Menu

Where do you hide the cookies

Liz CA

Inside the broken microwave.

The cupboard above the fridge.

The shelf in my closet.

The back of top shelf of the art cabinet (I'm the only one that goes in there.)

I used to keep my emergency stress/pms dark chocolate in my nightstand drawer. Then I kept it on a shelf in my closet. I now keep it (and any other sweets in the house that were purchased with the intent to last more than a day) inside of a file box with a combination lock 😞 

I'd consider stashing something like christmas cookies in a box in my car's trunk.

With my husband’s ewaste collection. Even my husband seldom touch his ewaste collection which he is supposed to bring to his office ewaste collection area. Besides my husband isn’t into cookies so even if he sees them he won’t say a thing or eat them.

They have to be in airtight containers though. My kids have sensitive noses as well as me, especially for butter cookies.

• Like 1

I used to hide things under my bed (we have limited options here) but dh has found my little toolbox that was hidden there with hammer and nails because I could never find any when I needed them.

I have the cookies in tins and tomorrow I will be baking my last batch...so I am thinking the cabinet with the tablecloth and placemats. The guys NEVER look in there. You guys have inspired me to think deeper and more deviously!  😋Thank you.  

Sometimes I just stash things in plain sight by putting some clutter on top of it.  Like in a basket on top of the washing machine with a towel thrown on top, or something like that.  All their stockings stuffers and candy are in plain sight in a small Christmas bag I threw some tissue paper, bows, extra tags, etc on top so it just looks like a bag of Christmas wrapping supplies.

Strangely enough, no one ever cleans anything up or straightens up to find the goodies except me.  Hmm...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Depends whom you're hiding them from.

Mostly I don't buy / bake them until the day I need them (or one night before).

If I need to hide small stuff - the "in plain sight" (modified - place something over it that the kids expect to see there) usually works.  Otherwise in an underwear drawer or similar place nobody would think to look in.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, scholastica said:

We always freeze them. Everybody gets a sample cookie and the rest are for Christmas. They are, after all, Christmas cookies, not Advent cookies.

This is the crux of it. Dh thinks of them as Advent cookies, to be eaten in the anticipation of things to come.

• Haha 1

I am a great baker of cookies.  I really don't like day old cookies, a week old is just blech. Sugar cookies are okay a few days old, though - maybe it's all the extra sugar?  I like to mix up dough, freeze it into balls, then bake up a batch fresh daily between now and Christmas.  I'm ready for peanut butter, ginger snaps, and snickerdoodles.  I also have sugar cookie dough ready to roll out.

Freeze and bake tips from King Arthur Flour - for cookies and other goodies!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have a certain small section of counter under the microwave between the fridge and the pantry that everyone knows is off limits. Any food set out on that counter is not to be eaten or used to cook without risking almost certain death (or at least Momma's death ray eyes). Somehow everyone obeys this rule, even DH, who is a world class snacker and snitcher of clandestine bites. Maybe I have really scary death ray eyes ...

• Haha 1

Normally I keep them in the freezer (and make an extra batch of my favorites for me to snack on)but this year my freezer was too full so I put off baking while I tried to whittle down other stuff in my freezer.  But then I got too busy and I still haven't started.  Thursday, Friday and Saturday are schedule for a marathon baking session.  Since I have less time to snack on them, I'm hoping I can get by without making the extra batches and that will save some time getting it all done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WendyLady said:

I am a great baker of cookies.  I really don't like day old cookies, a week old is just blech. Sugar cookies are okay a few days old, though - maybe it's all the extra sugar?  I like to mix up dough, freeze it into balls, then bake up a batch fresh daily between now and Christmas.  I'm ready for peanut butter, ginger snaps, and snickerdoodles.  I also have sugar cookie dough ready to roll out.

Freeze and bake tips from King Arthur Flour - for cookies and other goodies!

This is me.

Cookies are meant to be eaten within a couple of days, with a few exceptions. 

• Like 2