Menu

What are you planning to do to lose weight in 2018

DawnM

I was doing some of this already, but had to stop kick-boxing for December because I had bronchitis, and I'm very weak with all the sugar around right now.

I plan to:

1) go to kick-boxing 2-3 times a week

2) where my Fitbit so I can see how many steps I get just teaching my classes and add walks to make sure I hit 8000 daily

3) start doing Tai-Chi, or yoga at home on the days I don't do kick-boxing

4) add walks and even light jogging when the weather gets nice

5) cut out sugar and start eating better again - mostly whole foods, drinking lots of water, lots of vegetables

I'm hoping this will all lead to some weight loss, but if it doesn't I'm okay with that.  I'm going for healthier rather than thinner.

• Like 1

I had to pay a normal copay for each dr. Visit and I had 5 of those. Then it was 140.00 initial meeting with dietician and exercise guru. Finally of the 16 week required for the program I paid the copay for,the dr week and 25.00 for the class the other three weeks of a month. After I completed 16 weeks and as long as I attend 12 sessions a year, ideally at least one a month, group is free. It is run by one of the therapists. They donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t push anything unless you are surgical. It is an awesome clinic and they are trying to change the world of bariatrics.

Did the 16 week session group have a name?  Wondering if I can see if there is something similar here.

I think you can easily eat out (order off a menu) with THM, but eating at someone else's house is a different experience.

The last time I went to someone's house, she had pizza, sugar cookies, and a veggie plate. The only thing I could eat with THM would have been the veggie plate. I don't want to have to pre-eat and then skip dinner. Or, three weeks ago, a friend had me over while my husband was traveling and served lasagna and salad. These things I can eat in moderation with WW but are completely off-plan (white flour) with THM.

Or, my dietitian friend has coffee breaks at her house and bakes for them. With WW I can have maybe half a piece of pound cake if I feel like it. With THM every.single.thing she bakes is off plan.

A s'more (we have s'mores nights at our house) with WW might look like one s'more with no covering. THM puts them out of limits.

Finally, THM recommends various artificial sweeteners that give me gas. And I love bread. THM cuts it out entirely. WW puts it in a reasonable place.

I think THM might work in a community where many women follow the plan. Where I live, most women are actually quite thin and don't diet (the blessing of city life requiring a lot of walking).

Emily

I struggle with a lot of these same things even though THM does work quite well for me when I can stick with it. In your examples, the sister reccomend eating lots of salad and veggies and a small to normal size serving of the main dish. Yes it's off plan but those occasional slip ups don't seem to affect most women. If it's daily it's a problem but not just the occasional meals at a friends house. The point is to make most of your meals slimming meals and then the rest don't matter so dramtically. I found that to be true but it is still extremely hard to give up white flour and breads. I'm currently totally off plan and loving bread Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€™

• Like 1

Did the 16 week session group have a name? Wondering if I can see if there is something similar here.

Medical weight loss program?

The clinic is strictly a bariatric clinic. It offeres surgery or two medical programs. Very low calorie or slim and trim. I am doing the slim and trim.

I understand a local hospital started this medical weight loss program, gave it up,and a local medical weight loss clinic took over.

I've gained a few pounds the last couple of months because I've been really slack in what I've allowed myself to eat. I'm going back to what I did almost 4 years ago when I lost 30 pounds. I've kept over 20 of it off consistently since then. I originally did it because my a1c was 5.7. I didn't want it to keep inching up, and this past August is was still normal at 5.2 

Here is what I did:

20-25 carbs or less at 3 meals a day

one snack mid-afternoon, lower carb

protein at every meal and snack

ate more nuts, peanut butter because I can't have dairy 

I avoided sugar, potatoes, rice, pasta, and bread, but I would eat very small amounts. For example, I love hamburgers and hotdogs with white flour buns, so I would eat only half the bun. 

After I lost down to where I wanted, I ate more carbs, but would offset in other meals. For example, if I knew I was going to eat a higher carb lunch or dinner, I would do no carbs at breakfast. 

One thing I quit doing was drinking sugar and eating much sugar. I've allowed myself to eat more sugar the last couple of months, thus the weight gain. I'll go back to maybe a small treat with sugar just here and there, a couple of times a week. 

I also drink 2 cups of water when I first wake up. It's one thing I've consistently done since I started the diet . I have no idea if it helped with weight loss. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

*I already cut out the majority of crap from my diet back in April 2015 when I was diagnosed with diabetes. My end goal is to get off the meds and live life normally, weighing less will accomplish that.  While I eat pretty healthy I still overeat and I've continued to gain weight, not a lot but enough that I absolutely have to stop it NOW.

