Menu

Anyone else with PS'ers that have NO assignments

Soror

My son is in 9th this year, they have been out since March 16th with what started out as planned spring break and then was extended 3 weeks. They were due to go back April 6th but just today we received word they will not be going back until May 1st (which we all no isn't likely but whatever). Now, the school sent out links to educational websites for enrichment purposes and I've heard word there are packets being handed out for elementary school but ds has no assignments at all. The list they gave for highschool is a generic list of free education websites. They said teachers may have some specific links but looking on schoology and google classroom there is nothing at all. Ds used IXL some for Math but there aren't assignments marked and ds is no help, his memory on anything is vague and at this point he's been out 2 weeks. I'm very frustrated to say the least and trying to figure what to do with him. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

Our situation is similar, except our extension is until April 26th and then re-evaluated. My son is also 9th grade. He is getting some schoolwork this week, but, to my chagrin, the teachers keep saying these things are optional. I keep telling ds they are NOT optional from MY perspective. I mean, he’s gotta do *something*. That is my main frustration. I understand 100% why it is disorganized and inconsistent between different teachers but I really, really wish we just had a clear-cut, cohesive set of instructions so I can make him truly do school in a consistent way. 

I’m hoping it will be better by next Monday as this week has been very spluttering to get going remotely. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Quill said:

Our situation is similar, except our extension is until April 26th and then re-evaluated. My son is also 9th grade. He is getting some schoolwork this week, but, to my chagrin, the teachers keep saying these things are optional. I keep telling ds they are NOT optional from MY perspective. I mean, he’s gotta do *something*. That is my main frustration. I understand 100% why it is disorganized and inconsistent between different teachers but I really, really wish we just had a clear-cut, cohesive set of instructions so I can make him truly do school in a consistent way. 

I’m hoping it will be better by next Monday as this week has been very spluttering to get going remotely. 

I'd be doing the same if there were assignments. I don't understand how all these other places can figure it out but we can't. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Some schools are making assignments optional for equity reasons. In those cases significant numbers of students don’t have access to adequate technology, so rather than have graded work that only some students are able to complete schools are making this a time of non-graded, optional “enrichment” learning until they can find ways to get a larger percentage of students on board. 

• Like 6

Just now, meena said:

Some schools are making assignments optional for equity reasons. In those cases significant numbers of students don’t have access to adequate technology, so rather than have graded work that only some students are able to complete schools are making this a time of non-graded, optional “enrichment” learning until they can find ways to get a larger percentage of students on board. 

I can understand that and wouldn't mind that so much but instead we are doing nothing at all for anyone. 

Wow. I’m sorry. 😞

My high school junior has SO MUCH work. He is essentially teaching himself 4 AP classes, plus doing all work and quizzes and meeting all deadlines...plus studying for SAT tests that will be held who-knows-when and preparing for AP exams... 

I wonder how the gap for some grades and locations will be addressed in the next year or two. It’s definitely going to have a profound effect, particularly for schools/districts/states that are just *done*. How do students move on if they haven’t completed the work? 

If you want work for your student, Google the grade + the course title + "syllabus" + textbook publisher if you have it. Or course title + "scope and sequence." That will give you at least a sequential topic listing.

For example, "9th grade biology syllabus Holt" gave me https://www.peoriapublicschools.org/cms/lib2/IL01001530/Centricity/Domain/107/Biology Syllabus.pdf

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, soror said:

I can understand that and wouldn't mind that so much but instead we are doing nothing at all for anyone. 

If you’re looking for something structured and already put together rather than just a list of websites, have you considered doing something like Easy Peasy for now? Or if your son is capable have him take a Modern States course? That doesn’t solve the problem of courses already in progress not being continued, but it would at least allow for a sequence of learning to be in place. 

• Like 2

Pretty much.  

My high schooler has always had trouble doing math on a computer and I have ordered a math book for him.  

He does have “enrichment activities” but they are “not for grades.”  

It seems to be working well for English but other than that, a shambles, and his English was much better in person.  

