Menu

Houston area people...check in if you can

Liz CA

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are not in Houston proper, but about 30 miles southwest of the suburbs. Things are very wet (over thirteen inches of rain at this point and counting), but we still have power and drinkable water for now. Tornadoes are a real concern as we've already had two tornado warnings overnight. We are spared the horrific flooding that's happening in Houston right now though. I believe our turn will happen later this week when the river here in town is projected to flood more than it has ever flooded since records were kept of these things. Lots of people will lose their homes and possessions in the flood, but hopefully not any lives. The city has been very good about keeping us all informed and helping to evacuate those in known danger to a makeshift shelter here in town.

• Like 23

My husband travels to Houston regularly, thankfully not this week. My family in that area is all safe, I haven't heard about his coworkers yet. The pictures are awful, there is just no where for the water to go.

Edited by Rach
  • Like 6

My husband travels to Houston regularly, thankfully not this week. My family in that area is all safe, I haven't heard about his coworkers yet. The pictures are awful, there is just no where for the water to go.

Exactly. It's basically a big bowl bisected with bayous and waterways. It's so sad and no one had a clue it would be this bad.

Harvey is turning out to be one unpredictable guy.

• Like 3

It's never been this bad. We have been thankfully spared in Copperfield on the northwest side. all our roads our dry and bayous are fine. We will see if that continues. There was a tornado down the street from my house! 

The city government, national guard, coast guard, everyone is really doing an excellent job in such awful circumstances. 

• Like 14

We're in a suburb southwest of Houston proper, and like Chelli, the bigger concern for us will be when the rivers crest later this week. Our neighborhood stayed dry in last year's and the prior year's historic 100 yr/500 yr floods, so we ought to probably be okay....except last year and the year before were just from rain upriver, this time we have torrential rain (we're around 15" to 18" at my house) first, before the river crests, so.....we'll see. 

Right now, my neighborhood is dry, and we still have one route to grocery stores, etc, should we need it. The road in/out of our neighborhood is currently not under water, but the water in fields/ditches alongside is starting to come over the road, and the rain is still coming. 

Our actual street fills while it rains, and so far has gone down each time. Some puddles in our yard, but not a lot. Currently pouring, though, and lots more expected tonight again.

All the school districts around me have cancelled for the week, with plans not to open until after the Labor Day holiday, and the emergency service is saying that when the river crests, that water could stay at "high levels" for up to a month before it goes totally down. Now, that is not super likely to impact me directly as far as my house, but will cover various routes we take places, and of course devastate huge numbers of people, for whom this is the 3rd "record breaking" flood in three years. 

Our city is doing a good job of keeping folks informed, helping folks get out before they get flooded in, etc. A sinkhole opened in the road alongside our main grocery store, but luckily is not the only access to that store, so while that particular road is unpassable, it doesn't cut people off from getting in/out of the store, should they need to restock (if their route to the store is not under water yet). 

Please keep the area in your prayers; it's HUGE. Both in the literal "covers an enormous area" sense, and in the "of enormous significance" sense. For everyone, of course, but my heart really aches for those near the various rivers that are literally facing their 3rd "100 yr/500 yr" flood event in 3 years. And of course hoping we don't find out that the combo of Harvey's rain + flooding rivers makes us one of the neighborhoods dealing with it. 

• Like 15

My parents are in a suburb south of Houston, and my sister is in the southern part of Houston. My sister is doing fine, but I'm starting to worry about my parents. They've never flooded before, and are on locally high ground - usually we figure they might be flooded in but not flooded out. And they are definitely on the path to being flooded in. (On Dad's last trip to check how the local drainage ditches are doing, he couldn't get close enough to see because of water on the road.). And with everything around them flooding worse than I've ever seen - the nearby creek is hitting record-setting heights - I'm starting to worry that they really could get water in the house if the rain doesn't stop.

We're in a suburb southwest of Houston proper, and like Chelli, the bigger concern for us will be when the rivers crest later this week. Our neighborhood stayed dry in last year's and the prior year's historic 100 yr/500 yr floods, so we ought to probably be okay....except last year and the year before were just from rain upriver, this time we have torrential rain (we're around 15" to 18" at my house) first, before the river crests, so.....we'll see.

