Menu

Do you seasonally decorate after Christmas? (winter, spring, or other theme?)

Tap

We have two large glass bookcases in our family room.  For years I had a collection of books in the glass doors and interspersed decor items among the books.

A few years ago, I moved all the books to the open shelves (used to have a large printer there) and just have decor items in the cases now.  For Christmas I have 8 large Jim Shore santas, glass christmas trees and other decor that fits the feel of the display. It is really beautiful but only for 2 months of the year.  After Christmas last year, they sat empty because I never found a new theme. In the fall I bought metal/glass pumpkins/foliage and filled the cases starting September 1. They stayed until the Santas moved back in.  Now, I need to figure out something for January to September.  I would like it to be more general spring/summer so I don't have to redecorate and store more items.  

Any suggestions? I don't want beach theme. I am thinking about going more with a color theme instead of an icon (like santa/pumpkins).  The paint is Silver sage, couches are medium/dark grey, Furniture is dark wood.  Art work is two large floral prints in white/red/green. 

Edited by Tap

Only my mantel. I change it up for fall and Christmas. Eventually the stockings are put away and it’s just winter for a few months. Spring and summer it’s candlesticks with a large fake planter that I love.

Bookcases. Do you have any kind of collections? Old books, baskets, candle sticks, the old vintage dish from great aunt Sue, plates, figurines, your childrens baby shoes, small,photo frames of family, smallish framed quotes, etc.

Any of that with some favorite books would be year round and be cute.

Search on Pinterest for decorating glass door bookcase.

Edited by KatieinMich
  • Like 3

We decorate for holidays and seasons. After the out the Christmas away, I leave our snowmen and some rustic wooden critters ( bunnies, birds, foxes, etc). On our window in the kitchen, I have some snowflake/ Star led lights that just make a warm glow. Near the end of January, I add valentines. I have cute garlands in In holiday themes that hang from the mantel. When St. Patrick’s day rolls around the spring decor comes out.

We specifically decorate for:

Christmas

Winter

Halloween

The rest of the year is just our own little museum of things we like. I switch it out when I feel like it. Some is art, some is nature related like a pretty bowl full of rocks we've collected somewhere meaningful. Sometimes we display an unintentional collection.

We also switch out framed personal photos.

The winter themed came from easing into less decorations after Epiphany. Where ornaments hang in doorways I switch to snowflakes and Cardinals. Where the Nativity scene was becomes a winter scene with trees.

• Like 1

I don't really, but my mom does.  She does all the Nativity and religious-themed decorations before Christmas and saves the snowmen and snowflakes for January.  I kind of love that idea because it really doesn't get that all cold or snowy here until January, and then we have a good eight or so weeks of winter.  I think I will have the kids do some snow sorts of decorations this week to tide us over until it's time for hearts and Valentines. :)

• Like 2

I do Advent, add the tree and creche for Christmas, add more candles and take down the Advent specific stuff, tree, and creche for Epiphany, and leave it for a while.  That is kind of a silver, gold, and white color scheme, with a little evergreen interest, so it is easy to add a bit of red hearts for Valentine's and then put them away.

Then I put it all away and put out other stuff for Easter--pastels, eggs, etc.  I'm good with leaving that for a while afterwards but then putting it away.

Sometime in the Memorial Day to 4th of July timeframe I put out a little patriotic stuff, and leave it until after Labor Day Weekend.

I don't go all crazy with it, so it's not OTT.

Sometime in mid-September to mid-October I put out harvest stuff, and it stays out until the boundary between Thanksgiving and Advent.

None of this decor is very strong or extreme.  For instance, the RWB stuff is a flag quilt on a loveseat at the cabin, and some cocktail napkins with a flag theme out on the table, plus a blue vase that fits into our decor anyway.  Subtle, not a ton.  

Harvest is a tablecloth that is in earthtones, plus some persimmons and pomegranates, and maybe a wooden bowl or a wooden pedastal candleholder with a honey colored beeswax candle on it.  

Edited by Carol in Cal.

I have china, table linens, and napkin rings that change with the seasons. I love napkin rings -- they take up so little room and seem festive, imo.

I change the wreath on our front door -- red berries in winter, eucalyptus and white straw flowers in summer, orange bittersweet berries in fall, etc. always something that is either natural or looks natural.

Otherwise, just fresh flowers or a seasonal plant. Nothing fancy. I love the first pussy willows in spring, that sort of thing. Right now, we have paperwhites and amaryllis -- they were stocking presents for kids. Trader Joe's is my go-to place for fresh flowers and plants.