• Like 1

As awful as it was, I'm so glad my 10th grader basically had a nervous breakdown that resulted in us pulling her out of school in October.  She's currently taking three classes at the community college, but they transitioned easily to online format.  She despises it, but it's at least a smooth transition compared to the crap storm that the public high school she was attending is doing, in which kids basically have to teach themselves content and assignments are graded, but they still will have to complete summer school.  It's a mess.  My 8th grader is struggling to finish earth science and algebra for high school credit, but civics and English are (this week, at least; the policy has changed every single week) being graded only for completion and "effort."  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, meena said:

Our public schools have given out hot spots to anyone who doesn't have internet access at home.

• Like 3

My children have a full day of school work every day.  

My charter schooled child must be online at his regular class time as most of his classes are live.  His work looks to be on par with what he was doing prior to the school shutdown.  He looks cute in his school shirt and pajama pants.  

My public schooled child may log in at any time of the day, but he must log into the day's classes at some point each day.  The work is new, graded, and parents are contacted if a student does not turn it in.  The only exception is that seniors who have completed enough credits to graduate may contact their counselors and graduate as of the end of 3rd quarter.  (They completed this quarter a week before shutdown.)  

I have nieces and nephews in other states.  In one state, the students had an extra long spring break but have resumed school.  They have been told that the online work can help their GPAs but will not harm it.   Relatives in another state report that their students have not done schoolwork in several weeks and they have had no word on when or if schooling will resume.

• Like 1

The first two weeks were good b/c DD had serious work for each class but her history teacher is now PISSED that he can't keep teaching. The district made everything optional for the next two weeks with teachers having one "office hour" a day. I really hope they are using this time to get their shit together.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

If you want work for your student, Google the grade + the course title + "syllabus" + textbook publisher if you have it. Or course title + "scope and sequence." That will give you at least a sequential topic listing.

For example, "9th grade biology syllabus Holt" gave me https://www.peoriapublicschools.org/cms/lib2/IL01001530/Centricity/Domain/107/Biology Syllabus.pdf

Ds only uses textbooks for 2 courses, those are online of course. The teacher only releases part of the textbook at a time but ds thinks you can look on there to find out what book they use. 

23 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I tutor some ps students. No assignments. Elementary, middle or high school.

They are giving packets for the younger ones and they even have a list of objectives for the younger grades but not for High School. I'd love a list of objectives. The higher the grades the less info they have.

2 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

The first two weeks were good b/c DD had serious work for each class but her history teacher is now PISSED that he can't keep teaching. The district made everything optional for the next two weeks with teachers having one "office hour" a day. I really hope they are using this time to get their shit together.

I was hoping that our superintendent was using this time to have them work on getting online stuff together but it doesn't appear that is the case. So far it seems he's had his head in the sand and stayed in denial that this was going to happen.

I don't understand the logic that says we cannot make assignments because not all students have internet access when all students are required to use a Chromebook for their assignments. Chromebooks don't work at all without internet, so how do they expect them to cope the rest of the year?

3 minutes ago, soror said:

I don't understand the logic that says we cannot make assignments because not all students have internet access when all students are required to use a Chromebook for their assignments. Chromebooks don't work at all without internet, so how do they expect them to cope the rest of the year?

At our district, many kids used wifi at school and/ or went to the public libraries.  But those are closed now, too.  

Just now, Terabith said:

At our district, many kids used wifi at school and/ or went to the public libraries.  But those are closed now, too.  

The library is closed here but has the wifi open. Wifi at the school won't help with homework after school, they don't seem concerned about that.

Just now, soror said:

Many students in our area do not have internet and rely heavily on the libraries for computers and/or wifi.  Also all the schools provide computer labs and wifi for students to use if they cannot complete online assignment at home.

Currently, the libraries are closed, but they are advertising that their wifi works in some areas of their parking lots.  Still, there are going to be many students with working parents who will be stuck at home either due to transportation or because they have to watch younger siblings.  Even if they have a school-issued Chromebook, they will not be able to get online.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, soror said:

The library is closed here but has the wifi open. Wifi at the school won't help with homework after school, they don't seem concerned about that.

