Menu

What's with the ads?

Murphy101

Get rid of it all 2019

I sorted through all the stuff that a mom just gave me.  Kept the some of the clothes, some books, and a few other things .  But took a carload to donation yesterday.  That felt great.   I am not feeling guilty about it.  That is my biggest problem is that I feel guilty for getting rid of things that people give us, that still have value, or there is nothing wrong with them.  

Now I need to handle the carload of Christmas presents sitting in the basement they got from extended family.  Boooo.   

• Like 4

On 1/10/2019 at 8:56 PM, BooksandBoys said:

I’m unloading books too (yikes!), but I’m struggling because in the last few years, I’ve noticed a significant drop in the library’s retention of the old books, even the really well known ones. I’m trying to be brave. I have way more books than we can reasonably read in the next 10 years of schooling. 😂

I can declutter/KonMari anything.....except books. I have always had the rule, for my books, that I only buy books that I use or will definitely re-read. But I now also have a lot of books that I might not re-read, but one of my children might want to read when they are a bit older. And my library is getting rid of soooo many good books, Dutch books and the few English books they had. They still might have Stephen King, but when I last checked, they didn't have 1984 anymore.

I am getting rid of all books my youngest has grown out of, so that is something.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'm wading through 29 boxes of saved hs work--4 boxes out the door! I had saved EVERY paper that my kids ever scribbled on, and I'm sorting them now. The plan is for ONE box for elem/ms for each kid and then their 4 years of expando-files of high school work. And we're keeping 4-h books, of course. I found two hysterical essays of dd's--the one finishing the doctorate in Baroque violin. One was on an antique violin at a museum that made her sad as no one was playing it, and one was how she was going to become a violin teacher! I sent her photos. 

• Like 3

For mugs, I rotate them. I have a display hanging stand thing and the fun ones go on there. But I also have christmas ones, which get put away until christmas, and when those come out the others go away. If space is an issue you could rotate like that. 

• Like 1

Today I talked to dh about some of my goals from the past few years. One of the goals I have not made much progress with is my desire to declutter the whole house. I told him he could pick any room or space in the house and I would start there. I promised to consult him on shared items or things that belong to him. He is not bothered by clutter and hates to get rid of stuff. He'll keep something for years and years and then the one time he has a use for it, he makes a big deal about it. Meanwhile, I've tripped over it, cleaned it, and moved it around all those years. Anyway, he wanted to start in the kitchen and agreed to help me. We went through over half the cabinets and drawers and have a box of things to donate!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Tress said:

I can declutter/KonMari anything.....except books. I have always had the rule, for my books, that I only buy books that I use or will definitely re-read. But I now also have a lot of books that I might not re-read, but one of my children might want to read when they are a bit older. And my library is getting rid of soooo many good books, Dutch books and the few English books they had. They still might have Stephen King, but when I last checked, they didn't have 1984 anymore.

I am getting rid of all books my youngest has grown out of, so that is something.

This is the problem, yes. So, I’m devluttering books, but very carefully. I’d rather still have too many than not be able to find what I want/need. The collections seem to be shifting more and more to very current works, and when books are lost or retired due to damage, they aren’t replaced. 

I worked on my closet (one of the post-move dumping grounds) this week and made some progress. Relocated some things and threw away/donated three bags of randomness that I haven’t touched since we moved in. 🙂

• Like 1

I have two issues that hold me back.

1) On books - when we married, dh and I signed up to get the “100 greatest books every written,” (or something like that) from Eaton Press. We paid about $43 per book per month at the time for 8.3333333333 years to obtain them..  I would love to get rid of them (ds has said he does NOT want them when we die), but dh won’t let them go. However, they are nicely arranged on shelves and aren’t truly taking up any space that could be used for anything else. 

2) We have an off-site storage unit (5 x 5 in size only) of which, 1/3 is “carp” that belongs to ds.  Even if we could figure out how to get that to him in a cost-effective manner (he’s on the opposite coast!), I still don’t think we could be storage-unit free.  We are in a 935 sq ft condo now. Not much storage at all in the unit.  We do have on-site storage, but it’s not climate-controlled and holds “beach stuff” and financial documents. I truly am glad we down-sized, but it might have been TOO drastic of a change.  I wish we had about 1,200-1,300 sq ft.  I think that would make all the difference between off-site storage and not. 

