Menu

lawsuit, baby powder and ovarian cancer

SparklyUnicorn

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/woman-wins-417-million-lawsuit-tying-baby-powder-ovarian-cancer-180964603/

I was so surprised when I heard this.  For those that don't already know, my mother died from ovarian cancer so of course I'm interested when I hear something about it in the news. 

So what do you think?

$417M is a lot of money.

Curious-do any of you powder your personal area? I know my Grandma did and my MIL does but I don't think we even own powder.

I agree.  It does sound like a lot of money.  

Never use it.  I'm not even sure I ever really used powder on my kids when they were little.  

Edited by Nemom
  • Like 1

I've never used it on babies for their bottoms because I figured breathing it in can't be great for anyone, but I recall using it as a child.

If it travels upward and inward, using a substitute like cornstarch wouldn't really help either, right?

I DO use powder about once a week on everyone now, because it removes sand from our feet!

I think it's definitely possible. I remember another woman's case from a couple years ago. She claimed J&J knew the problems it could cause in ovaries( as the article states, they found talc in ovaries in 1971) and purposefully marketed the product to black and Hispanic women decades ago. I remember the " a sprinkle a day..." commercial jingle.

I think that the truth is that they didn't say anything to anybody. My mom used it every day in the 60's and 70's, and I used it in my younger days (and we're white, for the most part.) I lived in Asia in the 80's and the women used it to lighten their skin.

I remember reading about the link between powder and ovarian cancer years ago. I've never used it, but I remember it being heavily advertised when I was a kid. "A sprinkle a day helps keep odor away, have you had your sprinkle today" - yuck!

Crap I remember that and now it's stuck in my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

How scary. I don't use it but dh uses that Gold Bond stuff. I don't know if that can cause issues. When ds was born the hospital confiscated the baby powder and said that we could not use it there because it is bad for baby's lungs. I never used it on my babies after that. I have used it in my hair on occasion (when I was leaving the house in a hurry and roots looked a little greasy). Yikes.

It's the talc particles that travels upward into the reproductive tract. Cornstarch is a safe alternative. I've never used powder on my babies, but I've used it on and off when pregnant during the summer to avoid "monkey butt"

I've never used it consistently, but enough that it worries me a little. I use cornstarch based powder now when needed. Talc should be fine as long as it isn't used near the vaginal opening. I don't believe inhaling it has been implicated in lung cancer, but that is a consideration.

• Like 1

It would never occur to me to use powder to remove sand. Is this your sandbox in your own yard? I would just use a hose if possible or a spray bottle and wipe feet in grass or a towel??

Powder is awesome for stripping wet sand right off :) Water can sometimes make sand stickier and then you've got wet kids to deal with. Sometimes the sand is all the way up the body. Some kids are sand magnets lol.

• Like 5

Powder is awesome for stripping wet sand right off :) Water can sometimes make sand stickier and then you've got wet kids to deal with. Sometimes the sand is all the way up the body. Some kids are sand magnets lol.

Yep, we keep a bottle of Johnsons Baby Powder (the one made with cornstarch) in the car. Love it at the beach to clean the kids feet and legs before getting in the car. Works great.

• Like 2

My mother used corn starch most as far back as I can remember. I know she stopped at some point but I don't know why. She said using baby powder wasn't healthy and told me never to use it. I never used either one. She had a hysterectomy when she was in her late 50's due to fibroids.

I had no idea that using powder for folks other than babies was a thing. I've never used it (even for babies) and neither did my mom.

Tmi, but in hot, humid climates bacteria and yeasts can grow in dark, sweaty crevices if you spend a lot of time outside of air conditioned buildings. Especially when you've got a hormonal thing like pregnancy or perimenopause going on. Is it a southern lady thing maybe?

• Like 2

Tmi, but in hot, humid climates bacteria and yeasts can grow in dark, sweaty crevices if you spend a lot of time outside of air conditioned buildings. Especially when you've got a hormonal thing like pregnancy or perimenopause going on. Is it a southern lady thing maybe?

DH works out in the heat a lot and uses it to prevent what he calls "jungle rot." 😂

• Like 2

Anecdotal. I've used Gold Bond on the nethers for super hot days, like the recent heat wave we are in, only because dh prefers it and we have it on hand at home. I have also used cornstarch from time to time. Look up Gold Bond's ingredients, oh hai talc. Sigh. We didn't use talc on the kids. I remember the Shower to Shower commercials. But my mom only used it on her body.

I guess it's back to cornstarch for me.

DH works out in the heat a lot and uses it to prevent what he calls "jungle rot." 😂

Yes, I have heard of guys using it as well.

I have never used it on my ds on myself but I had heard about the talcum powder connection to increased incidents of ovarian cancer a couple of years ago.

I suppose perspiring a little is healthier.

I don't think any of the females in my family used it (didn't grown up in the South, though) but I had a boss that I believe used it because I saw remnants of baby powder like by the cuff of her pants or something. My family was very particular about products, though. Dad made us bathe with a Shaklee soap (Basic H) sometime after sister had a bad reaction to bubble bath. These days I use stuff like the white Dove.

I don't use those products, but I can see why people do. It's so hot and humid here. I feel like I need to shower if I just go outside for a short while. Last week I insisted on showering after taking out the trash lol

• Like 1

Maybe! It reminds me of a quote from To Kill a Mockingbird:

“Somehow, it was hotter then: a black dog suffered on a summer's day; bony mules hitched to Hoover carts flicked flies in the sweltering shade of the live oaks on the square. Men's stiff collars wilted by nine in the morning. Ladies bathed before noon, after their three o'clock naps, and by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frostings of sweat and sweet talcum.â€

My grandma used "dusting powder" all the time instead of antiperspirant.

I remember my mom sprinkling baby powder on us after our baths in the summer. We didn't have central air at the time. I'm thinking maybe it was to prevent what we called "prickly heat" rash.

I knew about the cancer link years ago and have never used talcum powder on my daughter. 

Hugs to all who have lost loved ones and who have suffered themselves.  :grouphug:

• Like 3

Aren't you just gonna make glue when you sweat?

• Like 2