Menu

What are you planning to do to lose weight in 2018

DawnM

Eating more vegetables (as in 500 grams a day)

Eating less carbs (as in eating less industrial foods)

Moving more (as in a 30 min. Walk a day at least)

That made me lose 10 kg in 2017, I think I can lose another 10 kg this way.

To channel the stress and frustration that I normally ate away I attended a second choir.

• Like 1

I'm going strict Keto. I lost 60lbs this way in 2016. Then I had a pretty bad bout of seasonal depression last year and gained 25lbs back. I've since lost 11 lbs and I think I've gained a lot of muscle (I started weight lifting back in the spring). I am guessing I could lose another 8 lbs before reaching a place I'd like to maintain. 

I also do some fasting. Not just for weight loss, but also for energy. I think it helps my immune system and there are other benefits as well. Plus, I like fasting. I'll do two 48 hour fasts per week and eventually I'll probably go down to one 48 and two 24's. Dr. Fung's book The Complete Guide to Fasting is excellent reading. 

I'm going to continue running. I hated running all my life, but started with the couch to 10k app in the spring of 2016. I run three times a week and am currently in a group that is training for a half-marathon that I've signed up for in February. I go to the gym twice a week but am going to increase it to 3 times a week in February (after the half-marathon) to give me something to focus on. I'm hoping that the added time in the gym will help me with my battle against seasonal depression. 

My big challenge will be to stay away from sugar. I was doing great in November and basically until Christmas. I've indulged somewhat since Christmas, but not nearly as badly as I did last year. I need to go back to strict Keto and no sugar because I think sugar plays into the whole seasonal depression thing. Plus, I gain weight when I eat it. 

So, that's it I guess. Fasting, Keto, challenging exercise. 

Question on your fasting:  I've done weeks of 23/1 IF and loved it.  I'd really like to do a longer fast from time to time, mainly for immunity benefits.  I'm wondering though:  how do you fast with young kids in the house?  The 23 fast was not a big deal, I don't usually eat breakfast and during lunch I just puttered around in the kitchen right next to the kids.  But for a longer fast, my concern is explaining it to the kids.  To be fair, I fully *believe* the science of fasting and health.  But I also know science is an ever-changing thing, and I'm not willing to "sell it" to the kids because I obviously don't want them thinking they should fast.  Any ideas?    

Keep doing what I'm doing. Eat less and press play on my beach body workouts every day. I make working out a priority, something I do everyday like brushing my teeth I don't think about it I just do it. I lost 30lbs this year. I have 10 more to go.

Edited by lynn
  • Like 6

I lost 8 pounds last year doing a month or so of the "No S" diet--no snacks, no sweets, no seconds.  I kept it off by running 24 (very, very slow) miles a week, but I gave up the No S part for no good reason.  I am planning to start it again and try to lose another 10.  I wear a size 10 and consider an 8 about the size I can maintain without suffering; I figure that's 10 or 15 pounds from where I am.

• Like 6

I'm aiming at increased activity, rather than major dietary changes.  When I am physically active, I tend to eat less because I don't feel as hungry.   

Man, I wish!  I have the opposite...exercise makes me ravenous. I actually have been known to start craving a juicy cheeseburger WHILE running on the treadmill, lol. I've never eaten more than when I was on a swim team as a kid. 

• Like 1

YouĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re one of the first people IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve Ă¢â‚¬ËœmetĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ who has heard of Dr Wahl! Her way of eating is something IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d really love to aspire to, especially once I have a bit of weight off. I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t really lose that way but itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s so nourishing and healing in other ways, even if it doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t really shed pounds for me. 42 pounds off is awesome!

Really, all of you ladies who are losing or near goal are great. Bravo! And it is encouraging to hear :). I have to give props to Alicia as well, because her podcast recommendation on another thread (I think?) was just the thing I needed tonight. :grouphug:

What was the podcast? I need all the motivation I can get!

SaveSave

More musing, since I think best with talking or typing.

Aside from the issues of milk supply, I've also been dealing with depression since getting pregnant. It is MUCH better now (this was the first month of PMS that I didn't want to curl up in a ball and stay there forever...although period isn't here yet so I guess it's premature to say that), so I need to move forward on other things. My mental energy just wasn't there for what it takes to lose. 

That said, I'm really proud of maintaining. As in, other than while pregnant, I have not gained any weight back since surgery 2 1/2 years ago! Now, i never made it to goal, but I'm no longer obese. So yay! But...although my weight is the same, my pants are tighter...more pudge in the belly than before and less muscle mass. So that is going to take some clean eating and working out. 

I got a new fitbit (LOVE the Charge 2 compared to the Charge HR...the screen is so much easier on my old eyes, lol) and am going to raise my goal slowly. Right now it 's at 7K, which I pretty much always meet. Going to raise it 1K a week until I get to 10K again. Many days I hit that already, so not a big jump. NEED to do other exercise but finding time with the baby in the house, plus homeschooling, plus needing to write and finish this darn book that refuses to be finished....it's just hard. Maybe I need to try to shoot for just a few times a week, I don't know. Haven't figured that out yet. Writing has to take priority, honestly. 

So I guess increase to 10K is my only fitness goal until the book is done, then I'll add in more consistent workouts. In th meantime I can,when I want, do daily burn stuff, I have a subscription. 

• Like 2

I wish I knew you IRL, we'd be great buddies, I've got the same plan.  I'm trying to really go about it differently this time around and focus on my running as the impetus for my diet changes.  I take my (albeit very slow) running seriously and want to see what running on ketones can do for my endurance.  The running was the missing ingredient in the past.  

I only have 10-20 to lose, depending on what is truly realistic (I probably should aim for a comfortable adult weight and not my high school varsity cross country runner weight...)

I've enjoyed Mystie Winkler's habit stuff lately and want to really embrace habits as a DISCIPLINE and not a question of motivation (which will inevitably wax and wane)

That would be nice :) 

I am a slow runner, too. I knew I was slow before I joined my training group, but running with other people has really been eye-opening. I do think being in ketosis has helped with endurance. I feel like I can run forever at a comfortable pace. I don't know if I'll be able to increase my pace much - my heart rate runs high. When I'm running comfortably, my HR is between 155 and 159. It gets up closer to 180 when I'm pushing myself to keep up on tempo training nights. But, I'm not really that concerned about pace. I just enjoy being able to run.

