Menu

Bathroom remodel WWYD? - shower or tub

Aura

We're going to be redoing our upstairs bathroom. We're also wanting to sell soon, as in, this year. Our goal in all our repairs and remodels is to sell this home as a move-in ready, family home. So here's the breakdown:

There are three bedrooms upstairs and a full bath. There's also a half bath and the master bath downstairs.

The master bath has a nice, long tub. I loved it when it came to giving kiddos a bath. I could easily fit three in it, and the larger master bathroom gave me plenty of room to move and take care of the kids. There's ample room between the sinks, and I even used that space as a changing table for a little while.

The upstairs bathroom is cramped. We're going to maximize space as much as possible, but still, it's just not as much room.

The upstairs bathroom will be split in two rooms: a bathroom plus a small powder room (just a sink). This is necessary because we have SIX kids upstairs, and they need to be able to get to a sink when the tub/toilet area is occupied. (Think everyone having to brush teeth in the mornings while you're all trying to get out the door at the same time.)

So, with all that in mind, would you keep a tub in the upstairs bathroom, or would you put a walk-in shower?

It really is so much easier to bathe little ones downstairs, that I don't see that being an issue. The upstairs bathroom would be for those old enough to take baths/showers on their own.

If you were looking to buy a house, how important is it to you to have a bathtub versus having a very nice, walk-in shower?

Here's a picture of a bathroom similar to what we'd do if we keep a tub. It's even got almost the same amount of space, which you can tell is not much:

ded1fdb6a18cfa8ecd3d91b75ee38941.jpg

Here's another image of what we're thinking with a walk-in shower:

252431e5619998227663eda11f766a9d.jpg

We lived in a house with only a bathtub for almost 18 years, including almost 8 of those with kids.  It worked just fine for us.  But we finally had the funds and found the space to put in a walk-in shower and I love it.   However - no one else uses it.  I suspect that will change though as the kids get older.

I would probably put in the walk in shower as you already have the tub on the main floor.  Some might want the tub closer to the bedrooms, but I haven't found that to be too much of an issue - our upstairs is split between levels and the bathroom and tub are fairly far from the bedrooms and up half a flight a stairs.

I'd make the upstairs a shower/bath combo.  Next folks owning the house may want to wash any kidlets next to their bedrooms.  And, I'd see if I could squeeze an extra toilet in that powder room. Just a sink and I imagine  potential buyers asking where is the extra toilet?. BUT - if there is not much room, then skip the extra powder room altogether and keep as much space as possible in the one full bath upstairs.  You are moving within a year, not worth cramming in an extra sink (kids can go downstairs if need be).  Odds are potential buyers would be put-off by a powder room stealing space from the full bath.  Most buyers won't have six kids, and one full bath upstairs is fine.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 5

There's not enough room to do another toilet. Currently, the bathroom is split with the tub & toilet in one room and two sinks in the other.

We do have a realtor. I might shoot him an email, but I was curious what actual moms liked.

Is there a way to split the toilet/tub from the sinks without making it two separate rooms? Our bathroom upstairs has two sinks in one part of the bathroom, and the tub/toilet in another, but we have a pocket door separating the two areas. This allows the sinks to be used even if someone is showering or going to the bathroom. I might be misunderstanding how you're splitting the upstairs bathroom, but I thought I'd throw the pocket door idea out there.

In regards to the bathtub vs. shower, I'd prefer a bathtub/shower combo. It sounds like the layout is more of a family style, so three bedrooms upstairs will most likely be used for kids. I prefer not to have to lug kid stuff up and down the stairs as much as possible, but that's just my personal preference. 😊

Hopefully your realtor can give you some good advice. Good luck!

• Like 3

You have 6 kids up there sharing, but will most potential buyers have that many? That's something I'd keep in mind as I decide. A realtor in my neighborhood recently told me that the remodeling trend he was seeing quite a bit of is to take the tub out of the master and replace that one with a spacious walk-in shower.

Personally, I'd prefer a shower/tub combo on the kids level, as it's a good transition from kid to tween/teen.

• Like 3

We bought our last house (this one) with just one tub. 2.5 bathroom - Master bathroom has a large garden/spa tub, other bathroom has a walk in shower.

