Do you break the speed limit?

Do you break the speed limit?  

1. 1. Do you break the speed limit?

• I do if it's safe to do so
    • I have done so occasionally by accident but wouldn't intentionally
    • I never break the speed limit
    • I don't drive/don't have a car
    • Other

I was reading the thread about 'doing the right thing' and wondering about people's attitude to the speed limit.

Is obeying one's country's laws (assuming that one lives in a democracy and can influence their form) a duty? Is there something about the speed limit that makes it different from other laws?

I ask because I often meet people who would never steal from a shop, but feel fine about breaking the speed limit.

ETA: if you do intentionally break it, I'd love to understand your philosophy about laws in general.

Laura

Edited by Laura in China

In general, no. I use my cruise control to keep myself "honest." It's more about safety and saving gas for me than it is a moral issue (although I think unsafe speed is a moral issue). Oh, and I prefer not to get a ticket if I can help it. ;)

My dh commutes about 40 minutes to work, and the people who are in a big hurry don't get there more than slightly ahead of everyone else--it's just not worth it.

I voted other and not to be contrary :tongue_smilie: I drive over the speed limit on the back roads here at home. I could have voted "only when safe to do so" except it isn't always safe to do so here, but I know the roads so well. Like mamabegood I use the cruise control to keep myself honest most of the time but on the back roads there is no point as you need to slow down frequently.

ETA: I should add that I am actually one of the slower drivers on those back roads. It doesn't excuse the fact that I go to fast but might explain how people drive around here.

Edited by TeacherZee

My opinion is that you follow the law for a number of reasons. In this case, some engineers and lawmakers have decided that X is the fastest speed one should safely go on a given road. To do otherwise is suggesting that I know better which isn't true (I'm NOT an engineer or any other scientist that could possibly know better). I consider it a sanctity of life issue. I value my own life, that of my children and the lives of other people. I also consider it an obedience issue as God commanded us to submit to authorities as long as it doesn't go against his standards.

So because of the above, I'd LIKE to say I NEVER speed. But HONESTLY I've done otherwise accidentally, even a few times on purpose though it's been extremely rare as my opinion is getting there late is better than not getting there (not to mention that I will be even LATER if I get pulled over for speeding).

But I don't see this any different than anything else. I've also had a sharp tongue with my hubby and children, vented frustration about another person, gone to sleep angry or upset, pre-judged someone, and a number of other things I have to work on occasionally. I don't take them lightly by any means. I simply catch myself and try to do better next time after asking God to forgive me.

My dh commutes about 40 minutes to work, and the people who are in a big hurry don't get there more than slightly ahead of everyone else--it's just not worth it.

There's a straight stretch of country road that I travel frequently, and which ends in a town. I drive at about 55mph on that stretch (the speed limit is 60) but, although it's only about five hundred yards and the speed limit in town is 30mph, half the drivers behind me at that point will overtake, even though they have to slow down straight afterwards. I just don't understand the need.

Laura

Edited by Laura in China

My opinion is that you follow the law for a number of reasons. In this case, some engineers and lawmakers have decided that X is the fastest speed one should safely go on a given road. To do otherwise is suggesting that I know better which isn't true (I'm NOT an engineer or any other scientist that could possibly know better). I consider it a sanctity of life issue. I value my own life, that of my children and the lives of other people. I also consider it an obedience issue as God commanded us to submit to authorities as long as it doesn't go against his standards.

So because of the above, I'd LIKE to say I NEVER speed. But HONESTLY I've done otherwise accidentally, even a few times on purpose though it's been extremely rare as my opinion is getting there late is better than not getting there (not to mention that I will be even LATER if I get pulled over for speeding).

But I don't see this any different than anything else. I've also had a sharp tongue with my hubby and children, vented frustration about another person, gone to sleep angry or upset, pre-judged someone, and a number of other things I have to work on occasionally. I don't take them lightly by any means. I simply catch myself and try to do better next time after asking God to forgive me.

Ditto.

Also, I'm teaching my dc to follow rules/policies, and how to change the ones they don't like. I don't want to be a "do as I say and not as I do" mom. All the time, anyway. ;)

Just for background, I have been accused of being "too honest" and also too rigid in following rules:glare: For the record, I don't think you can be "too honest", although I do think that it's important to know when to keep your mouth shut rather than blurting something needlessly and hurting someone. I have also had people ask me for advice in handling a tricky situation saying that they knew I'd "do the right thing", so that's a little nicer way of saying it:001_smile: Though I have a problem with being called a goody-goody, it's pretty important for me to do what I feel is the right thing. If I don't, in even the smallest way or just if I'm not sure I've done the right thing, I feel awful for a very long time.