I reached my high school weight last December. It was a very weird experience as I hadn't been that low since my early 20's. I actually didn't think it was possible to get to that point, but I did. Dh and my mom both thought I looked too thin. Now that I've put on some muscle weight I know I won't get back to that lower number again, but I don't know yet what my goal weight will be. 

I will look into Mystic Winkler's stuff. Cultivating discipline is something I'm constantly trying to get better at. 

That would be nice :)

I am a slow runner, too. I knew I was slow before I joined my training group, but running with other people has really been eye-opening. I do think being in ketosis has helped with endurance. I feel like I can run forever at a comfortable pace. I don't know if I'll be able to increase my pace much - my heart rate runs high. When I'm running comfortably, my HR is between 155 and 159. It gets up closer to 180 when I'm pushing myself to keep up on tempo training nights. But, I'm not really that concerned about pace. I just enjoy being able to run.

I reached my high school weight last December. It was a very weird experience as I hadn't been that low since my early 20's. I actually didn't think it was possible to get to that point, but I did. Dh and my mom both thought I looked too thin. Now that I've put on some muscle weight I know I won't get back to that lower number again, but I don't know yet what my goal weight will be. 

I will look into Mystic Winkler's stuff. Cultivating discipline is something I'm constantly trying to get better at. 

Have you done a true HR max test?  I've done a few hill repeats at max effort to try to get an estimate and my max is way WAY higher than the age-based formula.  So with my actual max or something close to it, my easy zone is actually anything under 160-165bpm.  I'm trying really hard to embrace the 80/20 training principle and just let progress come as it comes, but I made the mistake of running 1 (ONE!) run at a sub 10min/mi pace and it woke up so much of my old running competitive insanity that I've had to really buckle down and force an 11-12 min pace.  I feel a lot better though when I maintain the 80/20... great energy for the next run, great sleep, etc.  

Good to know the ol' high school weight is possibly a reasonable goal.  I was extremely muscular in HS, so even if I got down to that weight it would allow for a bit more fat stores since I don't see lifting in my near future.   

Question on your fasting:  I've done weeks of 23/1 IF and loved it.  I'd really like to do a longer fast from time to time, mainly for immunity benefits.  I'm wondering though:  how do you fast with young kids in the house?  The 23 fast was not a big deal, I don't usually eat breakfast and during lunch I just puttered around in the kitchen right next to the kids.  But for a longer fast, my concern is explaining it to the kids.  To be fair, I fully *believe* the science of fasting and health.  But I also know science is an ever-changing thing, and I'm not willing to "sell it" to the kids because I obviously don't want them thinking they should fast.  Any ideas?    

It hasn't been a huge issue for us - not sure if that's because of the age of my kids or because I've got all boys at home. Half the time I don't even think they notice if I'm eating or not. We have an open concept kitchen/dining area so sometimes I sit down and chat during dinner and other times I start cleaning up the kitchen while everyone else is eating. I did outline some of the science of it - but more in the context of fixing what I had messed up. Giving my body a break from insulin. Allowing my body to reset with regards to grehlin levels. And, losing fat. I don't think they look at it as something they should do themselves, rather, I think they see it as something I'm doing to fix what I messed up in the first place.

We do talk a lot about how to make healthy choices. I am open about how my eating habits and lack of activity led to an unhealthy place. 

• Like 1

Have you done a true HR max test?  I've done a few hill repeats at max effort to try to get an estimate and my max is way WAY higher than the age-based formula.  So with my actual max or something close to it, my easy zone is actually anything under 160-165bpm. 

No, but I will look into it. I can't imagine sticking to the age-based formula - I'd never be able to run again ;) 

• Like 1

1.  I am resolving not to eat anything high calorie that doesn't taste over the moon good.  That means, among other things, that I am going to throw out all my stale Christmas cookies, which are good but not THAT good.  

2.  Back to food tracking.  It's the only thing that works for me.  Glad to use MyFitnessPal rather than the ever flakey WW Online that worked for me until they changed their whole system, which I have since learned they do pretty often.  I need something more steady than that.  Codicil:  When I'm in a very active and social environment, like at the cabin, I'm not tracking, just eating sensibly.  You have to have something to live for, and besides, I'm so much more active up there that it compensates for eating more, it seems.

3.  Dang it, I triggered my plantar fascitis again, after several years of not having it, just in one danged foot.  I will be going to an accupuncturist for this after the first of the year when my FSA resets.  I hope that works; otherwise I'm going to have to try to score some prednisone and I hate that stuff.  But I have to get better or else I won't be able to keep my step count up and take up running again which I have been looking forward to for the last two months.

4.  Fitbit focus--I will up my step count average by about 1000 steps per quarter if I can't run.  And if the PF doesn't resolve so I can't even do that, then I will get back on my HealthRider and build endurance and flexibility at least.

5.  Back to Essential Stretch--I'm ready to try this again.  The last time, I had trouble but it was related to something else.  OR, I'll try restorative yoga--I have heard of a good instructor that I think I would like.

6.  ETA:  PS:  If I stayed off of social media I'd probably lose weight right away.  Seriously spending too much time on this.  Loving those little dopamine hits too much.  Got to cut way back.

That is how I feel about high calorie foods- They better be AMAZING!!

• Like 4

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m trying something a little different than what IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve done in the past. In the past IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve focused on the goal of losing weight. And I try a bunch of life changes at once and do ok but then always fail. I have a lot to lose so I think it just seems too daunting and I give up. 

So IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m instead focusing on smaller habits that are health related. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m hoping by focusing on the habits instead of just the end goal that IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll improve my health. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d like the number on the scale to be a lot lower also but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m trying to change my focus to not just be that. 

I downloaded an app called Momentum that is a habit tracker. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s free, or you can upgrade for like $3 so you can track unlimited habits. I started by working on sleep. I had gotten into the habit of waking up later than I need to and going to bed too late. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m a night owl by nature but need to be up early for the day to go well and for work. And itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s the best time to exercise. So I wanted to get up early, but I knew that I also need at least 7 hours of sleep a night. So I tracked bedtime and wake-up time for awhile and have gotten back into the habit of sleeping from 10pm-5 am which works well.

