Menu

What are you planning to do to lose weight in 2018

DawnM

Just curious what your plans are.

I am reading some blogs/youtubes, etc, and gearing up.  I had thought I could do Dec. but with all the parties and goodies shipped to us from relatives, I blew it and just decided to wait until January and be a cliche after all.

Tell me your plans, how you are prepping food wise, getting your mind set going, etc....

I need some inspiration.

My first goal is 20-25 pounds by May 1st.  

• Like 7

I'm continuing my journey with Trim Healthy Mama. It works. I've lost around 70ish pounds (I avoided the scale) and though I have gained a few back over the holidays- and want to lose 10-15 depending on what feels right at that point. While I want to be at a solid healthy weight and run another half marathon this year- I'm not aiming for a specific number in the scale.

• Like 11

My DD is getting married in August so I have about 6 months to lose weight before I final fittings for a mother-of-the-bride dress.

I am going to join online WW to track weight and help me look up calories and food values. I'm going to exercise more in  different ways than I have been.

I am going to track exercise in my bullet journal. Some of this will be easy (I hope)  as I have two sports seasons coming up and should be on court at least three hours a day 5-7 days a week. I've enlisted the help of the athletic trainer to help devise conditioning routines for the teams and will use him for my own goals as well.

My biggest hurdle is anxiety/depression eating and I am anxious/depressed quite a bit. I need to address this before I can be successful with long-term weight loss. It takes me a month to lose 5 pounds and just a few days to gain it (or more) back due to cortisol levels.

• Like 4

I joined Weight Watchers on Dec 8. I really like the plan. I've lost 5.8 pounds so far. There are lots of high nutrient, low fat foods that are "free" on the plan and I can use my points carefully so that I can eat with others (one of my top values).

I started going to a PT in October for my bum knee. It is *so* much better! I'm hoping to take up running again in 2018, and am slowly adding exercise videos at home right now.

Emily

• Like 5

I'm continuing my journey with Trim Healthy Mama. It works. I've lost around 70ish pounds (I avoided the scale) and though I have gained a few back over the holidays- and want to lose 10-15 depending on what feels right at that point. While I want to be at a solid healthy weight and run another half marathon this year- I'm not aiming for a specific number in the scale.

Can you give me some easy things you do for THM prep?  If ind it rather cumbersome.  

• Like 2

Maybe I should say I am aiming to go down 2 dress sizes by May.  

If I don't measure in some way, I don't stick to it.  I have to be able to measure something, but I find size and inches SLOW to come off and not as gratifying as a pound or two on the scale as those are immediate measurements.

• Like 2

Same thing I did in 2017. No sugar, no junk, no pasta, no bread, no baked goods. Eating 95% plants, a small amount of fish/seafood, and a tiny bit of eggs and dairy. This is how I plan to eat for the rest of my life. I lost 20+ pounds in the last few months of 2017 and hope to continue losing.

• Like 14

I joined WW online the beginning of September and I'm down 14 pounds. Fairly slow, but liveable. I like the points, for me it steers me to healthy foods in addition to giving me limits. I've also been walking and exercising some. I got a rowing machine for Christmas so I'm adding that in and sticking with WW. I have about 25-30 pounds more I'd like to lose.

• Like 2

I'm going strict Keto. I lost 60lbs this way in 2016. Then I had a pretty bad bout of seasonal depression last year and gained 25lbs back. I've since lost 11 lbs and I think I've gained a lot of muscle (I started weight lifting back in the spring). I am guessing I could lose another 8 lbs before reaching a place I'd like to maintain. 

I also do some fasting. Not just for weight loss, but also for energy. I think it helps my immune system and there are other benefits as well. Plus, I like fasting. I'll do two 48 hour fasts per week and eventually I'll probably go down to one 48 and two 24's. Dr. Fung's book The Complete Guide to Fasting is excellent reading. 

I'm going to continue running. I hated running all my life, but started with the couch to 10k app in the spring of 2016. I run three times a week and am currently in a group that is training for a half-marathon that I've signed up for in February. I go to the gym twice a week but am going to increase it to 3 times a week in February (after the half-marathon) to give me something to focus on. I'm hoping that the added time in the gym will help me with my battle against seasonal depression. 