The town just south of my parents is like this - the local bayou tend to overflow a few days after the rain when all the water flows downstream. Except that the bayou's *already* well out of its banks just from the rain in the area - city officials have said the town is mostly underwater. What's going to happen when all the water from upstream gets there?
  • Like 4

NW burbs of Houston (cross post) (just up road from Sk8ermaiden)

It has been a stressful, stressful couple of days. And we are safe. And dry. And stocked. And have electricity. And a thousand times better than millions of people in Texas right now. We have one HEB in our neighborhood that has remained open.  Everything else is closed.  Everything.  Streets on the edges of our subdivision are flooded and pretty much impassable.  We can get on highway BUT no way to know if you can turn around to come back since most service roads and underpasses are flooded. So, we just hanging out at home, keeping things charged.  Our business will be open tomorrow since we service customers all over the country.  So electricity and internet/cell is critical to us.  We've got back up plans B-Z.   :)  I suspect we will be investing in an all-house generator next year.

Our family that was in the direct path of Harvey (Victoria) made it through with minimal damage (relatively speaking). So very, very thankful.

Houston family are all safe, dry, at home and hopefully stay that way.

Beach house on Bolivar unscathed while 3 other houses burned to the ground.

Some perspective:
Memorial Day 2015 Flood
162 billion gallons
Tax Day 2016 Flood
240 billion gallons
Harvey 2017
340-370 billion gallons in 48 hours with more to come

many, many trillions of gallons with more coming, plus all the water from upstream Texas

Our own "adventure" yesterday included 5 tornados within 5 miles of us (2 while away from home with no shelter), 1 broke toe (and I did the splits...for the first time in 20 years), and an overflowing pool with all drainage backed up in the dark (bailing water with buckets in pouring rain fully clothed in tennis shoes standing in pool). It was crazy and stressful and educational and cold and wet. But we laughed at the end of the day or rather middle of the night. We are blessed.

I wish we could help those needing it. I wish we were equipped better to aid them. But we will certainly look for opportunities to help in the aftermath. 

Texas is tough! 🤠 The can-do, survivor attitude has just been amazing. So proud of my community. 

Edited by aggie96
  • Like 19

I just saw a horrendous photograph of some elderly people in a nursing home sitting waist deep in water!! Does anyone know if that really happened. It's too horrible to think it really did.happen!

Looks like it could be real :( - here's an article from the county newspaper about evacuating an assisted living facility, that leads off with a photo that sounds like what you describe: http://www.galvnews.com/news/free/article_e1ffff8e-435d-5c78-ab46-57d6bc7dc6a5.html Edited by forty-two
  • Like 2

I just saw a horrendous photograph of some elderly people in a nursing home sitting waist deep in water!! Does anyone know if that really happened. It's too horrible to think it really did.happen!

Local news said that a relative of one of the residents took that picture.  They reported that shortly thereafter, the residents were evacuated.  Tricky because until water transportation arrives, people have to just hang tight.  I suspect the elderly in that situation did not have had a second story or dry outside spot or were able to stand for long in water or risk trying to swim, etc.  That situation was particularly disturbing.  :(

• Like 4

Looks like it could be real :( - here's an article from the county newspaper about evacuating an assisted living facility, that leads off with a photo that sounds like what you describe: http://www.galvnews.com/news/free/article_e1ffff8e-435d-5c78-ab46-57d6bc7dc6a5.html

Yes that was the photo I saw. Those poor people! I'm so sorry for all who are having to go through this terrible storm.  :crying:

• Like 2

NW Houston here. We are safe, dry, Have power and water for now. We have been keeping the kids calm and reassuring my dh's family overseas that we are ok so far. It's just insane.

I saw it as well. It does say though that all of them have been evacuated now and are safe. Those poor people. It's hard enough when you are able-bodied but being elderly and some in wheelchairs...

• Like 1

We drove in to our NW Houston suburb from FL this morning. We had to turn around several times because of high water on the roads several times. It took us an extra three hours to get from Baytown to our home, but we made it safely. This afternoon we made it just in time to get groceries before the store closed. All the lakes are overflowing in our area, but we are dry for now. I fully expect to have water in the house in the next few days.

• Like 3

I saw it as well. It does say though that all of them have been evacuated now and are safe. Those poor people. It's hard enough when you are able-bodied but being elderly and some in wheelchairs...

I keep thinking about the risk of infection with all that dirty water 😟

Thoughts with all of the people affected

• Like 3

It's never been this bad. We have been thankfully spared in Copperfield on the northwest side. all our roads our dry and bayous are fine. We will see if that continues. There was a tornado down the street from my house!

The city government, national guard, coast guard, everyone is really doing an excellent job in such awful circumstances.

