Menu

popcorn popper .. .

gardenmom5

I bought one last fall?  maybe even dec.  it's dead.  so, NOT pleased.  yes, we use it a lot, dudeling loves popcorn.  but it worked fine last time, this time, it wouldn't even turn on.  smells like it shorted out.  it's not even available on amazon anymore.

anyhoo - now I have to buy another.

anyone tried those silicon microwave popper bowls?  (don't suggest the prepackages microwave popcorn)

or stick with hot air?

I have this microwave one, and I love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Microwave-Popcorn-Popper/dp/B00004W4UP/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1489452475&sr=8-6&keywords=microwave+popcorn+popper

Works great, and cleans easily. Fast as using remade bags, but cheaper. And I do NOT advise the DIY thing with a brown paper bag....I set that on fire once, and scorched the interior of the microwave. No idea what happened, but that time instead of popping it caught on fire. Worth the $8 to get the thing made for microwaving popcorn. 

Oh, and I used to have a whirly pop but this is easier, and takes less room to store. And is easier to clean. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 5

We make popcorn all the time.  I use an All-Clad pan on the stove.  No stirring or shaking needed.  

I use just enough canola oil to cover the bottom of the pan.  I add 1/2 cup kernels for my larger pan, and 1/4 cup for my smaller - it's enough kernels to make one layer on the bottom of the pan, which interestingly is just enough to fill the pan when popped.  I just turn the heat on and listen for the popping to stop; I get very few unpopped kernels.  The pan and lid cleans up great in the dishwasher.  And the popcorn is delicious!!!  I think it works well because it's a heavy pan that heats really evenly; my cheaper pans aren't nearly as good, and don't wash up as well.

Of course, the All-Clad is a great pan for all kinds of cooking too, so it's not a single-use device, which reduces clutter.
They are not cheap.  But versatile and sturdy enough to make the investment worthwhile.

• Like 2

I have this microwave one, and I love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Microwave-Popcorn-Popper/dp/B00004W4UP/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1489452475&sr=8-6&keywords=microwave+popcorn+popper

Works great, and cleans easily. Fast as using remade bags, but cheaper. And I do NOT advise the DIY thing with a brown paper bag....I set that on fire once, and scorched the interior of the microwave. No idea what happened, but that time instead of popping it caught on fire. Worth the $8 to get the thing made for microwaving popcorn. 

Oh, and I used to have a whirly pop but this is easier, and takes less room to store. And is easier to clean.

I have the one ktgrok linked. For me, it is perfect. I can't have butter and I like popcorn with just salt. It works fine in my small microwave.

The Whirly pop looks fun, too.

I third this microwave pop corn popper. Very easy to use, clean and store away!

• Like 2

I have a pot, just a regular pot. I also use it to cook rice. Both popcorn and rice come out great every time. I will admit to being utterly confused as to why special appliances are needed for either purpose...???

😂 I have to say my popper works great as a regular bowl too. For some reason I use it often to wash fruits, rice and other grains!

I have a pot, just a regular pot. I also use it to cook rice. Both popcorn and rice come out great every time. I will admit to being utterly confused as to why special appliances are needed for either purpose...???

And what? I'm supposed to just stand there and pay attention? What kind of operation do you think I'm running?

• Like 12

And what? I'm supposed to just stand there and pay attention? What kind of operation do you think I'm running?

If your pot has a heavy bottom, you don't really have to pay much attention.  I give it a shake now and then, but often I walk away until I hear the lid lifting (yes, I don't even have a perfectly-sized pot... lol).  Then I run over and dump the top excess in a bowl and shake the rest for like 30 seconds or so till it's done and dump the rest in the bowl, all nice and hot. :)

I've used the same not-perfectly-sized pot for over 20 years...  my dad used to make popcorn almost every night.  His pot had better proportions and didn't overflow, lol...

Oh, and really easy to clean as long as I dump the hot pot right in the sink and put cold water in it, then the oil doesn't stick.  I let it soak a bit and later it just needs a wipe.

• Like 2

I have one even though dh makes perfect stovetop popcorn in a regular sturdy pan. We dislike clutter and have a tiny kitchen. 

