Menu

I'm turning into my mom

Barb_

I just put on a pair of glasses to see better while looking for my glasses. I found the pair I was looking for in a drawer and tried to put them on before realizing I was already wearing glasses.

I routinely find myself wearing glasses like a headband and on my face at the same time, but this is a new level of ridiculous.

• Like 17
  • Haha 8

Related: I got my hair cut - medium-short layers - and now my grandmother is lurking in all the mirrors in the house.

:lol: That right there is why I'm afraid of going short. Not that I don't love my grandma, but catching glimpses of her when I'm not expecting it is disconcerting.

Do you ever catch yourself making certain expressions or using certain gestures and it hits you that you're channeling your mom or grandma? As I get older, I find myself doing that more and more and think, "Oh, THAT'S what she meant when she looked at me that way,"

• Like 4

My sister and I laugh at ourselves acting like mom all the time.

Earlier this year at a family gathering I leaned over to my daughter and pointed at my sister and whispered Aunt looks just like grandma and laughed. My rotten daughter looked at aunt and then at me and said "so do you".

• Like 5

I need to buy at least 4 more sets of glasses so there is one in the kitchen, one by the computer, one by my bed, and one in the school room.  And sadly one in the bathroom so I can see my new chin hairs to pluck them.  :svengo:

PS - and when my DH really wants to push my buttons he says "oh, ok Connie".  Connie, of course, being my mother's name.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 2

Related: I got my hair cut - medium-short layers - and now my grandmother is lurking in all the mirrors in the house.

What is even scarier than seeing my mom in my mirrors is suddenly looking up and seeing my grandfather in the mirror.

I am constantly loosing my glasses as I only need them for distance so often in the house I take them off and then can't find them.

• Like 2

We arrived at ds17's football game and it was lightly raining.  I took my (wear all the time prescription) glasses off and put them in my coat pocket while walking to the bleachers to try and keep them dry.  Once we were settled in the stands, I reached in my pocket and they weren't there.  I checked the other pocket and then started to panic.  Dh was looking at me weird, and I told him I couldn't find my glasses.  He said "You mean the ones you're wearing?".

Sigh.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The first time dh came to meet my parents, he saw my mom at the door as we pulled up to the house and said, "hey, it's you in thirty years." I look a lot like my mother, and I sound more like her as I age too. I try to keep my hair a different length, but then I won't see her for a while and we end up with very similar haircuts.

• Like 4

We arrived at ds17's football game and it was lightly raining. I took my (wear all the time prescription) glasses off and put them in my coat pocket while walking to the bleachers to try and keep them dry. Once we were settled in the stands, I reached in my pocket and they weren't there. I checked the other pocket and then started to panic. Dh was looking at me weird, and I told him I couldn't find my glasses. He said "You mean the ones you're wearing?".

Sigh.

Sing it, sister

I can't read in my distance glasses but I don't need reading glasses yet. I'm constantly walking around with my glasses on my head and I've even considered getting a chain for them.

:leaving:

Right there with you. My kids are threatening to buy me a chain for my glasses. I just set them down around the house and then struggle to find them.

Eye doctor has mentioned bifocals with either very weak or no prescription for the reading part.

Uggg......don't like this growing old stuff.

• Like 3

I knew I was turning in to my mother when I bought the same shirt in two different colors. To be fair, I only wear these shirts when I'm working at the hospital. Maybe people think it's a uniform! I can hope can't I?

Mom did that a lot - she'd find a shirt she liked and buy three or four of them in different colors or prints and then did the same with pants. It made shopping quite easy for her once she found what she wanted. In her later years when I shopped for her I could bring her one shirt and on pair of pants and if she liked the fit and the style, I would go back and get more of the same in different colors for her. 

• Like 5

My late maternal grandma past when I was a toddler. My maternal relatives and family friends say I take after my grandma’s mannerisms. My looks are too much a hybrid of my parents. My voice though sound like my noisy relatives.

I had my glasses on a chain or sports band on and off since I was a kid as I tend to drop them because I have a small head. I also had the bad habit of using my sunglasses as a hair band.

I can still see without my glasses though so that’s not so bad when it comes to looking for my misplaced glasses. My phone however might be buried under a magazine or cushion so I had to use find my iPhone.

• Like 2

I see myself turning into my dad more than my mother!  Little gestures and funny little sayings.  And when I look at pictures of his mother -- wow, I can sure see myself in her!  

Now that my dd's are all in their 20's, 3 of them are constantly being told how much they look like me these days.  As in nearly every time we go to the store together, or meet up with old friends.  I feel sorry for them.  They must get so tired of hearing that!

• Like 2

I knew I was turning in to my mother when I bought the same shirt in two different colors. To be fair, I only wear these shirts when I'm working at the hospital. Maybe people think it's a uniform! I can hope can't I?

Mom did that a lot - she'd find a shirt she liked and buy three or four of them in different colors or prints and then did the same with pants. It made shopping quite easy for her once she found what she wanted. In her later years when I shopped for her I could bring her one shirt and on pair of pants and if she liked the fit and the style, I would go back and get more of the same in different colors for her.

I did this yesterday at Walmart! I found a cute, Rose colored long sleeved top, and then bought one in olive, roo!

• Like 2

Uhh-ohh. I resemble that remark. I've been buying multiples of clothes for years. I love my uniforms! They make getting dressed so quick and shopping is so much easier when you only have to find one style that fits well and then replicate it.

• Like 5

I see myself turning into my dad more than my mother! Little gestures and funny little sayings. And when I look at pictures of his mother -- wow, I can sure see myself in her!

