Menu

What's with the ads?

Murphy101

Get rid of it all 2019

@cintinative We keep medical documentation because I keep having to use it,  it not necessarily receipts after the HSA year completes. Additional files for homeschool transcripts and test scores, mortgage and insurance information, vaccinations and vital documents, and copies of our tax returns going back five years.

Everything older we just keep digital scans as needed, well encrypted, but otherwise ditch.  I’d say it’s two file drawers full of stuff and one of those is solidly medical from just the past two years or so, but those are on my to-digitize list.  It’s not terrible once managed, but it seemed like a ton more when it was in four locations and half folded in envelopes and falling piles 👀

I am addicted to paper.
I have zero plans for going paperless, but February is going to involve a lot of paper reduction. And I’m scared!!!
It’s not like I’m afraid of technology or anything, just that paper is so much more “real” to me.  I need to manually write my lists and fill my planner in order to process better.  I prefer to put my hands on paper files rather than scroll down digital ones.  But I really stink at throwing away finished lists or purging old files. Even I know that I don’t need my deceased pets’ vet records anymore @@.

February is going to be awful, lol.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

It’s not like I’m afraid of technology or anything, just that paper is so much more “real” to me.  I need to manually write my lists and fill my planner in order to process better.  I prefer to put my hands on paper files rather than scroll down digital ones.  But I really stink at throwing away finished lists or purging old files.

+1 for me. 

I still have old calendars dating back years and I can't come up with any good reason for them other than memories/nostalgia. I have all my homeschool planning checklists for the past seven years.

I struggle to keep up with shredding. I just spent about five hours shredding a few weeks ago and that was not even everything I should have cleared out. It would go so  much better if I did it as I went along (new bill filed, old bill shredded) but I never do that. I wait until the file cabinet declares there is no more room, and then I sit and shred until the shredder gets overheated. Sigh. Starting new habits is hard! 

I got that bag of goodwill stuff actually to Good will last weekend, and also took out a bag of recycling from the craft room. Made enough progress that about half the floor space is now clear! I have to get it done Friday morning, guests are coming!

• Like 1

Well after saying I was running out of steam I got a burst of energy to tackle more stuff.  In the last hour, I've packed four more boxes of toys and videogame consoles, fill 3 trash bags of trash, and filled two boxes with toys that need to be sorted and then packed. Taking a break for lunch and then I'll sort those two boxes of random things

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I bought a shredder and shredded the last two years of bills. Then, I set as many as possible as e-bills. I'm not sure why I didn't do it sooner! 

Today, I plan to go through my files and just keep important papers. I don't need paperwork on a car I no longer own! The rest will be shredded. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I am addicted to paper.
I have zero plans for going paperless, but February is going to involve a lot of paper reduction. And I’m scared!!!
It’s not like I’m afraid of technology or anything, just that paper is so much more “real” to me.  I need to manually write my lists and fill my planner in order to process better.  I prefer to put my hands on paper files rather than scroll down digital ones.  But I really stink at throwing away finished lists or purging old files. Even I know that I don’t need my deceased pets’ vet records anymore @@.

February is going to be awful, lol.

I’m a paper person, list maker and writer by nature. I’ve gotten a digital planner on my iPad Pro, and I use the Apple Pencil so I can still “write” all my stuff. I’m obsessed!

I have a personal one, one for my Disney travel agent business, and just some notebooks I’ve made on there for recipes, addresses, and just stuff I wanna write down. I love it!

Actually, I’m only a paper person in the sense that I like writing and keeping my stuff on paper. I have never kept copies of bills and things like that. I’ve always kept the absolute minimum.

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 1

My husband got me a Rocketbook Everlast for Christmas. It's fantastic! It lets me write things down with an actual pen, then I can easily upload the pages with an app on my phone and send them to various locations. I'm now using it for notes during court, work phone call notes, as well as personal stuff. The pages wipe clean with a damp cloth after uploading, or once no longer needed.