But I am the only one in the family who eats popcorn. It is one of the few foods I can eat. I could learn to not burn popcorn on the stove top  but I burn it every time. Some people are just bad at cooking. (I am a very good baker - not sure why I can bake but not perform simple stovetop tasks. My eggs are always terrible, too.)

I also have severe food issues that I'm not going to detail here because this is already way longer than the topic deserves or anyone wants to read. :lol:

(ETA: I do seriously hope you will read this because my point is not popcorn, it's about hearing people out. It would make my day if you listened. Not looking for agreement, but for understanding  :001_smile: )

My point is not about popcorn makers but about people having reasons, sometimes painful ones for doing weird things. I do get why the special popper seems confusing and cluttering. But I have tried rice and popcorn on the stovetop and in the end it cost me less time and money to have a maker for both. Actually I got both of them while dealing with separate health disasters.

Call me wasteful or unskilled in the kitchen but it was $7.99 and I also keep the finances in order all by myself because dh prefers to be hands off there.  :laugh: I do have a (very) few skills.

Edited by Ellesmere
  • Like 5

I do popcorn in my heavy saucepan but I do have a rice cooker and love it.  My stove is wonky and doing rice on it uses up a burner I don't have to spare.  My "saute things to put over rice" pan is huge which knocks out the adjacent two burners for use, and the fourth one is in a corner between stove back and fridge with poor air circulation so I have to be careful with it or plastic parts of the stove back will melt.  (Note to kitchen remodelers - don't put your stove right next to your fridge!)  Plus, I don't have to watch the rice, and I can steam fish and veggies in the steamer basket to make a complete healthy meal for one or two.

If your pot has a heavy bottom, you don't really have to pay much attention.  I give it a shake now and then, but often I walk away until I hear the lid lifting (yes, I don't even have a perfectly-sized pot... lol).  Then I run over and dump the top excess in a bowl and shake the rest for like 30 seconds or so till it's done and dump the rest in the bowl, all nice and hot. :)

Same - If you've got a good heavy pot, burning is unlikely even if you're not paying perfect attention.  And I"ve experimented enough to know the exact amount of kernels to add to minimize unpopped kernels.

Oh, and really easy to clean as long as I dump the hot pot right in the sink and put cold water in it, then the oil doesn't stick.  I let it soak a bit and later it just needs a wipe.

YIKES!!!  Be super careful about putting cold water into a hot pan.  You could end up cracking the pan.  Use hot water instead, or leave the pan to cool a bit first.  

.. I could learn to not burn popcorn on the stove top  but I burn it every time. Some people are just bad at cooking....

It's not you.  It's your pan.  A heavier (and sadly more expensive) pan makes it much, much easier to make popcorn without burning it.

If your pot has a heavy bottom, you don't really have to pay much attention.  I give it a shake now and then, but often I walk away until I hear the lid lifting (yes, I don't even have a perfectly-sized pot... lol).  Then I run over and dump the top excess in a bowl and shake the rest for like 30 seconds or so till it's done and dump the rest in the bowl, all nice and hot.  :)

• Like 3

I put 1/2 cup popcorn swirled with a tablespoon of oil in a paper bag, masking tape it shut and microwave as normal. Super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use 1/4 cup at a time, no oil, no tape (just fold over top x twice). Can reuse bag a few times. My microwave is about 1:40 for time (1 min, 40 sec). Edited by displace

It's not you.  It's your pan.  A heavier (and sadly more expensive) pan makes it much, much easier to make popcorn without burning it.

No it's me. :laugh:  We have a nice, heavy pan, bought with the ideals you talked about -- even though we were on a tight budget but we once got ourselves nice pans couldn't afford to keep replacing the cheap stuff. (This is how romantic we are. No anniversary gifts. But, pans? Yes!). Dh does perfect stovetop popcorn.

I hear you! I even agree it is easier for most. But a lot of people would argue against a rice cooker. I even did for years before it became a huge part of my life. (Really, it takes up too much space!)