If I had littles, I don't believe I would have ever considered this house due to just one tub. Maybe I would have, but it is nice to have a smaller tub for kids to bath in vs. the large master garden/spa tub. But my kids were 11 & 13, so I thought a walk in shower was fine.

So, I'd go for a tub/shower upstairs.

• Like 1

Just realized, every house I have lived in, the upstairs full bath has been a shower/tub combo.  Downstairs (or master suite in ranch house we lived in when I was a kidlet) would be a shower only.  Two story house we live in now, with five adults (down from six, one "kid" moved out) has ONE full bath, with shower/tub combo and one sink, upstairs.  One small bathroom with tight shower, small sink and toilet is downstairs.  Yup, that is it.  DD and I share bathroom in the mornings (just no flushing if someone is in the shower!!!).  Hubby has a backup toothbrush in kitchen in case he can't get to a bathroom sink before he has to leave in the morning (adult son with autism takes FOREVER in downstairs powder room and won't share!).  We manage.

I do drool over some of the bathrooms I see on those HGTV shows, I will admit! :-)

Edited by JFSinIL

I know you've already made your choice but wanted to throw out that dd has four kids ranging from 2- 9 years old and they all shower. Rarely do they take baths. Showers are so much faster and they live at the beach so they sometimes shower a couple of times a day to rinse off salt water and sand. 

We recently remodeled our master bath and went with a walk in shower and no tub. No regrets, and we're planning to put it on the market fairly soon. 

I would not want to bathe my children in the master bathtub; I would want a tub in their bathroom. I think you want to maximize the people your house will appeal to, and if you have no tub upstairs, some will not buy it for that reason.

This. I would not want to use the master tub down stairs to bath littles. I think the tub shower combo is better for resale.

• Like 2

a

I'd make the upstairs a shower/bath combo.  Next folks owning the house may want to wash any kidlets next to their bedrooms.  And, I'd see if I could squeeze an extra toilet in that powder room. Just a sink and I imagine  potential buyers asking where is the extra toilet?. BUT - if there is not much room, then skip the extra powder room altogether and keep as much space as possible in the one full bath upstairs.  You are moving within a year, not worth cramming in an extra sink (kids can go downstairs if need be).  Odds are potential buyers would be put-off by a powder room stealing space from the full bath.  Most buyers won't have six kids, and one full bath upstairs is fine.

this.

it would be one thing if you were going to be  living here for at least several more years, but you're talking selling this year.

I preferred to wash my kids where their bedrooms are.  they reach the age they take baths to play in the water - and I want them OUT of my bathroom!   I would do a tub shower combo in a bathroom by kids bedrooms.  

i'd see that extra sink in a room by itself - and yes, I will wonder where's the toilet?  I would also look at that and start running $$ and time in my head about what it would take to 'fix' it. and asking myself if I want the bother?  (knowing that it was just done this year - i'd wonder how much I might be paying for something I was just going to rip out?)  unless you live in a very tight market, I might just move on to the next house, or offer less.

I'd suggest you look at reconfiguring the space, and especially how much more room there will be with those walls gone.

• Like 1

You have 6 kids up there sharing, but will most potential buyers have that many? That's something I'd keep in mind as I decide. A realtor in my neighborhood recently told me that the remodeling trend he was seeing quite a bit of is to take the tub out of the master and replace that one with a spacious walk-in shower.

my dd's house is two years old - that's how her's was built.  she has a bigish tub in the hallway/future-kid's bedrooms bathroom.  big walk-in shower in the master.  they like it that way.  and a powder room on the main level.

• Like 2

I'd want to bathe the kids near their bedrooms.

I'm having trouble picturing the two rooms one with sinks and one with tub and toilet. If you are staying and that works for you keep it. But what are buyers expecting. I'd consider remodeling to have a bath/shower combo and combine the rooms so there is a sink in with the tub and toilet.

• Like 1

I do hear what y'all are saying about just making it one larger room, but suppose you have 3 kids upstairs all trying to get ready for school at once, wouldn't you want an extra sink to access while someone else is in the shower/toilet?

