Menu

Fools rush in...(Apologies!)

fairfarmhand

Sometimes people cheat knowing that they are going to pay for it.  But they do it because when eating out or with others it can just be too much to try to stick to their diet.  There are degrees of severity out there.  I had one "blankety blank" person tell my daughter with celiac that because she doesn't have an anaphalactic reaction to gluten that she should stop being a drama queen and stop saying that she can't have gluten.  The truth is that she can "cheat" and it won't kill her but it still hurts her.  We're new on the celiac journey so she hasn't cut out all gluten on doctor's orders (for testing reasons) but her celiac is still real.  The diet is still real.  And her reactions and the damage to her body is still real. 

• Like 3

So what EXACTLY is the question?

I don't know, but when you go to a co-op and you feel that you have to hide the fact that you bought your (healthy weight, no health problems) kids donuts for lunch because you didn't plan ahead, because the other parents will think that's child neglect, then, well, that sucks. 

Which has nothing to do with people who have celiac or peanut allergies etc - obviously they can't help it. 

• Like 6

I don't know, but when you go to a co-op and you feel that you have to hide the fact that you bought your (healthy weight, no health problems) kids donuts for lunch because you didn't plan ahead, because the other parents will think that's child neglect, then, well, that sucks. 

Which has nothing to do with people who have celiac or peanut allergies etc - obviously they can't help it. 

I don't give a rat's ass what people think about what I eat or feed my kids.  When I was my kids age I could eat anything with zero consequences.  Now?  I have to be more careful.  I'm by no means a perfect eater or parent.  Never felt the need to hide any of that though.

• Like 2

The moral of the story, in my opinion, is that we should respect people enough to let them eat whatever they want.  If they are an adult they can make adjustments on their own.  If they are a kid, then we should respect their parents.  We shouldn't have to make them "prove" that their dietary decisions meet our standards of what they should be eating. 

• Like 11

I could be wrong, but I think it can be really hard to know what to feed everybody when it's time to get together and food is part of the party. I typically bring my own stuff, or just eat what I can eat. Summer is great, because the grill makes things so much easier for everyone. But I get the frustration of the OP. It's tough sometimes if you've got a crowd that you don't know well, and dietary restrictions come up when the conversation turns to what everyone can eat.

I could eat gluten. But I'd be really, really unhappy for about 48 hours afterwards. So I won't try the homemade biscuits. But dibs on the homemade jam!

• Like 1

We have the luxury to choose.  If we were all starving or didn't have 100,000 options, we wouldn't be talking about any of this.  But the fact is there are SO MANY FOODS. 

Or in some cases we have the luxury of not being extremely ill and not knowing why.  It's been a two year journey for my daughter and we still don't know if the celiac diagnosis is the totality of what has made her so ill for so long.  The fact is that in extremely poor countries those who can't eat the scarce resources die.  Period. 

• Like 5

I would love to just eat food.

Revel in it!

We have food allergies (anaphylactic, so it's non-negotiable and not a fad thing), celiac, and blood sugar issues. Eh. Food was way more fun before all this. I don't opt out of any foods by choice any more. We eat the way we do that stay alive and function, basically.

• Like 3

I could be wrong, but I think it can be really hard to know what to feed everybody when it's time to get together and food is part of the party. I typically bring my own stuff, or just eat what I can eat. Summer is great, because the grill makes things so much easier for everyone. But I get the frustration of the OP. It's tough sometimes if you've got a crowd that you don't know well, and dietary restrictions come up when the conversation turns to what everyone can eat.

:iagree: , and my diet is a shifting target of trying to figure out what works (anaphylactic reactions, but supposedly no allergies).

Rather than fad diets, I have a food snob problem.

