Menu

What's with the ads?

Murphy101

Get rid of it all 2019

I'm still plugging away here.  I dropped off a load at the thrift today and have another one ready to go tomorrow.  I declutter so much faster when dh is away for work. 

I'm doing the Flylady cleaning routines and for once they are working for me.  It's much easier to clean when things are decluttered.  I'm liking my house again.

• Like 1

Well, my house looks like a bomb went off,   Lol.

After so much decluttering, I decided it was time to get new shelves in my food storage pantry, which is a 7’ long closet. So I had to empty the entire thing.  There are bags of food everywhere!!!  But I’m looking forward to organizing it this weekend.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pen said:

Can I join in late?

I didn't start the thread, but jump right in! There's still a lot of 2019 remaining to get rid of stuff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

How do you make albums with digital pictures? I've realized I have TONS of digital pictures -- but the kids never see them because they are on the computer. Is there some sort of digital scrapbook I can use to put them together then order a book they can actually page through?

Just google photobook, lots of places do them. We've used shutterfly and others, there are frequent sales that make them inexpensive.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stacia said:

I didn't start the thread, but jump right in! There's still a lot of 2019 remaining to get rid of stuff.

Thanks!  I’m not going totally minimalist but trying for what sparks joy a la Konmari.  Modifying due to circumstances and health issues.  

I am tired now from what I did yesterday even though it seems like not much—but I keep going and looking at an area that has only needed or joy items and like it a lot!

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 8:56 PM, goldberry said:

Surely I can't be the only one who suspects i will one day be falsely accused of murder and will have to account for my whereabouts on a random Tuesday three years ago?

I seriously think of that every time I dispose of an old calendar...

🙂 I’ve had that too!

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 6:10 AM, StaceyinLA said:

I tend to feel that way because I am definitely not one to keep things I’m not using regularly, but, by the same token, wondering at what point to stop. Certainly if I just keep collecting them, I’ll have a LOT more, but my OCD tendencies are either to keep collecting til I have every state I’ve ever been to, OR just pick a certain limitation, like only states my kids or grandkids lived (because I spent lots of time in those places), or something along those lines.

I mean does anyone really NEED 30 coffee mugs?

Can they do other things too?  I’ve been putting individual lunch servings of soup into refrigerator  (the outside one — this will be even better when decluttering allows me to have one inside) in “coffee” mugs.  I can reheat them in IP.  (We don’t have a microwave.)  I wish I had a few extra excellent multipurpose mugs.  

Edited by Pen

I’ve been working on my kitchen this week, and I have a trunk load to take to goodwill.   I’m hoping dh and I can clean out the attic on Monday since it’ll finally be cool.  

• Like 1

We are doing awesome here!  Officially out of our off-site, 5 x 5 storage unit!  Woo-boo!  Still working on finding homes for some of the items that were in there.   Mostly things that belong to ds.  He doesn’t have a lot, either, but our downsized condo is small - 935 sq ft.  Our on-site storage unit is 3 x 4.  I am slowly mailing him sheet music in priority, flat-rate, USPS boxes.  He also has photo albums that his grandmother made for him.  She would give him one (sometimes two) small, but fat photo albums each year.  They are challenging.  The photos are all in sleeves, BUT she affixed labels on the outside that are descriptions or captions about the photo itself.  Idk how successfully they could be scanned with the sleeves on, but I am not doing that for ds.  I am shipping them to him, and he can figure it out. Getting him his sheet music and albums will eliminate two, large, Steri-lite tubs.  

We still have some challenges with some other things.  Our bed is platform and not much can go under it.  Other bedroom has a sleeper sofa, so no under bed storage there.  

I never thought we could go without off-site storage, but we are going to make it work!  And save $105 per month because of it! Yay!

• Like 4

Congrats Hoggirl, sounds like you have done a lot of work!

Re: framed diplomas.... Have you considered removing the frames and matting and storing just the diplomas themselves? If you're not planning to hang or display them in the future, maybe it's something to consider?

• Like 2

Back to kitchen!  