During two different health meltdowns, I bought convenience things (rice maker, popcorn bowl) my nice pans can do because I was in survival mode. (Not kidding, not just high stress. It was survival mode, although I think stress or a deep & abiding interest in popcorn alone are fine reasons to get something like this.)

I know it goes against my goals of having a clutter-free, waste-free home.

You know I think the world of you :001_wub: . And I don't mind we disagree about this but I wish there was understanding. Telling me how easy it would be if I just worked better just reinforces what I know -- I'm inadequate in the kitchen, unless I'm baking. It's ok, I have other skills. (I also know you would never mean to make someone feel like that; responding because we have interacted before and if this was just some random person talking food, I really wouldn't take the time, I promise! I do get things done IRL between posting about popcorn!  :lol: )

I am saying this in a light-hearted way, really. But just wishing someone would say something like: "I hear you. I don't agree but I understand people have different situations." No one has to, of course, and all the different views are part of why we're here. :001_smile: 

• Like 2

I have a question for those who do it on the stove.  Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but many times mine comes out very hard.  The popcorn is not pleasant to eat. 

I do use a heavy bottom pan. 

I'm just a bit baffled by this.  I'd say this might be the kernels, but it doesn't happen when I do it in the microwave.

I have a question for those who do it on the stove. Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but many times mine comes out very hard. The popcorn is not pleasant to eat.

I'm just a bit baffled by this. I'd say this might be the kernels, but it doesn't happen when I do it in the microwave.

Huh. I put enough oil in the bottom of the pot to just about cover one layer of kernels. That's about it. Microwave popcorn always tastes scorched to me, and I usually find the kernels harder than what I make on the stove...

I use either Arrowhead Farm organic from WF or TJs store brand (also organic). Both ironically way cheaper than Orville Redenbacher non-organic, which pops nicely, but why pay the $$? Other brands have not popped for me well (including the stuff from the WF bulk bins).

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

Huh. I put enough oil in the bottom of the pot to just about cover one layer of kernels. That's about it. Microwave popcorn always tastes scorched to me, and I usually find the kernels harder than what I make on the stove...

I use either Arrowhead Farm organic from WF or TJs store brand (also organic). Both ironically way cheaper than Orville Redenbacher non-organic. Other brands have not popped for me well (including the stuff from the WF bulk bins).

Yeah I do that too.

I dunno what the deal is.  I now just do it in the microwave.

I don't eat it myself.  Just make it for my kids.

Yeah I do that too.

I dunno what the deal is. I now just do it in the microwave.

I don't eat it myself. Just make it for my kids.

Well I've never managed to make any popcorn that's any good in the microwave, so do knows what I'm doing wrong there? Whatever works... :)

• Like 3

I have a question for those who do it on the stove.  Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but many times mine comes out very hard.  The popcorn is not pleasant to eat. 

I'm just a bit baffled by this.  I'd say this might be the kernels, but it doesn't happen when I do it in the microwave.

The only thing I can think of is that I find that if I don't take the lid off of the pan as soon as the popping has stopped, the popcorn gets kind of smoky and unpleasant.  Same if I leave leftovers in the pan with the lid on, but not if I leave the lid off.  I think the texture might be a bit off when I leave the lid on too.  So that's something to experiment with anyway.

I use either Arrowhead Farm organic from WF or TJs store brand (also organic). Both ironically way cheaper than Orville Redenbacher non-organic, which pops nicely, but why pay the $$? Other brands have not popped for me well (including the stuff from the WF bulk bins).

I use way less oil than that - instead of coating the kernels, I just coat the bottom of the pan with canola oil.  But then, I'm only popping one layer of kernels at a time, so that might make a difference.

I use either store-brand non-organic kernels with canola oil in a heavy pan (which I like), or Pop-Secret bags in the microwave (which I also like, but in a different way).  Given the choice, I prefer pan-popped, but if someone else is making it, I will have some either way.

No it's me. :laugh:  We have a nice, heavy pan, bought with the ideals you talked about -- even though we were on a tight budget but we once got ourselves nice pans couldn't afford to keep replacing the cheap stuff. (This is how romantic we are. No anniversary gifts. But, pans? Yes!). Dh does perfect stovetop popcorn.

