Menu

New Years food

alisoncooks

Do you have special food planned for New Years?

We did appetizers last year, and the girls wanted to repeat that. I've got: pizza dip (someone here shared recently), TJ's samosas, TJ's macarons, apples and dip, mozzarella sticks, and pigs 'n a blanket. Oh, and sparkling grape juice. 😄

Haha, and I grabbed some Cheese Whiz and crackers. I saw it and tossed it in the cart. My kids have never tried it before and I was feeling nostalgic...

• Like 2

We're doing appetizers too, but at a party so everybody is bringing some to share. I'm doing sweet n sour meatballs and salsa/ground beef/cheese sauce with tortilla chips. Probably I'll  throw in some cookies too if I can get DD to make some tomorrow. I'm also bringing my homemade hot chocolate mix.

Years ago, a poster by the name of Mindy had the most tantalizing recipe for baked brie. All I can remember is that you halved a brie wheel, spread raspberry (or any?) jelly on it and then baked it. Someone know what I am talking about?  🙂 😂

53 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Do you have special food planned for New Years?

We did appetizers last year, and the girls wanted to repeat that. I've got: pizza dip (someone here shared recently), TJ's samosas, TJ's macarons, apples and dip, mozzarella sticks, and pigs 'n a blanket. Oh, and sparkling grape juice. 😄

Haha, and I grabbed some Cheese Whiz and crackers. I saw it and tossed it in the cart. My kids have never tried it before and I was feeling nostalgic...

I did that pizza dip for Christmas and it was quite good! It did remind me more of lasagna filling than pizza, but still yummy!

I usually spend the evening with my son and his girlfriend. And since she and I are both vegans, we kind of have to plan ahead for festive type dishes. So today she came over and we scoured our vegan cookbooks and decided we were going to go to the effort of making queso and other types of dips that we usually don't want to bother with. We've done our shopping and added some non-vegan things for my son, especially a bunch of frozen crap that he only eats on this one day.

I'm looking forward to spending the time with her cooking and later playing games. It's always a good night.

• Like 2

We always do Chinese on New Year's Eve. Takeout. Our tradition is that you have to open a fortune cookie at midnight and it's your fortune for the whole year.

New Year's Day requires collards and field peas. Dollars and sense. I do them different ways... often in a soup with ham. Not sure yet what I'll do this year.

3 hours ago, Teacher Mom said:

Got to have black eye peas along with cabbage to symbolize money. In our case, black eye pea jambalaya  and creamed cabbage topped with paprika and coarse black pepper (2 different things). I can't remember a New Year's meal without those 2 symbolic ingredients. 

Same here.  Black eyed peas and greens every year.  No one where I live knows about this tradition.  It took three stores to even find the legumes this year!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

Okay, here is my part of the menu. We are going to friends' house and don't know what they will have but we are contributing a hedgehog and baked brie with apple cider.

Is hedgehog a typo or a tradition I don't know about?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xahm said:

Is hedgehog a typo or a tradition I don't know about?

No typo - definitely not.

Take a pineapple, cut a thin slice off any side. Cut off the green top. Set pineapple down on sliced side. Put cheese squares and grapes on toothpicks and put them into the pineapple body. On the side where you cut the green top off, put a face with only grapes. Voila, here is your hedgehog. My mother got this from somebody in Norway. Evidently it was a favorite party treat there.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/95490454573766984

This website says, it's a British thing...who knows and Britain and Norway are not that far apart. 

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

we do

shrimp cocktail

brie

egg nog

martinelli's/ginger ale

chocolates

other stuff

I want to come to your house! Yum!

No eggnog here and the dairy bothers me anyway. 

I think we are making some guacamole (because avocados are plentiful here) and maybe trying some Palestinian crackers or sweets (easier to just buy, tho). Cheese is pretty expensive,  except for haloumi and feta. 

I have always had black eyed peas and greens but I hate black eyed peas and only tolerate greens. I had planned to do tamales as my stepmom does but my DD had a friend sleepover last night and you never know how other ppls kids will react to ethnic foods. So, homemade pizza last night and green chili enchiladas with arroz con gandules tonight. Still super tasty and my friends from Belize gave me props.

Edited by Sneezyone

On 12/31/2018 at 2:15 AM, Amira said:

If I can find Chex, I make Chex Mix.  I usually make pulled noodles because I can do that anywhere, but I’m not sure if I’m feeling that ambitious this year. Maybe on the 1st.

I made a GIANT two gallon batch on Christmas Eve. I had to toss the (empty!) bag yesterday, lol.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1