Menu

What's with the ads?

Murphy101

Get rid of it all 2019

I'm joining in.  We're packing up the house right now because we settle on our new home at the end of Feb.  This weekend, we're doing some major packing and decluttering. My goal for this weekend is to pack up the playroom, and our 2 remaining bedrooms, except for the clothes we'll need. My other goal is to fill the van up entirely of stuff for goodwill.

Dh and the oldest 3 are out for the evening, so I plan on tackling the playroom with the younger two tonight

• Like 2

Got dh to get rid of 5 button up shirts today.  That was huge!  I'm going to try to get him to give me 5 items a week.  Maybe I can get him to play the Minimalist Game.  I have done several rounds of that where you get rid of 1 item on the first of the month, 2 on the second and so on. 

• Like 3

I made a huge dent in the playroom tonight. I'd say it is 90% packed.  I filled up a bag of trash and two bags for Goodwill.  I wanted to get more done but both kids had fevers pop up and needed lots of cuddles.  Thankfully the fevers are gone again. More packing will commence tomorrow

• Like 2

I found a pile of DH's pants hidden in our closet yesterday. They all looked like new. I think he just put them on the upper shelf when I brought them home from Goodwill instead of trying them on maybe? I think he was channeling his inner teenager when he stuffed them up there LOL! One pair of jeans were too big, but the two pair of dress pants both fit. So, yay, free new pants and 1 pair of jeans went to the donate pile. Also found one of DH's old study guides which he threw out.

Took pictures of some dollhouse stuff to sell - hoping to list them today. Opened up the box of American Girl stuff the kids want to get rid of to start sorting/photographing to sell (DH's pants were underneath it). Someone contacted me this morning regarding one of the mermaid blankets on FB Marketplace; hopefully, she'll show up today.

• Like 2

I went through my dresser and closet yesterday.  I only produced one bag of clothing to give away, but I had gone through the closet in early December.  I re-folded all the items in my dresser drawers.  I’ve been watching Marie Kondo, and even though I had read her books in the past, I had let the folding slide.  The only thing I didn’t fold that way were sweaters - they just seem to bulky to me.  I tend to hang as many of my clothes as I can, which I think helps with soft, silky-type fabrics. 

I also went through books, but only found four to get rid of. 

I think I will do the kitchen today.  I know I am going to need a new organization tools for the drawer with the majority of the kitchen utensils.  We dont’ have much storage in our kitchen, and a lot of is inaccessible without a step stool for me. 

We did such a HUGE purge when we moved and down-sized that there isn’t that much to weed through.  But, the weather is yucky today, so it seems like a good idea to do some cleaning out today.

• Like 4

Okay, a little embarrassing here...

I finally started to tackle the last of the kitchen this morning.  I have a tiny kitchen. It is HARD to organize! I’ve rejected most standard advice because it’s such a ridiculous layout. But I was cleaning out one particular cabinet and realized I could raise the shelf in there!  Doing so made it possible to try out the whole vertical sheet pan (etc.) concept! And I think I really like it!  In turn, that freed up space under the oven and eliminated the need to store things IN the oven @@.  I also freed up some space to store lesser used items in the deep dead space I have. I’ve only gotten rid of 3 things so far, but everything seems much more under control now.

The really embarrassing part: I dove into the scary cabinet.  The lower 12” one that’s shoved in the corner and awkward to access. It only ever houses a tiny cooler (that I might ditch), the baby Fry Daddy, oils, vinegars, breadcrumbs, and onions... including very old onions!!!  One of the kids must have shoved them toward the back.  They were so gross and, once I lifted them, SMELLY!!!  Lots of scrubbing while trying to be a contortionist was involved.  I’m counting that as getting rid of major clutter! 🤢

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Okay, a little embarrassing here...

I finally started to tackle the last of the kitchen this morning.  I have a tiny kitchen. It is HARD to organize! I’ve rejected most standard advice because it’s such a ridiculous layout. But I was cleaning out one particular cabinet and realized I could raise the shelf in there!  Doing so made it possible to try out the whole vertical sheet pan (etc.) concept! And I think I really like it!  In turn, that freed up space under the oven and eliminated the need to store things IN the oven @@.  I also freed up some space to store lesser used items in the deep dead space I have. I’ve only gotten rid of 3 things so far, but everything seems much more under control now.