Because I was getting up early I could walk more so I also increased exercise. I stopped tracking sleep now that itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s pretty much a new habit and am working on tracking walking daily. When I walk daily I usually get 10k steps, although again IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m trying to focus on the habit instead of the number. When I focus on the number I found I get discouraged if I only get 8k or 9k and then I give up. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve realized that IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m a bit of a perfectionist in a bad way...when I Ă¢â‚¬Å“fail" I just decide itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s over and then give up. So IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m going to track walking daily and not the number of steps. 

Along they way, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve also been trying to make better choices about eating but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not tracking it so that if I Ă¢â‚¬Å“failĂ¢â‚¬ or Ă¢â‚¬Å“cheatĂ¢â‚¬ I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t beat myself up and give up again. I plan on adding in some other habits to track after the holidays but only work on maybe 2 or 3 at a time, and not all in the same area. 

I figure that this could take me a long time to lose weight, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m ok with that. I really need to change my underlying lifestyle more than anything and that takes a long time. 

So far, (about 6-8 weeks) IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve lost about 8 lbs and have maintained my weight through the holidays. 

• Like 6

lol about slow running...I am fairly certain my running pace and my walking pace are exactly the same. My husband and I can't run together because I run to slow, and we can't walk together because I walk too fast.

Treadmills? You can both run at your own pace and still run Ă¢â‚¬Å“together.Ă¢â‚¬

Dh runs faster than me by a couple of minutes per mile, but he and I still run together outside. Treadmills mean we can run our own paces. In my dhĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s case, I think running with me has helped him get faster as heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s run lots of miles at a slower pace than he would by himself. If the disparity is too high then obviously that wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t work, but then thereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s always treadmills if one has access to something like that.

Have you done a true HR max test? I've done a few hill repeats at max effort to try to get an estimate and my max is way WAY higher than the age-based formula. So with my actual max or something close to it, my easy zone is actually anything under 160-165bpm. I'm trying really hard to embrace the 80/20 training principle and just let progress come as it comes, but I made the mistake of running 1 (ONE!) run at a sub 10min/mi pace and it woke up so much of my old running competitive insanity that I've had to really buckle down and force an 11-12 min pace. I feel a lot better though when I maintain the 80/20... great energy for the next run, great sleep, etc.

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t use max heart rate to calculate my heart rate zones, but lactate threshold pace. My Garmin has helped me identify both (and my recorded max hr is higher than the age calculated one). Matt FitzgeraldĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s book Ă¢â‚¬Å“80/20 RunningĂ¢â‚¬ has instructions to figure out your LTHR sans watch.

Slow is always subjective. I still feel slow even though IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve cut 21 minutes off my half marathon time. Since I am absolutely a back of the pack runner, I am indeed slow by that measure, but I still beat the me of 2015. And even if I donĂ¢â‚¬Ëœt drastically improve my time, there are other measures that I can use to show improvement - like being able to run a certain pace (or distace) with greater ease than before or for longer before my mental game has to step up. I still hate the treadmill (itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s too easy for me to run too fast and end up injured on the treadmill), but the windchill and an upcoming half marathon has me running inside. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m finding it easier to run long distances on the treadmill than I did the last time I tried.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 1

I have a lot of weight to lose-between 80 and 100 pounds. I want to get serious about taking it off for several reasons. My plan is to eat mostly fruits and vegetables, beans, and a little meat. I will cook a normal meal of meat and two sides once a day when dh is home. When he is away at work, my dinner will be leftovers in some form.

For exercise, I walk outside if the weather cooperates, walk with Leslie Sansone inside and do leg lifts.

What kinds of support do we have on here? It seems like I remember weekly threads?

There is a Well trained bodies thread that I post to. Please join in!

• Like 1

I need to lose 20-30 pounds. I started working a year ago (part time at a job, part time at home) which was more than full time. I just didn't have time to prep/cook healthy food or exercise anymore. So first, I am not taking any at home work for the month of January. I need time to set some good habits in place again. For exercise, I am doing Tracey Anderson's 30 Day Method. It helped me drop over 30 pounds a few years ago and reshaped/toned my body, which lasted for several years. The diet part is a bit strict and time consuming so I'm menu planning very healthy/whole food meals and will be watching my portions as I tend to overeat :(  I literally have one pair of pants, one pair of jeans, and a few skirts that fit, and I'm not buying any more, so my incentive is a closet full of nice clothes to wear. I'm starting on Tuesday. ETA: my diet will be low carbish, more veg than meats, lowish dairy, and minimal sugar.

Edited by whitestavern
  • Like 4

Have you done a true HR max test?  I've done a few hill repeats at max effort to try to get an estimate and my max is way WAY higher than the age-based formula.  So with my actual max or something close to it, my easy zone is actually anything under 160-165bpm.  I'm trying really hard to embrace the 80/20 training principle and just let progress come as it comes, but I made the mistake of running 1 (ONE!) run at a sub 10min/mi pace and it woke up so much of my old running competitive insanity that I've had to really buckle down and force an 11-12 min pace.  I feel a lot better though when I maintain the 80/20... great energy for the next run, great sleep, etc.  

Good to know the ol' high school weight is possibly a reasonable goal.  I was extremely muscular in HS, so even if I got down to that weight it would allow for a bit more fat stores since I don't see lifting in my near future.   

How do you do that?

High school weight.  I was a little chubby in high school.  I thought I was SO fat....now I would be so happy to be back to that weight.

One time, in my 20s, I got to true goal thin, and surpassed my middle school weight.....it felt SO GOOD!  I had an old skirt from middle school and I tried it on and it was too big!  

Man, that was a good 5 minutes in my 20s!  :lol:

But, I will admit, keeping that weight that low was difficult, I had no margin for error in my eating.  Any "cheating' and I would start gaining.  I exercised 45 min. per day on average, and ate around 1000-1200 calories, 1400 if I had been exercising a lot.  I carried my own dressings into restaurants and only ever ordered the salad with chicken or fish.  It was pretty painful, but it sure felt good!