Edited by Ravin

1 hour ago, StaceyinLA said:

I’m a paper person, list maker and writer by nature. I’ve gotten a digital planner on my iPad Pro, and I use the Apple Pencil so I can still “write” all my stuff. I’m obsessed!

I have a personal one, one for my Disney travel agent business, and just some notebooks I’ve made on there for recipes, addresses, and just stuff I wanna write down. I love it!

Actually, I’m only a paper person in the sense that I like writing and keeping my stuff on paper. I have never kept copies of bills and things like that. I’ve always kept the absolute minimum.

That’s exactly how I am.  Paper calendar and only duplicating on a digital one for the reminder function, lots of paper lists, etc.  But I don’t keep a gazillion receipts and the like, and I’m broken in the sentimentality department so tossing my yearly planner or shredding old bills and such is really easy for me.

I get a little overwhelmed with things like school assignments and kid artwork so I had to create  systems to manage that. But ultimately I only keep what is absolutely necessary on the paper front so I don’t get totally overwhelmed.

4 hours ago, Ravin said:

My husband got me a Rocketbook Everlast for Christmas. It's fantastic! It lets me write things down with an actual pen, then I can easily upload the pages with an app on my phone and send them to various locations. I'm now using it for notes during court, work phone call notes, as well as personal stuff. The pages wipe clean with a damp cloth after uploading, or once no longer needed.

The Rocketbook is on my wishlist. I love the idea of combining handwriting with digital. 

Have been working on various areas since the start of the year...

* Decluttered & rearranged the kitchen cabinets. The new arrangement (& extra space) is working so much better!

* Worked with my dc (older teens) to rearrange/reorganize to better suit our lives now. Things like moving a bookcase that was downstairs to upstairs; vice versa for a filing cabinet. Finally hanging artwork they both have & want to display. Have culled various items during this rearranging -- mostly books & clothes.

* Took everything out of my laundry room except the washer & dryer & really cleaned it well. Only put back what I actually use & found another home for things by relocating, donating, or trashing as needed.

* Tonight worked on a "quick sort" (haha) of papers. Papers. I hate papers. Loathe them. I wish I could toss them all like Marie Kondo says, but I'm not fully there yet. (I'm getting there, though, after handling so many.) I sorted a lot (not all) into general categories that I will further narrow as I file them. (Categories: Recycle; Shred; Need to save long-term; Need to save for short-term; School; Sentimental. All my "Needs immediate attention" stuff is still piled on my desk, but I know what's there & what needs to be done this week.) The filing cabinet I moved last week is overstuffed with papers from 20+ years. I need to clean it out but didn't touch it tonight. Ended up with a full paper grocery sack of recycling & another full one to shred, in addition to some items to donate or trash.

* Have done some general culls of things as I think of them or see them, just easy pickings of stuff that can go (to another person, to donation, etc.). Random clothes, school supplies, unused holiday items, misc. items from around the house, old towels to send to the vet office, etc. Quite a few bags & boxes have left the house in this manner.

Still a ton to do but progress is being made!

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 4

Well, it’s looking like a fairly nasty week around here; rain pretty much daily. I think I’ll get plenty of my paper scanned into my iPad, and then sort what we need to keep in the safe.

I am still putting off my photos. I’ve gone through the boxes and at least gotten rid of crappy pictures, but I still have to decide what to do with the rest of them. I have the ultimate goal of photographing all my favorites with my phone then uploading to Shutterfly and making books, but I have a feeling that’s gonna be a time consuming project. It’s just something I really want, and need, to do.

Along those lines, is there anyone here who knows a good trick to taking pics of photos - like what to do to keep the glare that’s inevitably on them, off?

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, StaceyinLA said:

Well, it’s looking like a fairly nasty week around here; rain pretty much daily. I think I’ll get plenty of my paper scanned into my iPad, and then sort what we need to keep in the safe.

I am still putting off my photos. I’ve gone through the boxes and at least gotten rid of crappy pictures, but I still have to decide what to do with the rest of them. I have the ultimate goal of photographing all my favorites with my phone then uploading to Shutterfly and making books, but I have a feeling that’s gonna be a time consuming project. It’s just something I really want, and need, to do.