So, I sort of feel defeated before we ever start.  I just don’t think I can get out of off-site storage, and I just don’t have that much left too purge.  I’m not very motivated because I don’t see that I can gain that much. 😞

Edited by Hoggirl
  • Like 2

Little bits and pieces done yesterday.

1. OTC drugs are stored on a rack in our closet. Anything that looked old and didn't have an expiration date went. Anything expired went. Freed up enough room to get the extra shaving cream and liquid soap off the floor!
  2. I found 3 boxes of dollhouse furniture buried behind a clothes bin in our closet. Kids went through them and moved some into their dollhouses. I put the building supplies into my bin designated for that purpose. Was able to pare from 3 boxes to 2. 
  3. I pulled some picture books from the bookshelves. Kids put a couple back but pulled some chapter books. Came up with about 15 books to put in the Little Free Library in front of our local elementary school.
  4. Put DD's pj's into the donation pile after they were washed - she's outgrown them. Found her 1 pair in the hand me down bin and let my mom loose online - she has new pairs coming (there may be many, many coming!)
  5. Went through the 3 drawers in my nightstand (didn't get to the top yet though). Put some books in the library bin to take for donation. Threw away some garbage and found the cord/crimpy things to restring American Girl dolls that I will see if I can sell on ebay. 

Today is kitchen clean-up, pre-cooking day and catch up laundry day, so I don't know if I will get to decluttering.

• Like 2

I am late to this decluttering party but I have been decluttering slowly but surely this past week. 

1. I started small and cleaned out the cabinet under the bathroom sink. Now everything we truly use actually fits without spilling out when the doors are opened!

2. I cleaned out 1 of 2 drawers under the bathroom sink. Kids are so sloppy and gross with toothpaste! 😠 

3. I cleaned out the linen closet that is just outside the bathroom in the hallway.  Once again, the door now closes nicely and there is no avalanche waiting on the other side of it. One bag of old mismatched towels out to the SUV to be donated.

4. Dd and I went through all her clothes and put 3 trash bags full of outgrown clothing in the SUV. 2 bags to a friend. 1 bag to a charity. Now we have a list of what she needs in her current size and I took pictures of a few pretty tunic tops that need skirts or leggings because nothing she has goes with them.

5. I did the Kon Mari method on all of the boys' clothes. That was a huge hours long project. But, now all of their clothes available to them in their dressers and hanging in their closet fit them! And the clothes fit in the spaces designated for them. There are 2 boxes of boy clothes going to a relative, 2 trash bags of boy clothes and shoes going to a friend, and another 2 trash bags going to a charity. I was determined to fit it all in my SUV so that next time I leave the house, I have to drop it all off at the different locations to have space my vehicle again for children and/or groceries! 😂 Its packed full! Feels great!

6. Today I am working on paperwork. So far I have everything in one space and I have sorted most of it. I have one trash bag full of paper to shred. I have one plastic milk crate that's still half full. Once I'm done sorting that, I have to figure out how I want to organize and streamline paperwork. I am open to suggestions. I need something portable since I don't have an office. I also plan on going through any bills that come in the mail and setting up paperless statements. They are all on auto pay anyway, so why am I still hassling with paper statements??

It was fun reading through this thread the last couple days in between decluttering times to see what everyone else has been up to. 😊

• Like 2

On 1/12/2019 at 10:30 AM, mommyoffive said:

That is my biggest problem is that I feel guilty for getting rid of things that people give us, that still have value, or there is nothing wrong with them.  

Don't feel guilty! Those items will be a blessing to someone! They will be used and appreciated. We have gotten many excellent quality clothes, shoes, books, etc. at thrift shops. We are on a tight budget and it is so encouraging to get nice things for not much money. 

• Like 7

I did Wild Thing's room yesterday. He really does play with all the toys, so I didn't cull too much. Mostly cleaning and reorganizing. I took about one kitchen trash bag in the trash, while several large toys and a stack of clothes go to thrift.

Next up:

framed photos

kitchen

34 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Don't feel guilty! Those items will be a blessing to someone! They will be used and appreciated. We have gotten many excellent quality clothes, shoes, books, etc. at thrift shops. We are on a tight budget and it is so encouraging to get nice things for not much money. 