My big challenge will be to stay away from sugar. I was doing great in November and basically until Christmas. I've indulged somewhat since Christmas, but not nearly as badly as I did last year. I need to go back to strict Keto and no sugar because I think sugar plays into the whole seasonal depression thing. Plus, I gain weight when I eat it. 

So, that's it I guess. Fasting, Keto, challenging exercise. 

• Like 7

So far I got a Fitbit so I take many more steps each day than I did before.

Want to get back to using my rebounder too, I love that thing.

I always think, hey, I could drink less, but then I'm like, yeah, life, so that won't happen. ;) I did switch to a cider that has only 2 grams of carbs per 16 oz and no added sugar.

I quit processed foods in large part and don't go near the big carbs like bread, crackers, rice etc. 

So I am hopeful this is my year.

Edited by Lizzie in Ma
  • Like 3

So far I got a Fitbit so I take many more steps each day than I did before.

Want to get back to using my rebounder too, I love that thing.

I always think, hey, I could drink less, but then I'm like, yeah, life, so that won't happen. ;) I did switch to a cider that has only 2 grams of carbs per 16 oz and no added sugar.

I quit processed foods in large part and don't go near the big carbs like bread, crackers, rice etc.

So I am hopeful this is my year.

Yes! I love my rebounder. That's my main way to get steps in during this awful weather. It's so fun. And, also, wine:)

• Like 1

​I am planning on doing what I did last year from December-March- myfitnesspal.com.  I love Classical Stretch videos as they helped me recover from my CSection so I will do those daily for the month of January, followed by PIYO for the next two months because I cannot get out and walk in this cold weather here.  I went from 165 to 145 last year on the diet.  I still do the same diet (mostly vegetables, some of anything else as I desire)- the only difference between what I used to do and what I do on my "diet" is limit my pasta, bread, and potatoes to a single serving per meal.  

​My main goal is to get more toned (This is my primary goal) and lower my weight by 10 more pounds as I am 16 months postpartum and I want to be as healthy as possible before another pregnancy.  I had gestational diabetes at the end of my 5th pregnancy (I carried him a month overdue and was on bedrest for 4 months- so I gained weight 180 at my highest and he was 10 lbs)- and was borderline with my 6th (I weighed 168 at my highest) - so I think by lowering my weight and watching startches I can prevent it in the future pregnancy.  Diabetes is strong in my family, so I watch starches and quit all "pop/coke/soda"-LOL.  I am 5ft. 7 and 1/2 and weight 148 right now s, but I have to be at a lower weight than some to prevent insulin problems.  

​I don't want to die young "56" like my mom(she smoked 2-3 packs a day) and grandmother(had TB and severe diabetes). or even "70" like my dad.  My paternal grandmother lived to almost 94, she ate everything, but in moderation- a bite of something isn't half the pan.  My father and maternal grandmothers favorite foods are the same as mine- potatoes (which are good for you, just don't eat the whole pot-LOL), Biscuits and gravy, and Macaroni and cheese- but I equally love green beans, peas, carrots, beans of all kinds- I live 95% vegetarian with too much cheese.

• Like 2

Not sure if this counts since I'm looking to maintain, don't need to lose more, but just in case.....  I went vegan in August and within weeks dropped all the weight I'd been trying to lose for years.  So I'm sticking with it!  I follow Dr. Gregor's "daily dozen" checklist (except that I can't eat nuts because they trigger migraines for me):  https://nutritionfacts.org/video/dr-gregers-daily-dozen-checklist/

Edited by Greta
  • Like 10

I'm following the goals that work for me, and it's a lifestyle that I can maintain and have done so before. I want to lose about 8 pounds.

1) Track eating on MyFitnessPal

2) MFP targets: 1540 calories, meet protein, fiber, and sodium goals

3) Aim for 4-5 servings of fruits/vegetables daily

4) No sweets except Sundays

5) Treadmill 5 days/week. I've had plantar fasciitis since summer, so no running. 30 min walk at 4 mph.

6) Need to get back in the habit of some weights, lunges, planks, stretching, etc.

• Like 4

Same thing I did in 2017. No sugar, no junk, no pasta, no bread, no baked goods. Eating 95% plants, a small amount of fish/seafood, and a tiny bit of eggs and dairy. This is how I plan to eat for the rest of my life. I lost 20+ pounds in the last few months of 2017 and hope to continue losing.

