Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

41 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

Well, that is interesting! Where’d you find that? I might try posting it on a different forum to see what they say. I know some MDs did personally stockpile HCQ for themselves to use prophylactically. I don’t know if they’re still using it.

We take resveratrol but it’s the microcrystallized version recommended by David Sinclair. Most of the stuff out there is not good. We’re not taking it to prevent Covid but as an anti-ager. (Still using ozone here which is now being used all over Italy and parts of Africa and other countries. Cuba is the country that uses it the most but it’s hard to find their info. Gotta use Duck Duck Go to find anything.) 

I tried to reply but my replies are getting eaten by cyber gremlins.  I’ll try again later

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Joker said:

Is it much different than a flu swab? Does anyone know?

I had nose surgery when I was 12 but I’ve had a flu test with no issues. Doctor didn’t ask about prior surgery before it either. Just curious in case I end up needing a test.

It's like the flu one: https://blog.puritanmedproducts.com/how-to-collect-a-nasopharyngeal-swab-specimen

17 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:
I can’t answer that but I’ll link you to the guy on Twitter because he posts a lot about it.  He recommends getting an ENT to do the swab if you’re in doubt.  If you’re in Twitter he’s reasonable responsive so if you asked he might even let you know.

I will note that training and an ability to get past making someone uncomfortable while gaining their cooperation are probably just as important, though if there are ENTs doing these tests for the general public, they are probably the best of the best! 

DH has to test people sometimes (healthcare worker), and he's quite good at it, honestly. His approach is to be honest but kind about how it will feel and to suggest positions people can assume that will limit their ability to flinch or move away automatically when it's uncomfortable. If they do move, he will tell them that unless he swabs again, they are quite likely to get a false negative, and he generally gets consent to do it again. He's also got a knack for this kind of thing, a fantastic bedside manner, and he's been doing flu swabs for years. 

• Like 2

@BeachGal

Quote from 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27903507/

by N Müller-Calleja · 2017 · Cited by 43 · Related articles
Nov 30, 2016 · We hypothesise that HCQ might target endosomal NADPH oxidase (NOX), which is involved in the signal transduction of cytokines as well 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Plum said:

He was in a closed door meeting in a small office with both of his bosses for a couple of hours the day before symptom onset. 2/3 didn’t wear a mask...yeah I know. Neither tested positive. 

When did they get tested? More and more they are saying you need to wait about a week after exposure to get an accurate test result. If they were exposed the day before he was symptomatic, and then tested themselves just a day or so after exposure, the chance of false negatives are very high. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plum said:

I’m not sure Dh will have much immunity to it. I think he was exposed to low viral load. His fever went away right away. Most of his symptoms were minor and gone within a week.
We can’t explain how none of us got sick. I kissed him, sat on the couch and slept right next to him the night before he became symptomatic. Dh stopped isolating two days after he had his fever. We figured we had all been exposed already and he was feeling good enough to walk around the house. We kept our distance and a HEPA air purifier between us. He had his own bathroom. I got food out of the kitchen. I slept in one of the kids rooms. Otherwise he has beEn hangin out with us. He never started coughing a lot. 🤷🏻‍♀️

He was in a closed door meeting in a small office with both of his bosses for a couple of hours the day before symptom onset. 2/3 didn’t wear a mask...yeah I know. Neither tested positive. 

Our NAC supplement only has 25mcg. We were taking 2x a day. But his multivitamin has 117mcg. So we were close.😊

ETA I forgot the point of my post lol. We’ve been wondering if multiple mild exposures would help build immunity. Like eventually the body will recognize this and know what to do right?

We don’t know for sure 😉 — it’s novel and early.

there have been some suggestions that a few people have gotten CV19 twice and that a second infection was worse than first.  I don’t think this seems to have been frequent though.

In general, I would tend to think that a small exposure from which one fully recovers would help for future exposures—that’s at least often true for viral pathogens. It would not be novel anymore. (Tiny exposures might even be likened to live non attenuated vaccination... )

In addition to antibodies and memory cells of the acquired immune system, there is also a phenomenon more recently recognized of training of the innate immune system such that macrophages etc can more quickly rid the host of a recognized pathogen. 

(At the same time, the virus tries to evade the immune system, and possibly it “learns” too.) 

• Like 3

On 7/30/2020 at 6:45 PM, Pen said:

I don’t (on basis of science of what HCQ mode of action is) expect HCQ to stop infection.