Along those lines, is there anyone here who knows a good trick to taking pics of photos - like what to do to keep the glare that’s inevitably on them, off?

Google's photoscan app eliminates the glare by having you move your camera to create several images and then combining the images.

I usually just take photos in a room with a window so good lighting) but not directly in the sunlight, I sometimes have to adjust camera angle slightly but can usually avoid glare.

• Like 1

I'm working through culling everyone's clothes (well, I'll have the older kids do their own) I've collected everything in the play room and am almost done sorting into piles by individual. I've been doing laundry like mad the past couple of days because I want to have everything clean all at once so I can see just how many shirts etc. each person has. 

• Like 1

Look what I found in my clothing piles this morning...

15488591610511648764993.jpg

Edited by maize
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Completely culled the playroom at my mom's. She is moving to assisted living sometime in the next 6 months and will not have room for much kid stuff. Most of it was way too young for my kids anyway. 

4 large bags into the trash
At least that much to thrift.
A small pile will go to the upcoming consignment sale

One small tub of legos, cars, action figures etc. to go to the new place. Plus a sketch pad and some nice markers/pencils.
And a few of games: Scrabble, cards, Parchesi. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Completely culled the playroom at my mom's. She is moving to assisted living sometime in the next 6 months and will not have room for much kid stuff. Most of it was way too young for my kids anyway. 

4 large bags into the trash
At least that much to thrift.
A small pile will go to the upcoming consignment sale

One small tub of legos, cars, action figures etc. to go to the new place. Plus a sketch pad and some nice markers/pencils.
And a few of games: Scrabble, cards, Parchesi. 

Good going and so much less for you and your mom to worry about.

• Like 1

We dropped off a big box of books at goodwill tonight... 

AND

I didn't even check out the used book section while I was there.   Now that's saying something. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Zoo Keeper said:

We dropped off a big box of books at goodwill tonight... 

AND

I didn't even check out the used book section while I was there.   Now that's saying something. 😉

Ooooh, kudos for self restraint!

• Like 2

I just loaded my first trip for goodwill/high school fundraiser.  I haven't even finished my laundry room - but it feels better.  i did the toy closet - and now I can fit puppy's crate (folded) in it when I'm not using it.  trying to sell my five gallon bucket of k'nex . . . 

I'm just not going to care about how much I spent on this stuff, it is freeing to get it out.

• Like 2

Guys, I decluttered my chest freezer!!! I will spare you all from the details.  Well, I’ll share one.  Fruit that I had sealed with my (now dead) Food Saver who knows how long ago (because I didn’t date it) is in PERFECT condition.  No exaggeration; it’s genuinely perfect.

That doesn’t make up for the horrors I found, but I do think I will be budgeting for a replacement Food Saver.

Today’s project is to start refilling the freezer with meals/parts of meals b/c I haven’t been doing a very good job feeding the troops while revamping the house! Mostly short-term stuff... until I get a new Food Saver!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

Guys, I decluttered my chest freezer!!! I will spare you all from the details.  Well, I’ll share one.  Fruit that I had sealed with my (now dead) Food Saver who knows how long ago (because I didn’t date it) is in PERFECT condition.  No exaggeration; it’s genuinely perfect.

That doesn’t make up for the horrors I found, but I do think I will be budgeting for a replacement Food Saver.

Today’s project is to start refilling the freezer with meals/parts of meals b/c I haven’t been doing a very good job feeding the troops while revamping the house! Mostly short-term stuff... until I get a new Food Saver!

I've never had a food saver, but I used to do a lot of freezer cooking, and it's always been on my want-to-buy list. Never made it to the top of the list though. 

3 minutes ago, beckyjo said:

I've never had a food saver, but I used to do a lot of freezer cooking, and it's always been on my want-to-buy list. Never made it to the top of the list though. 

I highly recommend it!  I don’t feel 100% good about that as someone who is trying to reduce her single use plastic consumption, but I’m willing to make an exception. I wouldn’t want to use it for general freezing, but for longer term food storage.
I also suggest pre-freezing to keep stuff from sticking together and/or juices blocking the seal! I didn’t find their “moist” setting to be very reliable.