I do speed regularly. I set my cruise control at 4 miles over the speed limit. Why 4 miles over? Because I've been told most police won't pull you over for that. I used to go much faster. Driving back and forth from Austin to Wichita when I was 18, it was nothing for me to exceed 100 mph. I wasn't much different at 18 than I am now except that I now have kids and no longer feel invincible. I have too many people counting on me to be so foolish. Yet I still speed and I routinely go only fast enough to not get in trouble for it. That seems to contradict my overall personality. I'm not a sneaky person. I don't do things which are immoral or illegal if I know I won't get caught.

Speeding just seems different to me. I feel that when I speed (now) that I am only doing so when I feel it's safe--which is most of the time. I am a very cautious driver. On the dirt roads around here I usually go 20-30 mph rather than the 55 that is posted. Most people go 55. I don't feel it's safe, so I don't do it.

I think this is the only law I don't obey. At one time I didn't wear my seatbelt either, but I changed my mind about that one. Since our wreck in August no one will ride in one of our vehicles without a seatbelt, dh included. I used to think the seatbelt law was an example of government overstepping its bounds. Actually, I still do; I just agree that wearing a seatbelt is safer. The speed limit I see more as a guideline. They have to post something so that people who have no judgement and are not careful drivers won't go nuts and cause more accidents.

I'm somewhere in between. I don't usually speed. I really don't want to get a ticket and increase my insurance rates. But, if I'm not paying attention, my speed may inch up and if I catch myself I slow down. I have only received one ticket for speeding in my life and that was actually because they changed a neighborhood school zone from "when children are present" to "7:30-3:30" and I honestly did not know they had made the change. I am very careful to drive slowly by schools and parks.

Well, breaking the speed limit doesn't really hurt anyone, assuming it's safe to do so. Actually, the safest thing would be to not drive at all. If you only care about safety, then taking the bus or walking is the "right" thing to do, I guess - at least in many situations. There are risks inherent in driving, and those risks go up when you go faster.

I think it's terribly irresponsible and just flat wrong to really drive faster than the conditions allow, and the speed limit is set to make things safer. So as a rule, I think it should be followed. But to me, breaking the speed limit is not, assuming conditions make it relatively safe, as "wrong" as stealing.

I also believe that there are laws against things that I do not believe to be wrong. Generally I chose to obey these laws not because I believe them to be right but because I don't want the hassle of dealing with authorities over items of small or no consequence. On the other hand, there are some things that are against the law that I do not believe should be and that I believe in strongly enough to commit a willful act of civil disobedience to do anyhow. Some examples of this would be: some of my children were born illegally at home, school illegally at home, not immunized against state law. I do not believe that the rights of the government trumps the rights of man in these cases, nor do I believe that these things are inherently wrong therefore I can live with myself when I chose not to obey these laws.

The above paragraph is mine from the other thread. This is one of those things that I obey not because I believe speeding is inherently wrong but because I don't want the hassle of dealing with authorities over it because it is of little or no consequence. I do not speed on purpose but I am not overly strict on monitoring my speed either. I try to stay within 2 or 3 miles per hour of the speed limit. I am especially cautious in kid and school zones and parking lots.

I do not believe that I have a moral imperative to obey the law of the land though as I explained above.

I don't usually speed much because I don't want to pay for a ticket. But, when I'm driving the freeways in Detroit, it's would be insane not to speed a bit! I think it's safer to go the speed of traffic than to go the speed limit with everyone passing me. The speed limit is 55 and I usually go with the speed of traffic - 65 - 70.

Side streets - nope!

Well, breaking the speed limit doesn't really hurt anyone, assuming it's safe to do so. Actually, the safest thing would be to not drive at all. If you only care about safety, then taking the bus or walking is the "right" thing to do, I guess - at least in many situations. There are risks inherent in driving, and those risks go up when you go faster.

I think it's terribly irresponsible and just flat wrong to really drive faster than the conditions allow, and the speed limit is set to make things safer. So as a rule, I think it should be followed. But to me, breaking the speed limit is not, assuming conditions make it relatively safe, as "wrong" as stealing.

So, Danestress, is stealing not as "wrong" as murder? :)

And for the sake of some dialogue, are there rules in your home that are more wrong to break than others? Do your dc know which ones are which?

I'm half jesting here, btw, but your last sentence sure caught my attention!

