Menu

Anyone have experiences with moving and radically downsizing ?

Ottakee

Lots of changes are in the works here in the next year or so.

Right now I have a 5 acres hobby farm with 2 horses, 14 chickens, cat, dogs, etc. That is a lot of upkeep daily and esp in the winter between chores and snowblowing....over 36 inches in past 7 days and under the gun for 7-12 in next 24 hours.

Since we are rural there is no public transportation and none of my kids drive or will ever drive.

Yesterday a friend mentioned a condo might be the way to go. I found one near her (2 hours from where I live now) that is reasonably priced, on the water, has a boat dock, garage, on a huge trail system for walking, hiking, biking, skiing, etc. That city has an awesome door to door public mini bus system that is very affordable and the condo is in walking distance of library, hospital, grocery store, several parks, downtown shopping etc.

My so would love having his wave runners in the water as well as the bus that would take him to the local ski resort. The town is also known as being very special needs friendly with a lot of services/opportunities/jobs.

Has anyone else made such a radical move? I should be able to find work easily as I am a substitute teacher in special education and the county wide program is in this town as well.

I don't know much about condo living though.....fees, taxes, insurance, etc. I could pay cash for the condo and sock a large nest egg away from equity in my current home.

Pros, cons, things to think about? Or just tell me to go clean the house I have and be happy here with the upkeep.

• Like 2

We got rid of the house in the country and moved to town last winter. Bigger house not smaller though, but no more country chores (firewood, animals, property and trails, etc).

Living in town is amazing! Teens so close to all their activities- we LOVE it!

I’m all about a condo someday though.

• Like 3

That is a big lifestyle change! I have experience going from a large house to a small house but I don't know much about condos. Sounds like the town and area might be a really good for for your adult kids with special needs since they could have a bit more independence?

Is your spouses job an issue? Would the condo be big enough for all the adults?

• Like 1

I would make the move for sure, but I love cities such as you are describing. I live with out public transport now and don't like it at all. Can so get a job there? It seems great for your kids.

Can't help you with the rest bc I've never owned a condo.

• Like 1

Two years ago we moved from our 6 acres to a city where we are a block from downtown.

The house here is smaller but because older kids are growing up and moving out, we have fewer people living here.

Our older kids can walk downtown and take a bus to community college in the summer or take a ferry to San Francisco to shop.

Younger kids have gotten very involved with their swimming which would have been difficult in our last location because it took an hour of driving to get to activities.

I haven’t really downsized our stuff because we may move again to a larger house and we have A LOT of stuff. I think I could get rid of things if I had to though.

Overall, I’m happier here. I enjoy not having so many chores. I think it sounds like a great opportunity for you all.

For condo, HOA fees are high depending on age and facilities, insurance is low as insurance only covers the interior of your unit, property tax depend on how much the condo is evaluated as by the property tax comptroller.

A regular light rail service runs just behind my home. Company buses stop in front of my home. Library, grocer, optician, dentist and pharmacy are a short walk away. We do need to drive for doctors as there is none within walking distance.

A disadvantage of condo is that it is a short walk from our car in the communal garage to our home so if we buy heavy items we would have to either have two people carrying or get our cart down to get the items home. For very heavy items we just order from Amazon so that it is delivered to our doorstep.

Getting items like a piano into our home was challenging but doable. Check the main door width for the condo you are considering though. Ours is barely wide enough for a wheelchair or double stroller.

It sounds wonderful!  But...

You need to see what the situation is with that particular condo if that is the one you are really enamored of.  Each one may be different.  Is there a Homeowner's Association?  If so, what are the restrictions, fees, fine print of being a part of that HOA?  If you intend to bring any of your pets that also could be an issue.  Some condos have limits on size/type or even if they are allowed.  Who is responsible for roof repair, general maintenance of the grounds, etc.?  Talk with your insurance company as well.  Different ones handle condos a bit differently.  Also, what about noise?  You will be on top of your neighbors.  If your family tends to be rather noisy or you have animals you are bringing with you that are very noisy, you may end up with neighbors filing complaints against you.

As for the lifestyle change, it can be a huge adjustment.  For some it might be a dream come true.  For others, since you would not be in a house with your own yard and space but a condo right next to lots of others and no private yard to just run around in at will, that might be a bigger adjustment than they are comfortable with long term.  Some people can end up feeling claustrophobic.  

Something you might consider is possibly leasing out the farm house for a year while you and your family rented a condo to see if it was something you could adjust to.  If you don't have one already, maybe buy a lockable storage unit to keep on the farm property.  Declutter and clean out as you move but store items in there that you are unsure about getting rid of or would need if you returned but won't fit in the condo.  This would give all of you a chance to see if condo living really is for your family.  It also gives you a chance to assess how wonderful all of these wonderful sounding things really are when you are experiencing them up close and personal.  In the end, if it looks like a good fit, you could still buy a condo or a house in the city and sell or continue to lease out the farm.

You might also consider looking at houses instead of condos.  It might be an easier adjustment for many reasons plus you would still have more privacy than a condo.