The constant implication (before I had food issues) that my very tasty but simple food was too plain and that not wanting a constantly changing array of new tastes, textures, smells, and techniques was a moral failure really got on my last nerve. I went from being a really good cook (according to other people) to being a boring cook (according to some of the same people). If a person is so sensory/thrill seeking about food that they can't eat something with just a few ingredients and refrain from snarking about it (or offering to upgrade my suddenly deficient favorites), it's not my problem; it's their problem. The one good thing about problematic health issues is that I can finally tell people with this attitude to shove it.  :D

• Like 1

It makes sense for people to try things out and see what works best for them.

For me, far from going low carb, I've recently discovered the joys of sourdough baking. I've always been picky, and that's restriction enough.

It seems like everyone I know eats a particular way.

Vegan

Low Carb

Gluten Free

Paleo

I often feel very alone in that I just eat food. I eat home made food, mostly cooked from scratch. Lots of it we've raised ourselves. Other than chicken, all of our pork, beef, and lamb we grew. Veggies, we grow them and they're fantastic. But I eat butter on my corn and sour cream on my baked potato. I bake biscuits form scratch. And I enjoy them with homemade jam.

Our family is very active and we have no allergy or weight issues.

I'm not condemning anyone for eating in a particular way. I'm just wondering if anyone is like me and just eats.....

Food.

A little of this, a lot of that (veggies), and a dab of this.

Help me not feel so alone. I feel like an unhealthy, I don't care about anything slob when I'm hanging out with some people because I don't follow any particular diet. (They're not rubbing it in my face or being pushy or anything but it does come up. They're very kind.)

FTR, my body is in great shape, cholesterol is awesome, weight in control, good energy.

While I know some people really do need special diets, I think I hate seen way too many people who do special diets, and make a big deal of it, as a way to feel special or higher maintenance. Others really think these diets will fix all.

Sometimes people cheat knowing that they are going to pay for it.  But they do it because when eating out or with others it can just be too much to try to stick to their diet.  There are degrees of severity out there.  I had one "blankety blank" person tell my daughter with celiac that because she doesn't have an anaphalactic reaction to gluten that she should stop being a drama queen and stop saying that she can't have gluten.  The truth is that she can "cheat" and it won't kill her but it still hurts her.  We're new on the celiac journey so she hasn't cut out all gluten on doctor's orders (for testing reasons) but her celiac is still real.  The diet is still real.  And her reactions and the damage to her body is still real. 

:iagree:

Yes it's true a person with celiac will not die today if they eat gluten. However people with celiac have high rates of colon cancer--damage it real. 

Having anemia and other malabsorption diseases is not great. 

Should my dd take to siezure meds to control (not eliminate siezures) because one of the reactions she has is having seizures. 

Brain fog, ADD, migraines. 

and all those nice digestive issues...

Yes, it's annoying when people say go ahead eat it. Last semester at college a girl in my dd's dorm who happened to be from the town where the college was located insisted on everyone going to the restaurant she like hanging out at all through high school. She wouldn't say what kind of food it had. When they got there and dd couldn't eat, dd sat and watched everyone eat for an hour or so while the girl who brought them there insisted dd was just being difficult. The college itself provides a good selection of gf options in the cafeteria, the town has several restaurants that have food dd can eat. Just not the dorm mate's favorite.

• Like 1

It makes sense for people to try things out and see what works best for them.

For me, far from going low carb, I've recently discovered the joys of sourdough baking. I've always been picky, and that's restriction enough.

Yes.  Sometimes it seems like people are trying this food fad and then another when they are just trying to find out what works.  You often can't tell without trying things out just to see how it goes. 

• Like 1

I happily ate all regular, from scratch foods until IBS reared it's ugly head. Now, I can't be so blithe. Dairy and I are no longer friends.

It seems like everyone I know eats a particular way.

Vegan

Low Carb

Gluten Free

Paleo

I often feel very alone in that I just eat food. I eat home made food, mostly cooked from scratch. Lots of it we've raised ourselves. Other than chicken, all of our pork, beef, and lamb we grew. Veggies, we grow them and they're fantastic. But I eat butter on my corn and sour cream on my baked potato. I bake biscuits form scratch. And I enjoy them with homemade jam.