I obey speed limits in neighborhoods just about "no matter what". I obey them in school zones and most city areas... just about 100% of the time. It really bugs me when I am in a school zone in school times and people ride my tail and hurriedly pass me. But I go by the speed limit.

BUT, if there is an emergency (a couple of times, for real, and 911 and an abulance were not involved) I will safely speed - safe to the best of my ability. Like when son ate something he is highly allergic to and was not breathing well at all... and I prayed the entire time. I ran a red light in that instance, too, looking to do so as safely as possible.

And another BUT is, I will drive 3-5 mph over the speed limit occasionally on major roads (not neighborhoods) and I pretty much go by the speed limits on highways/freeways, unless the flow of traffic is above the speed limit and I am surrounded by others going that mph (like going 70 in 65).

So, that's my way of it... And I teach my children to obey the rules and laws and feel that I am doing a good job of setting a good example.

So, Danestress, is stealing not as "wrong" as murder? :)

And for the sake of some dialogue, are there rules in your home that are more wrong to break than others? Do your dc know which ones are which?

I'm half jesting here, btw, but your last sentence sure caught my attention!

Yes, absolutely, stealing really isn't as wrong as murder. I understand that many Christians say that all sins are equally wrong, and I understand (well, sort of) the theological basis of that. As a Christian, I believe that my need for a redeeming Lord is there no matter how "right" I can manage to be. I get that any amount of sin is evidence of my fallen nature and my need for God's mercy.

But in my daily life, it does absolutely seem that some wrongs are more wrong that others in terms of how they affect relationships and the community. The law reflects that. Stealing a candy bar isn't murder. Gossip is wrong, and nothing you can say about it will make it right. But if you gossip about me, I will find that much easier to forgive that if you shoot my dog.

And in my home? Absolutely. Some wrongs are more wrong that others.

Yes, absolutely, stealing really isn't as wrong as murder. I understand that many Christians say that all sins are equally wrong, and I understand (well, sort of) the theological basis of that. As a Christian, I believe that my need for a redeeming Lord is there no matter how "right" I can manage to be. I get that any amount of sin is evidence of my fallen nature and my need for God's mercy.

But in my daily life, it does absolutely seem that some wrongs are more wrong that others in terms of how they affect relationships and the community. The law reflects that. Stealing a candy bar isn't murder. Gossip is wrong, and nothing you can say about it will make it right. But if you gossip about me, I will find that much easier to forgive that if you shoot my dog.

And in my home? Absolutely. Some wrongs are more wrong that others.

I understand what you're saying, really!

To me, I guess, a sin is a sin is a sin. The consequences may be greater for some, but it doesn't make one act any less wrong, ya know?

Your post got me to thinking on this cold, rainy day.

I don't have a lot of respect for speed limits. That's not to say I go bombing down every road I drive on -- I don't. In most cases I follow the speed limit because I don't want to interface with authority figures and give the government even more of my money.

And in some cases I go slower than the speed limit -- on the gravel road to our house, for example. The speed limit on these rural roads is 45 mph -- stupidity, in my opinion. And all the people who end up upside down on my property because they went that fast -- or faster -- on the curve around our place might agree at this point, too.

But not all speed limits are based on safety issues and that's my gripe. Some of them are just flat out based on collection of revenue.

We have a stretch of road that is frequently patrolled. The speed limit is 45 mph. It's a four lane road with a suicide lane and wide shoulders and virtually no cross traffic. It's actually a better road than some of the major highways that flow through. But it's good for revenue, because you have the impression you're going much slower on this stretch than you really are.

They were patrolling it the other day and a friend of mine was pulled over. He asked them, "Tell me -- how many accidents do you have out here?" None. Zero. Nada. The cop admitted the patrols were for collecting revenue. And they do the same thing with construction zones. No work going on -- no workers. But those miles and miles of 35 or 45 mph speed limits are great for the revenue streams.

So while I don't steal and I don't murder, speed limits don't carry the same weight with me. It's just another example of someone else deciding they can tell me what to do -- whether it makes any sense or not.

And, for the record, my last speeding ticket -- or ticket of any kind -- was when I was eighteen years old -- a long time ago.

On my Samoan island, the speed limit is basically 20 mph, and there's really only one main road that curves around most of the island. So you have to go slow. Even trying to go 30 mph would be insanity. When I lived in CA, I tried to stay close to the speed limit, maybe 5 mph over on the freeway if the flow of traffic was moving faster.

