Menu

TMI warning........the "trots" after eating out

Ottakee

I never remember this from when I was younger but quite often now when I go out to eat I get the "trots" 20-60 minutes after we finish the meal.

I never get it after McDonalds or BK or Wendy but sometimes (but not always) after Taco Bell and Culver's. Quite often after pizza places but it happens even more high end restaurants....might be the lettuce/salads there.

We are going on vacation next month and will need to eat along the way on the drive but I obviously don't want a problem but would rather eat "healthier" or more local places than fast food chains but I hate the thought of needing to stop urgently just 20-60 minutes down the road.

Same thing while we are staying in one city. We will eat 2 meals a day at the condo but we do want to try some local favorites, etc.

Any hints for me? DH and kids are not affected and like I said McDonalds and BK don't affect me and you would think those would.

If you don't think it is a difference in the food you are eating, is it possible at higher end places you drink something different?  I guess I would try to think through specific times that you have had a problem and try to figure out the common theme so you can avoid those types of foods.

Have you tried taking a pepto bismol tablet after you eat? 

I'm surprised you have that problem with Culver's but not McDonald's.  What kind of things do you eat? Is it possible you're eating significantly more fat when you eat at those places? That would upset my stomach....like a double butter burger and curds would not settle well with me but a kids hamburger and mashed potatoes settles nicely. 

I feel for you- we've worked really hard to eliminate fast food when traveling because we felt so bloated and blah.  That feeling sucks the fun out of a trip. 

I used to have problems when I ate in a restaurant, but not when I ate the leftovers at home.   :confused:   We figured out that I was reacting to the soda that I was drinking, so I started ordering water and the problem stopped.  Years later I found out that I'm allergic to limes, so lemon-lime soda (Sprite, etc.) was the culprit.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1

I have this problem frequently when eating out. For me, I think it's the richness of the food at restaurants compared to what I'm used to eating. Something that helps me is to order light food - bagel w/ veggies or a baked potato. 

I keep a bottle of Pepto pills in my car that I can take if I think I might get ill. They help a ton. 

For car rides, I pack food. PB&J's, cheese sticks, cut up fruit and veggies, almonds, popcorn. Easy things to eat that won't affect my belly.

• Like 1

I used to have problems when I ate in a restaurant, but not when I ate the leftovers at home. :confused: We figured out that I was reacting to the soda that I was drinking, so I started ordering water and the problem stopped. Years later I found out that I'm allergic to limes, so lemon-lime soda (Sprite, etc.) was the culprit.

Same here except it was root beer.

I would look at what you are eating and see if there is an ingredient that is bothering you. It could also be an additive you don't tolerate.

• Like 3

I have this problem, and I think it's because I have a drinking problem.

I don't drink alcohol, but I love a nice cold drink, with ice, that someone else brings to me.  So, if I go to a sit down restaurant, I drink and drink.  Like I sit down, they bring me water.  I finish it.  Then the waiter comes sees my empty glass and refills it.  So, I finish it.  

By the end of the meal, I've had a ton of salt (because it's in most restaurant food) and a ton of water, or maybe iced tea if I'm feeling like a treat, which leads to trouble.  But since I love it, then I just live with the consequences.  

• Like 2

I wondered about the fats but then you would think fast food burgers/fries would do it and they don't.

I wonder about preservatives on salads/fresh veggies.

I want to be able to eat out and enjoy it. I never feel sick or bloated or otherwise I'll after eating....just the need for a quick trip to the bathroom and I am fine.

How's your gallbladder? This sounds a lot like what I've had to deal with since I had mine out five years ago, and for a couple of years before that since it was so impacted with small stones. Might be worth having yours looked if you haven't recently. I had no symptoms at all, which was amazing since the thing looked like an ear of corn in the films! The problem was found during some x-rays I had done during a kidney stone attack. 

What makes a difference for me is the amount of "absorbent" food in my system, like breads or rice or things like chia seeds. Those can significantly slow the whole process for me and make it more manageable. But a salad or too many fresh veggies will make everything go haywire, as will too much fat and certain other foods, like eggs (why? who knows?!). Oh, and caffeine too, and like someone else mentioned, too much liquid consumed along with a meal.

Fiber supplements can sometimes help, as can eating more grain-based foods. I make a little breakfast cookie that has things like chia and flax seeds, oats, dried coconut, and ground pecans. That goes a long way toward helping out! But mainly it's eating small meals that makes the most difference. 

I totally hear you on wanting to enjoy your trip without having to worry about constantly locating bathrooms. I hope you can sort out some solutions in time. 

