Menu

I'm over the eclipse

Moxie

"On Monday, they will have to contend with the solar eclipse that fire officials say will ground all firefighting helicopters and most fixed-wing aircraft for about 35 minutes as the moon’s shadow passes over the area.

Officials said only aircraft with instruments allowing them to fly at night can fight the fire during the eclipse. Clark said that eliminates the bulk of the firefighting fleet, though large air tankers will be able to fly." http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/19/oregon-wildfire-forces-evacuations-in-prime-eclipse-zone/

So firefighters are affected by the eclipse.

"SISTERS, Ore. (AP) — Evacuation orders affecting hundreds of people were issued in California and Oregon as wildfires neared small towns, including one that’s a prime location for viewing the eclipse.

About 600 residents were told to leave the tourist town of Sisters, Oregon, and authorities said Saturday another 1,000 people had been told to be ready to leave if necessary.

Sisters is located on the edge of a 70-mile swath of the state where the moon will completely blot out the sun." quoted from same source

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

We live in one of the places with the longest totality.  I am SO over it.  We've been warned to expect nearly a half a million people in town, there were ZERO rental cars in our state for DH to rent for a business trip, we MUST get all our gas and groceries before the end of the day today or we may run out...blah, blah, blah.  It's almost as bad as when they predict a half inch of snow down here.  :laugh:

I bought eclipse glasses about a month ago (and they are legit), but the mad scramble for last minute glasses may be more fascinating to watch than the actual eclipse.  Several businesses (and one very prestigious university) handed out fake glasses by mistake.  The only thing on ocial media anyone is talking about is eclipse glasses.   People are lining up for HOURS at businesses who have them for sale.  They are the new Cabbage Patch kids for the eyes.

I DO think the actual eclipse will be kind of cool to see.  But all the ruckus around it here is making me a little crazy.  

My brother was driving through there this week and said the billboards alone made him sick of it. 

This is a great idea. Why haven't I heard this before now? I think I'll test this and if I like it I'll scrap my binocular projection plans.

I'm not getting too attached to the idea of seeing anything. I'm not near totality and it rains here every day.

I would look into your specific device because some can be damaged photographing/filming the sun. 

• Like 2

I would look into your specific device because some can be damaged photographing/filming the sun.

I've decided it won't work anyway because you'd just be blinded by glare and see nothing. I'll just do a binoculars projection, or use my fingers if I get lazy. I'm jot in totality and it rains every day anyway.

Mommy Wars Update: Apparently good mothers won't be watching the eclipse at all but will be watching their kids the whole time. It seems all of the glasses are adult sized, won't fit kids right, and you're supposed to watch them to make sure they don't peek around because of the size or because they get bored with the very filtered image and want to peek at the real one.

The BEST mothers will lock their kids in a windowless room until it's over and locking the fur babies in with them.

• Like 6

My "mommy war" is that I learned one of my good friends - whose two sons are the age of mine, all good friends - has decided that the 99% in our town is good enough. Both of her sons complained to me independently. My DH and sons are going to drive an hour into the deep dark of totality. I'm about to call her and say, Hey, can A & B come with us? I don't want to make her into bad guy here, but it is sort of logical to include the two guys whom everyone calls my "extra kids."

Why wouldn't 99% be good enough? :confused:

• Like 7

We are only at about 70% area. My son (who loves astronomy) is in the middle of a canoe trip. I have no idea if there are plans or anything being done about the eclipse or if the councilors know anything.... and I didn't even warn him about looking at it before he left.... so now I'm worried. I think the likelihood is he will just miss the whole thing. Maybe they will have something to do pinhole projectors....

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I did laugh when I saw the FB post going around about leaving your pets inside. What about the wild animals? Are great numbers of wild animals going to go blind? It's just hilarious. The universe has been doing this for how long?

In 1984 our teachers took us outside to see the eclipse. They of course told us not to look at the sun. We of course did take peeks at the sun. Whatever. I'm at a 99% location. I plan to be outside for several hours. I'm kind of excited and it's going to be fun!