This was about how mine went today.  Our kitchen is also small.  I got rid of very little, but did get it better organized.  It took much longer than I expected.  I have several spaces that just aren’t that accessible, and I don’t have that much stuff that we don’t use on a regular basis, so it’s not like there are tons of things to put in there that aren’t often used.  

But, it got done, and it is definitely more logical in arrangement now. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2018 at 2:52 PM, hornblower said:

I'm trying to but I'm in such a weird head space. It's so hard for me to get rid of stuff suddenly. 

Box up what you haven't used in a while and stack the boxes in the garage.  If you don't miss having the items taking up space and/or haven't used them in 6 or 12 months, odds are you can just haul them away!

• Like 2

Joining the fun! Getting rid of old coats, snowpants, etc that I don’t want to keep around for 6 years until our 3 month will wear them, stained/ripped clothing that our 7yr old keeps shoving back into her drawer instead of washing them and putting them in the to-go box (I swear she is so attached to her ripped jeans she will weep when I throw them), getting rid of a bunch of toys and trying to only have legos, train tracks, and a SMALL smattering of Playmobil/Calico Critters. On the other hand, need to start getting some baby toys besides some crinkly Taggie square for our 3 month old (sigh. Can’t she just play with wooden spoons???) Need to ditch ugly couch, old craft stuff, and doll house that is falling apart that some one gave us, and to find a new home for our old dining room chairs. Hopefully this thread will keep me going!

• Like 3

Well yesterday we packed up about 80% of the kids room. Since today is still a weekend for us, I'll be pushing real hard to finish all the bedrooms today.  Probably, 30 minutes in the kids room and it will be done.  But then there is our room.  That shouldn't take too long though since I didn't pull much of our stuff out when we moved into my parents' house.

• Like 2

DH had another pair of pants sitting up on the top shelf in the closet!!! WTH, Dude? Well, anyway, another pair of dress pants for him. Got rid of a small piece of luggage that isn't needed anymore. Top of the closet is looking pretty good now.

Lady apologized for not coming for the blanket yesterday, begged me to come today. So we shall see if she shows up today. 

Threw away all of the old leftovers in the fridge today since it is garbage day (maybe? with the holiday maybe not?). 

• Like 1

I started going through photo boxes (anything to put off the book purge!) and found a box that wasn’t photos, but old cards. The bulk were little cards to each of the 5 kids from people we don’t like. A bunch were signed, but no idea who they were meant for. Lots were easily dumped! And we were able to find at least one sweet card to each of the kids from their great grandmother who passed away last year. 

Also reduced my binders of photo negatives from 4 to 2! Most by purging, some by combining. 

• Like 2

I've got one donate bag in the van, three more half filled (in different rooms cause I can't stick to one task LOL).

I have a preposterous number of single shoes in all sizes and can't for the life of me figure out where the matches are.

Really want ALL the stuff gone. SO TIRED OF TAKING CARE OF STUFF.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

Random bits and pieces yesterday:

I found yet more expired food in the pantry yesterday - I thought I went through it all, but obviously not. So, pantry is looking good now. Here's hoping I've gone through it all now! 

I was able to get rid of a few cookbooks, so with those and the Taste of Home magazines gone, I have a empty shelf on that small bookcase. I painted a little birdhouse one of my kids made a couple of years ago that just sat on the dining room/school counter (for those couple of years!) and it now sits on the empty shelf. It's ok as far as decoration goes. The kids little ozobot sits next to it since it can be plugged in from there - it also was just sitting on the counter for the last few weeks. 

Took pictures of some stuff and listed a few items for sale yesterday afternoon. No one came to get the blanket. I'm putting a limit of a week on anything listed for sale and then it's going to Goodwill.

Threw a puzzle that is now too easy for the kids in the donation bag.  

• Like 2

I got rid of a lot of paper clutter yesterday, stuff like kids' drawings I just took pictures of.