How's your gallbladder? This sounds a lot like what I've had to deal with since I had mine out five years ago, and for a couple of years before that since it was so impacted with small stones. Might be worth having yours looked if you haven't recently. I had no symptoms at all, which was amazing since the thing looked like an ear of corn in the films! The problem was found during some x-rays I had done during a kidney stone attack.

What makes a difference for me is the amount of "absorbent" food in my system, like breads or rice or things like chia seeds. Those can significantly slow the whole process for me and make it more manageable. But a salad or too many fresh veggies will make everything go haywire, as will too much fat and certain other foods, like eggs (why? who knows?!). Oh, and caffeine too, and like someone else mentioned, too much liquid consumed along with a meal.

Fiber supplements can sometimes help, as can eating more grain-based foods. I make a little breakfast cookie that has things like chia and flax seeds, oats, dried coconut, and ground pecans. That goes a long way toward helping out! But mainly it's eating small meals that makes the most difference.

I totally hear you on wanting to enjoy your trip without having to worry about constantly locating bathrooms. I hope you can sort out some solutions in time.

I can eat tons of fresh veggies and fruits at home and never have an issue.

I have no pain or discomfort at all.

I can eat tons of fresh veggies and fruits at home and never have an issue.

I have no pain or discomfort at all.

I didn't have any pain or discomfort either. I had no idea until the urologist looking at my x-ray for kidney stones was like, "Uh, you're going to want to have THAT looked at soon." And he pointed my GB out to me. It was huge and distended with stones. I couldn't believe it wasn't giving me any trouble!

As to the fruits and veggies, was it you or someone else who mentioned salad? That's definitely the worst offender for me. 

Is it worth keeping a food diary to see if you can connect any of the dots? It took me years to recognize some of my triggers. I figured the salad thing out after two weeks spent rapidly eating a big salad each day for lunch before rushing out to pick my DD up at day camp. I had to stop at the park along the way nearly every day until I finally figured it out  :blushing:

• Like 1

I should add that if I were traveling for very long I would get so constipated from fast food. It's all fat and no fiber. The car usually is enough to do me and the fast food would only add to my misery.

This happens to me, too. Just today I had a taco salad for lunch at the mall. We had other errands and I wasn't sure I would make it home in time!

I used to enjoy a lettuce wrap at jimmy johns, but that makes me automatically sick.

I eat lots of salad at home, but only have this problem when eating out. I didn't realize restaurants treat their salad with something until reading this thread... I will have to look into that.

I don't think I drink more soda or water.

I love a great salad that someone else made for me, but It is causing me problems. Junky bad food doesn't bother me in the same way. A nice Panera salad goes right through me, but a burger and fries is no problem. No fair! Now what do I eat??

Years ago I used to eat at Taco Bell. Then I started having stomach issues same as you. Also round table pizza and a couple other places. Found out they all used the same food distributor and whatever chemical they used to preserve the food affected me. I'm good with McDonald's although I do get a fast food hang over the next day. Subway really depends on the location. I may have no issues with one, but then always get sick from another. What's safe on the road besides McDonald's? Wendy's, el pollo loco, togos, or even grocery store deli's. Try to find places where you know they use fresh food rather than frozen or freezes dried. I drove past a burrito place the other day and the truck was delivering a lot of fresh produce. Thinking I'll have to try it. Anyway, You can always make sandwiches and keep salad stuff in a cooler for the trip. Hard boil some eggs and enjoy them on the way.

• Like 2

That happened to me too, every time I ate a big restaurant meal and drank a lot of soda. When we first moved to Belgium we ate out a lot since we didn't really have a kitchen, and the restaurants serve HUGE portions of food & fries, yet I haven't had a problem - but they don't have free refills on soda. ;) I do drink about a liter of carbonated water each day, and sometimes I have a little issue with my digestion, but it seems to follow eating salads at home.

I think it is gallbladder related for me (I had an abdominal ultrasound for a different issue and they told me I had a bunch of stones in my gallbladder). Maybe the large amount of fat is one thing, but the soda pushes it over the edge? I don't know, but I suspect both factors play a role for me.

• Like 1

I first noticed this in 2011 after eating at Golden Corral.  I felt like I had food poisoning.  Thereafter, every time we ate there, I got ill.  Discovered it was the salad bar.  I went a long time without eating there---decided to try it again at a different GC in a different state.  OMW!  Same issue, and it takes me several weeks before my tummy feels normal again.  

Also, I notice every time we move and we eat out more while packing/driving/unpacking, I just don't feel great after eating.