I've been giving WW (freestyle) a try for the last few weeks and it is not working.  Not nearly enough points (23 versus the 30 from before plus weekly). I mean if you eat a lot of meat (we don't) or beans (I have FODMAPS issues) or eggs (again gastro-intestinal issues with those) then sure 23 pts might be enough.  I do like corn and potatoes (now free on freestyle) but I like them way to much and if they are free I will definitely overeat them daily.  So instead I'm going to try to use itrackbites with 30 points daily.  I thought about doing simply filling but I don't think I can keep within the 2 tsp of fats (avocado oil) limit.  I know there are  weekly points but those are for my barely sweetened tea for which would use every one of them.

Although I did recently discover Splenda.  Yes, I know it's been around for 20 years but I had never tried it.  I lumped it in with equal & sweet and low as toxic (to me, headaches and nausea).  I tried stevia years ago and it's just gross so I'd always assumed Splenda would be the same.... It's not great, I mean it's not real sugar and there is a weird taste but I can deal with it.

We're moving end of February to an apartment complex with a very nice 24 hour gym that I can't wait to use.  I had a membership at PF for a while and LOVED the working out but hated having to drive through our crazy traffic and then wait around for machines.  So I'm looking forward to having a state of the art gym mostly to myself (plus a saltwater pool in the summer.... (probably won't be mostly to myself, lol).

I'm setting a realistic goal of 15-20 pounds before June 2018 and hopefully 50 pounds total by June 2019.  

ETA: We also bought an Air Fryer as our family Christmas gift.  That way the whole family will stop eating deep fried food and they won't have to deal with me staring at them as they eat french fries.  

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

Here is something I posted in the past about what I actually ate. From this I remember that I upped my cinnamon intake, too. 

Breakfast:

1-2 eggs, fried or scrambled, 1 piece of whole wheat toast (lowest carb I can find) with margarine (use non-dairy versions) and cinnamon

Special K Protein Cereal with unsweetened almond milk (lowest carb cereal I could find)

Protein/Green Smoothies (use vegan protein powder)

oatmeal with alternative sweeteners, cinnamon, pecans

coconut flour or almond flour pancakes or muffins

Lunch:

wraps made with Xtreme Wellness Hi-Fiber (5 net carbs) and a variety of fillings

quesadillas made with the same wraps (use a non-dairy cheese)

homemade chicken or tuna salad

big salads

Snacks/drinks:

nuts

apple slices (1/2 with peanut or almond butter and 1/2 with cinnamon)

coffee with sugar free creamers

herbal teas with stevia sweeteners

homemade chai lattes (chai tea with soy creamer)

Dinners:

usually tried to eat what the family was having and just skip any starchy side

• Like 2

I think you can easily eat out (order off a menu) with THM, but eating at someone else's house is a different experience.

The last time I went to someone's house, she had pizza, sugar cookies, and a veggie plate. The only thing I could eat with THM would have been the veggie plate. I don't want to have to pre-eat and then skip dinner. Or, three weeks ago, a friend had me over while my husband was traveling and served lasagna and salad. These things I can eat in moderation with WW but are completely off-plan (white flour) with THM.

Or, my dietitian friend has coffee breaks at her house and bakes for them. With WW I can have maybe half a piece of pound cake if I feel like it. With THM every.single.thing she bakes is off plan.

Emily

In these situations- and others Yes they are "off plan" with THM, but you simply eat moderately (I'm guessing similar to weight watchers) and then get back on track your next meal. No biggie.

For me, keeping track of everything and measuring everything is harder than THM. THM is not a free for all though with no effort. It does take a learning curve just like any other program. I'm all for whatever works for you- so I'm not in any way saying THM is the only way or for you. Just stating how I deal with those situations. I do have the luxury of having several others in my circle doing this- most have which are at goal weight now and just eating for health instead of weight kids and I admit that makes it easier.

wow. And you have no blood sugar issues on the days you don't eat, and are not grumpy with hunger? Remarkable. I can't even imagine - I'd probably faint midday Monday at work.

No blood sugar issues at all and I feel great when I'm fasting. I have way more energy and just generally feel better on fasting days. I work out hard at the gym, I run, no problems. And very little hunger. 

I am really pleased with two 48's. I used to try and do three and four day fasts - 4 days is super hard for me, but I could handle three day fasts. 48's seem easy in comparison. There's only one day with zero food and then the next day I know I'm eating at dinner, so it's easy to get through the day. I like having set routines and the 48's fit well with my weekly routine.