I expect it to allow the immune system to function better and be able to cope with infection so that illness is less severe than it would otherwise be.  Probably also as a zinc ionophore to kill some virus and decrease amount and speed of replication so that activated innate immune system is both better able to cope and coping with a lower viral load. 

Considering that Hydroxychloroquine is used most frequently by autoimnube patients to lower the autoimmune response, I don't think it makes the immune system function better but just lowers the overactive of the immune system.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pen said:

@BeachGal

Quote from 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27903507/

by N Müller-Calleja · 2017 · Cited by 43 · Related articles
Nov 30, 2016 · We hypothesise that HCQ might target endosomal NADPH oxidase (NOX), which is involved in the signal transduction of cytokines as well 

I’m going to have to read that. 👍🏼

10 hours ago, Plum said:

I’m not sure Dh will have much immunity to it. I think he was exposed to low viral load. His fever went away right away. Most of his symptoms were minor and gone within a week.
We can’t explain how none of us got sick. I kissed him, sat on the couch and slept right next to him the night before he became symptomatic. Dh stopped isolating two days after he had his fever. We figured we had all been exposed already and he was feeling good enough to walk around the house. We kept our distance and a HEPA air purifier between us. He had his own bathroom. I got food out of the kitchen. I slept in one of the kids rooms. Otherwise he has beEn hangin out with us. He never started coughing a lot. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Our NAC supplement only has 25mcg. We were taking 2x a day. But his multivitamin has 117mcg. So we were close.😊

ETA I forgot the point of my post lol. We’ve been wondering if multiple mild exposures would help build immunity. Like eventually the body will recognize this and know what to do right?

Possibly. It’s very hard to say. He probably will make antibodies again or his immune system might just be able to fight off a reinfection like @Pen explained above. People with mild cases are not making as many antibodies and possibly not as many memory cells as someone with a severe case, but a mild case is MUCH better, especially if he hasn’t had the getting-better-then-takes-a-nose-dive response. It’s the unexpected clots that are so scary. Even people who’ve recovered from mild infections should take great care of their health for awhile, possibly a few months to half a year. It takes about that long for the damaged cells of the inner lining of arteries and veins to be replaced.

Some people are just genetically unlucky when it comes to cytokine storms. That’s one cause of all the problems. It could be the rest of you are all very healthy and genetically blessed in that way. Vitamin C can help others to mitigate damage, though. It’s been used in adults and children in studies. I linked two of them about ... 200 pages ago? lol. China’s doing a lot of IVC on Covid patients, too. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

Considering that Hydroxychloroquine is used most frequently by autoimnube patients to lower the autoimmune response, I don't think it makes the immune system function better but just lowers the overactive of the immune system.

😄 I was not making that up out of my head , it is in studies from before the current political issues 

Modes of action are not necessarily either / or 

(vitamin D also is supposed to do both)

• Like 2

We have a couple of interesting things going on here.  There’s a sniffer dog training program that hopes to have covid detection dogs operational in airports in a couple of months.  And there are calls for the waste water testing on incoming long haul flights.  I can see both those things contributing to facilitating some level of international travel eventually maybe.

vic had back under the 400 case mark today although it’s a weekend.  Nsw had 17.  We have had one case every day but one this week mostly from Vic.  Because everyone is pretty much acting like nothings happening (to be honest even we have been out too much.  I’m going to fulfill commitments but not sign up for new ones from now on) I think it’s likely things will start in my state at some point.  They are catching a number of border crossers but I suspect some will be getting through as well.  Shops and road are really busy and people are becoming quite casual about hand sanitiser and distancing.

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

We have a couple of interesting things going on here.  There’s a sniffer dog training program that hopes to have covid detection dogs operational in airports in a couple of months.  And there are calls for the waste water testing on incoming long haul flights.  I can see both those things contributing to facilitating some level of international travel eventually maybe.

Wow. That's much faster than I thought they'd be able to get dogs trained. I really hope it works out. From everything I've read the dogs could be game changers -- able to pretty accurately screen large numbers of people very quickly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

Wow. That's much faster than I thought they'd be able to get dogs trained. I really hope it works out. From everything I've read the dogs could be game changers -- able to pretty accurately screen large numbers of people very quickly. 

Yes.  It wasn’t clear in the interview but I think they are using dogs that are already trained in drug detection etc so it’s just a case of teaching them to recognise the new scents.  It would be fabulous.

• Like 2

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.25.20162107v2

study (pre print) on transmission etc seems to indicate that infectiousness is only during the first week.

i know there was someone here whose husband was being expected to stay home from work till taste and smell came back.  If anyone know who it was it might be helpful to be able to show his work?

