Menu

One Shoe to Rule Them All?

domestic_engineer

When I lived in the south, I lived in my sandals.  I only wore closed-toe shoes for hiking.  (I've had the same pair of hiking boots since college.)

When I lived up north, I got the most use out of my sandals and my nice snow boots.  Except for church, I always wore one or the other.  (I actually accidentally wore my nice snow boots to church once and it was fine - they were black and sleek and unobtrusive.)

Now that I'm back in the south, I still use just my sandals and my nice snow boots.  (I had no idea that my snow boots would be so useful here.) 

So that's my answer: a good pair of wear-all-day sandals and a good pair of wear-all-day boots (that can handle snow, if you are in a snowy climate), in a neutral color that goes with everything (mine are both black).  My sandals are Tevas, which are comfortable and wear well.  (My boots are a serendipitous yard sale find - I have no idea what they are.)

ETA: I suppose if you really just want one shoe, boots are more versatile in a 4-season climate.  But I can't live without my sandals - they were my year-round shoe in the south when I was younger - and I wore them at least half the year up north.  (I know it's a fashion faux-pas, but I'd wear them with dark socks in the fall and spring - pretty much any time it was above freezing and dry.)  I only use my boots when it's too cold to wear sandals.

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have these Skecher Mary Jane style walking shoe.  Super comfortable if I a, on my feet all day or waking 25K steps at a conference.  Works with skirts, slacks or jeans.  Definitely 4 season though I have some snow boots for getting to-from the car when we get lots of snow.

https://www.amazon.com/Skechers-Sport-Womens-Breathe-Lucky/dp/B01B64AOHC/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Skechers+Mary+Jane&qid=1552920439&s=apparel&sr=1-2

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AK_Mom4 said:

I have these Skecher Mary Jane style walking shoe.  Super comfortable if I a, on my feet all day or waking 25K steps at a conference.  Works with skirts, slacks or jeans.  Definitely 4 season though I have some snow boots for getting to-from the car when we get lots of snow.

https://www.amazon.com/Skechers-Sport-Womens-Breathe-Lucky/dp/B01B64AOHC/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Skechers+Mary+Jane&qid=1552920439&s=apparel&sr=1-2

I’ve had these shoes and they ARE great. They last well too.

• Thanks 1

I have to keep my shoes to a minimum, because I need really good foot support and otherwise it is prohibitively expensive.  I do though live in a very variable climate.

My "seasonal shoes" generally are a pair of Sorel-like winter boots - like duck boots but warmer, some good quality rain boots, and a pair of Birkestock sandals.  If I find a good sale I also like to have sandals like Clarke's that are better for dressing up than the birks.

But the rest of the time I am wearing the same three pairs of shoes - a pair of brown Bluntstones (60%) a pair of black german lace up shoes (25%) or black knee high Doc Martens.(15%)  And really, that includes much of the summer and winter as well.  

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I adore my Dansko Louise oxfords but it appears they are being discontinued.  I was going to buy a second pair but can't find them in my size.  So I had my pair reheeled and hope Dansko offers a similar shoe soon.

Edited by marbel
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Margaret in CO said:

I'd never be able to only have 1-2 pairs of shoes! We live in a land of extreme weather change--I'm thinking of looking for a pair of muck boots today. The slop is too deep for my Sorels. It's over 12" in places. (ah, yes, mud season in CO). But I need hiking boots for Scout stuff, and walking shoes for trails in the summer and fall. And irrigating season calls for hip boots. And shoes for skirts (which I wear 90% of the time). It's too cold (down to 1 last night) for short irrigating boots. https://www.amazon.com/Muck-Arctic-Adventure-Rubber-Womens/dp/B00BN6139W/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?hvadid=153739073971&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9029132&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16207005317608888833&hvtargid=aud-647006051489%3Akwd-2072315922&keywords=muck+boots+womens&qid=1552929160&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&tag=googhydr-20&psc=1

Margaret, we wear Arctic Mucks all winter. If you need something very warm, try the Arctic Sport Mucks, which are rated to -40F. I can attest that that rating is correct, because it was -38F here this winter and my feet stayed toasty warm!🙂

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

I second the Alegria Paloma. You can wear them without socks all summer and with socks in winter. (I know they are Mary Janes. But they really do look good with socks. I had a nice bluish pair that was perfect for year round).