I am attempting to do something similar. No dairy, no pasta, limited eggs, and low/no sugar. I started after Thanksgiving and lost 4 lbs by Christmas. I removed dairy hoping that it would clear up my eczema hot spots (still have dry skin but itchy spots are gone!!) and I removed sugar because I cannot live my life going from sugar high to sugar high. Sugar was my drug :sad:  I drink herbal tea when I'm wanting sugar. 

I need to work in a fitness something. I was running this fall but I'd like to buy a kick board and paddle laps in the local pool.

• Like 2

Not sure if this counts since I'm looking to maintain, don't need to lose more, but just in case.....  I went vegan in August and within weeks dropped all the weight I'd been trying to lose for years.  So I'm sticking with it!  I follow Dr. Gregor's "daily dozen" checklist (except that I can't eat nuts because they trigger migraines for me):  https://nutritionfacts.org/video/dr-gregers-daily-dozen-checklist/

thx for the reminder about Dr Gregor's dozen - I'm going to recheck that list. 

I'm looking to maintain as well but being more intentional about it to help with my health. 

I'm staying vegan. Adding more legumes, dropping fat and reducing reliance on processed foods. So I guess more meal planning & advance prep. 

I'm getting back to using MyFitnessPal. 

I bought a fitbit but it won't setup with my phone so not sure what I'll do about that. 

I'm not sure how much I'll be able to exercise this spring but I'm hoping for at least daily 1hr of brisk walk. I'm signing up for my regular Zumba but that might have to be cut back. Eventually I'll be adding weight training - I think I'll hire someone to give me a few guided sessions and a plan for what to do in the weight room. 

I'm cutting sugar down to close to zero. 

• Like 5

I lost a lot of weight and have maintained that loss by making very small changes until they became a habit and then moving on to the next small change.  For example, instead of three squares of dark chocolate every day, I dropped down to two, and then one, and then none.  Or I went from having two big bowls of cereal every morning to one big and one small, then just one big and then I substituted the one big for something different.  I went from three slices of pizza on pizza night to two slices and now I don't even eat it.  Many many small changes so I don't feel deprived and don't miss the food.  I may eventually gain some weight back, but I don't think I will ever be as heavy as I was originally because I can't even imagine eating the way I did before because I have new habits now.

• Like 12

I joined weight watchers online a couple of weeks ago. I need something that doesn't restrict food groups or types of food. Restriction leads me to binge eating. It does kind of guide you towards making better choices and wisely using points, but there is freedom to occasionally indulge.

I have no idea if it will be successful. The one time I was successful losing weight I wrote down all food and exercise and tried to stay in a certain calorie count. I think mostly I need to actually pay attention to what I am eating and not put my needs last. I tend to make sure my family is taken care of and my husband has good food to take to work but then I end up not eating all day while I homeschool and clean and grab some junk item on the way to work! I need to plan for myself.

Also I bought a scale (gasp!) and weighed myself for the first time in years. I usually go by my clothes which were getting tight. I realized after weighing I am the heaviest I have ever been. I also bought a food scale and I am trying to pay attention to portion size. Instead of throwing a big dallop of butter or oil I am measuring out a teaspoon. Using half an ounce of cheese instead of a whole ounce, etc..

I have lost about 4 pounds over a week or two right at Christmas so far with no exercise other than my job, which is somewhat active (not sitting at a desk the whole time). I figure if it works during such a treat heavy time it will work the rest of the year too. I had a lot of junk the last two weeks but still lost weight just paying a little more attention to food. No exercise yet but things will calm down soon at work and I will have time to create a new habit there. I am so busy that I was looking for some way to lose weight without exercise though, even though I know for my health I need to add that in eventually.

• Like 4

I joined the new Weight Watcher Freestyle program last week but am not sure I'll continue after the three month subscription is up. They say the 0 points foods are things you tend not to overeat. Obviously they've never eaten salmon, shrimp (or any other fish), clementines (Cuties, Halos), asparagus, watermelon, and a number of other foods on that list! I could easily overeat much of what's on there, including most of the high sugar fruits. Also, some perfectly healthy high protein (though also high calorie) foods are high in points. It seems a bit backwards. I liked the old points system better.

I'm currently reading The Diet Fix: Why Diets Fail and How to Make Yours Work. It was written by a bariatric doctor and recommended on the Science Based Medicine blog, whose contributors' opinions I highly respect (most are doctors or scientists).