Do you doing this like to do the process in silence? Or with music? Audiobook? 

Well, KonMari has claimed the first victim.  I twisted my knee konmari’ing my kitchen yesterday.  I thought it would feel better today, but nope.  That said, I have no regrets.  My kitchen looks awesome, lol.    I do still need to do that cabinet above the fridge, the cabinet that has no use at all because I can’t reach it.  It’s like a black hole in there.   

@Pen, I usually organize with the tv on in the background.    QVC is my go-to.  It’s soothing to me for some reason. 

• Sad 2

Just now, Thatboyofmine said:

Well, KonMari has claimed the first victim.  I twisted my knee konmari’ing my kitchen yesterday.  I thought it would feel better today, but nope.  That said, I have no regrets.  My kitchen looks awesome, lol.    I do still need to do that cabinet above the fridge, the cabinet that has no use at all because I can’t reach it.  It’s like a black hole in there.   

@Pen, I usually organize with the tv on in the background.    QVC is my go-to.  It’s soothing to me for some reason. 

Oh dear about knee - I hope you heal quickly.

I’m glad your seeing awesomeness!  

I have been putting things like huge family size bags of tortilla chips in way up high hard to reach spots (we have a step stool and reacher in kitchen).  It they fall on someone’s head they are lightweight!

• Haha 1

I am sitting down to have soup for lunch in a favorite sparks joy for me mug.  Made in a sparks joy for me IP.  

Spoon trouble though — my most “sparks joy” spoon is one that is handcarved from rosewood—but there’s a split in its bowl so I’m afraid to use it lest some GI disturbing germs could be in the split.  

I shall use metal spoon.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pen said:

Back to kitchen!  

I’ll sometimes put music on in the main areas of the house when I’m on a roll, but there are usually kids and/or dh working on stuff and that’s a distraction for them. I’ve started listening to podcasts with earbuds if I’m wearing leggings with pockets, lol.

When I’m working on my bedroom, I sometimes AirPlay decluttering videos to the television!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pen said:

Back to kitchen!  

I pretty much always have audiobooks or music on, I can’t handle the quiet.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 12:47 PM, vonfirmath said:

How do you make albums with digital pictures? I've realized I have TONS of digital pictures -- but the kids never see them because they are on the computer. Is there some sort of digital scrapbook I can use to put them together then order a book they can actually page through?

Snapfish, Shutterfly, Walgreens & Wal-Mart are a few places that you can do this. 

Upload pictures to the site then load into books and order.  Can add stickers & captions or leave plain. It is up to you.

Also most places run sales.  You can make the album and save it until they run a good sale if not running one currently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Slightly funny-  we have been spending a lot of time at the orthopedic surgeon and getting mris and stuff.  Seriously, they have had quite a few decluttering injuries.  So you apparently are part of a special select group.  Lol

We have been on a streak lately.  I have been to several donation places and selling/giving away stuff.  Including several pieces of play furniture from when the kids were little.  I might have my basement back to orderly soon. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Slightly funny-  we have been spending a lot of time at the orthopedic surgeon and getting mris and stuff.  Seriously, they have had quite a few decluttering injuries.  So you apparently are part of a special select group.  Lol

Decluttering: the new extreme sport!  Seriously, doesn’t surprise me.  It is a lot of physical doing.  

19 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

We have been on a streak lately.  I have been to several donation places and selling/giving away stuff.  Including several pieces of play furniture from when the kids were little.  I might have my basement back to orderly soon. 

Sounds excellent!

I’m using cardboard boxes cut down as containers for items to be kept right now.  

Does anyone have advice on good way to cut boxes?  I’m struggling with scissors.  Don’t have a “box cutter”—do box cutters actually cut boxes well? 

These are mostly corrugated cardboard such as for arrivals from Amazon—being turned into faux “drawers” or faux “baskets” for on shelves.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I’m using cardboard boxes cut down as containers for items to be kept right now.  

Does anyone have advice on good way to cut boxes?  I’m struggling with scissors.  Don’t have a “box cutter”—do box cutters actually cut boxes well? 