We used to live right by Copperfield. I had no idea so many WTMers were in this area.

NW burbs of Houston (cross post) (just up road from Sk8ermaiden)

It has been a stressful, stressful couple of days. And we are safe. And dry. And stocked. And have electricity. And a thousand times better than millions of people in Texas right now. We have one HEB in our neighborhood that has remained open. Everything else is closed. Everything. Streets on the edges of our subdivision are flooded and pretty much impassable. We can get on highway BUT no way to know if you can turn around to come back since most service roads and underpasses are flooded. So, we just hanging out at home, keeping things charged. Our business will be open tomorrow since we service customers all over the country. So electricity and internet/cell is critical to us. We've got back up plans B-Z. :) I suspect we will be investing in an all-house generator next year.

Our family that was in the direct path of Harvey (Victoria) made it through with minimal damage (relatively speaking). So very, very thankful.

Houston family are all safe, dry, at home and hopefully stay that way.

Beach house on Bolivar unscathed while 3 other houses burned to the ground.

Some perspective:

Memorial Day 2015 Flood

162 billion gallons

Tax Day 2016 Flood

240 billion gallons

Harvey 2017

340-370 billion gallons in 48 hours with more to come

Our own "adventure" yesterday included 5 tornados within 5 miles of us (2 while away from home with no shelter), 1 broke toe (and I did the splits...for the first time in 20 years), and an overflowing pool with all drainage backed up in the dark (bailing water with buckets in pouring rain fully clothed in tennis shoes standing in pool). It was crazy and stressful and educational and cold and wet. But we laughed at the end of the day or rather middle of the night. We are blessed.

I wish we could help those needing it. I wish we were equipped better to aid them. But we will certainly look for opportunities to help in the aftermath.

Texas is tough! 🤠 The can-do, survivor attitude has just been amazing. So proud of my community.

Hope you feel better. One of those tornadoes took down a house we were building. Thankfully it was only in the framing stage. I too am impressed by our community.

• Like 3

This is so sad! I'm glad to hear they've been evacuated. I've seen many pictures of people on their roofs waiting for help. It's incredible the amount of rain that has fallen.

Well, the hits just keep on coming.

They are opening the reservoirs in a couple of places because of the extreme pressure/damage to the dams.  They are releasing 50,000 cubic feet of water along the Trinity River in Liberty county.  They are advising that people must shelter in place but to go to second possible third stories because it is too dangerous to move after dark.  They are also needing to open the Addicks Reservoir.

Y'all, this is super bad.  Rain is still coming down in buckets in several areas  Steady tornado warnings for hours.  Bad, bad, bad.  Super nasty cell hitting for next 2-3 hours...again.   :(  1.5-3" of rain PER hour.

HEB is doing great things.  Lots of trucks coming in to restock.  Lots of trucks with their mobile kitchens in Victoria feeding everyone.  Gallery Furniture (huge upscale furniture store) owner opened his furniture stores to be used as shelter.  Can you imagine?  County hospital being evacuated.  MD Anderson taking on water.  Yuck, yuck, yuck.  More places opening up as shelters but no supplies there.  And those of us that aren't under water and could help can't get to them without a freakin' boat.   :(

It's going to be a long, horrifying night.

ETA: Addicks is releasing approx 2am tonight.  Barker release approx 24hr later.  1000+ homes upstream on edge will be effected (affected?).  Areas downstream?  Just more.  Hard to imagine.    Watch out in those areas.  Website with info has crashed due to traffic.  Channel 13 just had great report on it with maps.  Also, the Army Corp Engineers has never done this while the reservoirs continue to gain volume.  God help them.

Edited by aggie96
  • Like 8

They are opening the reservoirs in a couple of places because of the extreme pressure/damage to the dams. They are releasing 50,000 cubic feet of water along the Trinity River in Liberty county. They are advising that people must shelter in place but to go to second possible third stories because it is too dangerous to move after dark. They are also needing to open the Addicks Reservoir.

Y'all, this is super bad. Rain is still coming down in buckets in several areas Steady tornado warnings for hours. Bad, bad, bad. Super nasty cell hitting for next 2-3 hours...again. :( 1.5-3" of rain PER hour.