On 1/20/2019 at 5:56 PM, Tina said:

Box up what you haven't used in a while and stack the boxes in the garage.  If you don't miss having the items taking up space and/or haven't used them in 6 or 12 months, odds are you can just haul them away!

I second this. When we were remodeling our house last spring, we completely gutted and rebuilt our kitchen. It’s still a fairly small kitchen compared to most these days, but now it’s all completely open to our dining area/den. Even with that, I don’t have a ton of storage.

Anyway, getting off track - what I did during this time was box everything except the absolute basics. Dh had left my stove/oven just sitting in the middle of that space so we could still use it, and he did me a makeshift sink/counter combo. Once the kitchen was done, I left a box full of random kitchen items, and some pots I rarely used outside in our old schoolroom. After a couple months when I still hadn’t brought any of it in, I donated it. It’s been almost a year, and I haven’t missed a single item.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, maize said:

I got rid of a lot of paper clutter yesterday, stuff like kids' drawings I just took pictures of.

I was thinking of doing this very same thing, then uploading pics to Shutterfly and making them each a book of their old “artwork” from when they were kids. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I started going through photo boxes (anything to put off the book purge!) and found a box that wasn’t photos, but old cards. The bulk were little cards to each of the 5 kids from people we don’t like. A bunch were signed, but no idea who they were meant for. Lots were easily dumped! And we were able to find at least one sweet card to each of the kids from their great grandmother who passed away last year. 

Also reduced my binders of photo negatives from 4 to 2! Most by purging, some by combining. 

I’ve been working on photos. That part is really difficult. It’s like you don’t want to get rid of them all, but it’s way too many to scan and put into books. I’m really torn about how to handle the photos right now.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, StaceyinLA said:

I’ve been working on photos. That part is really difficult. It’s like you don’t want to get rid of them all, but it’s way too many to scan and put into books. I’m really torn about how to handle the photos right now.

Taking a picture of a photo is quicker than scanning. You can pick out your favorites and scan those for higher quality, then just snap digital photos of the rest and toss them. 

If there are too many to make into books there are too many for anyone to really enjoy. Again, make books of your favorites.

• Like 1

To add to my kitchen post above, this is something I’ve worked toward; having less, better quality items.

For instance, my dd reads a lot of minimalist stuff, and the recommendation is to have 3-4 good knives that you will USE; a good chef’s knife, good paring knife, all-purpose knife and bread knife. I have found this to be SO true. I spent a good bit on a Shun chef’s knife and it is fabulous. I’ve been looking at reviews to get a really good paring knife, and I’m gonna do the same for a basic utility knife. My Cutco bread knife is amazing, so I don’t need to replace that.

Obviously you also need steak knives, and we have a set of Cutco ones that work great, so those will stay.

I’ve done the same with pots. I don’t ever use a super tiny saucepan. I mean a 2-3qt will cook everything a 1 quart will, and lots more. So I have a nice, 3 quart saucepan, a good, covered stainless skillet, a ceramic non-stick, and a cast iron skillet (once I get more comfortable using that cast iron, I’ll likely ditch the ceramic) for eggs and pancakes, a nice stock pot and that’s pretty much it. Yeah if you cook tons and need a couple more saucepans or another big pot, have them, but I bought a set and there are a couple pans and a small saucepan I’ve never touched. I’m gonna donate them soon, and I’m never gonna purchase an actual set again - just buy the best of each size (that I can afford of course) I actually USE.

I’ve pretty much done the same with pans/dishes for the oven as well - baking stones (I keep two because if I wanna make homemade pizzas or something, I usually do two at a time), one nice, big baking pan/roaster, and a couple different sizes glass baking dishes.

2 minutes ago, maize said:

Taking a picture of a photo is quicker than scanning. You can pick out your favorites and scan those for higher quality, then just snap digital photos of the rest and toss them. 

If there are too many to make into books there are too many for anyone to really enjoy. Again, make books of your favorites.

I’ve gone through them, and I’m not sure there are many more I’m willing to toss, but I still don’t know that I would want to take the time to get them all into books. I might though - I just need to set aside time to get it done.

I work for a photographer, and she has told me she’ll help me digitize all my really old photos (like me as a baby/child), so I can make an album of those pics. For pictures of my kids, I would be fine taking those with my phone then uploading and making books. I just want them somewhere.