I need to lose 20-30 pounds. I started working a year ago (part time at a job, part time at home) which was more than full time. I just didn't have time to prep/cook healthy food or exercise anymore. So first, I am not taking any at home work for the month of January. I need time to set some good habits in place again. For exercise, I am doing Tracey Anderson's 30 Day Method. It helped me drop over 30 pounds a few years ago and reshaped/toned my body, which lasted for several years. The diet part is a bit strict and time consuming so I'm menu planning very healthy/whole food meals and will be watching my portions as I tend to overeat :(  I literally have one pair of pants, one pair of jeans, and a few skirts that fit, and I'm not buying any more, so my incentive is a closet full of nice clothes to wear. I'm starting on Tuesday.

I don't know what Tracey Anderson's is, I will have to google.

I know what you mean about time to prep.  I just spent about an hour in my kitchen rearranging so that all my diet stuff was in ONE place on two shelves.....no one else is allowed to touch it.  They don't want to, so it isn't an issue, but i don't want them putting their stuff on my shelves either, then it gets cluttered and I can't find my stuff.

Our treadmill just died.  We have a nordictrack old style ski machine, weights, a mini-trampoline, and a few DVDs to do though, and I know I can do Leslie Sandstone on Youtube.

I really don't want to buy anything else right now......

I'm going to return to a more Primal/Paleo-ish way of eating. Lower carbs. I have no problems sticking to gluten-free, but I have definitely allowed too many carbs and too much sugar creep in to my daily diet. I am considering allowing myself a "free day" (perhaps Saturdays) where I am not so rigid. I have had a friend who has used this approach for years, and she looks great! She has a lot of self-discipline during the week, but eats pretty much whatever she wants (French fries, dessert, etc) on her free day.

I also need to reduce my alcohol consumption.

How do you do that?

High school weight.  I was a little chubby in high school.  I thought I was SO fat....now I would be so happy to be back to that weight.

One time, in my 20s, I got to true goal thin, and surpassed my middle school weight.....it felt SO GOOD!  I had an old skirt from middle school and I tried it on and it was too big!  

Man, that was a good 5 minutes in my 20s!  :lol:

But, I will admit, keeping that weight that low was difficult, I had no margin for error in my eating.  Any "cheating' and I would start gaining.  I exercised 45 min. per day on average, and ate around 1000-1200 calories, 1400 if I had been exercising a lot.  I carried my own dressings into restaurants and only ever ordered the salad with chicken or fish.  It was pretty painful, but it sure felt good!

There's a few ways to do it.  Always attempt the test when well-rested.  Warm up, then find a good long hill to run on (there are other ways for people who hate running, I'll link).  You want a hill that will take you 1-2 minutes or so to run up.  Run up at your usual pace, jog down.  Let your HR settle down to what it usually is during a run.  Run up again, hard effort.  Jog down at let your HR calm down until you are maybe half way between your highest number on the hill and your usual easy HR.  Then run up 1-2 more times in a similar fashion, each time trying to go all-out, then recovering a bit after the jog down.  Your highest recorded HR is your max, or something close to it.  

Other heart rate tests ... Ack!  I can't find the page anymore!  Sorry, no link.  Basically, the idea was to similarly warm up doing whatever you do, then do step-ups on a standard stair (right foot up, left foot up, right foot down, left foot down, repeat), with 4-5 trials of 2-3 minutes, gradually working your way up to max effort/speed for the last couple 2-3 minute trials.  Highest HR recorded is close to your max.  

You can't really test HRMax while swimming because the water temp tends to keep your HR lower naturally.  Some recommend using a "swimming max hr" and having swimming HR zones that are different and separate form your out-of-water HR zones.   

Treadmills? You can both run at your own pace and still run Ă¢â‚¬Å“together.Ă¢â‚¬

Dh runs faster than me by a couple of minutes per mile, but he and I still run together outside. Treadmills mean we can run our own paces. In my dhĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s case, I think running with me has helped him get faster as heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s run lots of miles at a slower pace than he would by himself. If the disparity is too high then obviously that wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t work, but then thereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s always treadmills if one has access to something like that.

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t use max heart rate to calculate my heart rate zones, but lactate threshold pace. My Garmin has helped me identify both (and my recorded max hr is higher than the age calculated one). Matt FitzgeraldĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s book Ă¢â‚¬Å“80/20 RunningĂ¢â‚¬ has instructions to figure out your LTHR sans watch.

Slow is always subjective. I still feel slow even though IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve cut 21 minutes off my half marathon time. Since I am absolutely a back of the pack runner, I am indeed slow by that measure, but I still beat the me of 2015. And even if I donĂ¢â‚¬Ëœt drastically improve my time, there are other measures that I can use to show improvement - like being able to run a certain pace (or distace) with greater ease than before or for longer before my mental game has to step up. I still hate the treadmill (itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s too easy for me to run too fast and end up injured on the treadmill), but the windchill and an upcoming half marathon has me running inside. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m finding it easier to run long distances on the treadmill than I did the last time I tried.

I've got 80/20 and really enjoyed it, but the LTHR vs MaxHR vs vDOT (Jack Daniel's version) vs Maffetone vs...  Ugh, I just figured going off a max hr test would be easiest.   :lol:  I do like his effort tests (If you're running in the pre-dawn hours in Switzerland and come across someone muttering the American Pledge of Allegiance... that's me!)

I am going on a low carb/diabetic diet to reduce blood sugar and stress on my pancreas, so I'm hoping I'll lose some weight from that. We also now have my thyroid levels back up to a range where it might be possible to lose weight again.

There is a moratorium on high carb snack foods, candy, ice cream, etc coming into the house after Jan 1. I will be working out 2-3 times a week while my daughter is in cheer practice (the new gym owners let us bring in our DVDs, yoga mats, and hand weights and work out in the room that is used to review training videos. (we started that last season, but December got away from us, between a competition and then the room we use to workout being used for parties almost every practice session, but until then, we were doing really well. It's much easier with other people doing it with you, especially when we're all over 40) and DH and I plan to walk regularly as well.

I'm also going to try to find a place near or on campus to meet my tutoring students that has wifi and we can talk, but doesn't have food. We met at McDonalds and Starbucks a lot last year, which isn't good for the waistline, blood sugar levels, or budget.

I've ordered a fitness tracker and a glucose monitor that both sync to apple health. I also have a blood pressure monitor, although I'll have to add those readings manually. I like graphs :)

• Like 4

I don't know what Tracey Anderson's is, I will have to google.