Our family is very active and we have no allergy or weight issues.

I'm not condemning anyone for eating in a particular way. I'm just wondering if anyone is like me and just eats.....

Food.

A little of this, a lot of that (veggies), and a dab of this.

Help me not feel so alone. I feel like an unhealthy, I don't care about anything slob when I'm hanging out with some people because I don't follow any particular diet. (They're not rubbing it in my face or being pushy or anything but it does come up. They're very kind.)

FTR, my body is in great shape, cholesterol is awesome, weight in control, good energy.

Most of my friends eat food. I'm the weirdo with food allergies, Celiac and a need to eat low carb to control my weight. But most of my friends tend to eat normally, although mildly reduces carbs and sugar (like just a bite of dessert or minimal bread etc)

Really at most of our friend potlucks or dinners out, there are only a few of us who have special diets...and frankly I think it's all about how we handle it. Some people make their food issues center stage and others don't.

But yeah- I can totally see how it's exhausting.

I'm glad you aren't condemning people with allergies and celiac disease. I promise we would "eat normal" if it wouldn't harm or kill our children. It's not a fad or a choice. We're aiming for alive and well not trendy.

I hate it when people lump in true medical conditions with food fads. It's offensive. Feeding our kids is hard enough (and expensive, isolating, there are nutritional deficiencies to watch for and diseases that can ensue, it's just hard) without the healthy people complaining about being lonely in their healthy state.

You're a nice lady, fair farmhand, but I feel this needs to be said.

I am so sorry. I do realize this is probably frustrating to those who genuinely suffer with food problems. This isn't a genuine complaint. Just a kind of lighthearted plea for solidarity. I know that for many, food issues are an every day frustration and for those who deal with them know I don't take that lightly.

Hugs to you an yours.

I know there are much much bigger issues happening in this life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 3

I am glad that for those with medical issues, allergies, and intolerances, you live in a place where you can find the food products that you need.

There are those who jump on the lets restrict this food or that food bandwagon for other odd reasons (fad followers). And I am sure that you are extremely frustrated that they label themselves that way. Because it downplays the seriousness of your or your loved ones' medical conditions.

• Like 5

I'm sorry but those who can "just eat food" have it so easy that I don't see why there is any need for special solidarity.  And most people have no idea really all that goes into the food decisions that people make. There is no reason to be frustrated at the decisions that others make.   I guess I'd better stop reading this thread. 

• Like 4

I'm sorry but those who can "just eat food" have it so easy that I don't see why there is any need for special solidarity.  And most people have no idea really all that goes into the food decisions that people make. There is no reason to be frustrated at the decisions that others make.   I guess I'd better stop reading this thread. 

I promise this is not that big of a deal to me. No frustration. No annoyance. Just perhaps an over dramatic, silly (to me) post.

I can see it is a big deal to many others. I get it. I am so sorry.

• Like 1

I am glad that for those with medical issues, allergies, and intolerances, you live in a place where you can find the food products that you need.

There are those who jump on the lets restrict this food or that food bandwagon for other odd reasons (fad followers). And I am sure that you are extremely frustrated that they label themselves that way. Because it downplays the seriousness of your or your loved ones' medical conditions.

God bless the fad followers. They have dramatically increased the availability and variety of allergen free food.

• Like 4

I think what looks like a fad is actually people looking for answers to health issues. Avoiding categories or food is not fun and I can't imagine actually sticking to it for the lols.

• Like 7

We do. It is all silly trends. We are meat and taters people over here!

A funny on pinterest said. Ill never understand...5000 years of eating bread and the course of a decade everyone is allergic to gluten.

Seriously?? You are being pretty dismissive and showing your lack of education on the topic.

• Like 8

We do. It is all silly trends. We are meat and taters people over here!

A funny on pinterest said. Ill never understand...5000 years of eating bread and the course of a decade everyone is allergic to gluten.

