Menu

What's with the ads?

gardenmom5

wuhan - coronavirus

2 minutes ago, bolt. said:

I think this is really interesting. As a Canadian, our system is substantively similar to NZ. In observing my news reading, I realized that I'm accustomed to reading 'the Prime Minister imposed' as personification. It's shorthand for 'the PM led their party through the process of implementing this'. Which is totally not what it says, so you are not to be blamed for reading it in the plain sense of the actual words used. I also have noticed that usually articles that include the PM's name a lot tend to be from more partisan or opinion-style sources -- they are trying to either build or destroy the PM's 'brand'. More even-handed sources tend to say 'the (Trudeau) government' at least once or twice to clarify the personification.

I can see now how it's perfectly natural for citizens living in a country where the national leader *can* do a variety of things without the voting participation of the ruling body would be more apt to assume that 'if it says that the PM did it, it means that the PM did it'. We don't read it that way because we know that can't be the case. (Like when my MIL says, "I changed my oil." -- my first thought is that she brought it in for service, not that she got out a wrench.) I think maybe I have been misreading American news! Do your Presidents frequently use their executive powers? When I read 'the President has done xyz' -- am I supposed to understand that xyz was done by the President alone without the participation of your house / senate / etc?

A president can issue an executive order without congress voting on an issue. It looks like 300 EOs for 2 4 year terms is not unheard of. FDR and Woodrow Wilson totally threw the curve, lol.

A president signing a bill into law is something that has passed through the house and senate after debate and voting by both parties.

So if someone on the news said that Trump issued a stay at home order, I would assume they meant executive order.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Hrms. I thought I was linking directly to the tab.

Click on the tab "Testing Trends" at the bottom to see the graphs.

I don’t see “Testing Trends.

This is a screenshot of what I see:

F0239D41-A8A0-44A2-8FB0-5C3C6176E932.png

1 hour ago, Pen said:

(ETA: Not disputing that Illinois is doing worse than TX, btw) 

Having lived briefly in Dallas-Fort Worth area at one point, I wonder how meaningful it is to separate them as to ups and Downs.   Iirc the county line was not especially a barrier to people or viruses.    

What is happening in state as whole on these graphs looks a bit concerning:

951AFF9B-9D6D-4F5F-B123-6EB947B8844D.jpeg

It is difficult to know where to draw boundaries.  The people and the virus definitely do not stop at county lines.  At the same time, from one end of Dallas to the end of Fort Worth is a distance than what many people would travel to be in another state.  Right now I am in Austria.  From Germany, through Austria, to Italy is a shorter distance than driving from one end of the DFW metroplex to another.    

While the number of new cases in Texas rose right at the end of April/beginning of May, testing significantly increased in the state at that time, also. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

It is difficult to know where to draw boundaries.  The people and the virus definitely do not stop at county lines.  At the same time, from one end of Dallas to the end of Fort Worth is a distance than what many people would travel to be in another state.  Right now I am in Austria.  From Germany, through Austria, to Italy is a shorter distance than driving from one end of the DFW metroplex to another.    

While the number of new cases in Texas rose right at the end of April/beginning of May, testing significantly increased in the state at that time, also. 

If I remember correctly it is 12+ hours to drive across Texas at its widest point.  Texas is huge!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I have similar issues with separation of Vancouver, WA from Portland, OR in terms of judging case numbers.  There is far more travel between those places on a regular basis than between Portland, Oregon and Bend, Oregon.  

(And iirc, Dallas to Fort Worth was a shorter drive than from my current rural area to the nearest significant city.) 

Different Countries can and have in many cases at least officially shut human travel.  So different countries does seem significantly different to me. 

Eta: the added testing issue could be a reason that would be less concerning, but I think deaths have continued to rise too — however, I cannot make worldometers.info load right now to check that. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pen said:

I don’t see “Testing Trends.