Yes, what a good reminder.  I need to think that way instead of the guilt.  I want to look up a women and children's shelter and see if they would want toys and clothes.  I don't know how easy that will be since I heard a lot of them don't want their addresses to be known. 

• Like 3

Two bags of kids' clothes going another family....

and I deep cleaned the refrigerator this weekend.  Took everything out--food, shelves, drawers--scrubbed it all, and it looks so much nicer now.  How do fridges get so filthy?

• Like 1

Today, I tossed 3 couch pillows.  I have hated them for, I don't know, about 3 years? They came with our (very first brand-new, and expensive by my standards) sectional couch. They were too big and heavy to be practical, and they constantly oozed feathers that would wind up everywhere. My only reason for keeping the all this time was that they came with the couch!  Now they're gone.

I also "detailed" my vacuum, which was already prettty dirty, but downright disgusting after all this cleaning!

• Like 3

Reading this thread made me realize places I could declutter.  Typically I love decluttering so I don't have big areas to do but there are some small ones sneaking by.

The medicine/vitamin box above my microwave. It's in a hard to get to spot because we are blessed to almost never need it. By the time we do almost everything is expired anyway.

The science cabinet. I suppose because it's in the garage I forget about it especially since I'm not doing much science this year. Kids are doing dual enrollment, car science with Dad, or simple do it themselves things as I focus on other subjects. I bet I could get rid of 70-80% of that stuff and never miss it. 

Edited to add, I offered to clean it all out and consolidate stuff so DH could use the shelves. He doesn't even want them and stated he just needs to get rid of stuff. 😱

Edited by frogger
  • Like 3

I've been decluttering pretty heavily since June with stops for the holidays and illness.

1. I cleared out my kitchen appliance cabinet and am donating the big pile to my friend who says they can use the items to cook for the after school program at her school.

2.  Cleaned out a stack of National Geographics I had intended to use for craft projects.

3. Moved some medical supplies out of the bedroom.

4.  Got several nicer purses to a stagin area to sell on ebay.

5. Rearranged my kitchen cabinets so everything is easier to put away. 

I watch this lady on youtube, Sophia, when I want company cleaning, purging, or rearranging. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, frogger said:

The science cabinet. I suppose because it's in the garage I forget about it especially since I'm not doing much science this year. Kids are doing dual enrollment, car science with Dad, or simple do it themselves things as I focus on other subjects. I bet I could get rid of 70-80% of that stuff and never miss it. 

I have been procrastinating on science stuff.  Well, homeschool stuff in general has me in avoidance/denial mode, but science in particular. See, I hate teaching science, but it's also really important to me. So I invested heavily in it through a combination of sales and well timed bonus checks, lol. I have quite a lot of elementary and middle school lab stuff, plus an assortment of curriculum and random books. But I put my elementary and middle school students in co-op science classes so I don't have to do it!

It needs to happen, but I'm going to continue to push it to the botttom of the list.

• Like 3

I spent most of yesterday in the kitchen, so I straightened/decluttered a few things in there. 

I cleaned the bottom of the pantry where big containers go to die. Threw out the a couple of containers of dried out lemonade mix and took out an empty Tupperware container, swept it, and put back the oatmeal, ramen and sweet potatoes. I decided I should probably get rid of the stack of Taste of Home magazines as well. I just haven't pulled them - there are most likely some bits of paper stuck in the stack and I didn't have time to go through them. 

I have one of those deep corner cupboards that is hard to reach in - you have to sit on the floor and crawl in to reach anything.I'm hoping to be able to downsize enough to leave it empty. It's huge, dark, and I lose things in there. I glanced in yesterday and just closed it back up. Maybe that is today's job? 

• Like 1

A little reflecting:

I think part of my problem with getting rid of "stuff" and better managing the rest, at least in the past few years, has been because my house needs so much REAL work. This small space has taken a beating over 13+ years with so many people and pets, in addition to the more average stuff. The carpets are battered, laminate has gaps, tiles are cracked, and I'm not sure if there's a single wall that hasn't been patched and spackled or at least needs to be, whether from natural cracks, a leaking roof, or kids being obnoxious. Purging and cleaning wasn't going to be solving the problems that were outside of our budget and time.