Or people were sick an undiagnosed. Most people in the US go a decade or more before getting a celiac dx.

Some are not dx until they have terminal colon cancer because someone finally looks at their intestines. Dhs grandmother was in this group.

People would go years learning to live with and accept symptoms as normal. A friend said to me she thought she felt fine for years. After finding out she didn't grow out of celiac (in the 1960s American doctors used to tell people you grow out of it), she went gf. It was a revelation what feeling good actually felt like to her.

Because celiac is not anaphylactic. Because the symptoms can be quite a range and attributable to other things, it can go undiagnosed a long time.

Edited by Diana P.
  • Like 4

Seriously?? You are being pretty dismissive and showing your lack of education on the topic.

I've wondered if over the past 200 years or so, genetically or environmentally people have changed.

Or maybe the fact that medicine has advanced to where those with sensitivities can survive past infancy have led to the increase in allergies or intolerances.

I know genetics have changed the very makeup of our corn/wheat/soy.

That could be part of the problem too with allergies and such.

This thread really wasn't for me about medical food needs, but as a side topic, it is interesting to consider why many struggle with digesting/tolerating the simple things that our bodies need to live.

• Like 1

I don't think it's a judgement. It's more of an observation. 10 or 20 years ago, the person who needed a specialized diet was the anomaly. Now that's flipped and it's more rare to find someone with no special dietary needs. It's sad. I've seen friends lose foods that they used to enjoy. Over the last 5 or 6 years it seems that potlucks have become impossible and have morphed into a bring-your-own main dish and a side to share. It's the only way to be certain that nobody is left hungry. It's getting harder to cook for THE SAME people and larger groups in general. It doesn't seem like more people are advocating for themselves. It seems like food that used to be fine is making more people sick. Our cultural desire to bond over a meal is still there, but the meal itself is becoming nearly impossible to plan. It's no negative reflection on the person with food restrictions, it's just worrisome in general.

• Like 4

I've wondered if over the past 200 years or so, genetically or environmentally people have changed.

Or maybe the fact that medicine has advanced to where those with sensitivities can survive past infancy have led to the increase in allergies or intolerances.

This thread really wasn't for me about medical food needs, but as a side topic, it is interesting to consider why many struggle with digesting/tolerating the simple things that our bodies need to live.

The wheat grown in the US has been altered and is different than wheat grown other places. People who are intolerant to gluten and have celiac-type reactions, but not actual celiac sometimes find they can eat bread and such in Europe. This phenomenon does not help a true celiac, but it does show you our farming methods have altered our food supply.

• Like 3

The wheat grown in the US has been altered and is different than wheat grown other places. People who are intolerant to gluten and have celiac-type reactions, but not actual celiac sometimes find they can eat bread and such in Europe. This phenomenon does not help a true celiac, but it does show you our farming methods have altered our food supply.

I'm reading Never Out of Season and it touches on this. I had no idea how much tinkering has been done with corn and wheat. And not Hybridization.

• Like 1

If you are really curious, read Wheat Belly. Short answer-wheat isn't the same.

• Like 1

I think what looks like a fad is actually people looking for answers to health issues. Avoiding categories or food is not fun and I can't imagine actually sticking to it for the lols.

Yep

I have never gotten eating advice from a doctor.  Why is that?  They don't know?  They don't think I'll listen?  Either way, do they dismiss the idea that food matters?  I have to wonder. 

Today a doc told me to go easy and start with a bland diet.  LMAO  I AM on a bland diet (hello GERD).  But what's their idea of bland?  Go home and eat some crackers.  Crackers are junk.  Why do they recommend I go home and eat junk?  I came home and ate a salad instead.  Why didn't they suggest that I wonder?

But yes, for me it is about wanting to avoid or address health issues.  Does it help?  Who knows.  Maybe I'm wasting my time. 

