online classes finish to stay for a bit and then he'll probably go back and they'll all hang out from time to time still.

11 minutes ago, wintermom said:

My YA and teens have been socializing via computer games and on-line chat.

College girl has been doing this since the dorms closed. She would love to have a small group of friends to hang with in person.

The rest of my teens have been socializing strictly with each other.

College kid has a Zoom social life--her college friends live all over the country. High school kid does the usual snapchat I think. Digital contact only, whatever the current platform is. I'm glad they have each other. They share a small bedroom and spend many hours a day in there, but haven't had any fighting. College kid has corrupted high school kid to her sleep schedule, which is quite different from mine. I know someone took a bath last night at 1 am (sounds of the filling tub woke me), and as college kid has no Friday classes, I expect them to sleep until 11 or 12.

Not a YA, but my 16 yo ds has really really been struggling. He has not seen his friends since the stay at home order, but unfortunately, many of his friends have still been getting together to socialize. He does play video games at night with his friends, which helps a lot, but he is desperately missing the in-person interaction. Our state is beginning to open up, so dh and I are trying to decide what to allow moving forward. Sadly, I don’t trust this group of kids to social distance, so it is hard to figure out what to do. 

• Like 1

Ds plays online games with his friends every night (for most of the night). Since his classes have finished, though, he's looking for a job which will likely impact that. Dd talks to her friends on the phone, but goes to work every second or third day, so she's seeing other people. She would have a very difficult time if she couldn't interact with other people. Oldest dd, who doesn't live at home, sees others only when necessary, but volunteers as much as she can, so she's in and around other people. She can't do a lot of screen time because it causes her headaches.

• Like 1

Mine are in constant communication with their friends, but haven’t seen them in person since early March. They’re not planning to see them anytime soon, as our shelter in place order goes through the end of May. My three are close in age and get along fairly well, and I’m thankful that they are good company for each other.

DD has had some zoom sessions with friends; they have had ZOOM talent shows and some other activities.  They are recently out of college and spread out, all over the world.  Many do not know too many people where they are living and so their only contact with other people is virtual.

DS has been able to get together with a friend to skateboard and do a few other things.  Tonight he and one friend will be going to a drive in movie.

1 hour ago, Just Kate said:

Not a YA, but my 16 yo ds has really really been struggling. He has not seen his friends since the stay at home order, but unfortunately, many of his friends have still been getting together to socialize. He does play video games at night with his friends, which helps a lot, but he is desperately missing the in-person interaction. Our state is beginning to open up, so dh and I are trying to decide what to allow moving forward. Sadly, I don’t trust this group of kids to social distance, so it is hard to figure out what to do. 

DD19 spend hours on FaceTime with her friends each day.  She definitely misses seeing them in person.  Not sure what we are going to do once our SIP orders end.  Her best friend goes back to her retail job mid-May, so it is a big risk that she will be exposed.  I don't know what we are going to do about that.  We won't stop DD from seeing her friends once the SIP order ends, of course, but we might have to have her distance herself from us once she starts doing so.

• Like 2

DS17 plays video games with friends pretty much every night, including his BFF who lives far away. Its usually hard for them to coordinate time that works for both of them, so the ability right now for them to connect has been really nice.. 
Other than that, he texts with friends quite a lot during the day, I think, and on occasion he and a couple of his groups will have zoom chats (like his quiz bowl group, and others). 
He hasn’t seen anyone irl since March and isn’t eager to. I mean, he misses his friends terribly, but he won’t be willing to take any unnecessary risks. 

In person? Nothing.

Ds is at his dad’s with some of his brothers.
My teens (nearly 17 and 18 this month) have been on a small number of fire department calls, but there’s no real socializing allowed at the station afterward the way there usually is. 

It’s all internet and making the best out of having multiple siblings.

My 18yo DS (senior due to a "gap year") is out and about, no mask, and I imagine no social distancing. He is selling weed and G-d only knows what else.  If not out being entrepreneurial (!), he's in his bed and chilling with YT and etc.   His best friend (a freshman in college) living with us part time now (when he's not with his father (cancer patient) and grandparents (lots of conditions).  His mother and he were not getting along and we decided to take him in. My 16yo DS is 95% online with friends (mostly a good friend in Israel who is even more isolated than ours is) and 5% taking walks with other masked schoolmates.   My 13yo daughter is on the phone, Zoom, Google Hangouts a lot more than ever before.  Sometimes a friend comes over and they chit chat from far away or she goes to a friend with a big yard (we live in Boston proper) and sits and talks.  My 10yo DS is the worst off.  His friends don't want to videochat.  So we are his social life right now and the older kids are making trouble for him at times (other times they play and have fun with him).

We all wear the Totobobo mask (F96 filtration) except the oldest who is too smart and cool to wear one.  We'll see what happens now that we in MA are mandated to wear a mask/face covering as of next week.

Edited by YaelAldrich
  • Sad 1

Mine kept her college apartment. She’s working at a Korean restaurant, finishing her last college classes, and teaching public HS English online (with all the prep and grading that goes with that.)  The HS where she’s student teaching really liked her adaptability during the shut-down and has offered her a position next school year. She also spends time with her BF (who works in several theaters and has been benched for the foreseeable future.) 

She’s staying busy, but WE can’t see her because her brother is too high risk. I miss her desperately, but she’s happier than she’d be locked in with us. 

They finished their classes and decided to sign up for online summer classes for something to do.  Apparently they are also going to be working with a professor to write/research a paper......both kids are in the same graduate program.  They zoom with friends a few times a week.  It’s pretty quiet......long bike ride most days.  Our county is loosening some but our household probably won’t look much different.