In our district (which is about 85% free lunch), students who don't have internet access stay after school to do homework using school wifi.  There is an activity bus that takes kids home at 5:30 pm.  (Only 8th-12th graders are given school computers.)  A lot of these students can't get to library parking lots, since public transportation is significantly cut down, plus many of the high schoolers are providing child care for younger siblings.  

ETA:  Our local area is giving families with school aged kids free internet for the rest of the school year, and elementary kids can get work via packets, in theory.  I'm told in practice they may not be able to get them.  It's a significant issue, because even middle class families with internet don't necessarily have enough devices for all of their kids to use their own.

Edited by Terabith

Just now, soror said:

Many high school students in our area hang out at the schools long after classes are over.  They have clubs, sports, and are able to use the computer labs and wifi for school work or recreation.

• Like 1

Our school/district still issues actual textbooks. Both of my kids have their at home. They can issue actual assignments out of the textbooks. The crap they sent home for DS this week was only a week's worth of work. I basically blocked his schedule (they're all non-graded projects) and came up with some alternative assignments to flesh out next week. After that, it's "spring break". Nothing will be forthcoming at that time. Most of DS's teachers use google classroom but the Band teacher wants to use flip grid. I can't figure out how to upload DS's practice videos at all on that thing. Giant cluster...and this is a district with solid teaching and good schools/programs. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Terabith said:

In our district (which is about 85% free lunch), students who don't have internet access stay after school to do homework using school wifi.  There is an activity bus that takes kids home at 5:30 pm.  (Only 8th-12th graders are given school computers.)  A lot of these students can't get to library parking lots, since public transportation is significantly cut down, plus many of the high schoolers are providing child care for younger siblings.  

No activity bus here and there is no public transportation at any time, anyone after school would have to have someone that could pick them up as our school is not in a residential area. I don't understand how kids do homework the rest of the time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Our school/district still issues actual textbooks. Both of my kids have their at home. They can issue actual assignments out of the textbooks. The crap they sent home for DS this week was only a week's worth of work. I basically blocked his schedule (they're all non-graded projects) and came up with some alternative assignments to flesh out next week. After that, it's "spring break". Nothing will be forthcoming at that time. Most of DS's teachers use google classroom but the Band teacher wants to use flip grid. I can't figure out how to upload DS's practice videos at all on that thing. Giant cluster...and this is a district with solid teaching and good schools/programs. 

I've been pleased with ds' classes so far, really I think they do a good job but the superintendent's handling of this has been crap. He has been in denial, days before they announced school was cancelled he sent out a memo basically saying the flu was worse. 

Our district has said that students can go to the high school parking lot and download stuff from WiFi.  

So that is something they are trying to do for students who don’t have good Internet.

I think it leaves out a lot of kids.

I think it’s to the point that the teachers would be holding class for like 5 kids in a class.  I agree it’s to the point it’s ridiculous.

If it were more like — most kids could do it, I would think “yeah, do something for most of the kids.” 

Here it seems like most kids don’t have home Internet or are trying to do stuff on a phone with data limits.  

There is just spotty Internet in this area.  I don’t think a WiFi hot spot would solve this problem when there just is not good access.  There are places where cell phones don’t have service.  

For one of my younger kids, only 5 kids (including her) have ever made a comment on the Google Classroom.  Her teacher said “if enough kids are on I would set up a zoom meeting.”  Not enough kids are on it.  I think it is ridiculous if there are 5 kids who are even able to get on to Google Classroom at all.  I would think it was worth it for 15 or 20 kids but not for 5.  

Well we are in a rural, high-poverty district.  I have been very happy with the schools here prior to this, though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soror said:

I've been pleased with ds' classes so far, really I think they do a good job but the superintendent's handling of this has been crap. He has been in denial, days before they announced school was cancelled he sent out a memo basically saying the flu was worse. 

Yep. Same. DD's teachers are awesome. I went to a school safety meeting TWO DAYS before the closure and the district staff were TOTALLY in denial. They had no answers for any of the questions I asked. This area is heavily influenced by Regent U and I think people were not listening to the right news sources.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

We are still going back on April 17th, on paper, so there hasn’t been any sense of “here is what the rest of the year looks like.”  It’s still more like “we can figure out missing 3 weeks (because one week was Spring Break anyway)” and on paper that hasn’t changed.