I know what you mean about time to prep.  I just spent about an hour in my kitchen rearranging so that all my diet stuff was in ONE place on two shelves.....no one else is allowed to touch it.  They don't want to, so it isn't an issue, but i don't want them putting their stuff on my shelves either, then it gets cluttered and I can't find my stuff.

Our treadmill just died.  We have a nordictrack old style ski machine, weights, a mini-trampoline, and a few DVDs to do though, and I know I can do Leslie Sandstone on Youtube.

I really don't want to buy anything else right now......

Tracey Anderson is a mix of dance (cardio) and arm, leg, and ab exercises that you do daily. I actually don't like the cardio that much, so I use the Leslie Sansone 4 mile cardio instead. But the TA exercise is pretty easy and it WORKS. I've never loved my body so much. And as I said, I kept it for several years before completely going off the rails and getting soft again, sigh. It's a lot of work and you're pretty sore for the first week or so, but you see results pretty darn quick, which is something that helps keep me motivated.

I'm hoping to set aside some time each weekend to do food prep so that each day I can put meals together somewhat quickly. Organization will be key!

• Like 2

t. I am considering allowing myself a "free day" (perhaps Saturdays) where I am not so rigid. I have had a friend who has used this approach for years, and she looks great! She has a lot of self-discipline during the week, but eats pretty much whatever she wants (French fries, dessert, etc) on her free day.

I'd just encourage anyone to run the calorie numbers on this before trying it because when I did the numbers my free day would have made the week a wash.  I took my daily deficit x 6 and discovered I could easily mindlessly eat that on the free day & either neutralize all the deficit of the week or actually eat MORE and end up gaining weight.....  -> 6 days of deprivation for nothing.

I'm actually pretty sure this is partly the source of many people saying 'diet didn't work for me'. 

But then I'm now of the mind that we should stop thinking about it being a diet you go on & off of. Eat how you want to eat for the rest of your life, and control portions to change the numbers on the scale. Don't try stuff for a few months & assume you can go back. I think there is no going back. It's for the rest of your life.....

• Like 8

I think I need a lifestyle reset to be more active in general. I want to play with my kids more; baseball, football, soccer...and take them on nature walks, hiking or walks to the park. I want to take them to the zoo, the beach and fun places we can spend the day walking around. I plan on eating more salad and vegetables, cooking more at home and eating out less. I plan on drinking more water and tea and drinking less soda. I want to do more juicing and green smoothies too. 

• Like 1

I am going on a low carb/diabetic diet to reduce blood sugar and stress on my pancreas, so I'm hoping I'll lose some weight from that. We also now have my thyroid levels back up to a range where it might be possible to lose weight again.

There is a moratorium on high carb snack foods, candy, ice cream, etc coming into the house after Jan 1. I will be working out 2-3 times a week while my daughter is in cheer practice (the new gym owners let us bring in our DVDs, yoga mats, and hand weights and work out in the room that is used to review training videos. (we started that last season, but December got away from us, between a competition and then the room we use to workout being used for parties almost every practice session, but until then, we were doing really well. It's much easier with other people doing it with you, especially when we're all over 40) and DH and I plan to walk regularly as well.

I'm also going to try to find a place near or on campus to meet my tutoring students that has wifi and we can talk, but doesn't have food. We met at McDonalds and Starbucks a lot last year, which isn't good for the waistline, blood sugar levels, or budget.

I've ordered a fitness tracker and a glucose monitor that both sync to apple health. I also have a blood pressure monitor, although I'll have to add those readings manually. I like graphs :)

This wasn't as difficult to do as I thought it would be. I just stopped buying junk.  They whined (especially DH) for a couple weeks but that was it.  We still occasionally (2-3 times per year) buy ice cream or I'll make a cake for birthdays but that's it on the sweet stuff.  Salty has been a bit harder.  We still usually have a bag of chips in the house at all times, I just stopped eating them or replaced the kids chips with popcorn, which I don't like, so no temptations for me.  Now I can't even imagine eating a little debbie snack cake and I can't eat more than a couple bites of ice cream, way to sweet.

I'd just encourage anyone to run the calorie numbers on this before trying it because when I did the numbers my free day would have made the week a wash. I took my daily deficit x 6 and discovered I could easily mindlessly eat that on the free day & either neutralize all the deficit of the week or actually eat MORE and end up gaining weight..... -> 6 days of deprivation for nothing.

I'm actually pretty sure this is partly the source of many people saying 'diet didn't work for me'.

But then I'm now of the mind that we should stop thinking about it being a diet you go on & off of. Eat how you want to eat for the rest of your life, and control portions to change the numbers on the scale. Don't try stuff for a few months & assume you can go back. I think there is no going back. It's for the rest of your life.....

I agree with you. It definitely has to be a lifestyle change. But, a lifestyle of never having a splurge of any kind is a recipe for repeated trips off and on the diet yo-yo.

I think so much of this is the proper mindset. I have a cousin who is morbidly obese. She lost 150 lbs several years ago - half her weight. She gained it all back and then some. She's 330 now and 5'3" tall. Diabetic. She has struggled with her weight her whole life, but I believe she has an unhealthy relationship with food. Whether it's called a "diet" or "lifestyle change" she views any kind of restrictions about food as punishment. Her husband retired and gained some weight, too. He was having cholesterol issues and was pre-diabetic. That was enough to scare him straight, and he lost 75 lbs last year, simply by eliminating sugar and alcohol and lowering carbs. I know it's easier for men than women to lose weight, but the fact is that he has self-discipline while my cousin does not. The same is true with a "free day." It can't be free-for-all free day, kwim?

I think there are often deeper/over arching psychologicsl and emotional issues that play into how one eats. I think my cousin could benefit from some therapy.

• Like 2

I'm continuing with Weight Watchers.  I joined in May and have lost 24lbs so far.  It is very slow going for me but it is working.  About 25 more to go.  I'm also working out, walking dogs, zumba, treadmill, Curves weights, etc.  Just being more active but not over the top since I want a lifestyle I can continue once I meet goal weight.  I've gone down 2 pants sizes and from XL/XXL to L on top and not so fluffy looking now.  Feeling much much better as well. 