I'm not sure if I'm going to try and combine the suggestions in the book with WW, wait until my WW subscription ends, or just drop WW altogether. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 5

I have about 60 pounds to lose. I'm considering joining WW online. I also will start exercising again. I like working out (especially weights) but I got out of the habit.

I need to make healthier choices for the whole family. Both of my daughters have had unhealthy weight gain this past year. We all need to get active.

• Like 1

Can you give me some easy things you do for THM prep? If ind it rather cumbersome.

I do mix up several muffin in a mug mixes for busy mornings. I just put them in snack bags and that way I have a variety of them available. I keep a canister of the hot chicolate trimmy mix made since I am not a coffee drinker- some people do the same with the coffee trimmy mix. I pre cook several pounds of chicken breast and hamburger meat as a quick meal maker for those busy days. I sometimes will pre chop veggies. I pre cook bags of beans and rice and freeze. That is more money saving then time saving. They suggest "hangry pockets" for those days when you have minimal time, but I haven't made those yet.

I find it easy as long as I'm not having all these holiday things, and my son is home on leave asking for his favorites. 😉 Because they are busy homeschool moms themselves I find they don't have too many involved recipes. Do you have the Trim Healthy Table book? That's great for a "quick start" guide. I love and prefer the first edition to really learn the why and not just the how. It just makes sense to me, and I can throw together a yummy brownie in a bowl or truffles, etc... to beat that sweet tooth. 😊

• Like 1

I'm not sure yet, but I have at least 30 to lose. I will be writing down my game plan this weekend. I do want to be able to wear my weddng ring again and to look good at my DH's godson's wedding in early May. Starting on Tuesday because I am making Quiver's cinnamon rolls for the first time on Monday 😂😂😂 and I'm having a mimosa 😜😜😜

• Like 1

I joined the new Weight Watcher Freestyle program last week but am not sure I'll continue after the three month subscription is up. They say the 0 points foods are things you tend not to overeat. Obviously they've never eaten salmon, shrimp (or any other fish), clementines (Cuties, Halos), asparagus, watermelon, and a number of other foods on that list! I could easily overeat much of what's on there, including most of the high sugar fruits. Also, some perfectly healthy high protein (though also high calorie) foods are high in points. It seems a bit backwards. I liked the old points system better.

I'm currently reading The Diet Fix: Why Diets Fail and How to Make Yours Work. It was written by a bariatric doctor and recommended on the Science Based Medicine blog, whose contributors' opinions I highly respect (most are doctors or scientists).

I'm not sure if I'm going to try and combine the suggestions in the book with WW, wait until my WW subscription ends, or just drop WW altogether.

I think the theory is to eat until satisfied, not full or stuffed. The hard thing is that if I were good at eating to satisfaction, I wouldn't be needing WW. 😉 So, my plan is to keep measuring and make sure I'm eating one "portion" before I go on to seconds. So, a cup of berries not a bowl (I've been doing the bowl....a couple times a day...). A half cup of yogurt, not a big blob (since it's "zero" points). I had my first gain this week and my only explanation is too much fruit. I'm focusing on adding in a lot more vegetables and being more conscious of serving size and tracking really well. I talked to my leader about it and she was SO RIGHT that learning to stop when saited is a skill that I need to learn to be successful in the long term, so I'm committing to it. Edited by FriedClams
  • Like 2

I got a fitbit for Christmas. So for starters I'm trying to meet the 10,000 steps a day. I am not even close :/ 

I'm going to cut back on sugar. Maybe I need to try one of those plans that cut out sugar entirely to break the habit/addiction, but I just don't think I'd have the willpower and motivation to follow it. I think it might be more doable for me to just buckle down on all the extras to start with. 

I need to find a way to start working out. I have never regularly worked out though in the past year I did try it a few times. It's just not something I've ever made a part of my life. 

• Like 2

I do mix up several muffin in a mug mixes for busy mornings. I just put them in snack bags and that way I have a variety of them available. I keep a canister of the hot chicolate trimmy mix made since I am not a coffee drinker- some people do the same with the coffee trimmy mix. I pre cook several pounds of chicken breast and hamburger meat as a quick meal maker for those busy days. I sometimes will pre chop veggies. I pre cook bags of beans and rice and freeze. That is more money saving then time saving. They suggest "hangry pockets" for those days when you have minimal time, but I haven't made those yet.