My kids do not understand that I (and my husband) think they are unlikely to go back for two months.  Maybe they will go back in June (schools run through the 3rd week of June here) but I doubt it.  

• Like 2

I think they expected it to go better here.  A lot of kids stayed after school and took an activity bus home, for “homework club.”  I think those are kids who don’t have internet access at home now.  Or some of them at least.  

They were already using Google Classroom.  

I don’t really know.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, cbollin said:

Would it help anyone to access School on TV in Memphis? https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/news/education/

maybe it could help give some of your students some structure even though it won't match their school stuff. In Memphis I guess the access is in various ways with tv channel and internet.

I found my 11th grader watching 4th grade English the other day. I think she’s enjoying the peek into how the non-homeschooled world works.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, meena said:

I know that is the reason; they are also trying to get laptops out to kids who don’t have one and I’m sure they don’t want to give assignments until everyone has access. 

But I wish the teachers would not tell the students it’s optional! I wish they would communicate that only to the parents; that way, the parents would know their kid isn’t going to be disadvantaged because they don’t have a laptop, but the smart @ssed kids like mine would not just shrug and say, “She said it’s optional.” *banging my head*

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

The problem with this is that it makes it seem like what kids living in poverty, or challenging circumstances, or who have disabilities need is equitable access to grades.  I mean they do, but more than that they need equitable access to education!  I know that providing it is challenging, but I'm seeing lots of creative solutions.  On the other hand, some districts don't seem to be trying.  Instead they're providing instruction, but saying it's enrichment, and acting like that absolves them of any responsibility to the most vulnerable kids.  

Then, when kids go back, the gap is going to be bigger, and parents who were able to support their kids doing whatever got sent home are going to expect that the content isn't retaught.  

My kids aren't in PS (we homeschool/dual enroll), but from what I've read and heard from friends the schools in my area seem to be trying to bridge the gap. An internet provider is giving free access, including installation to any students who need it, and schools are distributing Chromebooks. I'm in a large metro area, though, with plenty of resources and county tax dollars to make this happen. In poorer cities and counties with low tax bases it's not like they have huge coffers to go purchase the resources needed to equip huge numbers of students at the drop of a hat. So I wonder how much is not trying and how much is having their hands tied financially or bureaucratically.

I agree that those kids are already disadvantaged, and this situation will only widen that gap. I hope this opens people's eyes to the disparity that continues in education even when kids are in school and seeming to have equal opportunities. I was talking to my husband about this equity issue, and he couldn't believe there are kids without internet and/or a computer at home. Before I had kids I was an ELA teacher in a mostly poor, rural school so I have more of an inside view these realities; I wonder how many people are like my husband  (and myself at many times) and don't realize their privilege.

2 hours ago, meena said:

If you’re looking for something structured and already put together rather than just a list of websites, have you considered doing something like Easy Peasy for now? Or if your son is capable have him take a Modern States course? That doesn’t solve the problem of courses already in progress not being continued, but it would at least allow for a sequence of learning to be in place. 

This is pretty much what I'm doing around the assignments given by our school (not enough)

Mom (me) has decided she wants certain things she wants her kids to learn so my kids continue to move forward. So after the review assignments assigned by the school, I have a course of work for them to complete as well. 

My son (7th grade) is getting adequate work in some subjects and not in others. So I fill in the gap.

My daughter (3rd) isn't really getting adequate work at all. So I have put higher emphasis on my work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quill said:

I know that is the reason; they are also trying to get laptops out to kids who don’t have one and I’m sure they don’t want to give assignments until everyone has access. 

But I wish the teachers would not tell the students it’s optional! I wish they would communicate that only to the parents; that way, the parents would know their kid isn’t going to be disadvantaged because they don’t have a laptop, but the smart @ssed kids like mine would not just shrug and say, “She said it’s optional.” *banging my head*

Especially for high schoolers they may expect that the student is managing their own education rather than the parents. I know when I was in high school, my mom was completely hands off--not a parenting technique I recommend but that was my reality.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Same. These are high school kids where each student already has a school-assigned laptop or ipad.