This is a screenshot of what I see:

F0239D41-A8A0-44A2-8FB0-5C3C6176E932.png

That looks like you are accessing it on a phone?

Try clicking the arrows on either side of "Cases by County" -- Cases by County is one of the tabs on the page I see when I click on that website. Though I do wonder how the graph is going to show up. Hrms.

Edited by vonfirmath

12 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

That looks like you are accessing it on a phone?

Try clicking the arrows on either side of "Cases by County" -- Cases by County is one of the tabs on the page I see when I click on that website.

Okay. That worked.

I still don’t see any significant conflict with Worldometers.info. 

Since death statistics are less likely likely to be affected by increased testing here are death graphs.  They aren’t horrible— double digit deaths per day—not like a New York or Spain type scenario.  But they also don’t appear to be showing much of a tapering.

The new daily deaths do seem to show a flattened curve — but not yet clear that an average curve drawn through has become level.   Though maybe even if it is rising it is a small enough rise for state to handle it. 

83A4DB17-A59E-4E62-B233-950E17496CC3.png

Edited by Pen

Did not know where to put this so this is how contact tracing is planned/done in India

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52659520

As to the boots on the ground information from my parents, someone from the city civic body comes every single day and asks if anyone has temperature. They do not take people's temperature. They also sprayed my parent's street tonite on both sides. My dad is very good in sending me pictures from the terrace which gives a sort of arial view. It is a white powder which I assume is bleach but for some reason it seems to glow, I can't figure out if it is luminescent or the light from street lights makes it seems so. But it is distinctly visible from three stories high. 

20 hours ago, Pen said:

https://youtu.be/durcHyxpFT4

Luc Montagnier on CV19 as not natural.  I realize World Health Organization etc day it is natural.   (Not trying to spread conspiracies— But I trust Montagnier’s credibility more than WHO.) 

I will have to spend more time with it, but I find this argument compelling.  I'll need to check the science.  https://www.europeanscientist.com/en/big-data/no-sars-cov-2-does-not-contain-hiv-genetic-code/

20 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

I will have to spend more time with it, but I find this argument compelling.  I'll need to check the science.  https://www.europeanscientist.com/en/big-data/no-sars-cov-2-does-not-contain-hiv-genetic-code/

I don’t know which way it is, but I am certainly keeping an open mind that LM may be right, or partly right.  

Earlier in this thread, I thought it didn’t matter all that much whether it was purely natural or not, but increasingly, I think it may matter quite a bit. 

The most clever manipulated virus might be one that would appear to most scientists to be natural, but that would have manipulations so that it would be capable of doing very unexpected things in the course of illnesses, and/or that might respond to vaccines or treatments in very unexpected ways. 

Very sad article about an Iowa meatpacking worker who died of covid-19.

https://www.telegraphherald.com/coronavirus/article_2e9646dc-96d1-11ea-b934-13efa653bb5e.html?utm_source=thonline&utm_medium=click_source&utm_campaign=mostrecent

IOWA CITY — In the days before his death, an Iowa meatpacking worker twice warned that the coronavirus was spreading through his plant because of its crowded spaces and lack of personal protective equipment, his nephew said.

Jagir told his nephew, Shila Dide, 30, twice in April that conditions at the bustling plant were helping spread the highly contagious disease. Jagir complained that hundreds of people would gather in the cafeteria without masks or face shields, Dide said.

"My uncle told me, 'Hey, this place is not safe. This virus is everywhere'," said Dide, of Carroll. "He talked to me twice and said the same thing. Then, after a few days, he got sick."

• Sad 5

This is a graph of deaths in Texas with a 7-day moving average in red.  It doesn't appear that there has been a spike in deaths, but the next few days will be important to watch.   (And most deaths through today are probably still related to people who were infected before May 1 when many places began lifting restrictions) 

image.png.f8be358c8f1c37ec7f7920d5ae79755d.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Joker said:

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/498046-five-sailors-who-returned-to-uss-roosevelt-test-positive-for-coronavirus-again

Anyone seen this? It says five sailors on the Roosevelt developed symptoms and tested positive for a SECOND time. 