• Like 3

I've got some baby weight to lose once I'm out of the immediate post-partum period, probably 20-30 pounds. I really like the no-s diet (no sweets, no seconds, no snacks). It's just so practical and easy to continue long term. I lost weight with it awhile back. I think that what really works about the method is that you're forced to see all that you're eating in one huge pile because of the no seconds rule coupled with no snacks. When I first started I would heap my plate so full because I knew that I had to sustain myself until the next meal. It was embarrassing. I pretty quickly started cutting it down my portions a little at a time just because I could see how crazy it was. Sometime I do cheat with the snacks but I always try to visualize adding that snack to one of the meals of the day. Alternatively, I decrease the meal anticipating a snack a bit later. It works pretty well for me.

• Like 2

Lots of changes in the past few months with my job (outside of homeschooling my 3 kiddos) and some out side of family, friend stress so would love accountability and reading everyone's ideas for 2018 has kicked my butt into gear, THANK YOU!

1. Back to Counting Calories --- but with a twist instead of losing 20 lbs in 3-6 months, I am going to go for 10 months = Slow and Steady. I need to build in the habit of counting calories which I haven't for about 2.5 years. I also want to be Carb Conscious so I have decided to reactive my old spark people account with the app on my phone :) I hope in a few months I am consistently staying in my calorie and carb daily range!

2. Focus on Feeling Energized/Moment  & Not Exercising. -- The last few years, my whole week was structured around when I was going to go to the gym, but with some office changes I decided to drop my gym membership. I also found that going to the gym and focusing so much on exercising became a negative in my life, like I was just checking off a box. I lost no more then 5 lbs the whole year because my eating was all over the place.  So I want to focus on FEELING good and doing movement in everyday life...when I take my youngest to the library, don't rush home after picking books out, take a stroll around the pond with him or play ping pong at the rec center or going hiking with my teens instead of sending them with their dad and trying to catch up on laundry or work. I know a lot of this one will be ME having a different mindset and being Intentional (which is my word for 2018). 

3. Drink more WATER --- I have been a big water drinker forever but the last 2 years it's gone to the wayside. I want to get back to carrying my water bottle around with me while doing housework, homeschooling, and computer work. Drinking as much water as I can during the day!

• Like 1

Not sure if this counts since I'm looking to maintain, don't need to lose more, but just in case.....  I went vegan in August and within weeks dropped all the weight I'd been trying to lose for years.  So I'm sticking with it!  I follow Dr. Gregor's "daily dozen" checklist (except that I can't eat nuts because they trigger migraines for me):  https://nutritionfacts.org/video/dr-gregers-daily-dozen-checklist/

I got his book for Christmas and have been wading through it and I am waiting on his cookbook to come in the mail. I'm glad to hear it has worked for you! I'm hoping to slowly transition to an *almost* vegan lifestyle. My DH is a committed carnivore, so it will depend on how good the recipes taste and his cooperation. He's skeptical and willing to try some vegan meals but is very much opposed at this point to going vegetarian or vegan. I'm breastfeeding so I don't want to do anything too quickly and will probably keep some animal products in my diet until Baby is weaned. My plan right now is to eat up what we have in the kitchen and then gradually quit buying meat. 

I don't want to lose weight but I'm hoping to help my family's health. DH could stand to lose some weight but more than that, his family is predisposed to high cholesterol, diabetes, and heart disease which I'm hoping to help in him and prevent in the kids. I figure any increase in the daily dozen foods is better than nothing. My cholesterol and blood pressure are already very low so I'm a little concerned that they could get too low with Dr Gregor's type of diet. Has anyone heard of problems related to that? For myself, I'm hoping to gain energy and protect my future health. 

I also am going to try to walk the dog at least once a day and have the kids walk her once (she needs to lose weight too) and I'm hoping to use our treadmill and weights at least 3x a week. I used to work out often but I was so, so, tired when my thyroid went wonky and then when I was pregnant that I haven't done anything in a year and probably not consistently for several years. I am weak and my family is predisposed to osteoporosis so weight training needs to be part of my routine. 

I think I'll try that app suggested up thread. I need accountability. What motivates me is innate stubbornness and having people to face who would be disappointed. 

• Like 1

I got his book for Christmas and have been wading through it and I am waiting on his cookbook to come in the mail. I'm glad to hear it has worked for you! I'm hoping to slowly transition to an *almost* vegan lifestyle. My DH is a committed carnivore, so it will depend on how good the recipes taste and his cooperation. He's skeptical and willing to try some vegan meals but is very much opposed at this point to going vegetarian or vegan. I'm breastfeeding so I don't want to do anything too quickly and will probably keep some animal products in my diet until Baby is weaned. My plan right now is to eat up what we have in the kitchen and then gradually quit buying meat. 

I don't want to lose weight but I'm hoping to help my family's health. DH could stand to lose some weight but more than that, his family is predisposed to high cholesterol, diabetes, and heart disease which I'm hoping to help in him and prevent in the kids. I figure any increase in the daily dozen foods is better than nothing. My cholesterol and blood pressure are already very low so I'm a little concerned that they could get too low with Dr Gregor's type of diet. Has anyone heard of problems related to that? For myself, I'm hoping to gain energy and protect my future health. 

I also am going to try to walk the dog at least once a day and have the kids walk her once (she needs to lose weight too) and I'm hoping to use our treadmill and weights at least 3x a week. I used to work out often but I was so, so, tired when my thyroid went wonky and then when I was pregnant that I haven't done anything in a year and probably not consistently for several years. I am weak and my family is predisposed to osteoporosis so weight training needs to be part of my routine. 

I think I'll try that app suggested up thread. I need accountability. What motivates me is innate stubbornness and having people to face who would be disappointed. 

My husband is also a total carnivore, so that does make things a bit tricky.  At first, I got him to agree to one night per week of a vegan meal ("meatless Mondays").  The rest of the time, I make my vegan "main course" and it serves as a side dish for him, and I make his meat separately.  Then he asked me to increase it to two vegan dinners per week.  Then he asked me to increase it to three vegan dinners per week!  And he said he wants vegetarian, though not vegan, breakfasts from now on.  All of this was his idea.  So I guess the food works its own magic.  :D  My husband is an avid environmentalist, though, so he is in large part motivated by that.