It did take a while to get to this place though. I started intermittent fasting in May 2016 - I limited myself to an 8 hour eating window. Then I started experimenting with longer fasts once in a while. 

• Like 2

I have about 20lbs I want to lose and it would be super easy if I just stayed home as a pound or two comes off easily per week with no "extra" needed beyond what I regularly do (which is not eat much and mostly eating healthy coupled with walking 4-5 miles daily).

However, I anticipate continuing travel to relatives and for fun... so I'm not sure.  I've gained 4 lbs just this past week (sigh).

Regentrude -

When youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re lower carb fasting tolerance is often very much improved. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s too tough on my adrenals to go full day fasts but 18-ish hours can be pretty comfortable, even for me :)

Yep. I can go long periods of time without eating if I'm low carb.  If not..I'm starved every few hours (which is annoying as heck).

I love what someone pointed out in Scarlett's Dss thread, the key components of healthy weight loss being, in this order:

(1) healthy eating habits

(2) quality sleep

(3) sufficient exercise

I am going to start evaluating how I'm doing in each of those areas, in that order.

I need a swift cold-turkey break from sugar. I need to get things out of my diet that I know give me trouble (for example, liquid dairy = swift onset of congestion, too much coffee = reflux issues). I would like to work towards a full Mediterranean/MIND way of eating, with room for occasional exceptions.

I believe cleaning up my diet will be helpful with the second component, but in addition I'll need to follow some new guidelines for myself about sleep/wake times and particularly the timely use of lighted screen devices. Probably time for a new pillow, too. Maybe some comfy new jammies.

I love the idea of focusing on diet and sleep first, because that way I can give myself permission to slowly build back into a more demanding exercise routine (instead of jumping in vigorously hoping the weight will fly off - which would be the surest way for me to injure myself and send the whole effort into crash & burn).. I have lost strength over the past few years for a number of reasons and I am alarmed that I will not be fit this year for fully enjoying the somewhat strenuous outdoor activities I like. However, I feel good (with this 3-tiered focus) about keeping things simple for now, with mostly walking and yoga. I will plan to add weight training as I feel more fit, but for the time being I will concentrate on regularity of schedule and habit formation.

I am actually looking forward to this very much.

• Like 3

I joined the new Weight Watcher Freestyle program last week but am not sure I'll continue after the three month subscription is up. They say the 0 points foods are things you tend not to overeat. Obviously they've never eaten salmon, shrimp (or any other fish), clementines (Cuties, Halos), asparagus, watermelon, and a number of other foods on that list! I could easily overeat much of what's on there, including most of the high sugar fruits. Also, some perfectly healthy high protein (though also high calorie) foods are high in points. It seems a bit backwards. I liked the old points system better.

I'm currently reading The Diet Fix: Why Diets Fail and How to Make Yours Work. It was written by a bariatric doctor and recommended on the Science Based Medicine blog, whose contributors' opinions I highly respect (most are doctors or scientists).

I'm not sure if I'm going to try and combine the suggestions in the book with WW, wait until my WW subscription ends, or just drop WW altogether.

This is what IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m doing as well. Been doing WW Freestyle for 4 weeks now. Lost 3 lbs. This is slow for me, but I have Hashimotos and just got my thyroid labs back. Due for a medication adjustment. I am also noticing I get a little neurotic tracking food and/or exercise. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d ideally like a more healthy relationship with food/exercise. Considering going back to No S. I lost 25 lbs a few years ago doing it and felt great. I fell off track when I started working the weird schedule I still work. If I could get my schedule figured out, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d definitely do No S again.

• Like 1

A s'more (we have s'mores nights at our house) with WW might look like one s'more with no covering. THM puts them out of limits.

Finally, THM recommends various artificial sweeteners that give me gas. And I love bread. THM cuts it out entirely. WW puts it in a reasonable place. 

I think THM might work in a community where many women follow the plan. Where I live, most women are actually quite thin and don't diet (the blessing of city life requiring a lot of walking).

Emily

Do you eat at other people's houses often?  I usually eat out with friends.   Last week a friend had me over and served salad.  Heck, most of my friends are trying to either lose weight or be healthy, but not on THM.  But I can work around it.  Panera is a popular meeting place for many of us.

And yes, you can have bread on THM, but it does need to be a certain kind.

But if WW works for you, then great.  I wish I could get it to work for me, but it has never worked.