And who wants to haul their toothbrush downstairs if their main bathroom is occupied? Do they plan on keeping their toothbrush in their bedroom just in case the bathroom is busy in the morning? 

This is not an uncommon design, so I don't think anyone is going to wonder where the toilet is.

This is basically the floor plan we're looking at. Currently, there are double sinks in the sink area. We would move the wall to put one sink in the tub/toilet area and keep one sink in a separate area. It's not an uncommon design, so I don't think anyone is going to wonder where the toilet it. It's really more of one bathroom that's been divided. And yes, we are planning on pocket doors.

small_bathroom_floor_plan_with_private_t

I'm not trying to be difficult. I am listening and considering what you're saying. I just want to make sure we're all understanding each other. I am seriously considering making it one large bathroom, but I just see more advantages to being able to close one door and still have the rest of the upstairs occupants able to access a sink.

• Like 2

Give each child a bucket to hold his/her bathroom supplies. The supplies are now portable and can be stored in the children’s bedrooms.  Children of the same sex share bathroom time.  One can shower while others are getting ready at the sink.  Children of the opposite sex take their buckets to any available sink and get ready there.  If you put mirrors in their bedrooms, hair can be groomed there.

I would not divide an already cramped bathroom. Tearing out any such division would be high on my remodeling wants list.

I prefer a tub/shower combo in a children’s bathroom as some children prefer baths to showers. 

I also prefer an opaque shower curtain to a glass door.  For me, practicality outweighs aesthetics. A curtain provides more privacy in a shared bathroom.  It is easily moved out of the way for bathing a small child or cleaning the tub itself. (The picture you posted is lovely, but how do you clean that tub?)

• Like 3

I do hear what y'all are saying about just making it one larger room, but suppose you have 3 kids upstairs all trying to get ready for school at once, wouldn't you want an extra sink to access while someone else is in the shower/toilet?

And who wants to haul their toothbrush downstairs if their main bathroom is occupied? Do they plan on keeping their toothbrush in their bedroom just in case the bathroom is busy in the morning?

This is not an uncommon design, so I don't think anyone is going to wonder where the toilet is.

This is basically the floor plan we're looking at. Currently, there are double sinks in the sink area. We would move the wall to put one sink in the tub/toilet area and keep one sink in a separate area. It's not an uncommon design, so I don't think anyone is going to wonder where the toilet it. It's really more of one bathroom that's been divided. And yes, we are planning on pocket doors.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I am listening and considering what you're saying. I just want to make sure we're all understanding each other. I am seriously considering making it one large bathroom, but I just see more advantages to being able to close one door and still have the rest of the upstairs occupants able to access a sink.

That's not weird at all. It's how almost all jack and Jill baths are set up and it makes a lot of sense for a shared bath.

I would definitely do the tub/shower but I personally LOATHE doors on a bathtub. I do not want to clean door tracks and I don't want to have to lean over them and deal with the doors while bathing littles.

• Like 3

Give each child a bucket to hold his/her bathroom supplies. The supplies are now portable and can be stored in the children’s bedrooms.  Children of the same sex share bathroom time.  One can shower while others are getting ready at the sink.  Children of the opposite sex take their buckets to any available sink and get ready there.  If you put mirrors in their bedrooms, hair can be groomed there.

I would not divide an already cramped bathroom. Tearing out any such division would be high on my remodeling wants list.

I prefer a tub/shower combo in a children’s bathroom as some children prefer baths to showers. 

I also prefer an opaque shower curtain to a glass door.  For me, practicality outweighs aesthetics. A curtain provides more privacy in a shared bathroom.  It is easily moved out of the way for bathing a small child or cleaning the tub itself. (The picture you posted is lovely, but how do you clean that tub?)

:iagree: We have 1/2 bath on our main level and a full bath upstairs with the bedroom.  We have a 3/4 bath in the basement that we rarely use.  We have tooth brush holders in both bathrooms upstairs and main (off of kitchen).  Plus an electric toothbrush lives in a corner in our kitchen.  Anyway, that has not been a big deal at our house. 

You may want to consider making one or both doors pocket doors, if space in the wall allows.