Parents have been THRILLED when I've made up assignments / projects for the kids.

Mine are a 50/50 split. The parents of younger kids have been more eager for help.

• Like 1

Here it is often compulsory for each child to bring their own approved device at primary level and almost always at high school level.  We went into lockdown 2 weeks and two days before the end of the first term but school shut 2 days before that.  The schools did cobble something together for two days then the holidays were brought forward 2 weeks.  It is probably easier for the teachers but for the kids and parents it would have been easier to do 2 weeks on line then two weeks break and then we should know what is happening as it initially for a month.  I think the schools will be shut longer but if I could go back to work 2 part days a week and work alone plus not worry about being stopped by the police going to the supermarket I am happy to forgo cafes, takeaways, extracurriculars and church for as long as it takes.

There is an unavoidable internet access problem and kids who don't need them for school probably don't have access to adequate devices.  Driving to and hanging round in a carpark would not be allowed.

Edited by kiwik
  • Like 1

My kids are in ps with an online charter school.  Things just kept going as normal.  I was so thankful they were in school.   I haven't paid attention to what the school district in our town is doing.  I talked to a friend in the same state and in that district they have had nothing from March 13 until April 6th.  They are hopefully giving devices to all the students and will start work.  At one point one of my kiddos friends in ps in the same state told him that they were not doing any work for the rest of the year and were told they were just advancing to the next grade.  I don't know if that was the thought at the start.   

Wow, schools should be doing something. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

My kids each came home with a packet. To be fair, teachers only had 24 hours to put things together.   They’ve already done most of it.

Its a really difficult situation all around.  There are federal laws about equity that haven’t been waived.  Yet now in my area we have many children who are home alone—high poverty rural area where many parents work at Walmart, fast food, or low paying CNA/healthcare jobs—with no internet access.  While some companies are offering free access right now, that doesn’t help when you live in an area no internet companies service and there’s no cell service for hotspots.  Then you also have many teachers in my area who don’t have home internet access because it’s just not available. My second grader’s teacher called yesterday, as the district is doing a survey of who has devices and internet access, and she mentioned that she and her husband are working off hotspots with poor signal. Her husband’s boss is getting annoyed but has no better ideas. My area is heavily reliant on internet access provided by the school and the library.
Our district emailed yesterday that they are trying to figure out what to do to continue instruction; whether it be some form of online distance learning or daily packets dropped off at the door.  There are no good options and no one ever sat around and envisioned or planned for a possibility like this.  I’m homeschooling from scratch and it’s almost impossible, even with numerous devices, internet access, time and financial security.  A large number of the students in my district are home alone or babysitting younger siblings, no internet access, parents who may not have the time or cognitive ability to help them(we have a lot of really low functioning parents here as well), or who have special needs and need a lot of 1:1, hand over hand.   Nobody has the answers. I suspect there really aren’t any.

No, there are no great solutions for sure. In our district we've been out for 2 weeks now and just announced another month, I don't understand why we weren't using the last 2 weeks to figure out something moving forward instead of putting our head in the sand. The elementary teacher here are evidently doing a great job getting packets out, although personally I'd not be too worried about lower elementary level. I find it inexcusable to have nothing to do for hs'ers except random websites for 2 months. If we could do something at least in core classes, even if it is not as much as regular that would be preferable. 

• Like 1

Our school is actually the biggest school in the area. I know my brother lives in a much smaller more rural district and their elementary teachers gave out packets since internet is spotty but his hs'er also hasn't been given any work either. I think we should do the same for the highschool as the elementary, have some things online and some printables for those that can't access the internet, just do the core subjects. If it isn't feasible to do that just Math and LA. LA could be simplified, evidently they have textbooks for English class but they don't use it, assignments from this would work as a short term solution.