Edited by RenayofRohan
Clarity

On surface streets I always try to obey the posted speed, but on the freeways I drive with the flow of traffic. That usually happens to be 5-10 miles over the posted limit, but I feel it is safer to do so than to hold up traffic and to encourage other drivers to race out and around me.

I was reading the thread about 'doing the right thing' and wondering about people's attitude to the speed limit.

Is obeying one's country's laws (assuming that one lives in a democracy and can influence their form) a duty? Is there something about the speed limit that makes it different from other laws?

I ask because I often meet people who would never steal from a shop, but feel fine about breaking the speed limit.

ETA: if you do intentionally break it, I'd love to understand your philosophy about laws in general.

Laura

I break it. You get flattened here doing 60 in a 55. It's flat dangerous. Speed of traffic is 65-75 mph in the 55 zone, depending on the time of day. You get pulled over--literally--for going 55. It's bizarre.

The spirit of the law is public safety. It's about going a safe speed. So if I go the speed of traffic, I'm (usually) going a safe speed. If I go substantially above or below the speed of traffic, I'm dangerous. It might be BETTER if the speed of traffic were 55 mph, but if I did that, there's a good chance I'd *cause* an accident here and get people killed! Killing someone because I want to follow the law isn't good!

Now, where I used to live, the speed limit on the interstate was 70. Sometimes people went 70. Sometimes they went 80. And some days, the speed of traffic was 55. I went the speed of traffic, no matter what it was. I never figured out a pattern to it....

But there are times that the speed of traffic--or at least the guy behind me!--is unsafe to me. For example, I've gone 60 in a 45 mph construction zone in the RAIN and had six cars about two inches behind by bumper, breathing down my neck. In my opinion, it was more dangerous to go faster than it was to have seven cars way too close together, so I didn't speed up any more.

Around the time I was due to come of my P's I found myself getting a little complacent, so I went off and did a defensive driver course. I was doing it with a bunch of young tradesman apprentices with their panel vans full of equipment. It scared us all so much we all wanted to drive home at 30km an hour! A few months after, I was driving along a dirt road, ironically thinking about the course, and took a corner way under the speed limit, but still too fast for that corner, spun and nearly rolled the car. That consolidated my lesson very well. After that, there's no way I'm going to speed deliberately. I don't think people have a very good idea at all on stopping distances. Most of the exercises in the course had us driving at a specified speed until the instructor flagged us to stop, and we had to try not to knock over the witches hat. The last exercise of the course, we were to choose our own speed. The guys all did 60km, which was the speed limit at the time, and well and truely knocked over their witches hat. I went 10km under, and still knocked mine over. If that had been a person, I wouldn't have killed them, but I would certainly have broken them. The idea of speeding when it is safe to do so is all very well and good, but some things are outside expectations. If I have to drive back home after dark from out of town, I usually drive about 20km below the limit, depending on the road I take. I don't expect a roo to jump out in front of me, but if one did, I'd come off worse than it would.

I've saved a few rev heads from speeding fines in the past. I don't imagine they were thanking me for it, but I don't care to 'donate' even if they do!

Rosie

I watch my speed on surface roads, but on the tollway or freeway anyone doing the speed limit may get rear ended! it is safer to go the speed of everyone else - usually about 10 miles above the posted limit. I just always remember my mom getting pulled over doing 37 in a 30 mph zone while we kids were in the car - I have had a fear of being caught speeding ever since!!!

I don't really know why - just can't bring myself to go so slow when there is really no need. I never speed in a school zone, I usually go 5 or so over on city streets, and I zip along nicely on the freeway, generally around 8 over (my ex-cop father-in-law states they normally pull people over at 10 above).

Our state speed limit is 75 on open freeways, and yes, I set my cruise at 82ish. I've always had a lead foot, and yes, I've had my share of traffic school classes.

Overall, I'd say I go with the flow - whatever that is. If I'm speeding and no one else is, I'll slow down. Because I figure they must know something I don't! :tongue_smilie:

I have a lead foot. I speed. I believe in the spirit of the law, but I don't like getting caught, either. I have also done a defensive driving course- and I felt the policeman had common sense, rather than a rigid attitude toward the law. I learned what is the safe distance to stay behind the car in front of me- 3 seconds- it gives time to react. It is also further than you would think.

I find people who drive too slowly irritating and often dangerous, personally. Same with people who slow down to almost nothing 200 metres before turning off a major road.