These are mostly corrugated cardboard such as for arrivals from Amazon—being turned into faux “drawers” or faux “baskets” for on shelves.  

Box cutters are, imo, amazing. I keep one upstairs, one downstairs, and at least one in the shed. I probably have more floating around in tool bags ad what not. I’m sure I’ll come across them in my summer declutter, lol.

It isn’t always easy to keep a perfectly straight line with them, but the actual cutting is easy peasy. I can’t imagine just *opening all my Amazon and Chewy boxes without them!  (I also just cut some carpet and vinyl with mine.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome purge news - Dh is finally getting an office (out of the house)!

After years of lots of travel an using offices with a huge commute, he’s been mostly working from home for... I don’t know, I’ve lost track.  Let’s just say too long! Now he’s getting a nearby office and a bunch of his “stuff” can go there. 

Plus, he won’t be around to distract me all the time!

• Like 3

On 2/21/2019 at 5:31 PM, Pen said:

Can they do other things too?  I’ve been putting individual lunch servings of soup into refrigerator  (the outside one — this will be even better when decluttering allows me to have one inside) in “coffee” mugs.  I can reheat them in IP.  (We don’t have a microwave.)  I wish I had a few extra excellent multipurpose mugs.  

I freeze soup in wide mouthed canning jars, the one pint size.

For thin soups that's a nice amount for one person, and for a thick soup/side dish it's enough for two.  Chili is good this way also.  

The nice thing about this specific size is that they have no shoulders, so you can put them in a bowl of hot water, wait for just the outside edge of the soup to thaw, and then slide out the whole block into a pot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pen said:

We just do it with scissors, and no, it’s not awesome 😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

We just do it with scissors, and no, it’s not awesome 😆

I just ordered box cutters, but by time they (came as set of 2, so already a duplicate) come, I may have it done with scissors 😏

• Haha 1

How is everyone doing?  

I did horrible in February and so far in March but I am feeling the mood to purge starting to hit.  I hope it hits big time.  

What have yall done?  I need inspiring stories 

Things have been busy here, so we have not done much.

I posted previously about cleaning out our game cupboard. The games to discard are still stacked on my piano bench.

The kids had to sort through their summer clothing, because we are going on a spring break trip, and they will need shorts. The boys pulled a good stack of shorts out of their drawers to get rid of. But now those shorts are hanging out in my bedroom, waiting to be put in a donation bag. And we had to buy new clothing to fit, and those items are still bagged and cluttering up the hallway.

Sigh. Two steps forward. One and a half steps back. I have a problem with follow through. We will keep working on it, as time allows. It may be a couple of weeks before I can do more, but I will aim to get some of the things I mentioned cleaned up this weekend.

Haven’t done much but have some sheets bagged up to go. I’m really the only person that cares for flannel sheets. Goodbye, cute sheets with the deer. I bagged up other sets of sheets we don’t use as well. 

• Like 1

The other day, I shredded old investment records that were long rolled over or otherwise changed hands, vet records from deceased pets, old social security statements, records of maintenance on cars we no longer have, outdated vaccination records, and duplicate copies of med and ed documents.  (My emergency box was ignored for WAAAAAAY too long! 😮 )

On 1/23/2019 at 8:16 AM, mathnerd said:

I am now trying to get rid of 6 old carseats (which O don't know how to get rid of, as usual). 

Check whether your local fire station still accepts expired car seats. If you can wait for Target car seat recycling program next month, you can pass the 20% off coupon for car seat/strollers to someone else. 

Mark your calendar and stay tuned for details – Target’s Car Seat Trade in is coming back in April 2019!”  https://corporate.target.com/corporate-responsibility/planet/sustainable-products/car-seat-trade-in

• Like 2

Just now, Arcadia said:

Check whether your local fire station still accepts expired car seats. If you can wait for Target car seat recycling program next month, you can pass the 20% off coupon for car seat/strollers to someone else. 