I had not— thanks for posting.  

That is concerning.

I didn’t see if they think it is a separate infection or that first infection goes into a hidden form and then re-emerges.   Did you see that addressed? 

I think it might be a good idea to have something available to do a periodic sense of smell and taste test with. 

• Sad 1

And, in re testing positive again, I wonder if it is less bad the same or worse on the reemergence or second time around . 

• Like 2

I wonder what is the false negative rate on the test the Navy's using to re-board sailors. And.... CDC is only recommending, in effect, waiting 10 days unless you still have a fever or something (details). That seems optimistic.

I don't think we have solid information about the degree of correlation between infection and a positive test OR a positive test and capacity to infect others, really. I mean, if you're not infected, you won't get symptoms and you won't get a positive and you won't infect others. But if you are infected, your test might be positive or negative and you might or might not have symptoms and you might be markedly more or less infectious than another infected person.

If you were infected, you might or might not still have the virus in your body and might or might not test positive and might or might not have symptoms in the future, is what it sounds like. Not that the odds are a coin toss by any means, but... it seems like two SARS-CoV-2 tests 21 days apart would give less cause for confidence than, say, two pregnancy tests at the same interval.

Stupid virus.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 3

UCB 🙂 https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/thousands-of-uc-berkeley-seniors-to-graduate-in-minecraft-ceremony/2291312/

“Thousands of graduating seniors from University of California, Berkeley are expected to take part this weekend in one of the most unusual graduation ceremonies ever — they’ll don their caps and gowns in the virtual world of the game Minecraft. 

The 2 p.m. ceremony on Saturday will take place in a virtual Minecraft version of the Cal campus and feature keynote speeches from Cal’s chancellor, CEOs from tech companies Razer and Twitch, as well as graduating seniors. 

“It should be a pretty unique experience for everyone,” said Bjorn Lustic, a former Cal student who launched the effort. “This has never been done before.””

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

UCB 🙂 https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/thousands-of-uc-berkeley-seniors-to-graduate-in-minecraft-ceremony/2291312/

“Thousands of graduating seniors from University of California, Berkeley are expected to take part this weekend in one of the most unusual graduation ceremonies ever — they’ll don their caps and gowns in the virtual world of the game Minecraft. 

The 2 p.m. ceremony on Saturday will take place in a virtual Minecraft version of the Cal campus and feature keynote speeches from Cal’s chancellor, CEOs from tech companies Razer and Twitch, as well as graduating seniors. 

“It should be a pretty unique experience for everyone,” said Bjorn Lustic, a former Cal student who launched the effort. “This has never been done before.””

I kind of love that.

53 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Lol

this would be certain of my kids dream graduation 

11 hours ago, Selkie said:

In Illinois, we were told that our peak was going to be in late April or early May. That has now been pushed back to mid-June.

In Chicago, the virus is hitting minorities particularly hard, especially African Americans - their death rate from the virus is currently six times higher than that of whites.

This is so worrying. 😞 

We used to live in Cook County, and I still have relatives in Lake, DuPage, and Winnebago counties, so I've kept one eye on what is going on there.  

9 hours ago, StellaM said:

More economists discuss the benfits of shut-downs/lock-downs/social restrictions over misguided herd immunity approaches:

https://theconversation.com/the-costs-of-the-shutdown-are-overestimated-theyre-outweighed-by-its-1-trillion-benefit-138303

So it looks as if they are attributing saving 225,000 deaths to the lockdown:

"Given a population of 25 million people and assuming a fatality rate of 1%, this would produce 225,000 deaths." 