And yes, on days when all six of us were trying to get out of the house at the same time, every person had an extra toothbrush in the downstairs powder room. Toothbrushes are cheap and nobody actually wanted to have to go back upstairs after breakfast anyway. They would jostle to use the downstairs bathroom in the spare toothbrushes and the losers would actually have to go back upstairs!

• Like 2

The thing is you are planning to sell soon. Most families will not have the number of people you have competing for bathroom space, so I would not further cramp the bathroom by adding another wall. 

I'd make a rule that people taking showers have to leave the door unlocked for others to come use the sink (you need an opaque shower curtain) . The suggestion by another poster of everyone keeping toiletries in a bucket in their room so they can go to the half bath for some things is also good. 

If you were planning to stay, I'd say do whatever works for you. 

• Like 2

That makes sense! Can you use a pocket door to maximize space? I hate knocking into a door bathing the kids, and I would leave the door open because it gets claustrophobic for me. Too many people in a tiny space! (But I'm crazy.)

In a similar circumstance, we took out the tub and put in a walk-in shower.  For this house, it was a plus.  There was what they call a 5-piece master (separate walk-in shower and big long tub) upstairs and a tub/shower combo int he guest area downstairs.  

My dh and I were talking about this the other day and agreed that as long as there was 1 tub somewhere in the house, that would be enough.  We are NOT going to remodel this house we are in, but if we were to do so, we would totally take out the second tub and put in a walk-in shower.  

BUT I think a lot depends on the specific house.  In our house, there is no tub on the main level, so both the master and the other tub are on the second floor.  It's a 4br house, FWIW.

In our old house, we had a similar arrangement.  We did the pocket door and it made the room seem bigger.  Come to think of it, we did the pocket door for both of these doors.  

If you can do pocket doors, I like the idea of the 2nd sink being separate.   Another family with fewer kids needing to access the bathroom may use it as one large bathroom, but a pocket door would allow either option.

Keep the tub/shower combo.   I agree with others about nixing the sliding door on the tub.   It's extremely difficult to clean, hurts your stomach to bend over on it while bathing small children, and isn't opaque like a shower curtain (for privacy).   For little kids, I'd want a tub near their bedrooms.   For older kids/teens, they want the privacy of an opaque shower curtain so I can stick my head in the room to remind them (gently, of course) when they're using up all of the hot water and their sibling needs to shower too.   My 12-year-old DD still loves to take a bubble bath occasionally too.   Tub/shower combo gives you the most flexibility.

• Like 2

Your layout for the separated bath is not unusual at all.  I have always seen these(very common in my area) with hinged doors.

We are replacing our master tub/shower with a walk in shower.  We do have a tub/shower combo in the shared bathroom off the other bedrooms.  Our realtor said to just make sure there is a tub in the house somewhere.  Those walk in large showers are so popular for so many reasons. I asked about it being considered a 3/4 bath.  He said not to worry.  If it was the ONLY bathroom or even a second bath(like listed as a 3/4 bath house or 1 3/4 bath) that might be an issue.

I don't know if you can use the word "haul" in relation to a toothbrush, lol.

That's just not a big deal to me at all. I grew up with 6 people sharing one bathroom, and everybody managed to brush their teeth and get out of the door just fine. We would have been in high cotton had a second bathroom been a short walk away. Yes, they could certainly keep their toothbrush in a cup on their dresser, and then head to the most convenient place for brushing. Walking up and down stairs is healthy! 

I don't know if any of the configurations would help or hurt when selling the house. Mostly I just don't understand how a bathroom remodel is considered less of an aggravation than walking to a second bathroom to brush your teeth for a while. Even if you pay someone to do it, it's a pain in the keister.

• Like 1

I would do the big shower and skip the tub. I think tubs have short usage lives in general, and since you have one in the master that you intend to keep, it's fine. I think the walk in shower is actually safer for littles and will look nicer. I don't think separating the sink from the toilet/shower area is weird. We see that often. My DDs share a Jack and Jill bathroom and they have 2 sinks in one area, and then a door that leads to their toilet and tub. I think it's much cleaner to keep the toilet closed away from the sink! 

But really, I'd do what the kids who use it prefer. I doubt it will make a huge factor in someone else's purchasing decision as long as whatever you have is nice and functional. 