HEB is doing great things. Lots of trucks coming in to restock. Lots of trucks with their mobile kitchens in Victoria feeding everyone. Gallery Furniture (huge upscale furniture store) owner opened his furniture stores to be used as shelter. Can you imagine? County hospital being evacuated. MD Anderson taking on water. Yuck, yuck, yuck. More places opening up as shelters but no supplies there. And those of us that aren't under water and could help can't get to them without a freakin' boat. :(

Cannot imagine. Hugs. Please know many people are holding all of you in their thoughts. Stay safe.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 2

It's very frustrating not being able to help.  Although we may be having to rescue in-laws.  Water is uncomfortably close to their house.  They are independent but in late 70's without most robust health.  If you see giant hole in highway pic that keeps circulating on news, that is at the entrance to their retirement community.  There is a back entrance but that area is quite flooded and close to a river.  We are hoping that it holds until daylight.

Edited by aggie96
  • Like 3

It's very frustrating not being able to help.  Although we may be having to rescue in-laws.  Water is uncomfortably close to their house.  They are independent but in late 70's without most robust health.  If you see giant hole in highway pic that keeps circulating on news, that is at the entrance to their retirement community.  There is a back entrance but that area is quite flooded and close to a river.  We are hoping that it holds until daylight.

If it's the photo I am thinking of, that's very near me. We've had a several hour lull in the rain, and radar shows a clear area for us for the night ahead (assuming current radar projections remain accurate) so they should be okay until morning for sure....but roads to get to/from are not so great so if you do try to come....be careful. 

I'll keep them in my thoughts/prayers; this whole thing just sucks. I feel bad, 'cause our area is doing so much better than so many others, yet everyone is incredibly on edge b/c of the rivers, wondering what "five more feet than last year" is going to do.....

• Like 3

If it's the photo I am thinking of, that's very near me. We've had a several hour lull in the rain, and radar shows a clear area for us for the night ahead (assuming current radar projections remain accurate) so they should be okay until morning for sure....but roads to get to/from are not so great so if you do try to come....be careful. 

I'll keep them in my thoughts/prayers; this whole thing just sucks. I feel bad, 'cause our area is doing so much better than so many others, yet everyone is incredibly on edge b/c of the rivers, wondering what "five more feet than last year" is going to do.....

Thank you for the info!  Y'all stay safe.

• Like 2

They are opening the reservoirs in a couple of places because of the extreme pressure/damage to the dams. They are releasing 50,000 cubic feet of water along the Trinity River in Liberty county. They are advising that people must shelter in place but to go to second possible third stories because it is too dangerous to move after dark. They are also needing to open the Addicks Reservoir.

Y'all, this is super bad. Rain is still coming down in buckets in several areas Steady tornado warnings for hours. Bad, bad, bad. Super nasty cell hitting for next 2-3 hours...again. :( 1.5-3" of rain PER hour.

HEB is doing great things. Lots of trucks coming in to restock. Lots of trucks with their mobile kitchens in Victoria feeding everyone. Gallery Furniture (huge upscale furniture store) owner opened his furniture stores to be used as shelter. Can you imagine? County hospital being evacuated. MD Anderson taking on water. Yuck, yuck, yuck. More places opening up as shelters but no supplies there. And those of us that aren't under water and could help can't get to them without a freakin' boat. :(

ETA: Addicks is releasing approx 2am tonight. Barker release approx 24hr later. 1000+ homes upstream on edge will be effected (affected?). Areas downstream? Just more. Hard to imagine. Watch out in those areas. Website with info has crashed due to traffic. Channel 13 just had great report on it with maps. Also, the Army Corp Engineers has never done this while the reservoirs continue to gain volume. God help them.

Regarding the dams, I read this on the Space City Weather blog:

"It seems probable that some homes near Clay Road and Eldridge, and in the vicinity of the Westpark Toll Road and Highway 99 will see water remain in homes for up to two months. That is not a misprint."

I cannot fathom having my home under water for months. My heart breaks for everyone affected.

• Like 3

We live in Houston proper but currently in Dallas. House still dry and with power according to the neighbors but about 3 feet of water in the road, water up to the sidewalks. Praying it somehow manages to absorb more tonight without going in the house. Roof/helicopter/coast guard rescues within minutes of our house. People still trapped in attics waiting to be rescued. We've gotten about 21 inches in the last 2.5 days with more to come. I'm

thankful we're safe but hate not being there to try and rescue our things (but really what would we do with them? Can't get out of the neighborhood.) So we wait and watch and pray for the rain to pass. And such concern for these reservoirs and what will happen when they're released.