I have to say the Chaco sandal is extremely versatile, although it is a summer shoe. BUT you can go from rock climbing to hiking to church to shopping in these. You can live in these all summer without ever changing shoes. They are supportive and long, long lasting. They look good with short, jeans, capris, skinny jeans, and skirts. You can't beat them. You can hose them off. You can even put them in your dishwasher.

https://www.amazon.com/Chaco-Womens-Classic-Athletic-Sandal/dp/B01H4XFR7Q/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=chaco+sandals&qid=1552929313&s=gateway&sr=8-5

That's interesting. I've always been told Rock Climbing, Hiking, and such should be done with close toed shoes so I'd think one shoe to do everything was a pipe dream

I come close to a one shoe all the time with my Merrell Jungle Mocs. But there are just situations I want something different.  (Sandals in the summer. Nice sturdy shoes when camping because of the stick that came up and went through the sneaker I was wearing at the time. Higher boots for going through tall grass and protecting legs.)

• Thanks 1

Love my Birkenstocks for about 7 months of the year and Merrell ankle boots (though my preferred style is discountinued 😢) for the remaining months. I do live in the South but also have cold feet. 

Dansko Sams are a favorite, too—they’re sandal-like but closed toe and look good (imho anyway, but I’m no fashionista) with tights. 

Edited by hopeistheword
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve found these to be pretty versatile and can work in all but the coldest weather. Definitely good for fall and spring, and summer too, but I’m a flip-flop lover so no for me in the summer. 🙂 I have them in two different colors actually.

https://smile.amazon.com/KEEN-Womens-Sienna-MJ-Canvas/dp/B00ZFM5NYQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=keen%2Bmary%2Bjane&qid=1552938711&s=gateway&sr=8-5&th=1&psc=1

• Thanks 1

I'm a shoe minimalist too -- haha.  My favorite all-season, all-event, dress-up (I mean, not fancy but nice casual), dress down, with or without socks, super comfortable walking shoe is a black leather loafer style with a rubber sole.  

This is what I currently have:

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/10325639455927626268_2625133972617705612_14446?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt&gtim=CLuywNCj-rXkkAEQ87343r-26ujvARiwwvs9IgNVU0QokNz15AUw7nA&utm_campaign=14446&gclid=Cj0KCQjwg73kBRDVARIsAF-kEH_8n8u6dXZoNPv6ooIvic57Csoqw_dX-KHM9XJERJUej3Wp49zgSToaAhABEALw_wcB

My last pair similar to this was an Ecco brand too.  They're great, high quality, and last for years.

• Thanks 1

I've worn my Land's End all weather mocs for over a decade.  I've been banned from wearing them in public anymore, so they are my go-to gardening shoes now.  I bought them before Sears bought out Land's End and the quality eroded.  I'm guessing LL Bean or REI would have a similar shoe.  They are comfortable, waterproof, and have held up to hard wear for about 12 years.  I love those shoes.

This is my exact shoe  https://poshmark.com/listing/All-weather-suede-mocs-5c7bf897df0307506fba6322?ad_partner=google&campaign_id=1076453905&enable_guest_buy_flow=true&gclid=Cj0KCQjwg73kBRDVARIsAF-kEH_at2xapn6HmxwQb88VJU5qpE2d7Ii1h-KUlGhSDk6s83Qm9Yz1rv8aAjTtEALw_wcB&gdm_bottom=false&l_con=PREOWNED%2FUSED&utm_campaign=1076453905&utm_source=gdm

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a pair of fleece lined Crocs that I wear almost all of the time. The can get a little warm at about 90+ degrees but with a pair of socks they have never been too cold. The pair I have doesn't have the holes in the top so they are more water proof than normal but can get wet if it is really deep snow or water. Probably not the best with a skirt or dress but so comfortable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Black combat boots (short ones). They are not exactly perfect for everything, but they sure do work for many different purposes. They are one of the two shoes I took to France in March and I wore them 90% of the time. They worked despite rain and snow, they were reasonably comfortable while walking 8-10 miles a day and they look stylish for many outfits. 

They can even be worn with skirts or leggings, though admittedly, that is a particular funky look that does not suit everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't see how you could have one shoe for all four seasons, and I know you said non-athletic, but these are one of the most comfortable shoes I've owned. I have the light gray pair and have found them fairly versatile as to what I can wear them with. I put them on one morning to go outside, and I normally don't wear shoes around the house. I realized hours later that I had worn them all day without even thinking about it. They are not waterproof, though, so I am careful and the toe area does get wet in much rain. 

https://www.amazon.com/Skechers-Breathe-Fortune-Fashion-Sneaker/dp/B01J6FL9Z4/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3K3K8192CL79B&keywords=skechers%2Bair%2Bcooled%2Bmemory%2Bfoam%2Bwomens&qid=1552995540&s=gateway&sprefix=skecher's%2Bair%2Bcooled%2Bmemory%2Bfoam%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-8&th=1