ETA:  And I agree, contact a real estate agent and have them walk you through different offerings.  Shop around.  

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 3

If you can give up the animals (or find a way to get your hobby farm fix through a friend that could use some help), I say go for it. I have never lived in a city, but I lived in a rural small town (county seat) that people would move to for amenities similar to what you are describing. 

I think it sounds like a very promising opportunity. 

On the downsizing, if you are leery of getting rid of everything farming, etc. all at once and regretting it, could you slowly loan things out and see if you miss them as you rehome animals? 

Find out what monetary reserves the condo has for unexpected expenses.

Do they allow renters and, if so, what percentage are rentals.

Ask for the last year’s newsletters. All of them. Read to find out about problems.

Has the condo had any special assessments? Verify.

Any new building projects expected nearby?

I prefer condo living and live in a co-op now (similar to condo) but only if the HOA is reasonable and the building is run well.

• Like 3

Find out what monetary reserves the condo has for unexpected expenses.

Do they allow renters and, if so, what percentage are rentals.

Ask for the last year’s newsletters. All of them. Read to find out about problems.

Has the condo had any special assessments? Verify.

Any new building projects expected nearby?

I prefer condo living and live in a co-op now (similar to condo) but only if the HOA is reasonable and the building is run well.

Excellent questions

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1

We recently moved and had the option of a city apartment or a suburban house, and we chose the suburban house ... but we are a 15 minute walk from the village center which has a grocery store and basic shops. I like the idea of city living, but I really like it peaceful and quiet. We stayed for 3 weeks in a city apt. via AirBnB when we moved here, and the people talking all night outside, parades at 11 pm (festival), and lack of drivability made me decide on the house. I love having my own driveway. I love having a view of trees instead of other houses. I love not living on a street that smells like pee. I love being able to have my windows open at night. I also like having a house big enough for us to have the "zones" that work for our family.

• Like 1

The access to services would be a big deal to me.

Things that might be hard

Proximity to neighbors. This really depends on the layout of the community. Having neighbors above and on both sides of you is a big change. If it’s more townhouse style, where you still have a backyard and share one wall, that’s not so hard.

Less access to nature. What will you see when you look out your window?

The biggie is the HOA. Basically, strangers are in partial control of your personal property. The health of the HOA is everything. My mom is on her HOA. Even though it’s a huge pain, it’s important for her to have some say in the decisions being made.

Don’t forget capital gains taxes on whatever you don’t reinvest in property.

This sounds very promising for you! It sounds like it’s the right stage of your life to make this kind of change.

Sounds like it would take a load off your shoulders.  The walkability and bus system sound like a dream, as far as give your kiddos some independence (library trips, grocery runs).  

Who tends your animals now?  Would your kids miss that too much? Would you?  Would you feel good about selling/etc your animals to make this move?

We moved from a small town to a suburban sprawl situation (no public transport though). I love how everything is more convenient, but I do miss space. We were on a half acre and now are barely on 1/4. I feel the need to have a bit more privacy and not have people so close to me all the time. I like the metro amenities, but still want space to be away from people people people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We moved from a hobby farm WAY out in the country to a smaller house in an older city neighborhood with small lots.  I would not say we "downsized" much when it came to stuff because we did not have much at that time anyway.  Although we did unload a lot of outdoor tools that we no longer needed.

It was definitely a good decision for us.  The isolation and upkeep were the two biggest factors.  But I found many more benefits after moving.  We actually have better access to the outdoor activities we love in town.  Before the move, we spent so much time doing outdoor chores that we rarely had time for the outdoor things we like to do.  Gaining back the time that was lost to commuting meant even more time to pursue other activities.  We moved when dd was a baby but I can now see that living where we did would have been very limiting for her as she grew up.  She would not be able to do many of the things she enjoys doing.  And because we are right in town she can easily walk places or arrange carpool rides with others.  Even the simple things like getting repair people to our house, finding people to watch our animals when we travel, and being able to zip home between things to eat a meal or change clothing have been very good for us.

I have always been a nature lover and really thought I would not like living in town but I was wrong.

Edited by skimomma
  • Like 1

That is a big lifestyle change! I have experience going from a large house to a small house but I don't know much about condos. Sounds like the town and area might be a really good for for your adult kids with special needs since they could have a bit more independence?

Is your spouses job an issue? Would the condo be big enough for all the adults?

Condo would be big enough.  The kids would have a LOT more independence.  Issue is this community is 2 hours away from our current community.  This condo community even has a restaurant that is run mostly by adults with special needs.  I think there would be a lot of friends available through the school programs, community programs and special olympics. 

• Like 2

I would make the move for sure, but I love cities such as you are describing. I live with out public transport now and don't like it at all. Can so get a job there? It seems great for your kids.

Can't help you with the rest bc I've never owned a condo.

I should be able to get a job as I have a degree in special education and that is usually in high demand in these communities.  I also have some medical background and there is a regional hospital about 3 blocks away.

• Like 2

. Check the main door width for the condo you are considering though. Ours is barely wide enough for a wheelchair or double stroller.