Mark your calendar and stay tuned for details – Target’s Car Seat Trade in is coming back in April 2019!”  https://corporate.target.com/corporate-responsibility/planet/sustainable-products/car-seat-trade-in

Yeah! 

Target will recycle them into stiff like shopping carts. Fire departments in my experience either don’t take them or simply use the jaws of life to crush them so no one else uses them. 

22 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Thank you, Arcadia! This makes it so convenient. I got rid of one carseat to my curbside garbage collection company and they made a huge fuss saying that they will not take more than one carseat from me.

I did get rid of some big items I listed previously  --  a couch, 4 chairs, a bike, our remaining few bins of homeschool materials, a mattress, and a few other things.

And, I have donated another car load of miscellaneous stuff, easy pickings I think of when I am not at home, then go grab to donate as soon as I get home. I also have a box of books that my dd wants to drop at various little free libraries.

As far as papers and filing, I have gotten a lot done. Many things filed, many things recycled or burned. Still have old school papers to deal with and a few old files re: house things to go through. Freedom Filer has been awesome. Now that I have it set up, it is easy to file (keeps things from piling up on my desk), and it has been easy to retrieve a few items I have needed. Really happy with this choice.

I also read both of Dana White's books. (She's the author of A Slob Comes Clean blog.) The cleaning one is basic but I can see that it would help the overwhelmed. Her decluttering one is really very good for overstuffed houses. She has some great advice.

Generally,  still working on reducing overall and having everything in the house have its own home. My other goal is to clean out/use up pantry items, then do a better job of not overstocking.

• Like 3

Decluttering has slowed down massively here but I tend to go in hard and then back off for a bit.  My main goal is to finish the attic before it gets hot.  Today it's 70 and I'm realizing my time is slipping away.  So I will get on that next week when it cools back down to 50.  

I've been doing much better about staying out of stores and ordering online so much less coming into the house.  I've been at this for 9 months now off and on and I definitely feel the difference in the house and the ease of getting things out and putting away is a great payoff.

• Like 2

Made over $250 on the clothes and toys I put in the consignment sale! Money for kids summer clothes and a new pair of running shoes for dd. 

Took several boxes of my mom's books to the used book shop and got store credit, to purchase English lit books for next yr. 

Temps are warming up. 

I think my opportunity to clean out the shed and the backyard may arrive soon! 

• Like 4

I hadn't been doing any decluttering, but I made up for it today. I had dd go through her clothes and filled a box of outgrown clothes to donate and a small box of things I might try to sell. I also pulled down 4 plastic bins of clothes from the attic crawl space. Those clothes were hand me downs that didn't fit anyone when I put them up there. I had both dd and ds pull out what they can wear, had dd box up a few of the things she likes but needs to grow into, and then I put the rest into the car to be donated. Two large boxes, one large toy, and four stuffed kitchen garbage bags are going out.

• Like 3

I have so much to do but we are still in boxes and still remodeling, so it pretty much all just keeps sitting.

But every time I unpack a box I ask myself if the content are worth keeping or if it’s time to move it along.

• Like 1

I am clearing out my elderly dad’s house 🤪🙄😢!  We have moved the minimal amount of stuff he wanted to keep/maintain and I have an estate sale planned for mid-April.  Very eye opening experience.  When his place is done, I will be working ruthlessly on my house.  At some point, likely in the near future, I will also have to help DH clear out his parent’s house of 50+ years and I want mine done.

My dad is amazed I don’t want all his “stuff’ but, really, he didn’t treat a lot of it like it was special or important.  I took a few very meaningful things, but the rest is going.  I will have a hard line for my DH’s parent’s stuff too.  I will not do this to my boys and I hope to be downsized to a smaller house before I am too old to make such decisions for myself.  And...anything I do keep, I hope I have somehow labeled as to who it belonged to and why it was special to me.  I have already told them that, when I am gone, they should get rid of what they want with no guilt.  Everything except the photo albums I have made of their lives 😂😂😂😂!  My dad is like, “Don’t you want this or that?” but cannot tell me where it came from or why it was important to him or mom.  I’m not keeping stuff just because it was in his house.