I find it easy as long as I'm not having all these holiday things, and my son is home on leave asking for his favorites. 😉 Because they are busy homeschool moms themselves I find they don't have too many involved recipes. Do you have the Trim Healthy Table book? That's great for a "quick start" guide. I love and prefer the first edition to really learn the why and not just the how. It just makes sense to me, and I can throw together a yummy brownie in a bowl or truffles, etc... to beat that sweet tooth. 😊

I have the books.  I have first and second additions.  I wanted it to work.  I have done it three times now. I struggle with the taste of some of the recipes.  And I find I still need to be careful with calories.  

I like Briana Thomas's cookbook better, but I still struggle with TIME.  I need to cook up some in the next day or two and freeze before I start back to work Jan 2nd.  

I will look at the trimmy mix (I also can't stand their little "cute" names but I am trying to overlook that.)

I have the books.  I have first and second additions.  I wanted it to work.  I have done it three times now. I struggle with the taste of some of the recipes.  And I find I still need to be careful with calories.  

I like Briana Thomas's cookbook better, but I still struggle with TIME.  I need to cook up some in the next day or two and freeze before I start back to work Jan 2nd.  

I will look at the trimmy mix (I also can't stand their little "cute" names but I am trying to overlook that.)

I have been doing this for a year.  I lost a  lot.  

I do agree with you about the receipes.  I tend to just use them as a guide.  They do not use enough herbs and spices and their food taste bland.  In fact I mostly just use their dessert receipes.  I am slowly finding out which ones I like and are keepers.  

I also do not like their cute names.  I find it ridiculous.

I do enjoy reading some of the info on health related issues and food etc.  

My dr recommended Dr Perlmutters Grain Brain, which I read and it goes well with THM and he's even come out with a how to book since that time, which I believe is where THM filled in the gaps for me and a doable and easy plan for me.

• Like 1

I think the key (as someone still figuring this out) is to know what you are willing to give/give up.

For me, I highly value eating with others. That rules out diets like THM (no one I know eats like that so I'd be bringing my own food or skipping lots of events) or diets that cut out major groups of foods. FWIW, my dietitian friend never recommends diets like Whole 30 because people don't stick to them long term. I did do something Whole 30-like when I was having gallbladder problems and lost a ton of weight. But then it got back to normal and I was invited to an Easter meal... and that was the end of that. I couldn't do something like NutriSystem that required me to buy special bars or foods, either, because I value eating real foods and with my family.

I also know that I don't want to lose weight in an unsustainable way. I am not going to go vegan or give up bread, or carbs, or sugar for life. Some people might do that. I won't. And I'll eventually crave whatever is not allowed.

For me, Weight Watchers seems to provide a middle-of-the-read approach where I can have pizza or sugar cookies, but not both, and not for every meal. But I've had guests, Christmas, and evenings out and been able to stay on plan the whole time. Heck, I've eaten chocolate pecan pie every day this week - but a 1" square that I've tracked and countered by eating lots of veggies and low-fat proteins at meals. So I'm finding WW is helping me be moderate in a way that seemed impossible before. But, of course, I'm only 3 weeks in!

Emily

• Like 9

I’m starting Whole30 ingredients when I go food shopping today or tomorrow. But not an actual round until after dd’s scope. When W30 confirms, for the billionth time, my problem foods, I plan to keep those out and stay lower carb.

I’m adding back in higher dose vitamin D and will watch for reasons to check levels. I’ve done 100,000 a week for 6 weeks and still didn’t go over acceptable limits (under medical supervision).

I started Crossfit in October and physical therapy last week (I’m making odd progress in Crossfit so I need those weak and tight parts fixed before it becomes a big problem). I’m attempting to add going to the gym at the Y on the days I can’t make a Crossfit class.

Dd and I may attempt yoga at the Y, but the schedule usually doesn’t fit.

I want to lose about 40-50lbs, but am looking more at how clothes fit. Weighing and measuring just for motivation.

I’m going to keep on keeping on. I’ve lost over 100lbs by small sustainable changes that I knew I could maintain without requiring will-power or doing anything temporary. For me, it’s all about losing weight in a way that I can maintain for the rest of my life, not going on a temporary diet I planned on stopping once I was “done†losing the weight.