We have teens over a lot and the moms sometimes come too.  They can have S'mores or just coffee with fruit, I am not offended either way.  I don't particularly like S'mores though, so I can take them or leave them.

My main goal is to continue with going to the gym at least 5 days a week.  I am doing a combo of weight training and cardio.  It has helped me feel so much better even if I am not seeing great weight loss that I would like.  I have lost close to 45 pounds and maintained it for almost two years.  I can now fit into clothes that were too tight when I bought them (online) and kept until I could fit and some are even a bit loose.  Being able to be up and active is huge for me.

For diet, I plan to continue to do lower carb, but not super low carb.  I just can't maintain it, and I don't want to do super low carb long term.  I have already improved my blood glucose numbers from pre-diabetic down to normal range in the last year, so keeping that up is a huge goal of mine.  My blood sugar numbers have been pretty good lately, but it is hard to maintain because of PCOS.  I am trying to do a lot more homemade foods rather than eating processed foods.

The holidays have not been kind to my diet, but now I just have to make it through New Years Eve, and then I think I can get back on track.  I have only gained back 2 pounds since Thanksgiving, which considering my lack of self control when baking this Christmas is pretty much a miracle.

• Like 2

This is what IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m doing as well. Been doing WW Freestyle for 4 weeks now. Lost 3 lbs. This is slow for me, but I have Hashimotos and just got my thyroid labs back.

3lbs in 4 weeks is not slow for anyone. I have lost my 100+ lbs over a long period of time. I started in 2014 which means I have lost 20-30 lbs or so each year. Biggest Loser style, quick, lots of pounds at a time weight loss just isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t a sustainable way for most people. So celebrate the heck out of those 3 lbs in 4 weeks! YouĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re right on track.

• Like 10

I have a lot of weight to lose-between 80 and 100 pounds. I want to get serious about taking it off for several reasons. My plan is to eat mostly fruits and vegetables, beans, and a little meat. I will cook a normal meal of meat and two sides once a day when dh is home. When he is away at work, my dinner will be leftovers in some form.

For exercise, I walk outside if the weather cooperates, walk with Leslie Sansone inside and do leg lifts. 

What kinds of support do we have on here? It seems like I remember weekly threads?

• Like 2

I paid a personal trainer to help keep me accountable.  A trainer very close in our local rural area had a Christmas special at a very reasonable price. I have never done this before. I'm focusing on keeping active.  Food, just common sense... no junk, not too many carbs, more protein, more fruit and vegis, more whole food.

• Like 2

For diet, I plan to continue to do lower carb, but not super low carb.  I just can't maintain it, and I don't want to do super low carb long term.  I have already improved my blood glucose numbers from pre-diabetic down to normal range in the last year, so keeping that up is a huge goal of mine.  My blood sugar numbers have been pretty good lately, but it is hard to maintain because of PCOS.  I am trying to do a lot more homemade foods rather than eating processed foods.

I'm Italian-American and pasta is my comfort food. I can't stand whole wheat pasta so when I do eat it it's the good stuff (or bad stuff depending on how you view it). Fortunately I'm not big on bread, and when I do eat it I actually prefer the taste of whole grain breads. 

I know if I tried to go super low carb I'd fail, so instead my goal is to choose carbs wisely (like mostly fruits, veggies, and whole grains) and choose the refined ones rarely. Carbs are the body's fuel and are not the enemy, but they're definitely a type of food that has good and bad choices.

I know from experience that I don't succeed cutting out an entire food group. With carbs I actually do well when following the type of diet (esp. in relation to carbs) that is recommended for people with Type 2 diabetes. I don't have it and am not at risk (at least my dr. doesn't think so) but it's still a healthy way of eating.

• Like 1

*I already cut out the majority of crap from my diet back in April 2015 when I was diagnosed with diabetes. My end goal is to get off the meds and live life normally, weighing less will accomplish that. While I eat pretty healthy I still overeat and I've continued to gain weight, not a lot but enough that I absolutely have to stop it NOW.

I've been giving WW (freestyle) a try for the last few weeks and it is not working. Not nearly enough points (23 versus the 30 from before plus weekly). I mean if you eat a lot of meat (we don't) or beans (I have FODMAPS issues) or eggs (again gastro-intestinal issues with those) then sure 23 pts might be enough. I do like corn and potatoes (now free on freestyle) but I like them way to much and if they are free I will definitely overeat them daily. So instead I'm going to try to use itrackbites with 30 points daily. I thought about doing simply filling but I don't think I can keep within the 2 tsp of fats (avocado oil) limit. I know there are weekly points but those are for my barely sweetened tea for which would use every one of them.