Now that my dd's are all in their 20's, 3 of them are constantly being told how much they look like me these days. As in nearly every time we go to the store together, or meet up with old friends. I feel sorry for them. They must get so tired of hearing that!

It's funny; that's what I was going to say. I see my dad. The way I smile, the expressions I make, my gestures - my dad. I'm not much like my mom at all, but my dad - carbon copy, no DNA test necessary.

• Like 2

My daughter got married Labor Day weekend.  She was the most relaxed bride ever, and on the day of the wedding, she was ready to chill and enjoy the day, after all the work of putting the wedding together in three months.  :svengo:  The morning of the wedding, she was happy. And by the time of the (evening) wedding and the party/dinner, well...by then she was in full-on party-hostess mode, and at about three notches past exuberant!! 

Immediately after the ceremony, my brother's wife and my two cousins were all hugging my immediate family, and they just couldn't get over how much DD looked and talked and moved like my mom. My brother had been moving some camera equipment, and when he joined us; the first words out of his mouth were, "It's like seeing Mom again!", which had us all in tears, since her death is still fresh.

The resemblance wouldn't have been so remarkable, except that we lived half a continent away from my parents, and it was a good year when we spent two weeks with them, and most of those years away, we didn't have Skype.  Add to that, I'm more like my dad than like my mom, so seeing the resemblance was sad/sweet and a bit breath-taking.  

• Like 6

My daughter got married Labor Day weekend. She was the most relaxed bride ever, and on the day of the wedding, she was ready to chill and enjoy the day, after all the work of putting the wedding together in three months. :svengo: The morning of the wedding, she was happy. And by the time of the (evening) wedding and the party/dinner, well...by then she was in full-on party-hostess mode, and at about three notches past exuberant!!

Immediately after the ceremony, my brother's wife and my two cousins were all hugging my immediate family, and they just couldn't get over how much DD looked and talked and moved like my mom. My brother had been moving some camera equipment, and when he joined us; the first words out of his mouth were, "It's like seeing Mom again!", which had us all in tears, since her death is still fresh.

The resemblance wouldn't have been so remarkable, except that we lived half a continent away from my parents, and it was a good year when we spent two weeks with them, and most of those years away, we didn't have Skype. Add to that, I'm more like my dad than like my mom, so seeing the resemblance was sad/sweet and a bit breath-taking.

What a seeet testimony to both your mom and your daughter. Congratulations on your daughter's wedding

• Like 1

Re: that uniform thing... I've teased my mom for years and swore I'd never do it. I never even noticed I own 4 Prana cali dresses (summer) and three identical fabletics sweatshirt dresses (winter) until this thread. Oops. No one tell my mom

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 3

I wear makeup every day because if I don’t, my dad’s eyes stare at me in the mirror. I have his red hair too, but as long as I don’t go bald and attempt a comb over, I’m good.

Let us know if you're ever tempted, and we'll stage an intervention.

Edited by Barb_

Re: that uniform thing... I've teased my mom for years and swore I'd never do it. I never even noticed I own 4 Prana cali dresses (summer) and three identical fabletics sweatshirt dresses (winter) until this thread. Oops. No one tell my mom

Ha!  You, too?   

It just dawned on me earlier this year why my mom liked her "shirtwaist" dresses so much and why she wore them year after year, long after they had gone out of style.  (It's too bad she didn't live to see them make a comeback as "retro" or "fit-and-flare" dresses.)   It's a great style for a slim, pear-shaped body type.

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 1

Ha! You, too?

It just dawned on me earlier this year why my mom liked her "shirtwaist" dresses so much and why she wore them year after year, long after they had gone out of style. (It's too bad she didn't live to see them make a comeback as "retro" or "fit-and-flare" dresses.) It's a great style for a slim, pear-shaped body type.

I had to google shirtwaist dress to recall what it was, and yes, so pretty. I can't imagine the hours of ironing when women wore them every day though--shudder. I'm so happy to have t-shirt dresses with built in bra pads.

• 6 months later...

I actually did have a chain for my glasses when I was working.   I need them to read anything these days but I can't wear them walking around because they make things fuzzy and throw off my balance.  So, I had a chain so I wouldn't run into a conference room to help my boss with something and then find I didn't have my glasses so couldn't see enough to do what I ran in there to do.   Now I have multiple pairs of glasses all over the place - in the car, a pair that stays in my purse, my "good" pair that is normally by my chair but I will put in my purse if I'm going to need them a lot, at my desk.  Most of them are cheap pairs that aren't perfect but work well enough.

I look a lot like my mother and brother when I'm over a certain amount overweight (which I have been for over 10 years now).  If I lose weight, the resemblance is less.

• 3 months later...
25 minutes ago, RBShibata said:

Hi there, many people are habitual of wearing glasses all the time. One of my friend wears wholesale sunglasses throughout the day, even inside the house. So, This year on his birthday, I gifted him wholesale designer sunglasses, which I bought from Some useful sites, as they are selling sunglasses in bulk.

Reported

When I was little EVERYONE I knew would say, "You look just like your dad." But my dad was an older (43 when I was born), bald man. I just ignored the comment and didn't understand.  He died when I was 13 and we moved, so nobody but my mom said it. Flash forward to me at 50 - I got out of the shower, short hair slicked back, and caught sight of myself in the mirror, and thought, "Oh NO! I DO look just like Dad!" That  was very disconcerting!  Now the things that come out of my mouth are my mom:)

I find that I forget how old I am (60) and when I catch sight of my reflection I am surprised.