Now that I've been working on it anyway, yeah, some things are standing out more. But instead of making things feel more pointless, it's got me and even dh trying to think a little more creatively and looking at what we can do on the cheap. So painting is going to get under way as soon as the weather allows. (I don't want to live in paint fumes through the winter.) We're looking at doing flooring ourselves, even though that's not my first choice, but dh did a good job in the girls' room a long time ago. I'm going to learn how to fix crooked cabinet doors once and for all. And I'm considering going with laminate countertops because my dream counters aren't going to happen anytime soon and my crumbling counters (which began crumbling shortly after moving in) are probably what bother me the most.

So, my to do list is growing and growing, but in an exciting way instead of a paralyzingly way.  Plus, paint and flooring means moving lots of books, so that's some extra motivation to get really critical about what to keep.  Other stuff, too, but seriously - the books!!!

My one regret is that I didn't get more radical when putting away Christmas stuff. I keep thinking about what I could have eliminated before it got boxed up and put in an inconvenient location. I've been able to go back to other stuff and find things to toss on a second look, but Christmas won't come out again for another 10+ months.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, beckyjo said:

I spent most of yesterday in the kitchen, so I straightened/decluttered a few things in there. 

I cleaned the bottom of the pantry where big containers go to die. Threw out the a couple of containers of dried out lemonade mix and took out an empty Tupperware container, swept it, and put back the oatmeal, ramen and sweet potatoes. I decided I should probably get rid of the stack of Taste of Home magazines as well. I just haven't pulled them - there are most likely some bits of paper stuck in the stack and I didn't have time to go through them. 

I have one of those deep corner cupboards that is hard to reach in - you have to sit on the floor and crawl in to reach anything.I'm hoping to be able to downsize enough to leave it empty. It's huge, dark, and I lose things in there. I glanced in yesterday and just closed it back up. Maybe that is today's job? 

That’s where I’d put in something like a bagged item - cookie cutters or the like, that I could keep in a mwah bag or basket and slide in and out of there easily. Or lunch pails in a basket - same idea of being able to grab the front lip on the basket and slide the whole thing out with no drama.

Saturday I was able to get some things done before going stay at dd’s to help her get ready for dgd’s bday party yesterday (and I actually bought dgd -3- two very practical gifts; a pottery barn backpack because she was obsessed with her older sister’s, and it’s something she can use when she starts spending the night here or at her other grandparents’ house, and a triple dolly bunk bed to take the place of a cradle so they have room for their Bitty Babies and AG doll.

That particular dd is working toward minimalist herself and prefers to just add on to things they have versus getting new, less useful toys.

Anyway, I tackled my upstairs closet that had a lot of craft stuff, stampin up stamp sets I’ll never use, wrapping paper, ribbon, and all my pics that aren’t in albums, as well as bigger ones that need framing and framed ones that need changing. I have pulled out everything I knew needed to go, and I now have to really delve into what I’ve kept and see if I can eliminate some of it. It’s definitely an all-day project, so I couldn’t finish Saturday, but might try to get to the rest after my eye doctor appt.

Gonna put the stampin up sets on eBay and throw in some of the random craft items with those just to see if I can get a little pocket change. I mean why not?

My kitchen counters and table got tackled too. My counters weren’t really bad, but I did have a couple decorative items that just really didn’t need to be there. My fruit basket on the kitchen table had become a catch-all for random crap, so I cleaned it out and removed it from the table. I relocated it to a spot on the counter because my chickens are starting to lay, and I’m gonna use it to store eggs.

The only thing I’m struggling with on the counter is my stainless compost bin. Any suggestions for a better place for it? I like to collect scraps for my chickens, so I love having it, but just don’t love it sitting out by my sink.

It’s fun to see your progress, everyone. Nice work! 

The kids and I decluttered the basement/toy area yesterday. Three bags of trash (WHY do my children keep everything??) and a bag to donate. Yay! 

• Like 1

I am going through this very weird thing where I have this nagging feeling that we need to get rid of a ton of stuff, and yet no indication at all that we would be moving soon. I mean, the feeling is so strong that I've look around the house and thought, "I should haul about 70% of it out of here and have a bon fire in the back yard! So bizarre!

At any rate, for today a small box of mugs - we have our favorites such as NAR, NASA, and college mugs that we always drink from so who needs 25 other coffee mugs???? - and a box of books went out of here.

I have a small cabinet of decorative supplies that I never use. All of that is getting bagged up and donated.