• Like 1

Another thing that's different is forced folic acid supplementation in almost all processed wheat-containing foods that are not organic.  (Synthetic folic acid is not an ideal supplement for a certain significant percentage of individuals.)  IIRC, folic acid enrichment ramped up during the 1990s.

• Like 2

Another thing that's different is forced folic acid supplementation in almost all processed wheat-containing foods that are not organic.  (Synthetic folic acid is not an ideal supplement for a certain significant percentage of individuals.)  IIRC, folic acid enrichment ramped up during the 1990s.

I'm homozygous for mthf mutation.  approx 16% of the population are.  for us - folic acid is BAD.  we can't use it - it's fake.  you won't find it naturally occurring in food.  not only can't we use it - but it can block us from being able to use REAL folate

• Like 1

In addition to other allergies, my son has a wheat allergy. It seems like people put gluten intolerance in the fad category, celiac in the real problem category, and then a wheat allergy is like a unicorn we made up.

My DS21 was allergic to wheat! He outgrew many allergies by about 15-18 years old. Being able to add dairy, wheat, and eggs into his diet during puberty certainly helped his height/weight issues. (He was the zero percentile his entire life, until his allergies changed.)

Edited by Noreen Claire

Back through the family history, we had one celiac per generation. In my kids generation, it's exponentially higher. My kids are ALL celiacs.

We think it's a change in the food supply, but there's one other theory for my kids:

The youngest was obviously born with it. He was diagnosed as a baby.

The other three showed no signs of it as infants, toddlers, preschoolers, early elementary. But all began to have symptoms within a year of having rotavirus. (There was an epidemic in my area in 2000, and my boys had horrible cases.) Rotavirus is a known trigger for celiac, for persons who have the gene. I think it's possible my boys all had the gene, and it was triggered by the virus.

Un-triggering a gene is like unringing a bell. Can't be done. I frequently wonder if my elder three would have never suffered from celiac if they hadn't got rotavirus in that epidemic. How radically, dramatically different their lives would have been. One of them lives with a dangerous blood disorder that his hematologist believes was caused by celiac disease. He might not have nearly died at 18, might not have a permanent disability with his leg, might not have to take warfarin for life, might not live between the risks of bleeding and deep vein thrombosis...

or maybe they had it all the time and just didn't become severe until ages 4, 6, and 8. I'll never know for sure. But I have photos of three plump and well nourished, well adjusted and thriving little boys before the rotavirus.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
  • Like 3

I think it's probably a combination of things. Food is not the same and perhaps the change is partly environmental (what the food is grown with and how it's processed). And then I do think people just died earlier due to these reasons but didn't know why. Most people on my mom's side of the family for instance end up with hypertension regardless of weight. Before the advent of BP medication and regularly monitoring many died relatively young of stroke. So I did read this thread and think about my great grandmother who lived her whole life on a farm and just ate food and died of a stroke in her 50's. She'd probably live several decades longer now.

• Like 1

My DS21 was allergic to wheat! He outgrew many allergies by about 15-18 years old. Being able to add dairy, wheat, and eggs into his diet during puberty certainly helped his height/weight issues. (He was the zero percentile his entire life, until his allergies changed.)

Mine is only 2, but his allergy repertoire includes eggs, dairy, and wheat! He fell off in growth, but fattened up nicely on a super restrictive diet. I'm holding out hope for the outgrowing, it's always encouraging to hear.

• Like 1

Mine is only 2, but his allergy repertoire includes eggs, dairy, and wheat! He fell off in growth, but fattened up nicely on a super restrictive diet. I'm holding out hope for the outgrowing, it's always encouraging to hear.

When he was born, he was allergic to wheat, oat, soy, barley, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish, and finned fish (I think that's everything). He was so allergic, I had to stop nursing at 5mos old (doctors didn't recommend a restricted diet for me, and I was too young to know better). His pediatrician actually asked if I had enough money to bury him - he was THAT sick.