So much time spent on stuff and the guilt associated with getting rid of it.  Guilt about poeple’s feelings over the stuff that is going and what to do to dispose of it the best way possible.  So much time....

• Like 2

Wish I had seen this thread earlier.. 

I did a serious 3 week purge. I am so tired, but my house looks amazing. 

We rented a storage room since we are thinking of moving, and we had some furniture from another house that was just making this one feel tight. I was able to store some books in there that should have been donated. I have dishes from the other house, too. Just not sure how much to hold on to as the kids will need stuff for their college apartments, etc.. 

I got rid of a lot! A LOT! but there is more to do. We still have toys; my youngest is 17. Too many raggedy towels that I hold on to for cleaning stuff; need to get rid of still.

The best we did was clean out a strange closet in the garage that had been storing paint cans. We went through all of them (so very old) and added drying stuff to the paint we don't need to take to the dump. Decent paint will be donated. That closet is huge and is insulated. I got most of my Christmas stuff in there. That was the best discovery. Still hoping to find another secret huge closet that is under-used.

Then I did a BIG clean - scrubbed everything, shined everything, washed windows, refreshed the yard. I am tired. 

BUT it is worth it. I love a clean house. I love opening my closet and have it organzied and uncluttered. I love my pantry filled with white baskets that make it look orderly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Still plugging away here. Have cleaned out & purged bed linens & towels.

A favorite local charity of mine runs a temporary thrift shop for about eight weeks to raise funds. When I saw they were opening their store, I gathered a bunch of stuff to donate to them -- books, decorative items, some dishes/serving ware, etc. Dropped off a car load this past weekend. I have more gathered that I'll be donating at the end of the week.

I'm re-visiting my closet & trying to reduce more in there. Dd has her "den" in an extra bedroom. The closet in there holds a random assortment of stuff -- clothes from various family members, suitcases, the chairs to our card table, etc. Dd wants to pack up & store some things, but I don't think they would be well-served by the temperature extremes of storing in the attic. So, we'll unload this closet, put in what she wants to store & things I deem most essential to be stored there & then redistribute or get rid of the rest. By working on my closet, I think I will be able to fit my luggage in it (still with room to breathe in the closet). Possibly can do that in ds' room too. Again, basically looking at what we have stored/used where & deciding if there is a better way to store or access things (or get rid of them). I read that oftentimes, you make decisions on where stuff will be stored when you move in a place & then never revisit or change things down the road even if a better arrangement would work better for you. (Thinking of kitchen cabinets & drawers here.) I've been here a long time & am trying to really assess what we use now, how we use it now, & decide on the best ways to have our things in the house now. I'm really happy so far with the changes I've made.

Next week, I'm helping a friend work on cleaning out her garage. She is hoping we can make massive progress.

What is everyone else up to?

• Like 1

I'm waiting for my local D.V. shelter to come pick up. I have so much stuff! I like this place because they don't resell. It all goes to families in need. I called because my original request said 4-11 boxes and I knew it would be more than that. They rescheduled me for the 30th, but then called yesterday to confirm my pickup for today which was the original pickup date. ?? So now I've had my windows and blinds open since 7am to watch the front porch so I can make sure no one tries to take their stuff. 🤨

Ummm..it's way more than 11 boxes and the longer they take to pickup, the more I'm putting out there. I was happy to hear they take scrapbook supplies because I have a bunch leftover from my card business and there's no way dd is going to use all of it. They are getting all of my old Highlights magazines (those never get old) and Ranger Rick Jr. magazines. I have 3 boxes of books. The sleeping bags from when the kids were little. A bunch of sheets and blankets. How did I end up with so many fleece blankets?! The kids have all cleaned out their closets and donated a bunch of toys. So.much.stuff. Please come today! Pretty please 🤞🤞

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stacia said:

I read that oftentimes, you make decisions on where stuff will be stored when you move in a place & then never revisit or change things down the road even if a better arrangement would work better for you. (Thinking of kitchen cabinets & drawers here.) I've been here a long time & am trying to really assess what we use now, how we use it now, & decide on the best ways to have our things in the house now. I'm really happy so far with the changes I've made.