This is calculated as 90% of people being infected and 1% of those dying.  But, the benefit of the lockdown would be how many FEWER deaths there are because of the lockdown. (If a lockdown flattens the curve and results in 100,000 deaths instead of 250,000, for example, the benefit is 150,000 saved lives, not 250,000)

Maybe Australia is different in that it can have a lockdown and zero deaths or non-lockdown and 225,000 deaths.  But that isn't a reasonable assumption for most places.  

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

And minks at mink farms.  

Which may mean house pest rodents would be susceptible...  I think that should be checked.  And also I think it should be investigated whether mosquitoes or fleas or ticks can be a vector. 

I still feel concerned that with the blood and circulatory changes effects it has shown it might be communicable in more ways than are currently thought. 

• Like 2

Europe https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/covid-19-italy-reopen-borders-tourists-early-june-12738836

“ROME: Italy will reopen to European tourists from early June and scrap a 14-day mandatory quarantine period, the government said on Saturday (May 16), as it quickened the exit from the coronavirus lockdown. 

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte enforced an economically crippling shutdown in early March to counter a pandemic that has so far killed more than 31,500 people in Italy.

The shutdown halted all holidaymaking in a country heavily dependent on the tourism industry.

Although Italy never formally closed its borders and has allowed people to cross back and forth for work or health reasons, it banned movement for tourism and imposed a two-week isolation period for new arrivals.

In March, the European Union banned foreign nationals from entering its Schengen zone, an open border zone comprising 22 of 27 member states, with exceptions for medical workers and essential travel.

But on Wednesday, the EU set out plans for a phased restart of summer travel, urging member states to reopen its internal borders, while recommending that external borders remain shut for most travel until at least the middle of June.“

https://covid19criticalcare.com

This is about the MATH+ treatment protocol. Do you think it would be worth just taking the vit C, B1, thiamine and zinc now? We're already taking D.

I'm really not much of a daily vitamin girl but this experience may convert me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, sassenach said:

This is about the MATH+ treatment protocol. Do you think it would be worth just taking the vit C, B1, thiamine and zinc now? We're already taking D.

I don't know of course. But oral vitamin C wouldn't replicate the levels they are getting by IV. I've seen Zinc combined with Zinc ionospheres in studies, and the one I recently looked at specified that the zinc had to be with the ionosphere to get it into the cell--they specifically said that zinc alone was not known to have effect. I see, though, that they are just adding it without anything else. It couldn't hurt I suppose.

There may be some potential action given some of those things may help with other viruses. But I'm thinking Vitamin D has the most support for actually having prophylactic properties. If one of us gets sick, I plan to increase existing intake of vitamin C, increase existing intake of D, begin zinc with quercetin, and maybe I'll add some of those B vitamins. But I wouldn't do any of that preventatively at this point. (We are taking Vitamin D with Vitamin C, but we've always done that, including pre-virus) 

Edited to add: This sounds really promising. I wish there was more coordination to get information like this communicated to those that need it. 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 2

I can see this happening here, the last paragraph I quoted about big “sharks” going in for the kill. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-12/if-landlords-get-wiped-out-wall-street-wins-not-renters

“If Landlords Get Wiped Out, Wall Street Wins, Not Renters

About half of the 43 million rental units in the country are owned by small businesses such as Shields’s one-woman enterprise. Unless help comes soon, “both renters and property owners will slide down the socioeconomic scale together,” says Emily Benfer, a visiting law professor at Columbia University. “It will have a ripple effect. Rent doesn’t just go to property owners, it pays for property taxes, mortgages, and salaries for the people who maintain buildings.”

Lenders could be collateral damage, particularly regional banks that often finance local property investors. At the end of 2019, there was $1.6 trillion of outstanding mortgage debt on multifamily properties in the U.S., according to Paula Munger, vice president of research at the National Apartment Association (NAA), citing a Fed study. Defaults in the last recession reached 5% and could climb to as high as 10% during this much deeper downturn, she says.