I don't have pets, but I'd argue that wild animals have better instincts than domicile pets.

I don't get the hate about mom's wanting to keep their kids safe? Is the general consensus that it's not dangerous? I feel like I'm missing something.

The idea is that people should trust that all decent people are concerned about their own children's we'll being. When we hear that someone has made a different choice than we have, we shouldn't respond with something like, "I care too much about my child to do that" or, "please don't ruin your child's life that way." Or anything else that implies that our way of doing things is the only right way and those who disagree are simply idiots or uneducated.

In this case, there are lots of safe ways to experience the eclipse. Some of these ways wouldn't work for various families for whatever reason. Facebook, however, is full of dire warnings to any mother who would let her child outside and risk being blinded.

I think part of the issue is that authorities did a really good job staying the importance of eclipse glasses, but now a lot of people think you need them at all times if you are outside during the eclipse, as though the sun becomes more powerful.

• Like 6

I'm completely willing to own my paranoia about the efficacy of eclipse glasses and not judge any parent who decides to trust the glasses.

We're watching the NASA live feed, then going outside at the moment of greatest coverage to see how dark everything is. No looking directly at the sun even with glasses.

• Like 1

I'm just over here thinking, "An eclipse? That's cool! It'll go well with our astronomy study. Glasses? I guess we'll make shoebox pinhole viewers today. I'm not going on an all out search for the elusive eclipse glasses."

ETA: Thanks, Kinsa, now I have that song stuck in my head!

Edited by mom2scouts

When I started seeing news stories warning people to put eclipse glasses on their pets I threw in the towel. I just want the event over. 

I was in 3rd grade during the 1970 eclipse and attending Catholic school. I clearly recall the nuns handing each of us a piece of glass and lighting candles so we could smoke the glass. Then they took us outside to watch the eclipse.  I remember all that but don't recall being especially wowed by the actual eclipse. 

Were there mommy wars in 1970? Probably so but I don't think my mom had the inclination to care enough to get involved in them. 

I found an article talking about the 1918 eclipse which told people "to get your smoked glass ready..." so thanks to you I know what it meant.  

It also mentioned the next eclipse of this nature would be coming around August 21, 2017.

• Like 1

"On Monday, they will have to contend with the solar eclipse that fire officials say will ground all firefighting helicopters and most fixed-wing aircraft for about 35 minutes as the moon’s shadow passes over the area.

Officials said only aircraft with instruments allowing them to fly at night can fight the fire during the eclipse. Clark said that eliminates the bulk of the firefighting fleet, though large air tankers will be able to fly." http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/19/oregon-wildfire-forces-evacuations-in-prime-eclipse-zone/

So firefighters are affected by the eclipse.

"SISTERS, Ore. (AP) — Evacuation orders affecting hundreds of people were issued in California and Oregon as wildfires neared small towns, including one that’s a prime location for viewing the eclipse.

About 600 residents were told to leave the tourist town of Sisters, Oregon, and authorities said Saturday another 1,000 people had been told to be ready to leave if necessary.

Sisters is located on the edge of a 70-mile swath of the state where the moon will completely blot out the sun." quoted from same source

Firefighters could also be affected by traffic and more calls to respond to.

We are not in an evacuation order area, but are in a nearby high fire danger area of Oregon.

The air has been hazy / smoky on and off for weeks already. Crowds of people potentially in party mentality (or even mob mentality if something triggers that), possibly high on pot, alcohol (this is a marijuana legal state and pot shops seem to outnumber food stores), or other things, possibly trying to drive off-road for a good spot and having a spark come out of vehicle, possibly starting camp fires, BBQing, dropping cigarettes,  concerns me.  There are fire danger warning signs, saying no BBQ, no fire pits, etc. etc.,  but some people seem to be violating that.

Why wouldn't 99% be good enough? :confused:

Why your 99% could be a total bummer article

From the article:

A partial eclipse that covers 99.9 percent of the sun’s surface will be still be 1,000 times brighter than a full moon.