• Like 1

Yesterday was paper day. I did taxes, and so I cleaned out the safe where the important papers were stored. My MIL is cleaning out her lifetime's supply of paper, so she is gathering for a shred event. I'm going to put my stack into her box and she'll deliver when the next event happens. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, beckyjo said:

Yesterday was paper day. I did taxes, and so I cleaned out the safe where the important papers were stored. My MIL is cleaning out her lifetime's supply of paper, so she is gathering for a shred event. I'm going to put my stack into her box and she'll deliver when the next event happens. 

Ahhh, taxes! Gotta get on that myself!

• Like 1

I’ve been avoiding this thread. 

But ive also been busy. My laundry room had been the place that I’ve sewed for many many years. But in the past 3-4 years, I just haven’t sewed as much. Other things have taken priority. I’m considering going back to school and have been studying for some clep tests. I was trying to figure out a nice place to study and I decided to transform the sewing area of the laundry room to a study area. I cleaned out so much crap. Old patterns, quilting scraps, notions, crochet and knitting supplies that I’ll probably never pick up all need to be hauled o goodwill. And now I have a nice place to study. During the course of my purge I found several unfinished projects that I put in a drawer. One of my New Years resolutions is to complete one ufo per month. 

I’ve also purged my bookcases and need to take a pile of things to the used bookstore.  

Im working on my dresser in fits and starts.

• Like 2

Last weekend, I made some progress in the craft room and filled a bag for Goodwill. Haven't actually taken it there yet, though.

• Like 2

Changed most of my bank statements to e-delivery and shredded 4 boxes of statements. Also got rid of a hand me down futon from 1995 which nobody has used since 10 years ago and lies there because we did not have any takers for it. Finally paid the garbage company to take it away. A sit stand work desk which was in my bedroom due to lack of space is now in the place of the futon and my DS is loving a chance to have a desk that actually suits his needs. I am now trying to get rid of 6 old carseats (which O don't know how to get rid of, as usual). 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Changed most of my bank statements to e-delivery and shredded 4 boxes of statements. Also got rid of a hand me down futon from 1995 which nobody has used since 10 years ago and lies there because we did not have any takers for it. Finally paid the garbage company to take it away. A sit stand work desk which was in my bedroom due to lack of space is now in the place of the futon and my DS is loving a chance to have a desk that actually suits his needs. I am now trying to get rid of 6 old carseats (which O don't know how to get rid of, as usual). 

You may be able to recycle the car seats, but it's becoming harder to do so. This site tells you if a recycling center in your area takes them. http://recycleyourcarseat.org/where-do-i-recycle-my-seat/

If there is not a center for recycling in your area, remove the covers, write EXPIRED or DAMAGED all over it with a sharpie, slash the straps, and trash it. Trash the covers separately so people won't pick them out of the trash. If you have some aggression to get out, break out the reciprocating saw and slice it in half - that's what DH did with our kids' old car seats. 

• Like 2

Just wanted to report that I’m now somewhere in between happy obsession and what have I done!

Getting all of the basic/big/obvious stuff has been awesome, but now I’m constantly finding things/areas to add to my list and it’s beginning to feel more overwhelming than all the work I’ve done over the past two months!

• Like 1

I haven't done much in the past few days, but I need to focus on the piles that need to get out of here. There are some to be sold, some to take to the donation, and some just to trash. But I have to go through it now. I still have dollhouse bins to go through, and a closet to clean out, but I think I might be coming into the home stretch. House looks better though. 

• Like 1

We did a small amount in our on-site storage unit here at our condo building. I would REALLY like to get rid of the off-site 5 x 5 unit, but I don’t know if we can make that happen or not.  Our actual condo is 935 sq ft, and the on-site storage is only 3 x4. BUT, there are already a few things in there.  The 5 x 5 isn’t full, but it is, of course, technically more than twice the sq footage of the 3 x 4.  If we didn’t have ds’s stuff, we could probably manage. He has done such a great job of culling, too.I hate to not keep storing the very small amount of his that we have.  I mean, he had no say in our decision to downsize so drastically! 