• Like 1

It’s a post rain 60’ here today so I started on the garage.  Got about 1/3 through it.

Then a kid started puking. UGH! There’s some nasty head cold that’s been sllloooowwwly going through my house for over a month now. Since the weekend right after Xmas.  Starts with feverish chills and tissue issues then sore throat then queasy then wiped out exhausted and the whole cycle seems to take a solid 6-8 DAYS. No flu. No strep. Just miserable. One. Kid. At. A. Time. Just when I think, oh wonderful 48hr of back to school work and living life with a no longer cranky but now fresh sick free house and then damn, another one bites the dust. 

Ugh. I’m bleaching everything almost daily at this point. Doors. Door frames. Bedding. Even the carpet and tiles.  Of course baths and kitchen. By golly I can’t stop the germs brought in, but they sure aren’t going to survive more than 24 hours before I come along with my bleach of death. *cough*groan*sniffle* oh no. Moms going down. Crap. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So, got rid of a ton of stuff in the kitchen, due to trying to de-gluten it! that counts, right?

• Like 4

Minor-major purge over here tonight! Minor because there wasn’t a whole lot of stuff that left (one plastic grocery bag full) but major because it was from my son’s top bunk!!!

He’s been resisting having me help him go through things up there. It’s where he keeps his precious belongings “safe” from his little brother.  But I knew that junk was also collecting up there, and it was all terribly organized and making it difficult for him to change his sheets.

By the end, he was using great care in arranging his stuff in the 3 canvas bins I allotted him, and he seems prettty happy with the results.

If I could just get his older sisters on board...

• Like 1

We ventured into the terribly scary basement today. For years it's been the "I'm not sure I want to get rid of that yet so just stick it in the basement" spot. It's so bad that I'm don't let anyone but family down there. Now dh is working from home and he shoved everything over to carve out an office space. He's also not known for his ability to get rid of anything, so it's gotten worse down there! We filled three trash bags and a donation box and we've barely begun.  I also have an enormous pile of toys that I want to sell. We agreed that if they didn't sell in one month from the date we listed them, they would get donated. I hope we can keep up the motivation to finally get it cleaned up.

• Like 3

I've been working on compiling all of the girls special things into one space. They each have binders of birthday cards so they can actually look at them. They have a moment file box and documents folder box. Feels good to go through everything and Purge the randomness. 

• Like 1

Dropped two crates of stuff at the thrift store and continued tagging clothes for a consignment sale. 

Dh FINALLY took the Christmas tree to the recycle lot. Our city chips them all up for mulch.

On the other hand, dh is already trying to junk up the storage closet I cleaned out so thoroughly. Argh! 

• Like 1

I’m still on the schoolroom. 7 boxes of books gone to the public library, and 6 to the school library. Lots of trash and recycling gone, bags to Goodwill. I’m waiting on someone to pick up old non-working printers and kiddie bookcases. The homeschool curriculum is in stacks, I’m accepting all offers just to get rid of it and bring in a few bucks. My goal is to make the room a book/art/game room, but if I don’t organize it well, it will become a dumping ground again. No one does schoolwork in there. At least now you can vacuum the floor, that’s progress.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2019 at 9:27 AM, cintinative said:

I still have old calendars dating back years and I can't come up with any good reason for them other than memories/nostalgia. 

Surely I can't be the only one who suspects i will one day be falsely accused of murder and will have to account for my whereabouts on a random Tuesday three years ago?

I seriously think of that every time I dispose of an old calendar...

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I managed to finally get the rest of my spices in magnetic tins.  They’d been sitting on the counter in a box for four months, but I couldn’t stand and reach easily or just was busy.  Now almost every spice I own is on the side of my fridge, in visible and alphabetized rows.  I’m debating buying another twelve tins and repotting the few remaining ones but for now it’s a success!

