Menu

Oh, no...Sue Grafton died.

unsinkable

Oh, no!  That series has linked all the parts of my adult life.  I started it in Africa, read more as a single teacher, read one while pregnant with my first in Canada, then all through little guys and a move to the East coast of the US.  It will be hard not having closure.  Kinsey seemed like a "friend" iykwim.

• Like 2

I'm sad, too. Started reading these back in the 80s, in my life before kids, and just read Y right after it came out. 

I was reminding my dh that I dragged him to a bookstore when she was doing a signing many years ago -- just pulled the book off the shelf. It was G is for Gumshoe back in 1991. We got in just about the time her signing was supposed to end, and she with a wink signed my book as well as a few I'd brought in for friends, telling me the bookstore rule was only 2 books purchased there, but she'd sign what I brought in! 

• Like 5

I'm glad to see others here who loved Grafton's books. I just loved Kinsey and loved that the stories were set before internet and cell phones became a thing. I see so many people here read such deep literature but Grafton's books were such an escape when I was knee deep raising kids and had few brain cells left for difficult books.

• Like 7

I love her books. What more than I say except no z.....it makes me so sad to think she didn't get to finish her BIG project. So sad about her passing. I hate cancer.

I want to add that I really don't want a Z by other authors. That seems wrong.

• Like 7

She was one of my favorite authors. And I love Kinsey. Like someone above stated, Kinsey feels like a friend. I will miss Sue Grafton.

Maybe we should have a peanut butter and pickle sandwich in honor of Sue. (Is it peanut butter and pickles that Kinsey eats?) Or how about a glass of wine from a box, like at Rosie's? :)

• Like 2

I'm glad to see others here who loved Grafton's books. I just loved Kinsey and loved that the stories were set before internet and cell phones became a thing. I see so many people here read such deep literature but Grafton's books were such an escape when I was knee deep raising kids and had few brain cells left for difficult books.

Yeah, except, the *always* keep me up way too late, which made me have even fewer blood cells left!  I'd stand in the library before the latest one and think--should I take it home?  can I miss sleep this week?  Of course I always did.

• Like 3

I'm fine with no Z. I'm still reading Y is for Yesterday. It's in my bed. I've always worried about Henry and I hope nothing happens to him in Y. Then I know he'll always be OK.

Aww, fudge...

Quoting myself to explain...I'm fine with no Z by other authors.

I'd love Sue to be still here to write Z plus whatever else she wanted to do.