6 hours ago, BeachGal said:

Possibly. It’s very hard to say. He probably will make antibodies again or his immune system might just be able to fight off a reinfection like @Pen explained above. People with mild cases are not making as many antibodies and possibly not as many memory cells as someone with a severe case, but a mild case is MUCH better, especially if he hasn’t had the getting-better-then-takes-a-nose-dive response. It’s the unexpected clots that are so scary. Even people who’ve recovered from mild infections should take great care of their health for awhile, possibly a few months to half a year. It takes about that long for the damaged cells of the inner lining of arteries and veins to be replaced.

Some people are just genetically unlucky when it comes to cytokine storms. That’s one cause of all the problems. It could be the rest of you are all very healthy and genetically blessed in that way. Vitamin C can help others to mitigate damage, though. It’s been used in adults and children in studies. I linked two of them about ... 200 pages ago? lol. China’s doing a lot of IVC on Covid patients, too. 

To add to that may be worth getting heart etc checked in a few months as the long term things with that didn’t seem to link to the severity of the initial infection.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yes.  It wasn’t clear in the interview but I think they are using dogs that are already trained in drug detection etc so it’s just a case of teaching them to recognise the new scents.  It would be fabulous.

Dogs already trained to alert on Bombs and explosives.  

They didn’t want drug dogs to alert if people were on the illegal drugs the dogs had already been trained to alert to.

(I presume in an airport or similar situation people should not fly if they are sick with CV19 or if they are carrying explosives so either alert would be useful.  And first dogs trained were already used to airports or shipping areas type commotion.   I think there were additional less experienced dogs still in training when the initial study was released. A few dogs flunked out, but the couple who picked up a case missed by laboratory test really impressed me.)

Edited by Pen
  • Like 4

Two things that might be involved (in addition to any physical differences) in more Black and Asian doctors dying in the UK: a higher likelihood of multi-generational living in Asian families leading to more close contact with more people,

Was it thought that the doctors contracted illness from family rather than patients?

and possible differences in the kinds of jobs that Black and Asian doctors have, due to inequality of opportunity.

That could be.  Possibly more on front lines of care. 

(Musing...   but would that fit with all the first several deaths in doctors being Black or South Asian doctors?    Don’t any white doctors also deal with front line patient care?)

On women: the Zoe study looked into oestrogen by looking at older women on HRT against those who are not, and couldn't see a correlation between HRT and lower incidence/severity of Covid.  There's a recent observation of a possible susceptibility to Covid due to a genetic quirk - this is less likely in women than in men, as it's associated with the X chromosome, of which women have a spare in case of error.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/342449127_ACE2_is_on_the_X_chromosome_could_this_explain_COVID-19_gender_differences

That X chromosome info is fascinating!  I’ve been reading more about its implications. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

Breaking news

state of disaster declared, we had state of emergency before this

Melbourne is going into stage 4 restrictions from 6pm tonight.
people are only to have 1 person go out to get food     Not to travel  more than 5km 
Curfew to start tonight from 8 pm to 5 am

tomorrow will be the announcements on which businesses will be able to stay open. Mostly it will be food shops

rest of Victoria is moving to stage 3

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Sad 12

15 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Breaking news

people are only to have 1 person go out to get food     Not to travel  more than 5km 

tomorrow will be the announcements on which businesses will be able to stay open. Mostly it will be food shops

I would be flying to Melbourne today with some of my kids. So so sad. But I'm glad they're taking it seriously.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Breaking news

Does everyone there know about vitamin D? You are in your winter, right?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Yes it is winter, but not like northern hemisphere winter. Today was about 20 oC very sunny. 

Ability to make vitamin D using sunlight to convert cholesterol depends upon sun angle, not temperature and mere “sunniness” of Fair weather. (though if too cloudy one cannot make good vitamin D even in summer with sun more directly overhead.)

Melbourne is outside of the equatorial band where year round D production is easy in winter.  At a similar latitude south as San Francisco Calif is north, it probably would take several hours around solar midday of sunbathing most days to get enough D. And that’s unlikely for most people with modern lifestyles. 

https://hwstudio.com.au/winter-in-melbourne-and-vitamin-d-are-melburnians-getting-enough/

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Pen said:

Ability to make vitamin D using sunlight to convert cholesterol depends upon sun angle, not temperature and mere “sunniness” of Fair weather. (though if too cloudy one cannot make good vitamin D even in summer with sun more directly overhead.)