These tins are the ones and all but two have been great (two had magnets that weren’t magnetized strong enough to stick):

https://smile.amazon.com/Stainless-Measuring-Organizer-Condiment-Container/dp/B076GG45DV/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549175819&sr=8-3&keywords=hanindy+magnetic+spice+tins

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 2

after listing a TV on my local FB buy nothing page, and responded to THREE people, none of whom confirmed they'd come and get it.  (only one responded to ask about dimensions) - I finally got rid of it.  I put it on craigslist - and it still went to someone who' s only 15 minutes away.   win-win.  I didn't have to haul it anywhere, and they got a tv for free.  and it's gone...

• Like 3

Everyone is doing great!   I was on such a good roll before Christmas season but having trouble getting back in gear. 

I remembered an idea I heard about.  Get some empty totes with lids and box up the kitchen like moving (not the food). Clean the cabinets while empty.  When I need an item I will pull it out, use, wash and put back in the cabinets.  By the end of the month I should have everything I use in my cabinets.  The article said donate the rest.  

Thinking about trying this with a few minor variations.  Like after cleaning cabinets putting the stuff I know I use back in the cabinets (plates, cereal bowls, new cookware, everyone's favorite cup) and using cardboard boxes for stuff I am pretty sure I want to get rid of but have some doubt about (old cookware, some glasses etc) and totes for stuff that I am not sure about.  This way when I get done with my experiment I don't have to touch the things I had some doubt about again.  I can just load the boxes and donate them.  Yes if I touch a boxed item again even if I haven't used it in a year I sometimes get the "what if I really need this" doubt again.  

I got some new cookware for Christmas but the pans are different sizes than what I am use to using.  I am hoping this will help me figure out what I can get rid of and what I need to keep.

Maybe I could try this concept with other areas of the house I am struggling with.

• Like 2

@Baseball mom that kitchen boxing idea is so great!  What better way to figure out what you actually use on a day to day basis!  We did something like that when we moved, out of necessity, and it was eye opening.

And that was AFTER having Konmaried the kitchen for the first half of the move!  I think by the time I fully unpack in our fixed up kitchen there will be another two medium boxes to donate from the pared down kitchen collection.

4 hours ago, Baseball mom said:

I remembered an idea I heard about.  Get some empty totes with lids and box up the kitchen like moving (not the food). Clean the cabinets while empty.  When I need an item I will pull it out, use, wash and put back in the cabinets.  By the end of the month I should have everything I use in my cabinets.  The article said donate the rest.  

This is a great idea!

During the Superbowl, I plan to go through school books as my dd is going to dual enroll next year. I don't need to keep extras just in case anymore. 

I feel like I’ve entered a new dimension!!!
Dh did some purging in his closet! And let me KonMari his t-shirts. 😮 Miracles do happen. Now I’m desperate to choose closet organizers. I have several in my carts on different sites, lol.

• Like 2

The swing set is gone! I let our handyman take it to fix up for his little kids. My kids are excited about how much bigger the backyard looks (youngest is 9, no one has been playing on that swing set in awhile). Now they’re begging for a trampoline and dh is remaining steadfast against it.

Edited by musicianmom
  • Like 1

Dh gave notice that we would be out of our off-site 5 x 5 storage unit on February 23rd.  This will save us $105 per month!

We spent some more time today culling but mostly consolidating.  We have on-site storage at our condo, but there were already things in it, and it is only 3 x 4.  We do have some of ds’s things, but I am slowly shipping some things (mostly sheet music) to him in flat rate USPS large boxes.  We will continue to store some things for him.  

The biggest challenges we are finding are irregular-shaped items.  Some of them cannot be avoided (golf clubs, bike rack for the back of the car, etc).  However, what we have determined is having plastic tubs in two sizes but that are all identical has helped tremendously. Two of the smaller stack neatly on top of the larger.  Though, for the most part we are stacking large on large and small on small.  We are using clear tubs.  I am listing what is inside of them on a piece of paper and positioning the paper inside the tub so it can be read from the outside.  We are organizing things in the on-site storage unit based on how frequently we will need to access them.  We will have tall stacks, but we are determined to make it work.  We are having to put some things in our closets in our condo, and they are now a bit more “full” than I would like them but not horrible. 