Good point as my mom is in a wheelchair.  I think code is 36 inches and bathroom has handicapped toilet and rails so might have bigger door as well.

I have not read all of the replies.  How long have you pondered this?  We live in a similar situation as you and go back and forth on selling it all and moving to town.  DH would be closer to work too.  He has quite a commute.

One thing that deters is the price of taxes, etc in town.  Make sure you take that into account.  We got our house for a great, great price and the taxes are super low.

Edited by Attolia

T

Less access to nature. What will you see when you look out your window?

With this condo the view out of my living room and bedroom window would be a very large inland lake.

As to nature, the condo is less than 5 miles from state parks, several beaches, a nature center, and is on a big trail system that goes for miles and miles.  There is a boat slip so the waverunners could be in the water full time and I could kayak right from my place.

• Like 6

With this condo the view out of my living room and bedroom window would be a very large inland lake.

As to nature, the condo is less than 5 miles from state parks, several beaches, a nature center, and is on a big trail system that goes for miles and miles. There is a boat slip so the waverunners could be in the water full time and I could kayak right from my place.

That sounds awesome!

Condo would be big enough. The kids would have a LOT more independence. Issue is this community is 2 hours away from our current community. This condo community even has a restaurant that is run mostly by adults with special needs. I think there would be a lot of friends available through the school programs, community programs and special olympics.

What?! So it sounds like this specific condo community would be very welcoming to your SN young adults. That’s awesome (and unusual).

• Like 3

We have lived in condos in the past and probably will go to one next.  The questions MBM asked above are good ones.  

Find out what the HOA fees cover.  In some of the condos around here (that I can't afford anyway), the fees are as much as a mortgage...because they cover a pool, a full gym, a concercierge, a guest suite for visitors, and so on.  I don't need all of that!!!  There is another condo (that I *can* afford but can't get rid of enough stuff yet) that has a fee that covers the grounds care, the building care and property insurance, sewer, garbage, and a couple of other things I can't think of--and those are things I have to pay for anyway in my house, so it is a "good fee" in my books.  

My dh has developed an auto-immune condition that is making it hard for him to keep up even our very-small piece of property, and he is hoping we can find a condo soon...but there aren't that many in our price/size range in the area.  Argh.

The one you talked about sounds wonderful!  Check the questions mentioned above...and also find out what kind of construction.  If it is concrete construction, it will be a lot quieter than stick-built.

I am so sorry Patty Joanna.  Autoimmune conditions s*ck.

That place sounds totally wonderful.  As to how to adjust-  it really depends on the person.  Some people are like me and adjust to anything just fine.  Others are really tied to places.  Where you live right now sounds very tiring. It also doesn't help promote independence in you SN kids.  I think moving would really help with that.

I can be hard to move. We moved two hours away from our old home a few years ago, and it meant a complete change in friends, community, church, etc., which was a big adjustment. If you and your children will be able to adapt, I think the new condo sounds like a great opportunity. You would still have access to nature but better access to services for your adult children.

It's a hard decision, but I see why you are considering it. There seem to be a lot of advantages. Be sure to also think through any disadvantages, to make sure you consider them as well.

Overall, it sounds like a great plan. Having greater independence for your adult children is huge.

• Like 1

This is just in the thinking stage and this particular condo will likely not be for sale in 6-9 months when I could even be able to seriously consider this.

I just did the street view thing and there is a nice park next door with lots of trees, etc.  Then again there are some homes for sale in the area that might work as well.  I just do NOT want a lot of maintenance and the idea of sitting out on my covered deck overlooking the water and watching the sunsets is very very appealing.

Right now at home I do a majority of the outside critter chores.

I have it in mind to drive up sometime in the next few weeks or so to visit my friend who is about 1/2 hour away from this community and then drive around and maybe check out a few places with a realtor to get a better feel for the community, resources, location of things, etc.  I could also check out the school program my 2 younger ones would attend (they go until 26 here).

I would love to find something similar to this in our current area but the prices are 2-3 times as much here, taxes would be way higher, and there is NO WAY we could be on the water here.....those homes start at $$$$$$$.

Then again, I might just be dreaming of less chores, outside stuff as windchills are now well below zero and snow is deep.  This location is farther north but I would not have to take care of critters or chores or even drive my kids everywhere.

• Like 1

Also, you may want to consider the advantage of voluntarily downsizing now & passing along the hobby farm to others . . . rather than having to do it in a hurry, or at a time when the economy is tanking, and it's difficult to transition without a lot of stress or loss of investment.

We too live out in the country & I'm surprised that the suggestion of this downsizing move appeals to me as well.  :) 

• Like 2

Also, you may want to consider the advantage of voluntarily downsizing now & passing along the hobby farm to others . . . rather than having to do it in a hurry, or at a time when the economy is tanking, and it's difficult to transition without a lot of stress or loss of investment.

We too live out in the country & I'm surprised that the suggestion of this downsizing move appeals to me as well.  :)

I have loved raising the kids in the country, having the animals, quads, dirt bikes, etc. but now that they are older it is run run run....or rather drive, drive, drive.

• Like 2