Melbourne is outside of the equatorial band where year round D production is easy in winter.  At a similar latitude south as San Francisco Calif is north, it probably would take several hours around solar midday of sunbathing most days to get enough D. And that’s unlikely for most people with modern lifestyles. 

https://hwstudio.com.au/winter-in-melbourne-and-vitamin-d-are-melburnians-getting-enough/

https://www.cancer.org.au/media-releases/2016/how-much-sun-is-enough

41 minutes ago, Pen said:

but very likely for most of Melbourne as they have already been on stage 3 lock downs, so unable to leave their place really much anyway.  I bet there were a LOT of people sunbathing in their back yard in the middle of the day today.

6 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Technically 

I got sunburnt today which is insane.  Weirdest winter in Adelaide.  

It would be nice to know what your vitamin D level actually is.  

There are lots of strange things about natural D production like that longer sun exposure than needed may break down the D that was made and showering off skin oils may remove it before the body can absorb it. 

https://vitamindwiki.com/Optimize+vitamin+D+from+the+sun

• Like 2

Dogs

I May have been replying about an older dog CV19 identification study than one some of you heard about in an interview.

I just heard about dogs detecting on urine samples, whereas the study I read all of iirc had armpit sweat samples. 

3 hours ago, Pen said:

It would be nice to know what your vitamin D level actually is.  

There are lots of strange things about natural D production like that longer sun exposure than needed may break down the D that was made and showering off skin oils may remove it before the body can absorb it. 

https://vitamindwiki.com/Optimize+vitamin+D+from+the+sun

Well I am supplementing as well though not for the kids.  I tend to spend too much time indoors so I figure it’s ok to boost those reserves a bit.  The kids spend a lot of time outside summer and winter so I think they are most likely ok. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

but very likely for most of Melbourne as they have already been on stage 3 lock downs, so unable to leave their place really much anyway.  I bet there were a LOT of people sunbathing in their back yard in the middle of the day today.

That could help.  What about apartment dwellers? 

• Like 1

I am looking for a link to Brazilian physician Marina Bucar’s Covid-19 protocols if anyone has that or Comes to it.  My understanding is that it has various options for different phases somewhat like MATH protocol. 

TIA

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I am looking for a link to Brazilian physician Marina Bucar’s Covid-19 protocols if anyone has that or Comes to it.  My understanding is that it has various options for different phases somewhat like MATH protocol. 

TIA

https://www.instagram.com/dramarinabucar/tagged/

she has a lot of files on Instagram but mostly not in English.  Was it you that could read a bit of Spanish?  Actually I’m not sure if they are in Spanish either but just in case it’s helpful.

This is on Facebook and claims to be hers, again non English but you could use google translate

dra%20marina%20bucar.pdf?token=AWxEazIX1

the group that shared it are On Facebook called INVERMECTIN MD TEAM.  They said they also have her protocol but didn’t share it but it looks like if you join the group and request it they send it to you.  I don’t have any association with them but they seem to be mostly interested in invermectin for treatment.

• Thanks 1

Vic had around 400 cases and 13 deaths today.  We had two new in SA - unfortunately one is a case of local transmission.  We are back to 10 people for in home get together and venues can only offer seated dining. Also two schools are currently closed for “precautionary deep cleaning” because one of the cases visited in the two days before developing symptoms.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Sad 2

This is a private aged care home involved in a bit of scandal here right now.  They have a high number of covid cases.   From the article 

“Official documents show that one of the other homes in the company's group, Heritage Botany, failed all eight minimum standards in an audit by the Commonwealth Aged Care Safety and Quality Commission in September last year.

The scathing review of the privately owned, for-profit nursing home found the management of nutrition, hydration, skin injuries, falls and pain was inadequate, the food was bad, monotonous and not "culturally appropriate", and that some of the residents who could not feed themselves or get their own drinks were not getting help in time.