Our remaining struggle are three large-ish and irregular shaped items that belong to ds - a sound mixing board, an accordion, and a guitar.  I am seriously considering offering him cash to replace them if he so desires - just cutting him a a check.  The guitar is not special to him, but he purchased the accordion with his own money that he saved (a large purchase for the age at which he bought it). He used to use the sound mixing board quite a bit.  

Still unsure what to do with my wedding portrait and all of our framed diplomas/certificates.  They are too large to stack in the larger tubs we are using.  I don’t really have space to hang them in our condo (nor do I want to).  

I posted on a separate thread that I donated my wedding gown earlier this week to Angel Gowns.  That got rid of a large box! 

We are getting there. 

• Like 4

Hoggirl, I am impressed!!

Do you have room under a bed for a storage box for the diplomas? Or even under a sofa? Or get one wider but shorter box that they would fit in and balance it on top of one of your stacks of other boxes?

We moved this summer and cleared out many things then. But I still have boxes of memorabilia and miscellaneous things in my basement storage room that I need to go through. We are always going to need some storage space, but I think I could reduce it by half if I really worked at it. I'm still recovering from our move, though, and I also helped my Dad move in November and December, so I am not in the mood to sort through those things soon. Eventually, I think I will make a goal of sorting one box per week. And my ultimate goal for my storage items is to pare it all down to the basic before we move again. Barring a change in our circumstances, we won't move until the kids are grown -- we've moved way too many times so far -- but we also know that we will eventually need to downsize before retirement. So in ten years, give or take, I want to have many fewer storage items. The normal thing for me to do is accumulate more, so it will take an ongoing commitment to reduce, instead.

• Like 1

DD13 cleared clothes out of her room today, with no prompting. I was impressed!! They are still in her room, actually, but we will bag them up tomorrow. Also, last weekend, I had DS14 remove all of the shirts that he would never wear from his closet and drawers, so we have a big stack of boys' clothing to get rid of, as well. I pulled six or eight shirts from my own cupboard that I don't wear any more, and I can add to that, because I did not do a thorough job but just grabbed the obvious things.

The cupboard where we keep our games is stuffed full, and we are having trouble fitting in the new ones that we got for Christmas and recent birthdays. So I decided to pull some things out of there today. I found two copies of Trivial Pursuit -- how we ended up with two, I don't know -- so we will get rid of one. I could probably get rid of both, but I used to love it and am not ready to say good-bye completely yet, even though there are other games that I prefer now.

I also found three versions of Scrabble. One regular. One travel edition. One deluxe edition where you can spin the board to face each player in turn. Spinning the board is a good feature, but so is the compact size of the travel one, so I have to look at them in more detail before I decide. I'll make sure that whichever one I keep has all of the pieces, still.

I also pulled out a few of the kids' games that they don't play any more, and I will have the decide if they are ready to let them go. Operation. Rush Zone football board game (we got this one for DS13 when he was playing flag football, but I think it's only been played once or twice in the years we've owned it). And one other so far. I can probably rustle around in there and find a few more.

I don't think the game cupboard will be any less full in the end, but I should be able to fit the new things in. There are many newer games that I would love to own, and it would be nice to have space for new acquisitions.

• Like 2

@Story girl - for better or worse our bed is a platform bed.  There is not much room underneath it.  The flat storage box we had was about an inch too tall.  There are a bunch of little “posts” (for lack of a better term) under the platform to support it.  Our other bedroom has a sleeper sofa - barely any room underneath at all. Not only are the diplomas framed, they are matted as well, which makes them particularly large.  We currently have our Christmas ornaments stacked on top. 🙂 We’ll figure something out!

On games, I have seen the suggestion to remove them from boxes and just stack the boards and put the pieces/dices/spinners in labeled ziploc bags.  

• Like 1

I have made over $250 at the big consignment sale this month! Consigning is not new for me, but it is nice to have clothes and houshold items that we no longer need make money. I always put in many more items than I purchase, plus we are trading no longer useful items for things we need.