I filled a bag with trash from DD's bedroom floor yesterday, and Saturday I actually dropped 2 bags of outgrown/cast-off clothes to Goodwill. DS voluntarily winnowed out some shirts that were too small. I let her know that next time I tell her to fill a bag with trash, if she doesn't do it, I'll just throw out one of her garbage bags full of stuff in the shed (there are upwards of a dozen of them). The stuff I piled on her couch and against the wall that weren't trash, she was ordered to find homes for and put away.

GF volunteered our 4th bedroom (home of DH's server, supposed to be a functional craft room, currently playing the role of oversized clutter-repository from cleaning elsewhere) to some friends who are coming in from out of state for a funeral in a few weeks. So, the pressure is now on me to get that room (except the server, it's pretty much all my and a little bit the kids' stuff in there) cleaned up and put in order in time for guests! I have 2 weekends to get it done, and cookie season is nearly up on us. Argh!

• Like 1

Yesterday, I recycled the Taste of Home magazines. It's easier to search Pinterest for recipes than a magazine. I cleaned off the top of my nightstand. I listed one thing on FB Marketplace; 3 bites, but no pickup yet. It was mainly a get-it-out-of-the-house day. I dropped off books at the library and the little free library. I donated a box to Salvation Army. I mailed out a Kindle that I sold on ebay. I gave a pile of little kid stuff to a friend. 

Today, I've got some errands and schoolwork to do with the kids. Declutter-wise, I'd like to take stuff out of the corner cabinet in the kitchen and see what's in there. I'd like to list one more thing for sale today. I've got a few things in the pile to sell, just have to get up the gumption. 

• Like 2

I got some stuff listed on eBay yesterday. If it doesn’t sell, I’ll give local a try for an overall cheaper price and, if that doesn’t work, all the stampin up stuff gets donated. I’d love to pick up a little money from that particular stuff, but ultimately, getting rid of it is what matters.

Did some food prep for the week the rest of the day, and two of my dds were here for dinner with their kids, so didn’t really accomplish much else in the way of cleaning out.

Question - I’m curious as to what yall think for a kitchen table - cleaned off completely, or some little decoration in the center? Mine is right when you come in my back door, and is kinda long and narrow - very rustic. It looks empty without the basket collecting crap, but IDK if I need to just get used to it, or put something there. If so, what?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StaceyinLA said:

Question - I’m curious as to what yall think for a kitchen table - cleaned off completely, or some little decoration in the center? Mine is right when you come in my back door, and is kinda long and narrow - very rustic. It looks empty without the basket collecting crap, but IDK if I need to just get used to it, or put something there. If so, what?

We have a pretty little blown glass oil lamp that I keep on a trivet with the salt and pepper grinders in the middle of our table. When I’m doing well at keeping the area nice. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

We have a pretty little blown glass oil lamp that I keep on a trivet with the salt and pepper grinders in the middle of our table. When I’m doing well at keeping the area nice. 

A cute salt/pepper set would be a neat idea, and it hit me right after I posted; maybe a cute napkin holder for some cloth napkins.

Still open to other suggestions as well.

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StaceyinLA said:

I got some stuff listed on eBay yesterday. If it doesn’t sell, I’ll give local a try for an overall cheaper price and, if that doesn’t work, all the stampin up stuff gets donated. I’d love to pick up a little money from that particular stuff, but ultimately, getting rid of it is what matters.

Did some food prep for the week the rest of the day, and two of my dds were here for dinner with their kids, so didn’t really accomplish much else in the way of cleaning out.

I like it cleaned off but it never is, we have no sideboard or anything so napkins, salt and pepper, and a little vase of flowers sit in the middle (on a good day when it’s not covered in school stuff)

• Like 2

I feel the need to share here as well - even in a wheelchair we did manage to get rid of SOME toys last night while moving from the back living room to the front (JUST finished remodeling the front one and now the back is up for de-wallpapering and flooring).

Even just two two bags of stuff that went out (okay, bag and a half) helped so much with kid clutter.  Adult clutter isn’t my challenge and I’ve already pared my own belongings down well.  But kid clutter drives me NUTS and it grows like a cancer after every special event 😵

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StaceyinLA said:

I can get a small bunch of fresh cut flowers at my grocery store for $4.  They last about 10 days.  I usually get 2 bunches and put them on my dining table. If I didn't like an empty kitchen table I would put out a single bunch.  I love a bit of outdoors inside and a pop of color.