We do less with decorations and more with special meals for different holidays. My kids love food, lol.

• Like 1

I have a cousin who had her kitchen walls painted a very light, clear green color--darker than pastel but not dark.

She has a stainless steel stove and white other appliances, and wooden cabinets, so the green does not really dominate in the kitchen area of the room, but more in the breakfast nook area where it's more visible.

It's an amazingly good choice for mild seasonality.  

She puts out *a* Christmas dishtowel and two Christmas potholders and the room is Christmasy instantly.

The green is perfect for Easter and is light enough that red heart linens would not look Christmasy with it.

It has a lot of lighter natural browns and whites in the cabinetry, appliances, and trim, so harvest colors look fine with it, and tip the green into a late summer type hue.

It's really quite remarkable.  I've always had a light blue kitchen but I'm seriously considering switching to her regime.

• Like 6

I have tablecloths for Valentines Day and St. Patrick’s Day, and then spring, but not specifically Easter. The rest of the year I go with seasonal colors, but not a definite theme. I also have door hangings for different seasons. We decorate a bit for Halloween, but that’s because my kids want to do it. Christmas is the big season for special decorating.

• Like 1

I do a little.  I love adding a splash of bright red and pink after Christmas ends, January - February, mostly for Valentine's Day, and then a splash of green for March for St. Patrick's Day.  It's mostly with table runners and candles, and just a few trinkets here and there.  I only actually displace things for Christmas decorations though.

• Like 1

I have a cousin who had her kitchen walls painted a very light, clear green color--darker than pastel but not dark.

She has a stainless steel stove and white other appliances, and wooden cabinets, so the green does not really dominate in the kitchen area of the room, but more in the breakfast nook area where it's more visible.

It's an amazingly good choice for mild seasonality.

She puts out *a* Christmas dishtowel and two Christmas potholders and the room is Christmasy instantly.

The green is perfect for Easter and is light enough that red heart linens would not look Christmasy with it.

It has a lot of lighter natural browns and whites in the cabinetry, appliances, and trim, so harvest colors look fine with it, and tip the green into a late summer type hue.

It's really quite remarkable. I've always had a light blue kitchen but I'm seriously considering switching to her regime.

And the name of that paint color is?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mostly I change the string of lights I leave on the mantle. Christmas is clear/white with stockings. January is snowmen, snow flakes and blue lights. I switch through the year and it is pretty much our only decoration so it's just a few things and not clutterish. You could do snowy things through March and then do flowery/greenery things through September then back to fall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

There are a few generically winter things that I leave out sometimes, but then they wind up blending in to the house and I forget to put them away until, I don't know... June? Lol.

I didn't take my winter dishes out before Christmas because it felt like I had just put them away, and it was too much of a hassle!

Just my mantle. It looks so sad after Christmas that I wanted to make an effort to coordinate with the seasons or holidays. I do a snow theme, Valentine's, spring/Easter, summer, 4th of July, fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving. I keep it super simple and have made some items over the years and use natural elements from my garden when possible. 

Now that I have a mantel over a fireplace instead of a wood stove like our old house, I’ve done it up a bit for done seasons. I had a fall basket of fake leaves and flowers and then Xmas stuff. Right now it has white lights and snowmen but is a little blah.

Trying to buy off a fb salrs group a wooden sign that says Family to put up there, since our portraits hang above the mantle. If it’s sold already I may look for one like it at Hobby Lobby now that I have the idea in my head.

My mom does hers all up for each holiday, but I don’t want to store the extra stuff the rest of the year.

I have a little decoration for various seasons but hope to do more in time.  Currently plants are seasonal, we have some pillows and artificial flowers, berries, leaves (depending on season) on top of a tall bookshelves.  I want to change out pictures too but have to wait to frame some that I have.

I change up the painting over the mantel to a watercolor of a beach from spring to summer. The painting the rest of the year is a still life with deeper colors. I'll leave the Christmas wreath up for a while. 

In your case, I second a pp's suggestion to showcase a collection. 

I have a few different tablecloths, and I tend to choose which to use based largely on season.  

I also choose greenery and flowers seasonally.  Through a lot of the year I use what grows in my garden, but in winter it's more evergreens and such, I will get a little bouquet at the market. Then in early Spring they start to get hot house tulips and I buy those, I am usually desperate for juicy greens by then - I go for bright coloured tablecloths too. I keep my Christmas wreaths as long as they last, I see those as "winter" really, then by Spring they fade.  

I don't do different pillows and such, I don't have room for that kind of stuff.  I guess winter blankets go away eventually, that changes the look of things.