Small investors own much of the naturally occurring affordable housing in the U.S. If they’re forced to sell or abandon properties, more of the market might wind up in the hands of Wall Street firms, some of which have built up large portfolios of rental properties over the last decade or so. New owners with deeper pockets might opt to reposition low-income units to target wealthier occupants.”

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

Not in anywhere near the MATH intravenous amounts, but I am taking all of those at least frequently as part of a high quality multivitamin (Thorne) Or B complex (Emerald). 

And I have been taking a bit of Quercitin as a zinc ionophore. 

Aller-C type vitamin C had both C and Quercitin also bromelaine. I may go back to that.  It seemed overly expensive for its components, but is easy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

That treatment protocol is fascinating. It sounds like a unit using it in TX has treated 50 patients and had zero deaths. This definitely looks like something to keep an eye on!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sbgrace said:

I don't know of course. But oral vitamin C wouldn't replicate the levels they are getting by IV. I've seen Zinc combined with Zinc ionospheres in studies, and the one I recently looked at specified that the zinc had to be with the ionosphere to get it into the cell--they specifically said that zinc alone was not known to have effect. I see, though, that they are just adding it without anything else. It couldn't hurt I suppose.

There may be some potential action given some of those things may help with other viruses. But I'm thinking Vitamin D has the most support for actually having prophylactic properties. If one of us gets sick, I plan to increase existing intake of vitamin C, increase existing intake of D, begin zinc with quercetin, and maybe I'll add some of those B vitamins. But I wouldn't do any of that preventatively at this point. (We are taking Vitamin D with Vitamin C, but we've always done that, including pre-virus) 

Edited to add: This sounds really promising. I wish there was more coordination to get information like this communicated to those that need it. 

A lot of people are chronically deficient or low in in zinc (as also often deficient or low vitamin d , magnesium, etc), so having base zinc level at a good level in first place could be helpful .

when I recently did a home D test I could have also added mineral levels, and now wish I had done so. 

• Like 2

This was in the US News and World today about superintendents disregarding the published guidelines and looking at the more specific CDC guidelines which were shelved. I linked the 63 page document in the second link. More specific details can be found later in the document for childcare p.42, schools/camps p.47 and churches p.52. Vulnerable workers, restaurants/bars, public transit follow those sections.

https://www.usnews.com/news/education-news/articles/2020-05-15/school-superintendents-dismiss-white-house-will-follow-leaked-cdc-guidance-on-reopening-schools?fbclid=IwAR2RyJIkfkg8asENRw_vSE8JO35ZRozUUgD0MbcZAu1EMhgMBSW3cjYZQoY   

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6889330-Guidance-for-Opening-Up-America-Again-Framework.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@whitehawk Article about dealing w/coronavirus for a looking illness: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/weird-hell-professor-advent-calendar-covid-19-symptoms-paul-garner

If this wasn't engineered, it certainly found a way to hit all sorts of the worst if the worst in terms of crazy...

• Like 4

On 5/14/2020 at 11:08 AM, Selkie said:

I'm still catching up on this thread so this may have already been posted.  I see nothing in the article to indicate that the number of tests has increased as well.   Texas has doubled its number of tests in the last two-ish weeks:  330k tests conducted in March and April and 330k from May 1-16.  I'm not surprised that the raw number of new cases has increased, but I did expect it to be quite a bit higher.

The governor's task force is closely watching the number of positive test results and the hospitalization rates to decide upon the next steps in opening up.

Dallas County had a lower average number of new cases this week than last -- a hopeful trend.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

I'm still catching up on this thread so this may have already been posted.  I see nothing in the article to indicate that the number of tests has increased as well.   Texas has doubled its number of tests in the last two-ish weeks:  330k tests conducted in March and April and 330k from May 1-16.  I'm not surprised that the raw number of new cases has increased, but I did expect it to be quite a bit higher.

The governor's task force is closely watching the number of positive test results and the hospitalization rates to decide upon the next steps in opening up.

Dallas County had a lower average number of new cases this week than last -- a hopeful trend.  