Anyone know of a cheap way to ship an accordion and a guitar??

14 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Just wanted to report that I’m now somewhere in between happy obsession and what have I done!

Getting all of the basic/big/obvious stuff has been awesome, but now I’m constantly finding things/areas to add to my list and it’s beginning to feel more overwhelming than all the work I’ve done over the past two months!

Sounds like you need a sabbatical - spend one solid day finishing list items and then touch NOTHING for two weeks.  No purging or organizing.  Intentionally set about basking in what has been done.  I find that usually cuts down on my twitchiness to do more and brings it back down to manageable 😉

• Like 3

So we had the, um, questionable pleasure of being the beneficiaries of someone else's decluttering efforts this week. A friend who sometimes gives me hand me downs texted to ask if she could drop some stuff off while I was out. I said sure, and came home to find 17 large trash bags of stuff in front of my house. Apparently her co-workers were also decluttering and we were the lucky chosen recipients 😄

I went through the bags quickly and pulled out the maybe 5% of stuff that was potentially useful to my family, then messaged a friend who was organizing a Saver's fundraiser to pay for camp for the girls at her church to come pick up the rest. 

I got the playroom clean yesterday, I may tackle an actually konmarie style dump all the clothes in the house in one place and go through them project in there today. I need to figure out which of the new hand me downs we actually need and get rid unnecessary duplicates in everything. Maybe my older girls can help.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've got to get laundry done first if I want to tackle the above mentioned project. Quite a mountain has built up. This is why I have two washers and dryers!

10 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Sounds like you need a sabbatical - spend one solid day finishing list items and then touch NOTHING for two weeks.  No purging or organizing.  Intentionally set about basking in what has been done.  I find that usually cuts down on my twitchiness to do more and brings it back down to manageable 😉

Except thinking about that is now making me twitchy, lol!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, LifeLovePassion said:

I delivered 4bags of hand me downs to a friend and a truckload to Goodwill. DH did his clothes, I need to do mine still. 

Bravo on four bags!  That’s awesome!  Four less bags of crap to manage in your house.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, maize said:

I've got to get laundry done first if I want to tackle the above mentioned project. Quite a mountain has built up. This is why I have two washers and dryers!

That is so awesome!  I'm jealous!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

That is so awesome!  I'm jealous!

Our washer and dryer used to be in the garage, which was obnoxious in the winter because it was so cold out there. When we finished the basement bathroom we made room for a stackable frontloading washer and dryer in there, then last year we converted the garage into a playroom and I put a cheap washer and dryer back out there. With a large family it has been a huge blessing to have two!

• Like 1

I have lost count of how much I have taken to Goodwill. I know that I filled 3 large black trash bags just by cleaning out one small hall closet of blankets and bedding.

So far I have tackled the bedrooms, bathrooms, closets, family room, and medicine cabinet. Now I’m working on the schoolroom, which is worse than everything else put together. We haven’t used it for school in about a year, and it’s become a repository for everything I don’t know what to do with. I am packing up books like crazy to donate to the public library quarterly book sale and to the library at the kids’ school (I have earned the librarian’s trust and she knows I’m only bringing her good stuff). 

The difference in my mood has been amazing. I feel lighter, even though I’m definitely not. 😂 Decluttering my bathroom led to putting all the products/medications/supplements that I’m supposed to use regularly in one spot. And guess what? I’m actually taking better care of myself, using hair and skin care products, taking my medications and supplements every day. My room is a much more relaxing place to be. 

The schoolroom is going to be a long process, including selling off curriculum, so I’m going to switch off with working on the kitchen/dining area. The basement will likely require the services of a professional. 😱

• Like 3

1 minute ago, musicianmom said:

I have lost count of how much I have taken to Goodwill. I know that I filled 3 large black trash bags just by cleaning out one small hall closet of blankets and bedding.

So far I have tackled the bedrooms, bathrooms, closets, family room, and medicine cabinet. Now I’m working on the schoolroom, which is worse than everything else put together. We haven’t used it for school in about a year, and it’s become a repository for everything I don’t know what to do with. I am packing up books like crazy to donate to the public library quarterly book sale and to the library at the kids’ school (I have earned the librarian’s trust and she knows I’m only bringing her good stuff). 