Although I did recently discover Splenda. Yes, I know it's been around for 20 years but I had never tried it. I lumped it in with equal & sweet and low as toxic (to me, headaches and nausea). I tried stevia years ago and it's just gross so I'd always assumed Splenda would be the same.... It's not great, I mean it's not real sugar and there is a weird taste but I can deal with it.

We're moving end of February to an apartment complex with a very nice 24 hour gym that I can't wait to use. I had a membership at PF for a while and LOVED the working out but hated having to drive through our crazy traffic and then wait around for machines. So I'm looking forward to having a state of the art gym mostly to myself (plus a saltwater pool in the summer.... (probably won't be mostly to myself, lol).

I'm setting a realistic goal of 15-20 pounds before June 2018 and hopefully 50 pounds total by June 2019.

ETA: We also bought an Air Fryer as our family Christmas gift. That way the whole family will stop eating deep fried food and they won't have to deal with me staring at them as they eat french fries.

You can set your weight loss to "maintenance" on weight watchers, pick how many points you want per day and go from there. That is what I am doing and I am sure lots of others.

• Like 1

I plan to continue what I started this year. Since January I have been figuring out what works for me. I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t function on low carb so I had to figure out an amount that works for me. I have lost 4 pants sizes now so I want to keep that. I hurt my knee in August and had to modify my routine. I plan to continue taekwondo, add more weighted bars, and working out.

I got an Apple Watch for Christmas to replace my Fitbit. So far it is more accurate in recognizing exercises and steps compared to the fitbit. My Fitbit wouldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t recognize twd or certain other workouts.

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 2

Is THM a low carb diet?

No. It is naturally lower and sugar free. But carbs are essential and for sure part of the plan. They do have you separate the carbs from the fats you eat so that your body has a chance to burn the fuel you give it. (Either carbs or fats. Not both). It really works for me but sometimes i just really miss cream in my oatmeal or butter on bread etc. you can have those things but it's not weight loss friendly and its a slippery slope for me to quickly falling off plan

Edited by busymama7
  • Like 1

I have 10-15 pounds I would like to lose in the new year.  They have slowly crept on and it really bothers me.  But I'm also a stress eater and sugar is my vice.  Not a good combo.  I'm reading up on HFLC and thinking seriously about trying it.  I successfully lost weight eating Whole30 / strict paleo but DH can't eat mammal meat now and it's been hard for him to feel satisfied on Whole30.  So, HFLC may be a good thing for me to try.  

I've restarted my 5:2 diet, aiming for more weeks of 4:3 when possible.  I'm 2 weeks into this way of eating (WoE) & have already lost 4 pounds.  On my fast days I stop eating after dinner the night before & only have water until dinner on my fast day.  My fast day dinner is always a big salad plate with a bit of protein (lean meat, sprinkle of cheese, eggs, fish, etc.) for flavour & to keep me feeling full until the next morning.  I was very successful with this WoE 4 years ago when I lost over 50 pounds.  In January 2017 we demolished our kitchen as part of our renovations & did not finish the new kitchen until Thanksgiving.  By mid-year I had had enough of living with no kitchen & began to eat too many meals at McDonalds as it was just easier.  Over the past year I regained all the weight I had previously lost.  I am determined to lose this weight again, but am realistic in that if it took a year to regain the weight, it may take a year or so to lose it again.  Once I've lost 20 pounds I plan to join the gym again if finances allow.  Exercise has never played a part in me successfully losing weight.  Only changing what I eat works for me.  Carbs are my downfall & I aim for my fast days to be as carb free as possible.

While I eat pretty healthy I still overeat and I've continued to gain weight, not a lot but enough that I absolutely have to stop it NOW.

That's mostly my problem. I do have a few unhealthy foods I like but mostly I tend to overeat the healthy stuff. I actually think healthy food tastes good and I often want to eat it beyond satiety. 

I've been giving WW (freestyle) a try for the last few weeks and it is not working.  Not nearly enough points (23 versus the 30 from before plus weekly). I mean if you eat a lot of meat (we don't) or beans (I have FODMAPS issues) or eggs (again gastro-intestinal issues with those) then sure 23 pts might be enough.  I do like corn and potatoes (now free on freestyle) but I like them way to much and if they are free I will definitely overeat them daily.  So instead I'm going to try to use itrackbites with 30 points daily.  I thought about doing simply filling but I don't think I can keep within the 2 tsp of fats (avocado oil) limit.  I know there are  weekly points but those are for my barely sweetened tea for which would use every one of them.