I always prefer a tub + shower combo instead of a shower alone. My kids like to take baths sometimes instead of showers and I prefer that they do it in their bathroom instead of mine. (I only bathe the youngest in my tub since it's easier to access than the kids' tub.)

I have six kids, too, and the sink in one room/toilet + bathing in another is definitely a nice set-up. In real estate terms, a shower only is considered 3/4 bath instead of a full bath. I grew up sharing one bathroom with five siblings and mornings were rough. I had to wake up at 5 to catch a turn in the shower. I did my hair and such at a mirror in my bedroom since other kids needed to shower and the bathroom was tiny with tub/shower, toilet, and sink all in the same room.

Edited by Veritaserum
  • Like 1

So....I should definitely keep the tub/shower combo. Glad you all agree w/ me.  :tongue_smilie:

I think there's a little confusion, though, the design I showed is not exact. It's just the closest I could find. The tub/toilet area includes a sink. There is an additional sink in a separate room.

Yes, we are planning on pocket doors. I love pocket doors!  :001_smile:

It seems that most of you would rather have a curtain instead of doors. Is that true?

(Y'all are awesome, by the way!)

• Like 1

I always prefer a tub + shower combo instead of a shower alone. My kids like to take baths sometimes instead of showers and I prefer that they do it in their bathroom instead of mine. (I only bathe the youngest in my tub since it's easier to access than the kids' tub.)

I have six kids, too, and the sink in one room/toilet + bathing in another is definitely a nice set-up. In real estate terms, a shower only is considered 3/4 bath instead of a full bath. I grew up sharing one bathroom with five siblings and mornings were rough. I had to wake up at 5 to catch a turn in the shower. I did my hair and such at a mirror in my bedroom since other kids needed to shower and the bathroom was tiny with tub/shower, toilet, and sink all in the same room.

This post made me wonder about something. At what point did people start doing their entire get ready routine in a long bathroom session? As veritaserum points out, we used to just toilet and shower and go to our rooms in a bathrobe to finish dressing, makeup, hair styling. Now I know I personally do it all in my small bathroom. I'd be in trouble if I had to share with lots of siblings!

Are your housemates just showering and moving along, or doing the entire dressing process? Maybe that's why we need more bathrooms these days. Or like the chicken and egg, we've developed these habits as homes have grown with more bathrooms.

Just a random rabbit trail...

• Like 1

This post made me wonder about something. At what point did people start doing their entire get ready routine in a long bathroom session? As veritaserum points out, we used to just toilet and shower and go to our rooms in a bathrobe to finish dressing, makeup, hair styling. Now I know I personally do it all in my small bathroom. I'd be in trouble if I had to share with lots of siblings!

Are your housemates just showering and moving along, or doing the entire dressing process? Maybe that's why we need more bathrooms these days. Or like the chicken and egg, we've developed these habits as homes have grown with more bathrooms.

Just a random rabbit trail...

In our house we mostly shower then use the bedroom to get dressed and stuff. Dd and I have long hair so we put a turbie twist on and go back to the bathroom later to blow dry our hair. I recently bought an antique dressing table and would love to have that in my bedroom to use. (It's slated to go in the guest room as it's part of a set)

Dd does her makeup in her bedroom. 

My sister in law takes 90 minutes to shower and get ready for her day and she does it all at once- she goes in the bathroom and comes out 90 minutes later.  That would drive me nuts but it works for her- they have four bathrooms for two people. 

• Like 1

We have 1.5 baths for our seven person family, and all toothbrushes are in the main bath. We don't have scheduling issues, so I guess I'm not sure what we do different? This morning I woke up, used the toilet, jumped in the shower. A couple kids brushed their teeth while I was showering. I left to get dressed in my room while the girls came in to do their hair in the big bathroom. I then worked on mine in the small bathroom. One of the boys needed to shower, so the girls exited for a few minutes while he used the toilet and jumped into the shower. Once in, the girls came back to finish their hair and brush their teeth. If everyone works together, a family of seven can get ready pretty efficiently with 1.5 baths. All my kids can shower in 5 min, and others can brush teeth while the shower is busy.