The difference in my mood has been amazing. I feel lighter, even though I’m definitely not. 😂 Decluttering my bathroom led to putting all the products/medications/supplements that I’m supposed to use regularly in one spot. And guess what? I’m actually taking better care of myself, using hair and skin care products, taking my medications and supplements every day. My room is a much more relaxing place to be. 

The schoolroom is going to be a long process, including selling off curriculum, so I’m going to switch off with working on the kitchen/dining area. The basement will likely require the services of a professional. 😱

That’s a LOT of progress.  Isn’t it amazing how much more we use when it’s all together and organized? Good luck on the homeschool stuff, that’s always a huge chore 😵

Just did the school room this weekend.  Oh my.  It took me one weekend to do my entire basement.  One weekend to do all the bedrooms. And one weekend for this little school room!!!  So many things crammed in here.  I made the get rid of pile and kept glancing at it second-guessing myself, so I had my daughter run it out to my van instead of doing it myself.  It's not really curriculum, more books and activities and art supplies - the list is endless.  Due to us recently getting a new desk and filing cabinet and having DRAWERS for the first time ever, there were also quite a few storage and organizing containers.  Some of them I feel bad about just giving away but I don't want to have a yard sale or sell things on FB etc. and no one else in the house has a use for them.  This is where I think the Konmari idea of thanking items works for me.  I'm not so much thanking the item, but acknowledging that it's not wasteful to get rid of it because it has served the purpose I had for it.

This will be my 5th trip to the thrift store and my van has been packed every single time.  I think we're at 24 kitchen trash bags.  I think the worst part is that my house didn't appear cluttered.  It's amazing what all those cupboards, closets and bookshelves can hide!  

I haven't done the kitchen yet and I don't know that I'll get to it.  I had a lot of energy and steam in the beginning of the month for this but it's running out.  About half-way through I had made a mental promise to be done by the end of January, whether was I was finished with the whole house or not. I would really like a lazy weekend 😃

• Like 2

We also got our pictures hung back on the wall (post remodel in 2016). Our kitchen and upstairs bathroom will only need minor attention as they got a pretty good overhaul with each of their recent remodels. 

I watched The Magic of Tidying Up first episode with the girls then told them to go Kon Marie their desk space. 

I managed to sort and make a spreadsheet of homeschool items to sell as we are currently on sabbatical. We may pick it up again for dd1 when she enters 9th grade...we'll see, so for now I want it gone. 

One bigger task is to build shelves to fit our storage room better to maximize space. Hubby is happy to help, or I may tackle it, but that's probably a couple of weeks away. Once that is done, I can finish a couple of hotspots that are waiting for those shelves (piles of backpacking gear, so not excess)

• Like 1

Dh got into the spirit of things. There are six large boxes waiting by the door to be broken down and taken to recycling. (Yup. No curbside recycling here. You have to save it all up and haul it to the county center yourself.)

So that was nice.

I need to tackle our closet. Sigh....I think I need an oxygen tank for safety again avalanche, and should have a rope around my waist with a bell so if he doesn't hear the clang a lang for long enough, he knows to haul my carcass out of there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The first part of my goal was to get the “main”decluttering (except the frigid storage shed) done by the end of January. It looks like I might make it!

Tonight, my 11yo was talking about what he wanted for his birthday (which isn’t for 3 months) and asked if I had any thoughts about my birthday (a few days before his.) Everyone reminded him that all Mommy ever wants for her birthday is a clean house that she didn’t have to clean herself.  11yo said “But she’s had that for weeks!” 

1. Duh. Who’s been cleaning it???
2. It isn’t actually all that clean, it’s just that it’s much less cluttered and clean*er.
3. Still, I appreciate that he’s noticed the improvement, even if he thinks magic fairies are taking care of it.

Other ds and I collected about 894 water bottles from the car today, and I cleaned out all of the millions of minivan hidey holes so I can actually reach the important things I store in there for winter driving!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Dh informed me today that he wants to get a treadmill or some sort of exercise machine so I have to work on our old homeschool room tomorrow.  Some donating and a lot of reorganizing.  Luckily I enjoy that kind of work.  The attic will have to wait for it's part 2 I guess.