The government audit found that staff numbers had been cut, leaving residents uncared for. The remaining staff told inspectors they sometimes "cannot complete their work". Complaints were slow to be answered, and nearly 45 per cent of the residents told the auditors that they "sometimes or never" felt at home.”

https://apple.news/AZAOx1QugRCCgGZ5XRJ4PcA

meanwhile in March the owners did a photo shoot of their mansion in Vogue magazine.

https://www.vogue.com.au/vogue-living/interiors/house-tour-the-melbourne-mansion-with-gucci-in-almost-every-room/image-gallery/1f964f7700ad92f5ffcf4271f511f16d?fbclid=IwAR0j-LSdgtd-UwFTxAkhV32BzAWG7Yz8bNGaR2p3oMzFfswhuVBKZ_RHuOQ

Feels like something seriously wrong with our society 😞 

• Sad 6

I posted a while back about them working on this-a face mask that can kill the virus. The article says they hope to have them available sometime in the fall. 

https://www.wthr.com/mobile/article/news/health/iupui-researchers-develop-reusable-mask/531-5fdb40f2-a5f9-42bf-bd79-16a291cd41a3?fbclid=IwAR1c1UFb3-KvDsBXw6xD645bir7RhhRs_VnpRuwdirKnoON_52QFZP2iLh4

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.instagram.com/dramarinabucar/tagged/

she has a lot of files on Instagram but mostly not in English.  Was it you that could read a bit of Spanish?  Actually I’m not sure if they are in Spanish either but just in case it’s helpful.

This is on Facebook and claims to be hers, again non English but you could use google translate

dra%20marina%20bucar.pdf?token=AWxEazIX1

the group that shared it are On Facebook called INVERMECTIN MD TEAM.  They said they also have her protocol but didn’t share it but it looks like if you join the group and request it they send it to you.  I don’t have any association with them but they seem to be mostly interested in invermectin for treatment.

Thank you!

It’s Portuguese.  I am very rusty now, but have been fluent.

I don’t do FB alas. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joker said:

I posted a while back about them working on this-a face mask that can kill the virus. The article says they hope to have them available sometime in the fall. 

https://www.wthr.com/mobile/article/news/health/iupui-researchers-develop-reusable-mask/531-5fdb40f2-a5f9-42bf-bd79-16a291cd41a3?fbclid=IwAR1c1UFb3-KvDsBXw6xD645bir7RhhRs_VnpRuwdirKnoON_52QFZP2iLh4

A study that showed how long SARS2 was living on various surfaces included copper as I recall.  It survived surprisingly long on copper as I recall.  Changing to nano might help, I guess.  Though I don’t know how safe nano particles are for people.

44 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I have not been following this thread like I used to, but am starting to again.  Please forgive me if this has been posted.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/vietnam-says-strain-coronavirus-behind-095351338.html

This is not great news. I find it especially worrisome that they believe this strain is more severe. Considering that they had at least 400 cases and zero deaths with their first round, hopefully a worse strain in their view is more like a normal strain to the rest of us.

Although, I just reread this. I think it is worth noting that it is the media reporting that this strain is more contagious and severe. The Vietnamese health minister said they could not comirm that, which makes this headline very misleading. The change in infection rate is a fact but could be attributed to behavior just as easily as mutation.

From the article:

Long [Vietnam's health minister] said he could not confirm reports in local media that it was more contagious, or more dangerous, than its predecessor.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Joker said:

Copper did not immediately kill SARS2 in the studies I have seen.  It took several hours.

Even if that’s the case, It could  help for a mask to be good to wear again after a night off though so long as the nano copper isn’t harmful to people. 

I think some other masks already have copper incorporated such as the NC mill one that someone, maybe screen name has Paws in it, and avatar picture has a Bichon Frise looking dog I think, but I can’t recall screen name for sure or tag her. 

10 hours ago, TracyP said:

This is not great news. I find it especially worrisome that they believe this strain is more severe. Considering that they had at least 400 cases and zero deaths with their first round, hopefully a worse strain in their view is more like a normal strain to the rest of us.

Although, I just reread this. I think it is worth noting that it is the media reporting that this strain is more contagious and severe. The Vietnamese health minister said they could not comirm that, which makes this headline very misleading. The change in infection rate is a fact but could be attributed to behavior just as easily as mutation.

From the article:

Long [Vietnam's health minister] said he could not confirm reports in local media that it was more contagious, or more dangerous, than its predecessor.

The article doesn't say that the strain is more severe.  It's a strain that has been seen in Ireland and Bangladesh.  

There is some speculation that *some* strains of the virus are more easy to spread because they have more spike proteins.  BUT...having more of the spikes makes it easier for a vaccine to target. More contagious strains do not necessarily equal a more lethal or "dangerous" strain. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

The article doesn't say that the strain is more severe.  It's a strain that has been seen in Ireland and Bangladesh.  

There is some speculation that *some* strains of the virus are more easy to spread because they have more spike proteins.  BUT...having more of the spikes makes it easier for a vaccine to target. More contagious strains do not necessarily equal a more lethal or "dangerous" strain. 

They had had no deaths as July 29.  Now 6 deaths.