• Like 4

We live in Houston proper but currently in Dallas. House still dry and with power according to the neighbors but about 3 feet of water in the road, water up to the sidewalks. Praying it somehow manages to absorb more tonight without going in the house. Roof/helicopter/coast guard rescues within minutes of our house. People still trapped in attics waiting to be rescued. We've gotten about 21 inches in the last 2.5 days with more to come. I'm

thankful we're safe but hate not being there to try and rescue our things (but really what would we do with them? Can't get out of the neighborhood.) So we wait and watch and pray for the rain to pass. And such concern for these reservoirs and what will happen when they're released.

Hope everyone is safe and rain stops soon. How is dallas? We are in Memphis now traveling to dallas tomorrow.

• Like 1

Grand pkwy behind my neighborhood is flooded almost to the top. It's functioning as designed to have the water from the feeders flow into the underpass. Creek on other side closer to Tomball is over it's banks. We have water in two tubs as the water treatment plant will likely be flooded tonight.

My whole family both here in the US and the U.K. are praying. It's just beyond jaw dropping. The damages are beyond imagination.

Any projections for the water subsiding after the rain stops? I don't have news channels.

Does anyone know what The Heights is like in terms of flooding and power? The area lost power but was not flooded in Ike. But this seems so much worse.

ETA

I am not in TX, but have relatives there. I last spoke Saturday morning, no contact since then.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

Grand pkwy behind my neighborhood is flooded almost to the top. It's functioning as designed to have the water from the feeders flow into the underpass. Creek on other side closer to Tomball is over it's banks. We have water in two tubs as the water treatment plant will likely be flooded tonight.

My whole family both here in the US and the U.K. are praying. It's just beyond jaw dropping. The damages are beyond imagination.

Any projections for the water subsiding after the rain stops? I don't have news channels.

Does this help? http://m.chron.com/news/houston-weather/article/NOAA-graphs-Harvey-Houston-flood-bayous-12016047.php
  • Like 1

As for projections, I just read this damage, according to one insurer, is on par with Katrina.

As for water, you can use the water in your toilet tanks too (once boiled). And your hot water heater has water in it...you just have to access it. If it's still raining, you could collect falling rain water and boil that.

Much of the country is coming together for you all!

• Like 1

Does anyone know what The Heights is like in terms of flooding and power? The area lost power but was not flooded in Ike. But this seems so much worse.

ETA

I am not in TX, but have relatives there. I last spoke Saturday morning, no contact since then.

I don't live in Houston, but I have family there and I'm getting updates. It depends upon what area of the Heights. Near Yale and 1-10, the bayou overflowed and flooded the intersection. Heights Blvd is flooded but I haven't heard if water is in any homes..

• Like 2

I have several relatives right along the gulf freeway on the SE side. 2 had water all around their houses all day, but hoped the rain break they had earlier today would help. I was wanting them to try to evacuate before the next round of rain. They don't think the waters will rise to their houses, but I am not confident in their confidence that they will be fine. Also, they said they have no where to go. One had water seeping into her garage this morning and buckets catching rain through leaks in her roof. I see now on the radar the heavy rain and severe storms that was on the west side a few hours ago is coming back their way and plans to pound down on them the next several hours. I called my 92 yo grandma who is stuck on the 6th floor of a retirement highrise--I think they are on generator power and the elevators are not working. She isn't flooded yet, but is just a few exits north of the Sam Houston Tollway/Gulf Freeway area where so many were rescued earlier today. The cellphone signal was very sketchy on her end, but she said she was fine. She has lived through countless storms, including Rita in the early 60s (???). She told me she has never seen so much rain in her whole life as Houston is having right now!!!

I wonder how the Katy area is doing now. Earlier today, my cousin said they were all dry on that side, but a couple hours later I saw they were getting pounded hard.

I was a bit uneasy sleeping last night knowing those closer to the hurricane area were in for a another night of heavy storms. I did not know until I woke up that Houston was starting to flood. Tonight I will likely sleep less not knowing what will happen in Houston overnight.

I have friends down in that area, and relatives; the problem with evacuating...there is no way out right now. They aren't lying when they say they have no where to go....there's no way to get anywhere. News was broadcasting from standing in the middle of 45 down there, which was safe because even it is under water on one side, and all the side roads, feeder roads/access roads are under water, and the residential roads......they really are safer in their house, as uncomfortable as that is. 

Praying for them, though; it seriously sucks. 

Katy is fine except for the areas near the dams that they released; those folks had to evacuate last night middle of the night. 

• Like 5