I blessed two families with some homeschool supplies this week.  Felt sets and microscopes.

• Like 4

some stuff I'm posting to my local "buy nothing" FB page.  I've got people supposedly interested in old VHS tapes . . Disney, veggie tales, anne of green gables.   I haven't had a vcr for years. - but I have geeks who want snazzy.   so, we just upgraded to a 4k tv.  my eyes are very appreciative. less strain too.

I started a vogue father-Christmas/santa years ago, but didn't finish it.  I will post that - unless someone in the seattle area on the board wants it.  if you've got time.  everything is there - all the fabric and trims, etc.  red velvet and ermine fake fur.

my girls HS is having a collection day with proceeds going to their ptsa - so, I'll dump off there on Saturday morning.  . and, it's dudeling's BD party . . . he wants a lan party.  so, we're keeping the old tv through the party - so they'll have two big screens for the lan hook up.   

I think I'll list it, with notice they can pick it up Saturday night - and they'll have a big screen for the super bowl.

• Like 3

I have a good bit of playroom stuff loaded and ready to go to the nearest drop box. As I’ve helped my girls clear out things in their houses over the last couple of years, I’ve accumulated a lot of the toys the kids still wanted, but didn’t really play with.

Well, they’ve been in my playroom here, and still aren’t really getting played with, so off they go.

I have some ideas for my playroom here since the remodel, and it requires paring down what they don’t use/play with.

I still have some photos to go through and do something with, but other than that, my house is almost done. I’m gonna help dh with his shop (by telling him items he’s been storing for me that I don’t want to keep), and then I’ll have to be onto the next project.

Oh yeah, the next project is getting all my important documents scanned into my iPad and stored, so I can eliminate my last file box of papers. I’ll put a few must-keeps in our fire proof safe, and the rest will be burned.

The going paperless with my planner, Disney business planner, etc., is really helping and I love it!

• Like 2

I'm losing steam on packing and decluttering. I've reached the point where I don't know what we'll need for the next 4 weeks before the move. 

So, I'm now shifting away from packing to prepping walls and painting. My goal this week is to paint the ceilings in 3 of the upstairs bedrooms

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StaceyinLA said:

I have a good bit of playroom stuff loaded and ready to go to the nearest drop box. As I’ve helped my girls clear out things in their houses over the last couple of years, I’ve accumulated a lot of the toys the kids still wanted, but didn’t really play with.

Well, they’ve been in my playroom here, and still aren’t really getting played with, so off they go.

I have some ideas for my playroom here since the remodel, and it requires paring down what they don’t use/play with.

I still have some photos to go through and do something with, but other than that, my house is almost done. I’m gonna help dh with his shop (by telling him items he’s been storing for me that I don’t want to keep), and then I’ll have to be onto the next project.

Oh yeah, the next project is getting all my important documents scanned into my iPad and stored, so I can eliminate my last file box of papers. I’ll put a few must-keeps in our fire proof safe, and the rest will be burned.

The going paperless with my planner, Disney business planner, etc., is really helping and I love it!

It’s always a bit tough to tell how playrooms should evolve since every kid attaches to toys differently.  Good luck sorting!  Paperless is a great change too!!! I’m not there but the paper still I do have are nearly filed at least (and that was SO satisfying).

10 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

It’s always a bit tough to tell how playrooms should evolve since every kid attaches to toys differently.  Good luck sorting!  Paperless is a great change too!!! I’m not there but the paper still I do have are nearly filed at least (and that was SO satisfying).

I am always confused on how much paper we need to keep. Five years of medical receipts is a *lot* of paper in my house. So is five years of tax documentation.  

I had an assessor tell me to keep papers associated with homeschool for three years. We switched to testing and I don't keep it now once the scores are in, which has really helped in the paper department.  However, I am confused on what to do for classes for high school credit.

I am happy to report I got rid of five pairs of jeans that haven't fit for 11 years.  LOL. I did buy more jeans at the thrift store though because my only pair that fit got a rip in the rear.