Edited by soror

PS teacher here-

Lots of districts are thinking they can’t provide education if it’s not equitable so are not giving anything. BUT- a directive went out to states recently from the Fed Ed dept clearing that up that providing the best we can is better than nothing. So I think states will start providing new content as that info gets processed through state and local levels. (Sorry I don’t have that memo I don’t remember where I saw it posted, but I’ve been taking National board webinars & it’s been discussed a lot there)

Our district admin is meeting today to make a plan to move forward and provide new content remotely- packets for many since internet is spotty here. Since we don’t have any textbooks in elementary anymore its not easy to cover new content remotely without internet

My high school junior has had more work than usual. And she can’t do it alone- she usually has a special Ed teacher several periods a day to help.

the elementary kids not much. I’m using my own homeschool materials for them. The online things their teachers are posting we don’t have the tech to access- they have ancient iPads that can’t run the new educational sites and neither adult is allowed to let our children use our work laptops.

Edited by Hilltopmom

I have two High Schoolers in PS.  About two weeks before the shutdown the schools system started planning in the eventuality that they may have to close.  Surveys went out to parents to see if people had access to devices and internet.  On the last day they were in school which was a Friday Chromebooks were handed out to all students from 3rd grade on up.  K-2 received work packets and links to on line resources.  The school system and the town worked to make sure students had access to free internet/hot spots.  There are also daily breakfast/lunch pickup locations for the town.

I really don't know how it is going with the younger kids., but by the following Tuesday the High Schoolers at least started e-learning.  They have 8  25 minute periods and are still being given assignments, tests and quizzes.  Attendance is also taken every day.  The marking period just ended on the 31st and e-report cards will be issues (although via Power School most parents know their kids grades anyway).

Some of the classes have to be more creative than others.  But it actually seems to be working.  My kids aren't happy, they miss a lot about school,  but it is what it is.

• Like 2

My 16 yo is a ps sophomore. They had an early spring break, so all this came down while school was out of session and people were traveling. Because of the timing, many kids don't have all their things, as they were left at school (particularly a problem for band/orchestra instruments.) One of the night shift school maintenance workers tested positive, so they still won't let anyone in to get their items, out of an abundance of caution, as they say.

There were phone calls to each family to assess the internet and equipment situation, and my understanding is that those who were lacking received some things. So Tuesday online school began for core classes. Electives are next week. There have been many technical issues, and everyone is uncertain about how this will play out as far as marrying grades from 3rd quarter (which ended just before spring break) and 4th quarter.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. It's actually good for the kids to have some structure and something to do. On the other hand, this effort at finishing out the year seems like a lot of busywork.

I would not mind if they just called the year and perhaps started next year early. I can't see that going over easily here. Summer, and especially July, is sacred in our part of the country.

Three of my kids are in public school (two in 8th grade and one in 9th), and the oldest is a senior in a private Christian school. They had a two week spring break and then started remote learning this week. In contrast with what others have mentioned on this thread, my kids have lessons each day for all classes, including choir and band. One of my sons has a test tomorrow, but I'm not sure how that is going to work yet.

The work is not review. The teachers are moving ahead with the regular curriculum, but adapted to share lessons on our school's online platform (Schoology). Students, including mine, have had trouble with the internet connections being spotty, and we got a message last night that teachers will be working to figure out more things that can be done without being online (each of my kids has their own school-issued Chromebook).

Even though my kids are teens, DH and I have still been helping quite a bit. Two of my kids have IEPs, and one, in particular, needs some assistance with all of his classwork -- sometimes a little, sometimes 1:1 teaching. It's fortunate that we are able to provide that help. I can understand how many students with IEPs will be underserved during this time, even when the school is making it's best effort to continue accommodations. I still think it's crazy that some schools are not providing anything for anyone, because they claim they can't serve the IEP needs of some (haven't heard of that happening in our area).

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Lecka said:

I just got a message to plan to be back in school on April 15th.  We are in New York.  Really?????  I would love it but I don’t see how it is going to be possible.  

Nope we aren’t going back on April 15 in NY. That’s just the current date that schools are closed until. The governor is only calling it 2 weeks at a time for now.

• Like 1