I'm not sure anyone has ever found a lower limit to healthy cholesterol levels, so I doubt you need to worry about that.  Blood pressure of course is a different matter.  Mine is lower now than it was before (and it was perfectly normal low-ish before) at 90/50.  I haven't had any trouble with it at that level.  Is yours already that low or lower?  You could always keep more salt on the menu than what Dr. Gregor recommends, if so.

• Like 2

the fact is that he has self-discipline while my cousin does not. 

This is the crap we are talking about. They have tested people's will power in all areas of life and it does not correlate to success with dieting. Did you ever stop to think that it isn't that she has more willpower, but that she has more complex biological issues going on, due to her longer struggle with obesity and the fact that she lost and then regained? No, it's just blame the person and their "will power". 

• Like 7

. My cholesterol and blood pressure are already very low so I'm a little concerned that they could get too low with Dr Gregor's type of diet. Has anyone heard of problems related to that? For myself, I'm hoping to gain energy and protect my future health. 

I have low bp. I've never heard of it being a problem really - other than being prone to fainting. Cholesterol is produced by your own body. Unless you have a pathological condition which prevents adequate production, I don't know of any reasons why low #s are bad. Is it off the charts low or just on the low end of low? hdl and ldl and the ratios? 

fwiw, the only thing I'd suggest is making sure you're getting enough efa's.  There aren't tons of vegan efa's but I found one I'm happy with. I use Opti3 (it's in the picture of that blog post; I order it from the UK) but have also used Ovega which is avail on amazon. 

Can you get your dh to watch Forks Over Knives? 

as far as accountability - I got my fitbit set up last night & omg, I'm already getting competitive about getting the little icons to change color & see my progress bars. You can also friend people on it & challenge each other. 

This is the crap we are talking about. They have tested people's will power in all areas of life and it does not correlate to success with dieting. Did you ever stop to think that it isn't that she has more willpower, but that she has more complex biological issues going on, due to her longer struggle with obesity and the fact that she lost and then regained? No, it's just blame the person and their "will power". 

On the flip side: I think the reason some of us wrestle with this is that we feel we don't get credit for how hard it's been for us & our friends and family who persevered. It's like the successes we've had are just brushed off.  Like ours must not have been biological or ours was easy or something. 

I guess there's just no easy way to have these conversations.  Someone always end up hurt.

Quill, dear - is it just me or are you not the poster who swore off weight loss discussions for a while? I know someone had it in their sig line for a while because I remember thinking I totally should follow their example....

• Like 7

On the flip side: I think the reason some of us wrestle with this is that we feel we don't get credit for how hard it's been for us & our friends and family who persevered. It's like the successes we've had are just brushed off.  Like ours must not have been biological or ours was easy or something. 

I guess there's just no easy way to have these conversations.  Someone always end up hurt.

Quill, dear - is it just me or are you not the poster who swore off weight loss discussions for a while? I know someone had it in their sig line for a while because I remember thinking I totally should follow their example....

I don't know anyone who is obese who thinks that about someone who has been successful. I think, "Wow! I know how hard that is, and they managed to do it! They are amazing!"

I wasn't saying it was EASY for anyone to lose weight. But that for some, it is harder than for others. Perhaps that clarifies it? 

I mean, climbing a mountain isn't easy for anyone, but it is harder for some than others (short legs, bad knee, whatever). That doesn't make climbing mount Everest EASY or unworthy of praise and admiration, just because some didn't manage to do it. It's exactly the opposite. 

• Like 4

My husband is also a total carnivore, so that does make things a bit tricky.  At first, I got him to agree to one night per week of a vegan meal ("meatless Mondays").  The rest of the time, I make my vegan "main course" and it serves as a side dish for him, and I make his meat separately.  Then he asked me to increase it to two vegan dinners per week.  Then he asked me to increase it to three vegan dinners per week!  And he said he wants vegetarian, though not vegan, breakfasts from now on.  All of this was his idea.  So I guess the food works its own magic.   :D  My husband is an avid environmentalist, though, so he is in large part motivated by that.

I'm not sure anyone has ever found a lower limit to healthy cholesterol levels, so I doubt you need to worry about that.  Blood pressure of course is a different matter.  Mine is lower now than it was before (and it was perfectly normal low-ish before) at 90/50.  I haven't had any trouble with it at that level.  Is yours already that low or lower?  You could always keep more salt on the menu than what Dr. Gregor recommends, if so.

That's so encouraging! I hope my DH will react similarly. 

My blood pressure has been about 90-100/50-60 for years. It's not usually a problem but I wouldn't want it lower.

I have low bp. I've never heard of it being a problem really - other than being prone to fainting. Cholesterol is produced by your own body. Unless you have a pathological condition which prevents adequate production, I don't know of any reasons why low #s are bad. Is it off the charts low or just on the low end of low? hdl and ldl and the ratios? 

fwiw, the only thing I'd suggest is making sure you're getting enough efa's.  There aren't tons of vegan efa's but I found one I'm happy with. I use Opti3 (it's in the picture of that blog post; I order it from the UK) but have also used Ovega which is avail on amazon. 

Can you get your dh to watch Forks Over Knives? 

as far as accountability - I got my fitbit set up last night & omg, I'm already getting competitive about getting the little icons to change color & see my progress bars. You can also friend people on it & challenge each other. 

DH won't watch or read anything like that. He prefers me to do it and give him the summary! 

My cholesterol is low enough already to be classified as "very low."  It is correlated with some bad things: 

"Although the risks are rare, very low levels of LDL cholesterol may be associated with an increased risk of:

• Cancer
  • Hemorrhagic stroke
  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Preterm birth and low birth weight if your cholesterol is low while you're pregnant"
  • Like 1

Eh, willpower is highly overrated. Far better, imo, to find a way to do it that doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t require willpower. I only have so many forks to give in life, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not using up forks on trying to muscle my way to weight loss.

EveryoneĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s experience is going to be different. If the National Weight Control Registry has not identified the one diet to rule them all, then there is none. I think at some point you have to give up the comparisons. For me it came down to giving up on Ă¢â‚¬Å“the wayĂ¢â‚¬ when Ă¢â‚¬Å“the wayĂ¢â‚¬ clearly didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t work for me. So then it became a search for Ă¢â‚¬Å“my wayĂ¢â‚¬ which is boring and sells no books. If I eat the Ă¢â‚¬Å“wrongĂ¢â‚¬ way according to popular wisdom and am successful, does it really matter what other people say?