This is my issue with the new Freestyle. I've seen complaints on their facebook page about how the free foods are things they don't like or have to be cooked. For me, the zero points foods are almost all things I love and would eat too much of if I'm not careful. They might be zero points but for me they could be downfall foods. Also, I cook regularly so that's not an issue. It wouldn't stop me from eating those foods.

Also, thank you for mentioning itrackbites! That looks great, and I just downloaded it.

Although I did recently discover Splenda.  Yes, I know it's been around for 20 years but I had never tried it.  I lumped it in with equal & sweet and low as toxic (to me, headaches and nausea).  I tried stevia years ago and it's just gross so I'd always assumed Splenda would be the same.... It's not great, I mean it's not real sugar and there is a weird taste but I can deal with it.

Ds has been using Splenda in his coffee for a while now but I usually use sugar. I rationalize that I only use 1/2 tsp. per cup and generally have only 2 cups a day, but that total of 1 tsp. shoots my breakfast points just as my day is getting started (on Freestyle that is). I recently tried his Splenda and I found that I like it. I only like a small amount of sweetener in m coffee.

-exercise 5 days a week.  I power walk with Leslie Sansone work out dvd and use 2 pound weights

-only water to drink (except for coffee.....coffee only has a tiny amount of coconut creamer in it)

I like Leslie Sansone's walking DVDs as well as some of Madeleine Lewis'. I also like Jessica Smith, who has a ton of videos on YouTube. Most are walking but there are a lot of others too. She's young and perky but not at all condescending. And she always tells you to listen to your body and work up to the harder stuff. She lost a lot of weight herself so she knows what it's like. None of these ladies are probably the choice of hard core exercise folks, but they all do a good job for those of us who are trying to move more.

I too tend to drink water and coffee. Water is my drink of choice so I don't have to make myself drink it and I didn't have to give up other drinks to replace them with water. Coffee is the only other thing I drink regularly - two cups a day for the most part. I'll have an occasional glass of wine with dinner but I can count on one had the number of glasses I have in a month. Drinking my calories has never really been a problem for me. I just love food. :)

• Like 1

I honestly don't know. I have 20 more pounds to lose, but it seems like every time I cut back enough to lose my milk supply drops :(

That includes on Weight Watchers eating a decent amount of carbs and when low carb. But I'm reading a study that says low carb high fat doesn't seem to cause milk supply issues, maybe I needed more fat. But..with my bariatric surgery I have to be careful of how much fat I have or I get an upset stomach. (like...I can have half and half in my coffee but not heavy cream or I get dumping syndrome) I'm also reading that it could be the dehydration that can come with low carb that causes the milk supply issue, so maybe if I'm more careful about that. I'm bad about drinking enough. 

Thinking I'll try to cut back and eat healthy and add some more milk tea or something. Because eating a bunch of junk just to increase milk supply is dumb, lol. (but it works)

• Like 1

My baby turn 1 on January 2nd, which means I'll almost be done weaning him and will be able to lose weight again. My body does not lose weight while nursing but it has maintained my weight since his birth.

My goal for this year is to work up to working out 5 days a week again and not eating out. I can keep my food choices healthy as long as I'm not eating out. This will be easier than usual because it is also for financial reasons so dh is not going to suggest we eat out on the weekends.

• Like 1

Oh boy, something HAS to be done. After baby #6 (and my last) I'm now up 30 lb from where I started, which was overweight to begin with. I am so upset with myself because prior to getting pregnant, I had lost 70 lbs! I was at a very healthy weight and boy did people notice. Now, when I see people, I'm 100% positive that they're thinking "whoa, she's gained all of it back". That is a crappy place to be, folks.

So, now I have to figure out how to lose this. I hate the roller coaster thing I'm on and know it's not good for me. I have super low vitamin D (which i'm working on getting up with a doc) and so have no energy to work out. I seriously think being home all day is killing me-I just can't live in my kitchen and be tempting 24/7 and lose weight! Well, okay I did before but now I'm home with the baby (and no one watching) and I feel like I can eat whatever I want because of my newfound "freedom". 

What will I do? Probably get back on Isagenix in some shape or form. It worked the first time and was working until I got pregnant. (yes, it's MLM and I'm not here to sell it I promise!) but it seriously did work. So, that's my go-to along with just cutting out the junk and pop (boo!). Can we somehow keep each other accountable? I hope to be 30 lb lighter by May, baseball season!!!

