Menu

what do I put on top of this piece of furniture?

ProudGrandma

Sort of crazy, but a while back we took an old TV/entertainment center and took the sides off and put the top on the top of the bottom part.  (look at the picture and it will make more sense). Anyway, this piece is in our entry way and will hold family games.  I bought some bins for smaller games and card games.  The problem is that I don't want to just leave it empty on top for 2 reasons: 1) because you can't sit on it or put any weight on it and 2) any empty flat surface tends to collect "stuff" and I don't want that to happen.  I have a table lamp on it now and there will be pictures on the wall behind it...

So....if this was in your home, what would you put on it?  I am thinking a table runner to add color but then, what else would you add? 

thanks.

IMG_20200220_085219368.jpg

IMG_20200221_115330153.jpg

• Like 1

it is a low to the ground surface.  I am not against "entry" items....except we hardly ever enter through that room because our garage is at the back of the house and we enter through the back door.    

I also don't like to fill space just for doing it...but if I don't...someone else will and it won't be pretty. 

3 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

it is a low to the ground surface.  I am not against "entry" items....except we hardly ever enter through that room because our garage is at the back of the house and we enter through the back door.    

I also don't like to fill space just for doing it...but if I don't...someone else will and it won't be pretty. 

We have this dynamic at home. Short of a bed of nails on top (which would get very dusty), I suggest a plant also. 😉

Maybe a vertically oriented mirror behind it on the wall if your pictures are on the small size, or maybe mount a shelf on the wall above it that works in tandem to it, and then place a plant, some books, etc. on it all together as a grouping.

I find that when I want to put something on the wall as a group or with furniture, making paper mock ups with brown paper grocery bags or something like it helps me visualize how things work together. Then I take pictures of different ways I could rearrange the items. 

Some kind of hanging plants over it could be nice if the light is right--having things suspended over it would keep people from thinking it's a bench to sit on, and they might also be less likely to bend over it to clutter it if they are going to hit their head on a suspended plant pot while cluttering it up. If you go this route, I think the plants should also be part of a grouping of items.

5 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

It almost seems low enough that you could put a seat cushion on it and let it be a bench. 

I’d either put a line of coat hooks above it, or hang some textile art above/behind it to “lift” the eye, make decorative use of that space that isn’t more knick-knack objects to dust. Something soft and unbreakable to lean against if you do use it as a bench. 

I wish I could use it as a bench, but it's just not sturdy enough for anybody of any weight to sit on it.  (a small child could sit on it just fine, but not the people who live in our home). There will be a collage of pictures above it as soon as I can get it done.  (the blob in the middle will be the word FAMILY..... Something like this: 

IMG_20200221_103845188.jpg

• Like 4

I'd get rid of it and replace it with a higher console and mirror.  More storage, higher surface that can't be so easily covered with junk.  Sometimes I think the reason the old secretary desks had that 45% angled cover on the top was solely to prevent clutter buildup.  A cranberry red secretary desk might be really nice there.

• Like 3

It appears to be the size of a cedar or hope chest....I have the same issue because I have mine that I got as a graduation gift from my mom and dh has the one that his dad made in high school (so 60 years ago)....and his dad died when dh was 12.  So we aren't getting rid of either one, but we only have one bed where it will fit at the end.  The second one is awkwardly infront of the window.  It gets piled with dh's junk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

I am not a fan of filling surfaces with decorative items to block out the space. Can you put something you actually use in that space? Basket with library books? Basket with hats&gloves if you say it's the entryway? Basket with keys and mai

This is what I would do or a basket for nature finds and another for binoculars and other gear and field guides. 

OP, I did the exact same thing with our entertainment center, which looks just like yours except mine is painted over. I use mine as a tv stand though. I like how much room and storage this gives me vs a  legit tv stand. 😍

IMG_20200221_142354874.jpg

IMG_20200221_135338104.jpg

IMG_20200221_144500566.jpg

Edited by IfIOnly
Our small nature basket pic
  • Like 1

I would put more baskets on top of it.  Or use the top as a plant holder for a biggish plant, or one of those long planter trays that have three smaller potted plants in them.  It's so low to the ground that I think it will look odd with anything decorarive on top, so just add more functional items.  The picture collage above it can be the decorative element.

• Like 1

Good job repurposing the old entertainment center!

A large plant would be lovely, or books with bookends. If you are into seasonal decorating, that could be a good place to put a little Christmas tree or other holiday displays. I have seen a large, simple dollhouse repurposed to hold books. Something like that would fit nicely there.

• Like 4

I would also do more utile baskets. If your kids are the right age, I'd house a good looking large toy there. If not, the library pile in a nice basket. A houseplant maybe. I like the suggestion of a nature basket, if your kids are the right age.

I wouldn't put a lamp there. What would be the purpose?

45 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I would also do more utile baskets. If your kids are the right age, I'd house a good looking large toy there. If not, the library pile in a nice basket. A houseplant maybe. I like the suggestion of a nature basket, if your kids are the right age.

I wouldn't put a lamp there. What would be the purpose?

the lamp...actually has a purpose....the stairs to go up to the kid's bedrooms is in that space...and at night, I like to put the lamp on so there is a soft light (vs the overhead lighting) is nice as the kids come and go from their rooms.   

Baskets and plants are both a nice idea....

• Like 3

Lots of ideas on Pinterest. Search how to decorate low cabinet. Scroll til you start seeing your size cabinet.

There were several with lamps. If you can get a taller lamp, I think it would look better or maybe a floor lamp next to it.

One photo had a lamp with three smaller plants.. low maintenance plants like Mother in law tongue. 

Maybe put a stack of nice boxed games, puzzles or books on the other side. 

Large mirror above , maybe mixed in with other photos. 

A largish vase with seasonal fake flowers.  

Lots of them had decorative pillows .

Another thought I had was to put some taller legs or a wood/metal frame under it to make  it taller and then you go do candlesticks or a lantern. 

Edited by KatieinMich

On 2/21/2020 at 2:18 PM, kfeusse said:

Sort of crazy, but a while back we took an old TV/entertainment center and took the sides off and put the top on the top of the bottom part.  (look at the picture and it will make more sense). Anyway, this piece is in our entry way and will hold family games.  I bought some bins for smaller games and card games.  The problem is that I don't want to just leave it empty on top for 2 reasons: 1) because you can't sit on it or put any weight on it and 2) any empty flat surface tends to collect "stuff" and I don't want that to happen.  I have a table lamp on it now and there will be pictures on the wall behind it...

So....if this was in your home, what would you put on it?  I am thinking a table runner to add color but then, what else would you add? 

thanks.

IMG_20200220_085219368.jpg

IMG_20200221_115330153.jpg

Plants.  My answer is always plants 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

I’d find a sturdy, color coordinated vase and fill it with peacock feathers to set in the middle under your photos, along with the lamp. I think you can buy them at craft stores; this I just found googling.

Oh, that's a good idea if you're not a plant person. I don't have peacock feathers, but I do have a very large vase with pussy willows in it (real ones). My grandmother kept a display of them when I was a kid, and I always liked it. Mine are huge--almost as tall as me, so a low table is great for something like that.