We've been in our house 20 years and in that time added 5 kids and with them came the need for lots more and bigger dishes/pans.  Last fall I got so tired of running all over the place gathering baking supplies (they were stored in 3 different areas) and I went through and rearranged everything in the kitchen.  My silverware and utensils had been in the same spots for 20 years and I MOVED them.  I am thrilled with the results, the flow of things is so much better, things are stored close to where I use them, baking supplies are in one spot etc.  Since I do 99% of the cooking, I figured I earned the right to arrange things how they worked for me.  However, the rest of my family is not thrilled.  After 6 months they are still going to the wrong drawer for silverware and grumbling because I MOVED them.  It's so easy to get in a rut and so freeing when you really take the time to reevaluate.

• Like 5

For the stuff that dd wants to pack up & store, we had some of the original boxes in the attic. I got those down for her. While doing that, I also pulled out a bunch of empty boxes (many for things we no longer even own or, if we do, don't want the box anyway) & put a big load of broken-down boxes for the recycling people tomorrow. (I wonder if my trash & recycling folks are getting tired of my bins being stuffed to the top every week?)

My trunk is loaded with stuff I've gathered in the past few days (some of dd's clothes, various shoes from all of us, extra purses, more dishware, books, a few random items I pulled out of the attic tonight) & will donate it tomorrow.

I also have a couple of bags of linens & towels to donate to the vet office.

Edited by Stacia

7 hours ago, Plum said:

I'm waiting for my local D.V. shelter to come pick up. I have so much stuff! I like this place because they don't resell. It all goes to families in need. I called because my original request said 4-11 boxes and I knew it would be more than that. They rescheduled me for the 30th, but then called yesterday to confirm my pickup for today which was the original pickup date. ?? So now I've had my windows and blinds open since 7am to watch the front porch so I can make sure no one tries to take their stuff. 🤨

Ummm..it's way more than 11 boxes and the longer they take to pickup, the more I'm putting out there. I was happy to hear they take scrapbook supplies because I have a bunch leftover from my card business and there's no way dd is going to use all of it. They are getting all of my old Highlights magazines (those never get old) and Ranger Rick Jr. magazines. I have 3 boxes of books. The sleeping bags from when the kids were little. A bunch of sheets and blankets. How did I end up with so many fleece blankets?! The kids have all cleaned out their closets and donated a bunch of toys. So.much.stuff. Please come today! Pretty please 🤞🤞

They finally arrived around 4 pm. They had a truck driver not show up today so his truck was packed when he got to my house. He wasn’t able to take everything so i’ll have to call in for another pickup. Oh well they got most of it. 

• Like 1

I haven’t gotten a whole lot done lately, but I feel some motivation coming on!

It’s officially mud season here.  The snow is mostly gone, but it will be a long while before things turn green, so everything just looks dead and gross. That usually makes me desperate to create clean and calm spaces, lol.

I did finally have an old, broken bookcase taken away this week. We’re only allowed 2 bulk items a month, so that was sitting in my living room waiting for its turn for a few weeks. I’ve also continued to make small amounts of progress on paper files. I think I could knock it all out if I had an uninterrupted day to myself, but that’s not happening anytime soon!

• Like 1

It’s starting to warm up around here ever so slowly.   Yesterday I went through my winter closet and everything that I didn’t wear this past season got bagged up and put in a donation bin that’s near my house.

Today, I’m going through the scarves/hats/gloves, etc.  We had a huge pile of stuff, but wore almost none of it.  Time to let it go.  🙂

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Garga said:

Today, I’m going through the scarves/hats/gloves, etc.  We had a huge pile of stuff, but wore almost none of it.  Time to let it go.  🙂

Is there a homeless shelter you could donate to? I heard a homeless lady at the library saying a stranger gave her a blanket while she was sleeping at the train station and it helps her a lot since our nights are windy chilly (even though our winters are very mild)

• Like 1