• Like 2

Oh boy, something HAS to be done. After baby #6 (and my last) I'm now up 30 lb from where I started, which was overweight to begin with. I am so upset with myself because prior to getting pregnant, I had lost 70 lbs! I was at a very healthy weight and boy did people notice. Now, when I see people, I'm 100% positive that they're thinking "whoa, she's gained all of it back". That is a crappy place to be, folks.

So, now I have to figure out how to lose this. I hate the roller coaster thing I'm on and know it's not good for me. I have super low vitamin D (which i'm working on getting up with a doc) and so have no energy to work out. I seriously think being home all day is killing me-I just can't live in my kitchen and be tempting 24/7 and lose weight! Well, okay I did before but now I'm home with the baby (and no one watching) and I feel like I can eat whatever I want because of my newfound "freedom".

What will I do? Probably get back on Isagenix in some shape or form. It worked the first time and was working until I got pregnant. (yes, it's MLM and I'm not here to sell it I promise!) but it seriously did work. So, that's my go-to along with just cutting out the junk and pop (boo!). Can we somehow keep each other accountable? I hope to be 30 lb lighter by May, baseball season!!!

If you havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t looked into it- liquid vitamin D instead of pills.

I don't have too much to lose, just a few pounds, but I'm back on the 5-2 (intermittent fasting) diet again.  I do not enjoy it even one little bit.  Fasting does NOT give me more energy, it just makes me hungry and grumpy.  However, it is extremely effective and I know that I will lose the weight.  

I am also working out like a madwoman, but that's not really to lose weight.  

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 3

Ok, now that the baby isn't in my arms, I'll elaborate. I agree that you have to know what your own big issues are. For me, I won't give up eating at night. I like having a meal after the kids are asleep and I can eat without being interrupted 15 times. So I have gone to skipping breakfast and moving all my meals forward, so I have a regular meal in the late evening, rather than eating all my normal meals and then additional snacking at night. I also like to cook. That's important to me. Carbs, as much as I used to love bread, are not a big deal for me now, as long as my blood sugar is regulated. Or they weren't before getting pregnant and having a baby. Now I do crave more, and am having a hard time finding the sweet spot that is enough to keep me even keel but not so much I crave food constantly. I keep teetering back and forth on that. Now, I did lose all the baby weight and am right back where I was before getting pregnant, but I want to lose another 20 pounds. 

I'm thinking maybe I need to have more carbs than my typical bariatric diet BUT make them from fruits and veggies and nuts, not grains. So, go ahead and have an apple with peanut butter but not crackers with my cheese. I'm less likely to overdue it with corn on the cob than with crackers. (thankfully bread is self limiting post surgery). 

I'm signed up for WW because in theory the free foods are all bariatric friendly. BUT...I find the points for nursing exclusively are too high and the ones for nursing not exclusively are not high enough. And I start eating things I don't like to eat, like fat free half and half. Not sure if I'll stick with it or pay the cancelation fee. One of the reasons i had surgery was to avoid having to do WW and such because those kinds of programs lead to fairly disordered eating for me. 

I've lost 24 pounds in 2017, and I have another 60-75 pounds left. I've fallen off the wagon the last week or so and I need to get back to it.

The way I've lost and plan to continue is

• Track with myfitnesspal - about 1200-1500 calories, 75-100 carbs
  • 100 ounces of water daily - I don't drink anything but water
  • Minimal carbs after lunch
  • Eat only between 7 am - 7 pm
  • Treats only 1x per week

It took 3 months for any of this to have any effect at all on my weight, but it's been coming off fairly quickly since my body got the message that this was the new normal. I hope to add in cardio exercise soon; I'm waiting until I've lost about another 5-10 pounds since my body hurts at this weight. I also need to pick up my weight routine again - ugh, I always have to start at zero again every time I fall off the wagon for that.

• Like 6

Just curious what your plans are.

Have a baby! Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€ Ă°Å¸ËœÅ“

Seriously though, I had just embarked on a clean eating plan when I found out. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s basically low carb and real foods plan.

So, my new plan is to eat healthy and to only gain a healthy amount of weight this pregnancy. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m loosely following the list of foods for people with gestational diabetes and focusing on not overeating. I especially hope to not indulge in all the cravings for unhealthy foods as I did in my previous pregnancies. I wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t focus on weight loss until IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m done breastfeeding.

• Like 4

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure what IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m going to do. I lose and regain the same 15 pounds every year, actually, I gain a little more than I lose. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve lost weight before with the Whole30 and more recently with high protein, low fat diet and intensive exercise program (mostly weights) with some trainers in our area. I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t mind Whole30. I just donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t want to do something so extreme again. I definitely learned some things though about how my body responds to certain foods that IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d like to apply this year. The program with the trainers didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t work for me. I lost weight and inches but hated every minute of it.