I am changing focus this next year. I probably have about 20-30lbs ish to go. Instead of focusing on the number on the scale, I’m going to focus on performance goals - how best can I eat and get lean to enable me to reach my race goals instead of losing weight simply to reach a specific number on the scale.

I like Dr. Gregor’s daily dozen list, but I think I’ll use Matt Fitzgerald’s DQS which while not specifically vegan focuses on the same types of goals while also fitting nicely with my training.

Oh, and running my very first marathon. :D

• Like 14

I think the key (as someone still figuring this out) is to know what you are willing to give/give up.

For me, I highly value eating with others. That rules out diets like THM (no one I know eats like that so I'd be bringing my own food or skipping lots of events) or diets that cut out major groups of foods. FWIW, my dietitian friend never recommends diets like Whole 30 because people don't stick to them long term. I did do something Whole 30-like when I was having gallbladder problems and lost a ton of weight. But then it got back to normal and I was invited to an Easter meal... and that was the end of that. I couldn't do something like NutriSystem that required me to buy special bars or foods, either, because I value eating real foods and with my family.

I also know that I don't want to lose weight in an unsustainable way. I am not going to go vegan or give up bread, or carbs, or sugar for life. Some people might do that. I won't. And I'll eventually crave whatever is not allowed.

For me, Weight Watchers seems to provide a middle-of-the-read approach where I can have pizza or sugar cookies, but not both, and not for every meal. But I've had guests, Christmas, and evenings out and been able to stay on plan the whole time. Heck, I've eaten chocolate pecan pie every day this week - but a 1" square that I've tracked and countered by eating lots of veggies and low-fat proteins at meals. So I'm finding WW is helping me be moderate in a way that seemed impossible before. But, of course, I'm only 3 weeks in!

Emily

The book I linked upthread addresses all of the bolded. He talks about eating as a social activity and how we shouldn't have to give that up. He mentions both stomach and brain hunger and how to satisfy both. Like your dietitian friend he doesn't recommend diets that demonize a certain food though he does go over what to keep to a minimum, such as white flour foods. He also says to avoid diets that promote miracle foods.

. That rules out diets like THM (no one I know eats like that so I'd be bringing my own food or skipping lots of events) or diets that cut out major groups of foods. FWIW, my dietitian friend never recommends diets like Whole 30 because people don't stick to them long term. I did do something Whole 30-like when I was having gallbladder problems and lost a ton of weight. But then it got back to normal and I was invited to an Easter meal... and that was the end of that. I couldn't do something like NutriSystem that required me to buy special bars or foods, either, because I value eating real foods and with my family.

Why not? My friend did THM, lost over 50 pounds and ate out with us regularly.

1.  I am resolving not to eat anything high calorie that doesn't taste over the moon good.  That means, among other things, that I am going to throw out all my stale Christmas cookies, which are good but not THAT good.  

2.  Back to food tracking.  It's the only thing that works for me.  Glad to use MyFitnessPal rather than the ever flakey WW Online that worked for me until they changed their whole system, which I have since learned they do pretty often.  I need something more steady than that.  Codicil:  When I'm in a very active and social environment, like at the cabin, I'm not tracking, just eating sensibly.  You have to have something to live for, and besides, I'm so much more active up there that it compensates for eating more, it seems.

3.  Dang it, I triggered my plantar fascitis again, after several years of not having it, just in one danged foot.  I will be going to an accupuncturist for this after the first of the year when my FSA resets.  I hope that works; otherwise I'm going to have to try to score some prednisone and I hate that stuff.  But I have to get better or else I won't be able to keep my step count up and take up running again which I have been looking forward to for the last two months.

4.  Fitbit focus--I will up my step count average by about 1000 steps per quarter if I can't run.  And if the PF doesn't resolve so I can't even do that, then I will get back on my HealthRider and build endurance and flexibility at least.

5.  Back to Essential Stretch--I'm ready to try this again.  The last time, I had trouble but it was related to something else.  OR, I'll try restorative yoga--I have heard of a good instructor that I think I would like.

6.  ETA:  PS:  If I stayed off of social media I'd probably lose weight right away.  Seriously spending too much time on this.  Loving those little dopamine hits too much.  Got to cut way back.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 3

Why not? My friend did THM, lost over 50 pounds and ate out with us regularly.