Of course, DS21 now eats a terrible diet full of crappy processed food and takeout. :-\

• Like 1

Yes.  Sometimes it seems like people are trying this food fad and then another when they are just trying to find out what works.  You often can't tell without trying things out just to see how it goes. 

And often you can tell, but doctors just don't test, while other people are adamant that every medical problem is caused by food issues, or at the very least that *your* medical problems are caused by food issues. 

In college, a doc said I probably had IBS, and referred me to a specialist to make sure. I didn't have the money, so that didn't happen. I have eczema, maybe asthma or chronic bronchitis (doctors disagree), mental health issues, family history of autism etc... the few things I've tried cutting out later turned out to not be issues... or not consistently be issues, or w/e. I mentioned to my doc that I wondered if I was lactose intolerant, and his reaction was to simply cut out milk... even though he could've ran a test and settled this once and for all. I'm sure there are tons of "food cures everything" people out there who think I should at least try cutting out gluten... but OTOH it doesn't make a lot of sense to just randomly eliminate that when there is a test, and a test that actually requires you to be eating gluten in order to be accurate. I'd happily pay OOP to get tested for lactose and celiac and all that stuff just to settle those issues, instead of trying to eliminate those for long enough to see a difference, and then reintroduce them, etc etc etc. 

So, it's a combination of a lack of science, available science not being used, and lay people who think they know everything. And the aforementioned people who think that giving a kid a donut is the same as giving them a cigarette. 

• Like 1

For an interesting point of reference, Italy has a 5% rate of Celiac disease (US is currently at 1%), the rates of Celiac disease is continuing to rise in the west, not some fad but real diagnosed cases. Futhermore, Celiac diagnosis is like an iceberg at this point we can only see a fraction of the actual cases because it is still a total PITA to even get diagnosed, that's not counting food allergies and the myriad of other gut issues. 

Anyway, I'm in the camp that would love to eat "normally." But there are things worse than having to follow a restricted diet. 

Of the people I know on "special" diets, I don't know any that wouldn't LOVE to be able to eat "normally." 

• Like 2

And often you can tell, but doctors just don't test, while other people are adamant that every medical problem is caused by food issues, or at the very least that *your* medical problems are caused by food issues.

In college, a doc said I probably had IBS, and referred me to a specialist to make sure. I didn't have the money, so that didn't happen. I have eczema, maybe asthma or chronic bronchitis (doctors disagree), mental health issues, family history of autism etc... the few things I've tried cutting out later turned out to not be issues... or not consistently be issues, or w/e. I mentioned to my doc that I wondered if I was lactose intolerant, and his reaction was to simply cut out milk... even though he could've ran a test and settled this once and for all. I'm sure there are tons of "food cures everything" people out there who think I should at least try cutting out gluten... but OTOH it doesn't make a lot of sense to just randomly eliminate that when there is a test, and a test that actually requires you to be eating gluten in order to be accurate. I'd happily pay OOP to get tested for lactose and celiac and all that stuff just to settle those issues, instead of trying to eliminate those for long enough to see a difference, and then reintroduce them, etc etc etc.

So, it's a combination of a lack of science, available science not being used, and lay people who think they know everything. And the aforementioned people who think that giving a kid a donut is the same as giving them a cigarette.

Well, it's not always that simple. Dh can't have dairy. He's not lactose intolerant. It gives him sinus infections. No test will show this. But years of eating dairy followed by sinus infections is hard to ignore- that is once we were able to narrow down all the many variables in life when it comes to what might cause an infection. In the meantime ten years of constant sinus infections has left him diabetic.

• Like 1

Well, it's not always that simple. Dh can't have dairy. He's not lactose intolerant. It gives him sinus infections. No test will show this. But years of eating dairy followed by sinus infections is hard to ignore- that is once we were able to narrow down all the many variables in life when it comes to what might cause an infection. In the meantime ten years of constant sinus infections has left him diabetic.