I hear you! I even agree it is easier for most. But a lot of people would argue against a rice cooker. I even did for years before it became a huge part of my life. (Really, it takes up too much space!)

During two different health meltdowns, I bought convenience things (rice maker, popcorn bowl) my nice pans can do because I was in survival mode. (Not kidding, not just high stress. It was survival mode, although I think stress or a deep & abiding interest in popcorn alone are fine reasons to get something like this.)

I know it goes against my goals of having a clutter-free, waste-free home.

You know I think the world of you :001_wub: . And I don't mind we disagree about this but I wish there was understanding. Telling me how easy it would be if I just worked better just reinforces what I know -- I'm inadequate in the kitchen, unless I'm baking. It's ok, I have other skills. (I also know you would never mean to make someone feel like that; responding because we have interacted before and if this was just some random person talking food, I really wouldn't take the time, I promise! I do get things done IRL between posting about popcorn!  :lol: )

I am saying this in a light-hearted way, really. But just wishing someone would say something like: "I hear you. I don't agree but I understand people have different situations." No one has to, of course, and all the different views are part of why we're here. :001_smile: 

You're right of course.  I got all evangelical about the popcorn and I wasn't sensitive enough to first listen to you.  

My excuse is that popcorn is a topic of serious contention in my household.  Issues like "do you have to put three test kernels in the pan and wait for them to pop before putting in the rest of the batch, or not" are Hot Topics, and everyone has a firm opinion that they think is The One Right Way.

But of course, there is no One Right Way.  I use the pan, ds uses the Pop Secret bags, dh uses a non-heavy pan, or the smallest heavy pan, so that he's doing a large batch in a small pan (WHY?).  We get popcorn regardless.  It's all good.

And despite my theoretical goal of minimizing single-use items, my house remains a clutter-festival.  

As to kitchen incompetence, you are not alone.  For me, for a long time, it was cookies and brownies.  Every other mother seemed to be able to make cookies for gatherings with no problem whatsoever.  Mine were burnt, or under-cooked, or both in the same cookie.  My dd's friends asked her to not ever bring my brownies again, because they were horrible.  And then there was the incident of the thirty cookies to be made in the shape of the mainland United States, for Read Across America Day.  I won't go into details, but it involved Florida, and it didn't go well.  I decided then and there that I would never, never volunteer to bring baked goods to anything ever again.  It's just not my strong point.  

I was also embarrassingly clueless about some really basic cooking stuff for many years.  I had been vegetarian as a young adult, so had never cooked meat.  I had a good friend from our hs co-op who coached me through learning it.  I would call her, frantically, at dinner time - "I have this chicken but I've never cooked one before - DON'T TELL ANYONE!!! - what do I DO????"  She, a natural at the mom-at-home gig (hanging out wash, making her own everything, loving every second of it), would gently guide me though it.  I'm still not a meat expert, by far, but as I've gotten more experience I have a bit more of a repertoire.  Ok mostly chicken - whole or breasts only.  (I'm only vaguely aware of what a "chicken wing" is, let alone what you'd do with one.)  The book "Clueless in the Kitchen" also helped by giving really basic recipes written for teens who hadn't cooked before.   

I'm sorry if my post made you feel like I was all, "If you just do it my way, you'd be perfect, like me!"  It was intended more like "OMG, popcorn!  One thing I can actually make well!  Because I learned relatively recently, after lots of failures!  So I should tell everyone else in case it helps them on their popcorn-making journey!" 

(((Hugs)))

I use either store-brand non-organic kernels with canola oil in a heavy pan, or Pop-Secret bags in the microwave.

• Like 3

I won't go into details, but it involved Florida, and it didn't go well.  I decided then and there that I would never, never volunteer to bring baked goods to anything ever again.  It's just not my strong point.  

:lol: I so needed that laugh!

No offense Florida & to my loved ones there, but how many times can I say "it involved Florida, and it didn't go well"? Oh, so many.

Also my inner twelve year old is picturing those cookies.