• Like 3

Right now I have a candle on mine.  I had a table runner from Thanksgiving through New Year's.  I like having a table runner sometimes, and then not sometimes.  I have two figurines and a bowl that put on the table runner, that can go on my china cabinet and on a lamp table.  I put holiday decorations on the china cabinet and lamp table sometimes.  

I like either way. 

re: kitchen table- I have a large antique crock that holds our fruit in the middle, cloth napkins go on the windowsill. In the middle of the dining table is a wicker basket of sorts that holds cloth napkins, I put the salt and pepper there when we eat and if I have flowers they go in a vase in the middle.

5 hours ago, StaceyinLA said:

We have a wooden bowl of nuts, lol. Symbolic, simple, and practical!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

We don't actually have a kitchen table. The "dining area" in our townhouse has DH's and GF's computers on desks along one wall, and the kids (and me when I decide to eat in there and everyone is there at once so no one else's spot is free) sit at folding chairs in front of TV trays behind DH's and GF's chairs to eat.

The kitchen tables we used to have live on the patio and have gotten very weather-beaten, but still get covered and used for big get-togethers. One is about ready for the dumpster, though (one leg is splitting vertically and it's gotten quite wobbly). If we had bulk pick up here, we'd have gotten rid of it by now.

Got a small load to the thrift of seasonal items:  brand new wrapping paper, easter basket and eggs, two pumpkins.  I was scared the thrift would be full due to Marie Kondo's video series on Netflix but it was not.

I might tackle the attic tomorrow.  Have to work on that in the winter.

• Like 1

I need to go thrifting! lol!

I thought you all might be interested to hear that I mariekondo-ed the kids clothes with each kid today. I have a whole laundry basket of things they’ve rejected, and they each teamed with me and got the drawers neatly arranged. The two girls dressers (actually 3-drawer nightstands, roomy enough) are full, but ds freed up an entire bottom drawer of his dresser. He’s excited about that. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

I need to go thrifting! lol!

I thought you all might be interested to hear that I mariekondo-ed the kids clothes with each kid today. I have a whole laundry basket of things they’ve rejected, and they each teamed with me and got the drawers neatly arranged. The two girls dressers (actually 3-drawer nightstands, roomy enough) are full, but ds freed up an entire bottom drawer of his dresser. He’s excited about that. 

My oldest daughter’s girls each have a little 3 drawer chest from Ikea that’s more like a nightstand. The drawers were loaded and things were so messy. She did the Marie Kondo folding thing with their stuff, and it was an amazing transformation. I can’t believe how much she can fit in those tiny drawers.

I wound up doing it for my things in my 3 drawer chest (from Ikea, but bigger). I don’t really have a ton of clothes, but I like how I can see everything.

I’m forever trying to get my second dd to do it for her 3 kids’ drawers because they’re ridiculous.

• Like 2

Yesterday, I cleared all the clutter off the top of one of the filing cabinets in my office at work. Things have been slow here...

My goals for this weekend:

1. Get the Craft Room at least halfway picked up. Right now, it's a disaster. Boxes of stuff thrown up there when cleaning other parts of the house, months of clutter from DD not cleaning up after herself properly when doing craft projects... and so on.

2. Spend at least an hour working on DS's room. It is so far beyond him even knowing where to start on his own, I want to get it into order and then start working with him on keeping it that way. I'm hoping if I can declutter and organize things he will like the space more and actually remember he has toys.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, StaceyinLA said:

My oldest daughter’s girls each have a little 3 drawer chest from Ikea that’s more like a nightstand. The drawers were loaded and things were so messy. She did the Marie Kondo folding thing with their stuff, and it was an amazing transformation. I can’t believe how much she can fit in those tiny drawers.

I wound up doing it for my things in my 3 drawer chest (from Ikea, but bigger). I don’t really have a ton of clothes, but I like how I can see everything.

I’m forever trying to get my second dd to do it for her 3 kids’ drawers because they’re ridiculous.

I was totally against her folding technique when I read her book.  I watcher her series and tried it and was amazed.  I did everything!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I attacked the attic (not done) and am resting after dragging it all down.  I have to get it loaded up and hit the thrift and the dump again.  I think I'll take a break for the weekend.  I need to clean up since I stirred up all kinds of dust and uncovered a lot of dirt and dead bugs. 