I think you can easily eat out (order off a menu) with THM, but eating at someone else's house is a different experience.

The last time I went to someone's house, she had pizza, sugar cookies, and a veggie plate. The only thing I could eat with THM would have been the veggie plate. I don't want to have to pre-eat and then skip dinner. Or, three weeks ago, a friend had me over while my husband was traveling and served lasagna and salad. These things I can eat in moderation with WW but are completely off-plan (white flour) with THM.

Or, my dietitian friend has coffee breaks at her house and bakes for them. With WW I can have maybe half a piece of pound cake if I feel like it. With THM every.single.thing she bakes is off plan.

A s'more (we have s'mores nights at our house) with WW might look like one s'more with no covering. THM puts them out of limits.

Finally, THM recommends various artificial sweeteners that give me gas. And I love bread. THM cuts it out entirely. WW puts it in a reasonable place. 

I think THM might work in a community where many women follow the plan. Where I live, most women are actually quite thin and don't diet (the blessing of city life requiring a lot of walking).

Emily

• Like 1

Sad :(

Artic,

I’m so sorry, but I understand. Does your local bariatric clinic have medical weight loss plans beside surgery? Mine does. It’s 16 weeks of classes, dr visits, nurse weigh ins etc. dr visits were all covered by insurance. I did have to,pay for,the classes on the weeks I didn’t see a dr. I am now going weekly to a support group to “keep my head in the game.†I am about the only one I know who has not done surgery or eaten “product†from the their store for the 16 weeks. It I knew that product was short term and I needed to figure this out. Anyway..it’s muchnslower now that I have lost so much, but the support is fabulous.

Edited by KatieinMich
  • Like 1

Sad :(

Artic,

I’m so sorry, but I understand. Does your local bariatric clinic have medical weight loss plans beside surgery? Mine does. It’s 16 weeks of classes, dr visits, nurse weigh ins etc. dr visits were all covered by insurance. I did have to,pay for,the classes on the weeks I didn’t see a dr. I am now going weekly to a support group to “keep my head in the game.†I am about the only one I know who has not done surgery or eaten “product†from the their store for the 16 weeks. It I knew that product was short term and I needed to figure this out. Anyway..it’s muchnslower now that I have lost so much, but the support is fabulous.

Can I ask how much you had to pay?  Or was it 100% covered?  We have a place here that insurance covers part of.  I can go and pay $140/mo. I think.  I think they said it would be $35/week.  I thought of just going every OTHER week, which would be fairly easy.  They do try to push their products some and they really try to push their supplements, including Vit. B shots ($15 each and they like to give you two of them.)

We are trying to cut expenses some too, so I would need to find another way to cut somewhere else if I did it.

Does that mean you only eat on three days per week? 

I have two days where I don't eat at all, two days where I only eat dinner, and three days where I eat lunch and dinner. 

I go from dinner on Sunday night until dinner on Tuesday night. Then I fast again starting after dinner on Wednesday until we eat dinner on Friday. 

Edited by Sarah CB

I have two days where I don't eat at all, two days where I only eat dinner, and three days where I eat lunch and dinner. 

I go from dinner on Sunday night until dinner on Tuesday night. Then I fast again starting after dinner on Wednesday until we eat dinner on Friday. 

wow. And you have no blood sugar issues on the days you don't eat, and are not grumpy with hunger? Remarkable. I can't even imagine - I'd probably faint midday Monday at work.

• Like 11

Can I ask how much you had to pay? Or was it 100% covered? We have a place here that insurance covers part of. I can go and pay $140/mo. I think. I think they said it would be $35/week. I thought of just going every OTHER week, which would be fairly easy. They do try to push their products some and they really try to push their supplements, including Vit. B shots ($15 each and they like to give you two of them.)

We are trying to cut expenses some too, so I would need to find another way to cut somewhere else if I did it.

I had to pay a normal copay for each dr. Visit and I had 5 of those. Then it was 140.00 initial meeting with dietician and exercise guru. Finally of the 16 week required for the program I paid the copay for,the dr week and 25.00 for the class the other three weeks of a month. After I completed 16 weeks and as long as I attend 12 sessions a year, ideally at least one a month, group is free. It is run by one of the therapists. They don’t push anything unless you are surgical. It is an awesome clinic and they are trying to change the world of bariatrics.