I need to exercise more. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m enjoying my karate classes but I need to do more than that. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m thinking of just doing things like Leslie Sansone, Jessica Smith, and Ellen Barrett to get started.

As far as diet, I plan to cut out sweets and processed foods. I want to focus my diet on whole foods- vegetables, fruit, beans, meat/poultry/fish, eggs, a little dairy, limited whole grains. Putting that in practice is hard.

• Like 1

2017 was hard. My dad died, and between grieving, cleaning out the house my family had lived in since I was a little girl, and handling the estate, I gained a bunch of weight, about 20 pounds since last year and I wasn't skinny then. Ugh.

My daughter-in-law and I are starting a Zumba class together. I know I need to do more than that. I need to cut out sugar and other bad carbs, drink more water, get more sleep, and stop eating junk. I don't have a specific eating plan. I'm not sure if I should go low carb all at once or make changes more slowly.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've been following the Wahl's Protocol for autoimmune issues. I have lost 42 pounds so far, and would like to lose another 10 pounds. The weight loss has really slowed down in the last 2 months, so I am trying to add more exercise. I was doing a daily walk with the dog, but it's been too cold for the last 2 weeks. I can't wait until it gets a little warmer! I usually get about 8000 steps a day without trying, so I'm going to add another 2000 steps a day.

I've also been doing some light resistance training but my muscles are not liking it at all. I'm not sure what to do about this. It hasn't become easier with repetition so I don't know if I should continue or not. The day after I work out I have a few hours of muscle spasms and weakness. After I discuss it with my neurologist I may consult with a physical therapist to come up with some kind of exercise plan. 

I am focusing on meal planning next. Dh gave me some glass meal prep containers that fit in my Hot Logic mini, so I want to cook a few different meals over the weekends. My sister gave me a cookbook that I had on my wishlist for my birthday, and I've already picked out 8 recipes to try. I also follow a few blogs/websites and started a notebook with recipes I've printed out. Dh is always trying to modify his recipes so that I can eat them and makes extra so that I have a few meals.  :wub:

I started out on Weight Watchers, and while I love the program I'm really happy that I don't have to track anything other than trying to get all my veggies and fruits in, in the proper proportions. The ideal for Wahls is 9 cups - 3 cups greens, 3 cups sulfur and 3 cups colors. On a good day I get about 2 cups of each, every once in a while I get the full amount. Once I even went over! :001_rolleyes:

• Like 3

I'm going strict Keto. I lost 60lbs this way in 2016. Then I had a pretty bad bout of seasonal depression last year and gained 25lbs back. I've since lost 11 lbs and I think I've gained a lot of muscle (I started weight lifting back in the spring). I am guessing I could lose another 8 lbs before reaching a place I'd like to maintain. 

I also do some fasting. Not just for weight loss, but also for energy. I think it helps my immune system and there are other benefits as well. Plus, I like fasting. I'll do two 48 hour fasts per week and eventually I'll probably go down to one 48 and two 24's. Dr. Fung's book The Complete Guide to Fasting is excellent reading. 

I'm going to continue running. I hated running all my life, but started with the couch to 10k app in the spring of 2016. I run three times a week and am currently in a group that is training for a half-marathon that I've signed up for in February. I go to the gym twice a week but am going to increase it to 3 times a week in February (after the half-marathon) to give me something to focus on. I'm hoping that the added time in the gym will help me with my battle against seasonal depression. 

My big challenge will be to stay away from sugar. I was doing great in November and basically until Christmas. I've indulged somewhat since Christmas, but not nearly as badly as I did last year. I need to go back to strict Keto and no sugar because I think sugar plays into the whole seasonal depression thing. Plus, I gain weight when I eat it. 

So, that's it I guess. Fasting, Keto, challenging exercise. 

I wish I knew you IRL, we'd be great buddies, I've got the same plan.  I'm trying to really go about it differently this time around and focus on my running as the impetus for my diet changes.  I take my (albeit very slow) running seriously and want to see what running on ketones can do for my endurance.  The running was the missing ingredient in the past.  

I only have 10-20 to lose, depending on what is truly realistic (I probably should aim for a comfortable adult weight and not my high school varsity cross country runner weight...)

I've enjoyed Mystie Winkler's habit stuff lately and want to really embrace habits as a DISCIPLINE and not a question of motivation (which will inevitably wax and wane)