• Like 2

I attacked the scary corner cupboard. There wasn't as much stuff back there as I had feared. I did have many mixing bowls stuffed in there. I gave about 4 bowls to my brother - he only had Pyrex that he's been using, so he thought he would try these. It now holds my large crockpot, the 2 quart pitcher, DH's iced tea machine and a stack of mixing bowls. Everything can be grabbed from the door. A couple of things made it to the donation pile.

I finally got someone to come pick up the bed tent (one of those hang-y fairy things for over the bed); I had to go through 3 people on FB marketplace, but it's finally gone.

I straightened all of the board games so they don't look crammed in there anymore although I didn't de-clutter any. We're playing through them this year (there are 49 games in there), and I will ditch those that are no longer loved. I could probably sell one or two of the chess sets and clocks - all three of my kids did tournaments for a couple years, so they all had their own travel bag. No one has done a tournament for 2 years. 

I bought Christmas paper at Dollar Tree after the holiday, and it is still sitting in my bedroom. Today, I have to figure out where to store the paper - it's too long for my under the bed box. Maybe I should look under the bed too? Who knows what's been kicked under there over the years!

• Like 2

Crawled under the bed yesterday. Got rid of some gift boxes, organized the gift wrap, and tamed giant dust bunnies. Listed 2 mermaid blankets on FB since the kids prefer to snuggle together with one giant blanket over them. I put a set of sheets into the donate pile - DH said he didn't like the feel of them.

I really should go through the dollhouse stuff; it's the last big area of my stuff. I'm trying not to touch anyone else's stuff unless they ask. 

• Like 3

I've been bringing in bins from my shed to go through. I cleaned up the house last year by shoving stuff out there because I had no time or energy for anything else. 

I'd rather go through it out there than drag it back in but it's too cold!

I took several bags to the thrift shop last week, we'll see if I can pull off more this week.

• Like 4

Yay! One of the college kids just took two truck loads of stuff away with him. YAY!

• Like 7

I know sometimes "less is more" but right now I think I need more of a few things to simplify my life, ironically. I want some more short cups (that will actually fit in the dishwasher) and some more 4 cup pyrex bowls. Dh keeps "stealing" them. I asked him if they were at his work and he said yes. I'll wait til we move to get the cups at least. We never seem to have enough silverware, either. I don't run the dishwasher before people need something from it and I end up taking items out and hand washing. It's not very efficient. 

I got rid of two Halloween costumes and a few other items recently. We were told the school painted our new home and cleaned it so I hope it's move-in ready soon. I think we might have some things that need to be done first, but we need to get a key back to look. I was hoping we'd get the key on Friday so we would have this three day weekend to do things. If I knew we were moving in I could start taking items I know we're keeping over. 

@beckyjo I have seen some neat ideas online, like a thing attached to a closet corner or back of a closet door and you store the paper standing up. If you had the room you could probably get away with a piece of twine, maybe two pieces a foot or so apart, acting as your wall for the paper so it stands between the closet wall and the twine. None of my current closets have been very accessible for that, but I might do something like that in the future. I just looked up ideas again. I think I'll look for tension rods. I'm not sure how easy it is to find exactly what I need. http://makingcooleystuff.blogspot.com/2013/02/closet-organization-easy-wrapping-paper.html

• Like 3

Oh!  For wrapping paper! Attach it like a huge paper towel holder underneath a table. Then you can use the top of the table for wrapping.  Out of sight. Out of mind. And yet right where you need it when you need it. 

• Like 3

I'm almost through sorting out a bin of mostly toys that were covered in chalk. We have a gymnastics mini bar and I had purchased powdered chalk in a bag for the kids to use with it and somehow the chalk bag ended up exploded all over this bin. 

It was mostly duplos and magformers which fortunately rince off easily. What a mess though. 

I need to go finish.

Not giving away anything from that bin but I did throw out a few things that weren't worth cleaning or were junk anyway.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I know sometimes "less is more" but right now I think I need more of a few things to simplify my life, ironically. 

Having the right tools for the job is a valid part of minimizing. It’s not just about getting rid of stuff. It’s about making sure you have the right stuff in the right places too. 

• Like 5