You know I would excuse you for just about anything. :grouphug: I also get popcorn being a Very Important Issue in a household. I'm like that about bread. There's a million ways to do it, but I'm all in the kitchen with my special dough bucket, insisting THIS is how you do it! As if I know anything about bread!

You are someone I can always count on to understand my many food quirks/kitchen cluelessness. I know I was being really sensitive as I'm going through IRL food/health disasters I posted knowing I could trust you to listen kindly without taking offense. Thanks so much for listening to me.

• Like 3

Love my Stir Crazy. :001_wub:

I don't love air poppers. You still have to add some sort of fat so that your salt will stick to the popped kernels; might as well just use a little oil to cook with in the first place. :-)

This is what we have. It has lasted six or seven years of heavy use with our large family. (It's popped almost 40lbs of popcorn. 😲)

We make popcorn all the time.  I use an All-Clad pan on the stove.  No stirring or shaking needed.  

I use just enough canola oil to cover the bottom of the pan.  I add 1/2 cup kernels for my larger pan, and 1/4 cup for my smaller - it's enough kernels to make one layer on the bottom of the pan, which interestingly is just enough to fill the pan when popped.  I just turn the heat on and listen for the popping to stop; I get very few unpopped kernels.  The pan and lid cleans up great in the dishwasher.  And the popcorn is delicious!!!  I think it works well because it's a heavy pan that heats really evenly; my cheaper pans aren't nearly as good, and don't wash up as well.

Of course, the All-Clad is a great pan for all kinds of cooking too, so it's not a single-use device, which reduces clutter.

They are not cheap.  But versatile and sturdy enough to make the investment worthwhile.

I have three d5 sauce pans (worth. every. penny! swoon. I get them at marshall's or tjmaxx to be sensitive to my wallet)  - what size do you use?   the 3qt and the 4qt have the same base, but the 4qt  is taller.

I'm slowly replacing pots with all-clad d5 or cast iron (depends what I"m cooking) . and cast iron is very cheap. there really is a difference in performance.

We've been using the same Presto air popper for over a decade. I'm not afraid of fat as long as that fat is real butter :-). I also buy the popcorn salt.

we had a presto for who knows how long - dh put in too much popcorn, and burned out the motor.  this one (great northern) was six months old.  :glare:   I didn't put anymore popcorn in it than I always do.  dh took it apart to fix it - the motor was also burned out.  not worth fixing.

I do popcorn in my heavy saucepan but I do have a rice cooker and love it.  My stove is wonky and doing rice on it uses up a burner I don't have to spare.  My "saute things to put over rice" pan is huge which knocks out the adjacent two burners for use, and the fourth one is in a corner between stove back and fridge with poor air circulation so I have to be careful with it or plastic parts of the stove back will melt.  (Note to kitchen remodelers - don't put your stove right next to your fridge!)  Plus, I don't have to watch the rice, and I can steam fish and veggies in the steamer basket to make a complete healthy meal for one or two.

Same - If you've got a good heavy pot, burning is unlikely even if you're not paying perfect attention.  And I"ve experimented enough to know the exact amount of kernels to add to minimize unpopped kernels.

YIKES!!!  Be super careful about putting cold water into a hot pan.  You could end up cracking the pan.  Use hot water instead, or leave the pan to cool a bit first.  

)

we have a rice cooker - saves the hassle and a burner.  especially if I'm using my 6qt saute pan (which I strongly prefer to dh's electric skillet. which has since been relegated to the basement.)

I'd love LOVE to get rid of his deep fat fryer - it's so gross.  I refuse to touch it!

and I can use my 8qt french oven with a basket on my gas stove top . . .

I'm with you on that.

I've done carmal corn in the microwave- heavily greased bag, throw in *already* popped corn. adjust for power . . . rarely had an issue.  started buying pam to make it easier.

I've used the same not-perfectly-sized pot for over 20 years...  my dad used to make popcorn almost every night.  His pot had better proportions and didn't overflow, lol...

I see that, but I already own an air popper, so I don't watch it, and the only thing I dirty is the bowl that I put in the dishwasher.  I do add fat, but it's in butter form.  Don't tell Alton Brown on me!