And it also required I was honest with myself about what actually worked. Is it really working if I have to expend a bunch of willpower or is difficult to maintain when life is busy or IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m under a lot of stress? And if not, then letĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s try something new. And trying something new does not mean I am a failure, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s just another step down the road of Ă¢â‚¬Å“my wayĂ¢â‚¬ which is n=1 and specific to me. Reminding myself that n=1 takes some of the value judgement out of it. Ă¢â‚¬Å“Huh, glad it worked for you.Ă¢â‚¬ Sometimes there might be some things that I can apply to me, but a whole bunch of stuff just plain wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t.

I get that itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s challenging and an emotional undertaking. ThereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s far too much value and worth placed on the number on a scale than the broader view of what it means to be healthy. You live in your body, no one else does. You know what works, and what doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t. Celebrate the crap out of the progress you have made. I mean, your body has carried you through so many amazing accomplishments already!

This body of mine isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t as lean as I might like and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve got jiggly bits and loose skin that I always see in race photos. I bet there are people who judge me for it. You know what? Fork them. This body of mine does amazing things. Every day things. Hard things. Imma keep on keeping on.

• Like 5

I agree with you. It definitely has to be a lifestyle change. But, a lifestyle of never having a splurge of any kind is a recipe for repeated trips off and on the diet yo-yo.

I think so much of this is the proper mindset. I have a cousin who is morbidly obese. She lost 150 lbs several years ago - half her weight. She gained it all back and then some. She's 330 now and 5'3" tall. Diabetic. She has struggled with her weight her whole life, but I believe she has an unhealthy relationship with food. Whether it's called a "diet" or "lifestyle change" she views any kind of restrictions about food as punishment.

Sigh, so do I!

Her husband retired and gained some weight, too. He was having cholesterol issues and was pre-diabetic. That was enough to scare him straight, and he lost 75 lbs last year, simply by eliminating sugar and alcohol and lowering carbs. I know it's easier for men than women to lose weight, but the fact is that he has self-discipline while my cousin does not.

And yet, I can be on the same diet as others and not lose.....there is some metabolism issue, or other issues oftentimes.

The same is true with a "free day." It can't be free-for-all free day, kwim?

True

I think there are often deeper/over arching psychologicsl and emotional issues that play into how one eats. I think my cousin could benefit from some therapy.

Maybe, or maybe she needs help in other ways.

I think I just want to focus on ME and why I am not losing weight.  I can't speculate on why others aren't.

• Like 1

I apologize. It wasn't my intention to offend or hurt anyone's feelings.

I'm having bariatric surgery in January. My goal is to avoid diabetes (I have pcos, had two GD pregnancies, and have been flirting with prediabetes since my last child). I'd also love to be sub 25% body fat.

I plan to follow a low carb diet post-surgery, and hope to get back to pole dancing (for fitness) once I get my weight down. I need to drink at least 64 oz. of water and eat at least 75 grams of protein per day. I'd like to keep my carbs around 20-25 grams and exercise 5 days per week.

• Like 3

I'm having bariatric surgery in January. My goal is to avoid diabetes (I have pcos, had two GD pregnancies, and have been flirting with prediabetes since my last child). I'd also love to be sub 25% body fat.

I plan to follow a low carb diet post-surgery, and hope to get back to pole dancing (for fitness) once I get my weight down. I need to drink at least 64 oz. of water and eat at least 75 grams of protein per day. I'd like to keep my carbs around 20-25 grams and exercise 5 days per week.

Best of luck!!!! My best advice is to maximize those early months post op!

Feel free to hit me up along the way if you have questions. I still say it is the best thing I ever did for myself. 

• Like 1

Best of luck!!!! My best advice is to maximize those early months post op!

Feel free to hit me up along the way if you have questions. I still say it is the best thing I ever did for myself.

Thank you!!

It's so hard to know what diet to follow because they all say different things. My surgeon follows a traditional low fat bariatric plan, but I think LCHF is more sustainable long term. Not sure if my new tummy will be able to eat high fat, though. So, I'm just going to try to focus on water, protein, carbs, and exercise.

Edited by SeaConquest

Thank you!!

It's so hard to know what diet to follow because they all say different things. My surgeon follows a traditional low fat bariatric plan, but I think LCHF is more sustainable long term. Not sure if my new tummy will be able to eat high fat, though. So, I'm just going to try to focus on water, protein, carbs, and exercise.

Moderate fat seems to be most practical. So using real butter and cheese but not massive amounts. Too much definitely can cause issue. Which sx are you having?

Tracey Anderson is a mix of dance (cardio) and arm, leg, and ab exercises that you do daily. I actually don't like the cardio that much, so I use the Leslie Sansone 4 mile cardio instead. But the TA exercise is pretty easy and it WORKS. I've never loved my body so much. And as I said, I kept it for several years before completely going off the rails and getting soft again, sigh. It's a lot of work and you're pretty sore for the first week or so, but you see results pretty darn quick, which is something that helps keep me motivated.

I'm hoping to set aside some time each weekend to do food prep so that each day I can put meals together somewhat quickly. Organization will be key!

I saw several by her when I looked on Amazon. Which do you recommend?

TIA!

YouĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re one of the first people IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve Ă¢â‚¬ËœmetĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ who has heard of Dr Wahl! Her way of eating is something IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d really love to aspire to, especially once I have a bit of weight off. I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t really lose that way but itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s so nourishing and healing in other ways, even if it doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t really shed pounds for me. 42 pounds off is awesome!

Really, all of you ladies who are losing or near goal are great. Bravo! And it is encouraging to hear :). I have to give props to Alicia as well, because her podcast recommendation on another thread (I think?) was just the thing I needed tonight. :grouphug:

What was the podcast? I need all the motivation I can get!

SaveSave

The Life Coach one with Brooke Castillo. I downloaded the first ten episodes yesterday and began listening, and though IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m no big fan of psychology as a field she is fantastic and practical. It was already super helpful, even with just a twenty minute listen. Thanks again Alicia!

Linking that thread.