I didn't mean to imply that it solves everything... but if you don't test, you don't have easy answers. If you do test, and the test is positive for something, you don't have to just try eliminating it. You *know*. Which also makes it easier to stick with something like that. 

About eating whole foods "from scratch" - we do. It's food that is naturally gluten free. We minimize the gf stuff in the market because the nutrition value is low, and because too much gf specialty food is rice based. We don't want to be poisoned by arsenic, overloading on that stuff. Finally, it costs too much, anyway.

We eat beef, pork, poultry, fish, eggs, beans, nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables, and gf (uncontaminated) grains like

corn - kernel, tortilla, masa harina, polenta

rice - jasmine and brown basmati

buckwheat

teff

quinoa

amaranth

sorghum

coconut flour

almond flour

cassava

millet

Chickpea flour

So here in the Midwest, people have something to say about why don't we eat "normal" foods, which, being interpreted, means "whatever we can move hand to mouth at this fast food restaurant or cheap social event."

No, we can't eat dominos pizza at youth group or a hot dog at the baseball game. But when we're over here eating injera and mesir wat, whitefish and quinoa, blini, homemade blond brownies with sorghum flour, Italian chicken stew over polenta, socca, mudjara with lentils, garlic, onions, and rice, and a big salad everyday, pork chops and acorn squash...

who's eating "normal" food, and whom should we all feel sorry for? My kids don't get pop tarts for breakfast like all their friends (who are served pop tarts at school!) but I don't think they'd prefer them to buckwheat pancakes.

• Like 3

For an interesting point of reference, Italy has a 5% rate of Celiac disease (US is currently at 1%), the rates of Celiac disease is continuing to rise in the west, not some fad but real diagnosed cases. Futhermore, Celiac diagnosis is like an iceberg at this point we can only see a fraction of the actual cases because it is still a total PITA to even get diagnosed, that's not counting food allergies and the myriad of other gut issues.

Anyway, I'm in the camp that would love to eat "normally." But there are things worse than having to follow a restricted diet.

Of the people I know on "special" diets, I don't know any that wouldn't LOVE to be able to eat "normally."

Wow- I didn't know that. Do you have a source?

I have Celiac and am weary of people telling me that it's a Western phenomena that 'ancient grains of Europe' can solve.

• Like 3

Yep I know. Its clear you all think Im stupud and pos and Im cool with that. Thats why I have no friend irl. Its all good.

It seems to me no one else around here holds back their thoughts on anythomg, why should I?

without medical intervention most of my children would not have been born alive. if they managed that, protein allergies and malnutrition would have done three of them in. My grandmother had multiple still births. I'm sure that would have our fate as well. 

my diet seems totally normal to me, though people have commented over the years about restrictions.

I don't care for dairy, and didn't grow up eating much. No butter or sour cream, or any desserts at all. My mother didn't like sweets in any form, and my dad wasn't a sweets eater either. It just wasn't something we had. Dairy doesn't agree with me, but I don't miss it anyway. 

I don't choose to eat meat because I don't care for it. That's the whole story. I don't much care if you choose to eat meat, and I'll happily have a taste of what ever you serve. But i'll just have the salad, if you don't mind. I don;t care much for fruit either, so I'll pass on that as well. 

I am anaphylactic allergic to bananas. which no one even knows unless they try to bring it into my house. I don't care how inconvenient that is. I need to breathe. 

I think I eat normal food. Vegetarian curries, asian noodle soups, lots of fresh veggies, potatoes, popcorn, and fresh, homemade bread. it may not be normal to everyone,  but it's 100% normal to me.

• Like 1

In the past and even now in poor countries people with food issues suffer quietly. My FIL was so allergic to rice when he was a child in the Philippines that he wasn't even able to walk because his eczema was so bad. No one ever thought to stop giving him rice. Some of it was poverty. Some of it was lack of understanding back then about food allergies.

He's had lifelong problems. Sometimes I wonder how different his life and health would have been if he and his parents had approached things differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2