A good Twitter thread, exactly as it pertains to Texas:

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, EmseB said:

A good Twitter thread, exactly as it pertains to Texas:

I think this is irresponsible reporting on CNN's part.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

I think this is irresponsible reporting on CNN's part.

Further down in the thread people are saying some states are counting antibody testing toward their total tests.  Anyone know if this is true?

Just a funny story about lockdown here 🙂 

Social distancing rules under Level 2 has limited the number of people that can get into cafes and restaurants.

For many people, that means having to wait outside for another patron to leave before they can get in for their favourite snack or caffeine fix - even if you're the Prime Minister.

Jacinda Ardern was spotted waiting outside Olive Cafe on Cuba St on Saturday morning.

Speaking to Stuff, a manager from the cafe said the Prime Minister had showed up without a booking, and waited outside with some other customers.

"It was just a couple minutes, she was all good," he said.

A diner at the cafe said they and some friends had just been seated when they saw Ardern, fiance Clarke Gayford, some friends and a bodyguard arrived.

"But one of the workers had to awkwardly say it was full and there were no tables, and they left, and we were wondering if we should give them our table.

"Mercifully it seems a group was then clearing out and one of the staff chased them down and they were seated."

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Further down in the thread people are saying some states are counting antibody testing toward their total tests.  Anyone know if this is true?

Yes. A handful are. At least one does have a report that splits them out, but you have to drill down for it.

Just the other day, the Covid Tracking Project had a tweet asking that they not combine them:

ttps://mobile.twitter.com/COVID19Tracking

Possibly Texas, Virginia, Arkansas, New York,...

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, StellaM said:

lol, yes, not much sign of Jacinda being The Great Power in this story!

I really like that woman based on what I know of her. She seems to be a thoroughly decent human being.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

Yes. A handful are. At least one does have a report that splits them out, but you have to drill down for it.

Just the other day, the Covid Tracking Project had a tweet asking that they not combine them:

ttps://mobile.twitter.com/COVID19Tracking

Possibly Texas, Virginia, Arkansas, New York,...

Could you point more clearly to the place in these tweets that report Texas Health officials as including antibody tests in the official Covid-test numbers?  They are probably keeping track of antibody tests, but I'm interested in knowing whether they're mixing those with diagnostic tests.

Edited by DoraBora
silly spelling mistake
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DoraBora said:

Could you point more clearly to the place in these tweets that report Texas Health officials as including antibody tests in the official Covid-test numbers?  They are probably keeping track of antibody tests, but I'm interested in knowing whether they're mixing those with diagnostic tests.

It isn't in that specific tweet-- although people responding point to Texas as being one of the state's that does so. Here is a news article I got from a quick query. Relevant quote below:

https://www.texasobserver.org/covid-19-tests-combine-texas/amp/

A spokesperson for DSHS confirmed to the Observer that the agency includes “some antibody results” in its official statistics

The point is that some states are including them without clearly delineating how many are antibody & how many are not.

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

It isn't in that specific tweet-- although people responding point to Texas as being one of the state's that does so. Here is a news article I got from a quick query. Relevant quote below:

https://www.texasobserver.org/covid-19-tests-combine-texas/amp/

The point is that some states are including them without clearly delineating how many are antibody & how many are not.

It’s really hard to imagine why they wouldn’t be separated out in statistics.  The more accurate the better decisions can be made surely. 

1 hour ago, EmseB said:

I actually can't find a lot of difference in what it says compared to the thread I linked?

Well if you read down it mentions that increased testing may be a factor and references growth in deaths and level rates of hospitalisation.  Enough info to get a broader picture I think.  Death rates should lag so I’m not sure why they are still increasing in case that’s still from the previous peak.  Then if lifting lockdown results in a second spike death rates should go up in two to three weeks.

• Like 1

Global Times

Fengman district in Jilin dials up #COVID19 risk level to high after 3 new locally transmitted confirmed cases detected