I eat a ton of those bagged salads at home, but have stopped buying any with the iceburg lettuce mix, since those make me feel bad also.  I stick to kale and romaine and don't have any problems. I don't order salad anymore at restaurants. 

• Like 1

What's safe on the road besides McDonald's? Wendy's, el pollo loco, togos, or even grocery store deli's. Try to find places where you know they use fresh food rather than frozen or freezes dried.

Count me in as another person with trouble at many fast food restaurants.  The one I miss the most is Long John Silvers; I can. not. eat. there. anymore.  BK and Subway are reliably safe, but then there is that constipation issue!  Sit-down restaurants are a little less risky.  My first choice when traveling is to stop at a grocery store deli and get some non-fried prepared food there, sometimes rotisserie chicken.

I have this problem frequently when eating out. For me, I think it's the richness of the food at restaurants compared to what I'm used to eating. Something that helps me is to order light food - bagel w/ veggies or a baked potato.

I keep a bottle of Pepto pills in my car that I can take if I think I might get ill. They help a ton.

For car rides, I pack food. PB&J's, cheese sticks, cut up fruit and veggies, almonds, popcorn. Easy things to eat that won't affect my belly.

This is me, too. Eating out in general flares up my IBS. Sometimes I can't pinpoint it, but overall, it's less problematic if I keep my eating AND beverages simple when eating out. If something is richly flavored, I'm going to be miserable later. In one instance, I had lobster ravioli...OMG. My guts hurt before I left the table. It put me off lobster for years.

This thread is making me wonder what in the world are they doing to our food if so many people get an upset stomach from eating it! It didn't seem to be this way before. Did it? And so many don't have this problem when they eat a salad or whatever else at home. It makes you wonder. Lettuce looks like lettuce anywhere you go. What could they be doing to this stuff to make it that bad? Or maybe so many just have sensitive stomachs?

My grandmother, who made food from scratch, never cooked with the ubiquitous onions (grandpa hated them), and rarely ate at restaurants, always had stomach issues. I seem to have inherited them. I don't think it's a new thing, just more easily talked about publicly.

I'm starting to wonder if the whole "eating food" thing is terribly inefficient and eventually physically detrimental to the body. Like the thread about periods, and having too many when we aren't having more babies, are we collectively eating too many times over the course of a lifetime? Are human bodies meant to digest readily available food, much of it ending up as waste, 3x a day plus snacks, for 80+ years? Would humans be better served by developing a way to obtain nutrients and energy without overusing our digestive tract?

Given how many of us have posted umpteen thousand threads about food and digestion issues, it makes me wonder. I'm not a biologist or nutrition scientist though.

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 1

My grandmother, who made food from scratch, never cooked with the ubiquitous onions (grandpa hated them), and rarely ate at restaurants, always had stomach issues. I seem to have inherited them. I don't think it's a new thing, just more easily talked about publicly.

I'm starting to wonder if the whole "eating food" thing is terribly inefficient and eventually physically detrimental to the body. Like the thread about periods, and having too many when we aren't having more babies, are we collectively eating too many times over the course of a lifetime? Are human bodies meant to digest readily available food, much of it ending up as waste, 3x a day plus snacks, for 80+ years? Would humans be better served by developing a way to obtain nutrients and energy without overusing our digestive tract?

Given how many of us have posted umpteen thousand threads about food and digestion issues, it makes me wonder. I'm not a biologist or nutrition scientist though.

I very much have thought along these same lines, Barbecue Mom. My thinking on this has somewhat evolved from the Paleo eating theory. Obviously, early humans did not have food and beverages readily available at all times. There would be times when food was scarce and one would simply not eat and/or would eat conservatively because they would know food was scarce. Now, I grant you, I'm sure many early humans actually starved *to death* due to lack of available food, which I'm certainly not advocating. But I do think there is something preferable and more natural and normal about not always eating just because it's a mealtime. I also think we could all stand to go a bit hungry from time to time, but whenever I say that, some people go nuts.

I do think it is not (biologically) normal or natural to eat the kinds of food, the quantity of food, the variety of food and with the frequency that is typical and even promoted in the western world. I think even the way kids are growing up to be so much taller and larger than ever before in westernized societies speaks to the probability that the kids are overnourished.

For full disclosure, I'm happy that my son is tall; it's attractive and it is generally a positive characteristic to be tall. So I'm happy he's tall, but I think the trend towards bigger humans relates directly to the tendency of kids to always have access to food. Parents used to not promote frequent eating, but kids who grew up under parents who read Dr. Sears have largely never been curbed from eating and drinking whenever it ocurrs to them to do so. I think it is a net social negative.