“Even at 99.9 percent, you do not get to see the corona. You do not get to see the stars, all of that. The sun is just so bright.â€

The notion that the Aug. 21 total solar is just a different version of the more common partial or annular eclipses that people remember from childhood is a major impediment to understanding its significance.

“Every single program I do, that is the hurdle I have to get over,†she said. “I say to people, ‘You have to forget that hole you punched in the box and projected on the other side.’ People have that in their heads that that’s all this experience is going to be. They’re so very, very wrong.â€

Speck and Beucher [professor of astronomy and vice president of astronomy association] tend toward what seems like hyperbole in describing a total solar eclipse. Both insist they are not exaggerating what it is like to see the blackness of the black hole that the eclipse creates, surrounded by the sun’s silvery corona.

Edited by thessa516
  • Like 4

because you won't see the corona

Why your 99% could be a total bummer article

From the article:

A partial eclipse that covers 99.9 percent of the sun’s surface will be still be 1,000 times brighter than a full moon.[/size]

“Even at 99.9 percent, you do not get to see the corona. You do not get to see the stars, all of that. The sun is just so bright.â€[/size]

The notion that the Aug. 21 total solar is just a different version of the more common partial or annular eclipses that people remember from childhood is a major impediment to understanding its significance.[/size]

“Every single program I do, that is the hurdle I have to get over,†she said. “I say to people, ‘You have to forget that hole you punched in the box and projected on the other side.’ People have that in their heads that that’s all this experience is going to be. They’re so very, very wrong.â€

Speck and Beucher [professor of astronomy and vice president of astronomy association] tend toward what seems like hyperbole in describing a total solar eclipse. Both insist they are not exaggerating what it is like to see the blackness of the black hole that the eclipse creates, surrounded by the sun’s silvery corona.

Thanks. :) I have read the articles, but if I could see 99% coverage from my back yard, I wouldn't be willing to drive an hour or two away to get to 100%. I can understand those boys wanting to see the 100% coverage, but I can also understand why their mom feels that 99% is good enough.

• Like 6

I don't get the hate about mom's wanting to keep their kids safe? Is the general consensus that it's not dangerous? I feel like I'm missing something.

Hate isn't the word I'd use.   Silent eyeroll where no one can see, more like.   

I'd sum it up by saying it makes me think of the Bradbury story where the kid was locked in the closet during the once-in-a-lifetime event.  

Thanks. :) I have read the articles, but if I could see 99% coverage from my back yard, I wouldn't be willing to drive an hour or two away to get to 100%. I can understand those boys wanting to see the 100% coverage, but I can also understand why their mom feels that 99% is good enough.

Yep. Can you rewatch the footage later? I might tell my kids to go inside and rewatch the footage later to see the 100% :lol:

• Like 1

Hate isn't the word I'd use. Silent eyeroll where no one can see, more like.

I'd sum it up by saying it makes me think of the Bradbury story where the kid was locked in the closet during the once-in-a-lifetime event.

I meant hate in the slang "haters" kinda way, not that anyone actually hates neurotic moms.

I think I missed that there was a "sancti-mommy" situation. I shared an article from an optometrist saying to watch it on tv, but I didn't prophesize country-wide blindness.

My kids aren't watching it outside. We are going to the science center and watching the NASA feed.

I didn't have enough urgency to get the proper glasses in time and also I was too lazy.

Just as I predicted in my earlier post  people are calling 911 about the "explosions" that are sonic boom tests. And the eclipse hasn't even started yet here.

I think this link works.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FFloridaNewsService%2Fposts%2F2055821391298475&width=500"width="500" height="162" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

<snip>

What is in an eclipse watching kit for $45 you ask?

1 pr eclipse glasses

1 moon pie

1 pkg eclipse gum

1 Sunny D drink 

1 printed handout from the NASA website about the eclipse

<snip>

Amber in SJ

Dh's Eclipse Kit was a bottle of Oberon beer (a large sun on the label) and a bottle of Blue Moon.  Not really suitable for children. :laugh: . 

• Like 1