I spent $150 on kids' clothes, toys (gifts for birthdays and Christmas, carefully stashed away!), household items and a purse for me. Retail value well over $800, plus sales tax of over 9%. Consignment sales (as opposed to consignment stores) do not pay/charge sales tax in TN. 

I continue to cull and sift our household items, taking several bags to the thrift store each month. 

Looking forward to some warmer, drier weather when I can attack the shed and then the attic.

• Like 4

I'm doing well over here.  I've culled and packed all of our belongings quite a bit in preparation for our move, which we'll begin moving into the new house on Tuesday after closing. I still have to help my mom tackle her stuff when she gets home in March.  She's done a lot on her own but I'll get her through the rest of it as we need to get everything out so we can work on her house before putting it on the market

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 12:08 PM, Ktgrok said:

For mugs, I rotate them. I have a display hanging stand thing and the fun ones go on there. But I also have christmas ones, which get put away until christmas, and when those come out the others go away. If space is an issue you could rotate like that. 

I do the same, Christmas mugs get stored with Christmas decorations and only used during the holidays. But I now have only a matching set of simple mugs that I keep in the kitchen. Keepsake mugs - gifts or souvenirs - have been repurposed as pencil/pen/paintbrush holders in my study. 

I am currently tackling the paper monster. Working through years of saved paperwork of four kids, each who’ve been homeschooled for a length of time within the last 20 years. As a stickler for documentation, I’ve kept a lot of stuff. Time to be done with that. 

Plus still working on rerouting mail that arrives here in scads for people who don’t live at this house. 

I am not sure what I’m doing could  be considered konmari-ing, though, because nothing about the things I am finding necessary to keep spark joy - it’s all about business records, kwim? 

I feel like once I get the paper beast tamed, I will be fully capable of taking on...the books! Like many of you, it’s something that’s a challenge for me. I culled the shelves pretty well a few years ago, but it’s time to get ruthless.  

• Like 1

Not much news here, we are a little more organized and I’m being good about culling outgrown kids clothes (my husband wanted me to save hand me downs but I had twenty boxes in various sizes at one point and I’m DONE - I’m okay rebuying except for church clothes).

We are doing a good job controlling what comes in too, which is the long term goal.  So clutter is moving out and new items are moving in at a much slower rate, and to replace broken or used up items instead of accumulating.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2019 at 11:27 AM, cintinative said:

I struggle to keep up with shredding. I just spent about five hours shredding a few weeks ago and that was not even everything I should have cleared out. It would go so  much better if I did it as I went along (new bill filed, old bill shredded) but I never do that. I wait until the file cabinet declares there is no more room, and then I sit and shred until the shredder gets overheated. Sigh. Starting new habits is hard! 

Me too but my sister had the perfect solution for me.  I bought a metal trash can, added some gravel I already had into the bottom and made a burn bucket/can. She, my dc, and I burned bunches of paper earlier this week. It was fun and freeing and so much better than spending hours shredding. Next time we'll be better prepared and have s'mores fixings on hand, lol.

Have been working steadily on the paper monster. After asking in another thread for filing help, I decided to invest in Freedom Filer labels. So, I have been setting that up and filing or trashing as needed. Have another large paper sack filled with papers for the next burn. Loving this set-up so far.

Continuing to do random stuff too. Have a couch, chair, and a bike pulled aside for donation, some desk chairs that are broken to trash, etc.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2019 at 8:45 AM, StaceyinLA said:

I’ve gone through them, and I’m not sure there are many more I’m willing to toss, but I still don’t know that I would want to take the time to get them all into books. I might though - I just need to set aside time to get it done.

I work for a photographer, and she has told me she’ll help me digitize all my really old photos (like me as a baby/child), so I can make an album of those pics. For pictures of my kids, I would be fine taking those with my phone then uploading and making books. I just want them somewhere.

How do you make albums with digital pictures? I've realized I have TONS of digital pictures -- but the kids never see them because they are on the computer. Is there some sort of digital scrapbook I can use to put them together then order a book they can actually page through?