I certainly don't want to be arrogant about it, but I feel I use common sense. It's important to keep an eye on what is going on all around you, including behind and up ahead. Stay alert, don't get complacent. Speed is not the only factor to consider.

I have never driven with kids in my car after drinking ANY amount of alcohol- not even "under the limit". Nor do I drive kids after any amount of codeine, not that I have either very often. Thousands of drivers out there drink and drive, thousands are on drugs, both legal and illegal, thousands drive with no license or very little experience (I didnt get my license till I was 26, so I was never a speeding teenager).

I am glad most people have a basic respect for the law- the law is there for the greater good, most of the time- but I feel many fearful, trepid drivers are far more dangerous than me going over the speed limit in the freeway or highway. I am amazed at the number of bad drivers out there, and usually that means they are just plain discourteous and inconsiderate of the effect of their driving on the people on the road with them. Drivers often seem oblivious to the people around them.

All the time, but only by about 5 mph. To go 55 on the bypass around here would be suicidal. Even 60 is slow, and people are zooming around me.

Ria

LOL, seriously- I go over the speed limit when it would be unsafe to drive at the speed limit! (That would be most of the time on the local highways.) Otherwise, I generally go the speed limit or sometimes, depending on conditions, slower. On twisty mountain roads, I find a nice horse trailer to drive behind, since they generally go at a comfortable speed for me. I'm a big chicken about driving on twisty mountain roads.

Other: I don't think its appropriate to break laws because you find them inconvenient but I do speed. Sometimes I do it because I don't realize it. Sometimes because I need to keep up with the flow of traffic. Sometimes I just have to get through that yellow light. Sometimes I have a second slice of pie even though I shouldn't. Sometimes I shave 2 pounds off of my weight when asked even though its lying. Sometimes I don't finish something I've started. I haven't quite perfected myself. I'm going to let myself off with a warning on the speeding (and the pie). Someone else with have to be perfect instead.

I can't say I "intentionally" break the law when I speed; rather, that I drive the rate that I consider acceptable ~ with some consideration given to the posted speed limits, of course. Call it semantics.;) Generally speaking, in unremarkable conditions, I go about 10 MPH over. Anything under 50 feels so ding-dang slow to me.:tongue_smilie:

I don't feel a morally obligated to obey speed limits, to be honest. I think we can safely assume none of us here would commit murder, regardless of whether or not laws were in place prohibiting same. The reason, of course, is that we have a moral compass within us. Speed limits are not a moral issue, imo.

No, never intentionally. I don't have cruise control on my car so sometimes I've noticed myself creeping over the speed limit. I generally try to drive at 5mph below the speed limit just to keep myself on the safe side. Which means I'm doing 45mph on the open road because my vehicle is restricted to 50mph.

If I had the power ( and please tell me I'm not the only one who dreams of how much better life would be if I was in charge :lol:) I would reduce all the speed limits by at least 10mph. So many lives are lost because of speed, and not just illegal speed. There is absolutely no reason why we all have to get wherever we are going so fast.

As to keeping within the speed limit I do, very strongly, believe it comes down to the same moral issue of 'doing the right thing'. In fact I'd be happy to see much, much stiffer penalties for speeding... Can you tell I feel quite strongly about this?:lol:

Sigh.

I'm "other".

I probably break the speed limit every time I drive.

I have a heavy foot. I don't watch my speedometer constantly. I like to drive fast. I don't have an excuse.

I cuss like a sailor, too.....

And I am the person driving exactly the speed limit in front of you. Have I seen your bird in my rearview mirror? :auto::001_rolleyes:

I've been in seven car accidents (never being the driver myself), and have known at least a dozen friends die in car accidents. So, let's just say I'm a little bit biased in this response. ;) But I really DO believe in following the speed limit laws. Gee-- I thought I was the only person who did, though! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only fuddy-duddy stickler out there!:lol:

And I am the person driving exactly the speed limit in front of you. Have I seen your bird in my rearview mirror? :auto::001_rolleyes:

that is me as well. I'm just not in a hurry anymore. Homeschooling has helped in that regard. My life is too precious to need to get there a few minutes earlier.

I've been in seven car accidents (never being the driver myself), and have known at least a dozen friends die in car accidents. So, let's just say I'm a little bit biased in this response. ;) But I really DO believe in following the speed limit laws. Gee-- I thought I was the only person who did, though! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only fuddy-duddy stickler out there!:lol:

You're not the only fuddy-duddy. My biggest pet peeve is tailgating, grrr.

(besides if I don't speed, I can enjoy the music cranked even longer):lol: